Are "waterproof" watches really waterproof?

Charles Harden

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00

Igor wrote:

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?

165 feet(50m) should be fine for everything that you do. I personally
always buy 200m watches, because they seem to be more rugged, in terms
of taking abuse, like dropping, than lesser watches. Don't use any of
the buttons underwater though.

> Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> other solvents. Is that safe for it?

The solvents could do something to the seals. I'm not certain. Most of
the solvents aren't too good for you, either. you should wear rubber
gloves (and slide it over your watch).

Gunner

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
On 13 Oct 2000 15:37:57 GMT, ig...@algebra.com (Igor) wrote:

>A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
>to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
>dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
>include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
>tub. Is this safe for this watch?
>

>Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
>other solvents. Is that safe for it?
>

>Another question, it is made of titanium or at least coated with titanium.
>Can I expect it to hold up well? I tried to scratch it with average
>hardness steel (scissors) and basically could not scratch it. I assume
>that this titanium is a good thing. I know that it's harder than steel
>and does not rust. Any comments on "titanium" watches?
>
>Thanks

Growing up in a watchmakers family... I can say that there are no such
things as Waterproof Watches. Now.. The vast majority of them are so
close as to make no difference. I wear a plastic cased Casio G-shock
for work, and I am subjected to all manner of nasty chemicals, as well
as having worn it while diving well below 30 ft. After 5 years, its
still fine. I do sorta collect Seiko Automatics, and have some divers
and Sport watches that are well over 30 yrs old, that have had the
same sort of abuse given to them, and all still are just fine.

The Armitron watches have a good name for a low end watch, and Ive had
several. Hell yes, wear the danged thing and forget about it. Unless
you bust the crystal, it should be just fine for the things you
mentioned.

As far as Titanium goes.. its a gimmick. Its a marvelous material, and
makes great watches, but so does the lower priced stainless steel. If
you manage to ding a SS watch case badly.. the chances of you needing
a fast trip to the ER, is quite high. The titanium makes, case for
case.. it a bit lighter, but thats the only advantage I can see. The
advantage of titanium, is that it will make quality SS watches less
expensive as the new and improved Ti cases are introduced.

YMMV

Gunner

MPerlst216

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
most of the waterresitant watches are fine for boating until you change the
watch battery. then the seal is useless, unless you have the battery replaced
by a jewler.

bmc...@ti.com

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
I have a Skagen titanium watch. Had it since Feb. Was a $100 and is all
titanium as opposed to some that are coated for the look. I swim with it,
salt and fresh, work on the boat and computers and still looks the same.
For $50, you don't worry about the longevity. If you get a couple of years
out of it, it's an OK deal. I am hard on watrch's, and most of them seem to
last 6-7 years before failure. Seiko has supplied the last 2-3.
Bill

Charles Harden <mcha...@zebra.net> wrote in message

> Igor wrote:
> >
> > A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> > to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> > dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> > include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> > tub. Is this safe for this watch?
>

> 165 feet(50m) should be fine for everything that you do. I personally
> always buy 200m watches, because they seem to be more rugged, in terms
> of taking abuse, like dropping, than lesser watches. Don't use any of
> the buttons underwater though.
>

> > Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> > other solvents. Is that safe for it?

Jon V

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
On 13 Oct 2000, Igor wrote:

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?

It depends. In my experience, most 50M watches are "water resistant", and
will last through a shower but will fog up after a day of swimming.

On the other hand, for years I had a 50M watch that seemed to survive
anything. It never went below about 12 feet, but it spent a lot of time
there (something about a friend throwing it into a swimming pool). It
worked fine, even after its third new battery.

I switched to 200M watches a few years back for reasons best known to the
marketing departments of certain swiss watchmakers. As far as I can tell
the main difference is that the stalk is o-ring sealed and locks (screws)
down. There are no operational controls (pushbuttons) on that watch, so I
have no cautions about not using them.

> Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> other solvents. Is that safe for it?

Some solvents will attack anything organic, including parts of your watch.
Oil will be fine. If it is safe for your arm, it is safe for the watch.
You shouldn't be wearing the watch when working on an engine or in
proximity to electrical connections anyway. This is standard "car care"
advice. From personal experience, crossing a metallic watch band on the
back of a starter solenoid will make you jump, no matter how calm you like
to pretend you are.

> Another question, it is made of titanium or at least coated with titanium.
> Can I expect it to hold up well? I tried to scratch it with average
> hardness steel (scissors) and basically could not scratch it. I assume
> that this titanium is a good thing. I know that it's harder than steel
> and does not rust. Any comments on "titanium" watches?

Sure. It is a fine material. If you can make a watch out of gold, which
has got to be about the worst material around for that application, you
can make one out of titanium. The main argument for titanium is that it is
light for its strength. It can be prettily anodized. The main argument for
titanium is that a lot of people like the sound of it, "Titanium," and
will pay a premium to be able to say it when showing off their new watch.

--
Jon
"It's the best thing since professional golfers on 'ludes."

Rod McInnis

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00

Igor wrote:

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater.

The usual claim for "depth" of water proofness is based on the pressure
that the case and/or seals will withstand. This is usually based on a
static pressure.

It is important to note that normal aquatic activities will subject
the watch to much greater dynamic loads. Just swimming will cause extra
pressure on the watch as your arm strokes through the water. Diving
into the water will create a sudden surge as you enter.

Scuba divers generally consider a suitable watch to be one that is
rated at 200 meters, even though they would never go anywhere near that
depth.

My experience is that the waterproofness of any watch only lasts until
the first time you change the battery. On many watches, it is
impossible to get the seal back in place properly, and even if you get
it in place it may not get a good seal.

I would expect your $50 watch to be just fine for washing your hands,
and even for casual swimming. Don't take it diving.

Rod McInnis

bmc...@ti.com

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
I like my titanium watch cause the thing weights practically nothing.
Bill

Jon V <j...@valesh.com> wrote in message

> On 13 Oct 2000, Igor wrote:
>
> > A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims

John P Reber

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00

"MPerlst216" <mperl...@aol.com> wrote in message

Even most jewler's don't replace a waterresistant battery properly. In order
for the watch to be properly sealed the battery must be replaced with the
watch under pressure during the replacement...

hkr...@capu.net

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00

I have a 25 year old mechanical watch that is still "waterproof," in
that it has never taken in any during many years of swimming and
snorkeling. I also have a "Navy Seals" waterproof watch on which the
battery has been replaced. It doesn't leak, either.

--
Harry Krause
------------

Middle-aged and crazy and enjoying every minute of it

RBStern

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
I'm very hard on watches. My Armitron Pro Sport is water resistant to 100
feet. I wear it swimming, fishing, boating, woodworking, sports, whatever.
After a year, it's fine as far as water resistance is concerned. Of course,
it's scratched, worn, and ugly (ok, it was ugly out of the box).

My watch buying philosphy: I have one nice gold watch that I will hopefully
give to my son one day. It stays at home for all but the most important
occassions.

All other watches costs no more than $25, must have a stopwatch and alarm, be
water resistant to some degree, and cause me no regret whatsoever when I lose
it or toss it in the trash after a year or two. If I'm around a baby or a
toddler who is crying, I take the watch off and let them play with it, so it
gets chewed on, too. The lights and beeps usually quiet them for at least a
few minutes.

Each time I go through the buying process, I almost break down and buy one of
the neat looking $100 watches that do all the same things. But I come to my
senses and get brand X, Y, or Z, usually for $20, and I'm ok for another couple
of years.

-- Rich Stern

Lloyd Sumpter

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
RBStern wrote:

> I'm very hard on watches. My Armitron Pro Sport is water resistant to 100
> feet. I wear it swimming, fishing, boating, woodworking, sports, whatever.
> After a year, it's fine as far as water resistance is concerned. Of course,
> it's scratched, worn, and ugly (ok, it was ugly out of the box).
>
> My watch buying philosphy: I have one nice gold watch that I will hopefully
> give to my son one day. It stays at home for all but the most important
> occassions.
>
> All other watches costs no more than $25, must have a stopwatch and alarm, be
> water resistant to some degree, and cause me no regret whatsoever when I lose
> it or toss it in the trash after a year or two. ...

I won a Rolex in a sailing race (long story), and I kept it a couple of
years, until I was tired of spending $150 or so every year to get it "tuned"
enough that it more-or-less kept good time. I sold it to a guy at work for $600,
and bought a $30 Timex.
Where we worked (downtown Vancouver), a horn went off at EXACTLY 12:00 noon
every day. One time I ran into Roman's office, and counted
down..5..4..3..2..1...pointed, and the horn sounded. I said "try THAT with your
$600 Rolex!".
BTW, 5 years later, that Timex is still on my wrist, keeping
as-near-as-dammit to perfect time. And it's been in the salt chuck more than a
few times...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Stinky" Fibrecraft 14 - http://members.home.net/lsumpter/Stinky

Brian Wagner

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Rod McInnis wrote:

> My experience is that the waterproofness of any watch only lasts until
> the first time you change the battery. On many watches, it is
> impossible to get the seal back in place properly, and even if you get
> it in place it may not get a good seal.

My experience: Casio $29 stainless case 100m watch. Ocean dives to 130
fsw with no problem after second battery replacement, both battery
replacements done at home on the kitchen table. That said, one caveat
for the original poster - I sold and serviced these watches when I was
in college, and Casio's low end were better made than Armitron's best,
so you may not have the same success.

The seal is an O-ring, just like in your lights, computer, or Nikonos,
and should be handled the same way. Don't let the 16 year old airhead
working the Battery Hut kiosk at the mall change your battery. Get some
silicone grease, a clean working area, and the roper tools.

Kevin Steele

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00

> As far as Titanium goes.. its a gimmick. Its a marvelous material, and
> makes great watches, but so does the lower priced stainless steel. If
> you manage to ding a SS watch case badly.. the chances of you needing
> a fast trip to the ER, is quite high. The titanium makes, case for
> case.. it a bit lighter, but thats the only advantage I can see. The
> advantage of titanium, is that it will make quality SS watches less
> expensive as the new and improved Ti cases are introduced.

Watches can be more protective than you think. Quite a few years ago when I
was in the Scouts I was trying to chop off a tree branch with a 6" bowie
knife (which was very sharp). I missed the branch and hit my wrist, right
where my watch was. I think I still have the digital watch with stainless
steel case -and a surprisingly large chunk missing. I was VERRY glad that I
has the watch on at the time. It certainly avoided a trip to hospital for
me!

Regards

Kevin Steele

Don White

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
Wish I could have found those cheap titanium watches last Christmas.
My wife bought me the Swiss Army Titanium which everyone in town sells
for $ 595.00 CDN
Believe it or not that's cheaper than the US.
I checked all the internet mail order businesses I could find and
everyone wanted $495.00 US for the same watch.
I drove myself crazy the first few months running down to our master
control room where our clocks are accurate to the second (with the
atomic clock).
I just reset the watch last week It had gained about 30 seconds in 10
months...well within
it's guarantee of accuracy.
Over & above the lightness and durability factor...titanium is
hypoallergenic, great for those of us
allergic to nickel in the base metal/chrome watches or cheaper grades of
stainless steel.

Websurfer

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
I bought a $25 waterproof Timex Expedition
watch in K-mart and has been good on land
and under water for 2 years so far.
Battery is still good!

Igor wrote:

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?
>

> Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> other solvents. Is that safe for it?
>

> Another question, it is made of titanium or at least coated with titanium.
> Can I expect it to hold up well? I tried to scratch it with average
> hardness steel (scissors) and basically could not scratch it. I assume
> that this titanium is a good thing. I know that it's harder than steel
> and does not rust. Any comments on "titanium" watches?
>

> Thanks

> Do your algebra homework at http://www.algebra.com
> Solve: x^2+4x+3=0 Plot: y=3*sin(x^2) Ask Questions Word Problems
> http://www.algebra.com

Terry Miller

Oct 13, 2000, 9:21:50 PM10/13/00
"Kevin Steele" <xl...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

> Watches can be more protective than you think. Quite a few years
ago when I
> was in the Scouts I was trying to chop off a tree branch with a 6"
bowie
> knife (which was very sharp). I missed the branch and hit my wrist,
right
> where my watch was.

I'll be needing one of the corners from your Tote-N-Chip card,
please...

Terry Miller
Assistant Scout Master - Troop 543

JFG

Oct 13, 2000, 10:34:56 PM10/13/00
Igor,
My father gave me his old watch when I was a kid, and it had the same self
winding mechanism. I think he might have purchased it in the late 30's
early 40's.

--

Jim
---

"Igor" <ig...@algebra.com> wrote in message
> Back in Russia, we had these really neat watches. They were self-winding,
> they had an inertial mechanism of sorts that was brought to action
> by any motion of the human body, like when walking etc. It would the
> spiral spring. So as long as you wore the watch more or less every day,
> it never required winding or new batteries.

Larry W4CSC

Oct 13, 2000, 11:15:51 PM10/13/00
Only TIMEX watches are truly waterproof. I used to watch John Cameron
Swazye prove it in the 1950's. He strapped a TIMEX windup watch to a
Mercury outboard prop. They ran it WOT up the lake and back and
WITHOUT changing the camera scene so there were no tricks would haul
that outboard out of the water and there was that little $5 TIMEX with
the second hand just tickin' away just like it should. It was
probably one of the most successful ad campaigns ever on TV.

I must watched 'em do that 500 times a week and every ONE of them
Timex's worked perfectly!

larry...

Paul Schilter

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

"Larry W4CSC" <nob...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

And I thought my life was boring!

> larry...

JAXAshby

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
You have not been able to buy a truly waterproof watch (it says so right on the
package) in the United States since sometime in the 60's.

The FTC declared "waterproof" to be false advertising. Watches were "water
resistant" or "waterproof to xx feet".

Doesn't make any difference to me because the damned things break long before I
get to try them out at 600 meters depth.

Joe

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?

Should work ok, if not you're out $50. I am a diver and have several
watches, some cheap, some expensive. The only differences I've found
between the cheap and expensive watches is the depth they are good for.
If the watch is going to flood it will probably do so the first time it's in
the water. Other than that it will most likely be ok.

Joe

JDavis1277

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Igor,

Incabloc (sp?), I believe is the movement to which you referred.

Butch

Ted Edwards

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
> Only TIMEX watches are truly waterproof. I used to watch John
Cameron

I have a Casio that I have had for close on twenty years. Replaced the
battery twice. Wear it in the shower, swiming, ... . Still works great
inspite of numerous bashes and scratches on the "crystal".

Ted

George Jefferson

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

:Only TIMEX watches are truly waterproof. I used to watch John Cameron

maybe in the 50's. I have a Timex "expedition" (50m rating).
I wore it jet skiing one time and it took on water.
Ok, thats harsh treatment, I fall hard a lot <g>, but still I expected
it to take a licking as they say. In fairness it is still ticking
but its had to read since it looks like a little terrarium.

--
george jefferson : geo...@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu
to reply simply press "r"

Larry W4CSC

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

I took my Casio down 780 ft aboard USS Pennsylvania (SSBN-735). It
must be waterproof, it's still working! No, silly, not the watch, the
PENNSYLVANIA!

larry....that's as deep as I've ever been cold sober.

Larry W4CSC

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 07:58:20 -0400, Ted Edwards
<Te...@bc.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> Only TIMEX watches are truly waterproof. I used to watch John
>Cameron
>

>I have a Casio that I have had for close on twenty years. Replaced the
>battery twice. Wear it in the shower, swiming, ... . Still works great
>inspite of numerous bashes and scratches on the "crystal".
>
>Ted

Mine ran perfect until the day I forgot to put the plug into the
jetboat in Charleston Harbor. In a panic, I jumped down onto the swim
platform over the jet pump and thrust my hand underwater to insert the
plug. You got it, my Casio was on my wrist. The display was BLANK
when I brought it back up after 15 seconds finding and screwing the
plug in while the bilge pump DROWN me in front of the outlet.

Stupid Sea Ray. They musta KNOWN whoever was trying to get those
forgotten plugs in would HAVE to stand behind the bilge pump outlet!

larry

Khordas the Salamander

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

I thought that you only got a corner of the card if he cut
himself.......
not if his official scout wrist-armor deflected the blow.

Khordas

J R North

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
I haven't worn a watch in 25 years- never seemed to need
one. All they do is increase your stress level.
JR

Igor wrote:

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?
>

> Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> other solvents. Is that safe for it?
>
> Another question, it is made of titanium or at least coated with titanium.
> Can I expect it to hold up well? I tried to scratch it with average
> hardness steel (scissors) and basically could not scratch it. I assume
> that this titanium is a good thing. I know that it's harder than steel
> and does not rust. Any comments on "titanium" watches?
>
> Thanks

> Do your algebra homework at http://www.algebra.com
> Solve: x^2+4x+3=0 Plot: y=3*sin(x^2) Ask Questions Word Problems
> http://www.algebra.com

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Eastburn

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Watches hold the deep water - pressure sealed - when only made at the
factory.

Once you replace the battery - even an authorized dealer - the seal
isn't there.

I have a Bulova that was rated to 50 M - wore it in the shower and all.
Company watch - high quality level. Then I replaced (had it done)
battery
- which was tough to find a dealer that would change it - a shower would
force water into it. Now it is always off when in the shower...

Martin
--
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

Deepdiver

Oct 14, 2000, 8:40:28 PM10/14/00
Only if they stay out of the water !

--

Deepdiver

deep...@bigpond.com
pob...@yahoo.com.au

ICQ: 13589468
*********************************

Don White

Oct 14, 2000, 9:00:09 PM10/14/00
Igor...
A jeweller warned me that titanium would show scratches more so than
good stainless steel....
and he is right.
My Swiss Army titanium will show marks if you scratch it. The sapphire
mineral crystal on the
other hand is amazing so far.
Another jewellry store owner told me you could take something sharp and
try to gouge it without harm.
Yea.....sure...I'm not as dumb as I look ...
but so far my crystal is still perfect.
(knock on wood)

Larry W4CSC

Oct 14, 2000, 9:33:48 PM10/14/00
On 14 Oct 2000 21:06:32 GMT, geo...@sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu ( George
Jefferson ) wrote:

>:Only TIMEX watches are truly waterproof. I used to watch John Cameron
>
>maybe in the 50's. I have a Timex "expedition" (50m rating).
>I wore it jet skiing one time and it took on water.
>Ok, thats harsh treatment, I fall hard a lot <g>, but still I expected
>it to take a licking as they say. In fairness it is still ticking
>but its had to read since it looks like a little terrarium.

Oh, that's not a REAL timex. REAL Timexes "tick", not click.

Carl Byrns

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Khordas the Salamander wrote:
> I thought that you only got a corner of the card if he cut
> himself.......
> not if his official scout wrist-armor deflected the blow.
>
> Khordas

Nope. Any mis-use is grounds for corner removal. At least for the Cub's
Whittling Chip.

Carl
Den Leader Webelos 1 - Pack 65
(and all around good guy)

Dan Bracuk

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
From Eastburn
" Watches hold the deep water - pressure sealed - when only made at
the factory. Once you replace the battery - even an authorized
dealer - the seal isn't there. "

But sometimes the watch is still waterproof. I have a Casio that is
on its third battery, and I still dive with it.

Dan Bracuk
Toronto, Canada
Never use a big word when a minuscule one will do.
Best of Rec.Scuba http://www.crosswinds.net/~recdotscuba/index.htm

Husband and Wife

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Someone famous whose name I don't recall wrote:
>A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch,

My view.
I have two good watches (a Tag Heuer that cost $650, and a LaSalle that cost just over $700) that
were purchased years ago, and I wouldn't put them in water, simply because I don't want to take the
risk.

However, I live near Manhattan, and right there in Chinatown, you can buy fake-brand watches all
day long that look for all the world (to the untrained eye) like Rolex and Piaget and any other
brand you can think of for $10 each. I bought six for $55... about what you'd pay for dinner for
two at a decent restaurant. I got a fake Rolex with brushed steel housing and band, a Tag Heuer
gold-look with nice brown leather strap, a silver-look with black leather, and a variety of others.
You can get a battery replaced for $4 (chinese, but they work fine) and leather straps for $3. I've
worn them swimming, hot-tubbing, showering, but I don't dive so I can't comment on deeper water use.
Only one of them has seriously leaked, which was after a week of swimming in salt water.

I like them because I can wear them for a casual look, a very dressy look, and some have different
colored faces, etc. And they make great gifts. My brother in law who lives in Italy gets
compliments on his Piaget all the time, and has bought several to give away to friends.
These are, I would guess, illegal, but there are at least 25 shops that sell hundreds of watches a
day right on Canal Street and have done so for years.

At those prices, the watches are virtually disposable, but look a lot better and last a lot longer
than the price you pay.

My wife has worn the same fake Rolex for over a year with one battery replacement, and she has had
requests from at leas six people to buy her one like it.

Chinatown is wonderful for watches and many other items. She bought a Dooney and Bourke purse for
$14 that she's been using for close to two years. Similar purse sells for $450 in Macy's. Hers
still looks new.

I also have to say that I honestly think they are as well made as the overpriced Timexes and Seikos
that sell for ten times more in Malls.

Keith

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
to ig...@algebra.com
Doubt it, for that price. If you want one that's really waterproof, get
a dive watch. There are some good ones for less than $100, and are made
to be in the water all the time. My favorite around $200 is the Navy
Seal watch. I almost NEVER take it off, have scuba dived to 130' with
it, and the taser lights that make it readable all night long in the
dark are great!

Igor wrote:

> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?
>
> Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> other solvents. Is that safe for it?
>
> Another question, it is made of titanium or at least coated with titanium.
> Can I expect it to hold up well? I tried to scratch it with average
> hardness steel (scissors) and basically could not scratch it. I assume
> that this titanium is a good thing. I know that it's harder than steel
> and does not rust. Any comments on "titanium" watches?
>
> Thanks

> Do your algebra homework at http://www.algebra.com
> Solve: x^2+4x+3=0 Plot: y=3*sin(x^2) Ask Questions Word Problems
> http://www.algebra.com

__________________
Keith
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

H NED Huntzinger

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Eastburn wrote:

> Watches hold the deep water - pressure sealed - when only made at the
> factory.
>
> Once you replace the battery - even an authorized dealer - the seal
> isn't there.

If you have the *factory* service center do the battery replacement, not
only will it retain its waterproofness, but they'll often give you a 30
day warranty that it will be.

I've done this for Casio's and have batted 1.000 with the factory center
on multiple battery changes over the past 2 decades (FWIW, they'll often
replace a broken strap as part of the ~$8 price, too).

And I've lost ancient cheap Casio divewatch when the factory center was
closed during a recent rennovation and I had a local jeweler do it two
days before a dive trip. Flooded. Ah, well...it worked out to around
$5/year, including batteries ;-). Bottom line is that any watch with a
compressible-one-time-only gasket has to go to the factory so that the
gasket gets replaced along with the battery.

-hh

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Husband and Wife wrote:

> Someone famous whose name I don't recall wrote:
> >A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch,

Isn't it amazing what the Chinese can do with spent plutonium? I mean,
I've read about turning swords into plowshares, but turning nuclear
waste into ersatz Rolex watch cases is some feat.

I have an old Rolex, a really old Rolex, a stainless and black Mariner,
that works perfectly. The fake Rolexes of this model that I've seen only
bear a superficial resemblance.

Guess I don't understand why someone would wear a "fake" of a
contemporary piece of jewelry. But I suppose there is a watch for every
wrist.

--
Harry Krause
------------

Teddy bears are better than valium

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00

Er, make that Submariner.
--
Harry Krause
------------

Protect your bagels -- put lox on them

Tormans <compulu@digital

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
I and a friend both have Casio G-Shocks, 200 M, about $60. They never come off
in the water, shower or spraying our citrus groves. No leaks and they seem to
hold up to anything. Skiing,snorkeling and Saltwater Fishing included.
Not to mention my 10 wk old Boxer puppy finds it a satisfying chew! :)

SeaRay Driver

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
I guess people get different mileage. I have two Casios that are 200M
rated watches. One is about 17 years old and I've replaced the
battery several times and has never leaked. It's been down to 103'
under water. My newer one is about 7 years old (bought it because of
the bigger buttons are easier to push with diving gloves on). I've
changed the batteries in it myself once. It's been down to around
100' also. Neither of these watches have ever leaked before or after
I changed the batteries. They have O rings in the backs of both of
them.

Mark Kinsler

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Well, the world changed a lot for the watchmaking crowd some years back.

The main rationale for a waterproof watch in pre-electronic days was that
it was dustproof and thus didn't need frequent cleanings. With the advent
of plastic snap-in crystals, it wasn't such a big deal to make a
waterproof watch: a gasket for the snap-on back and an O-ring for the
crown, and you were done. There was some official delineation between
"waterproof" and "water-resistant," too.

It really shouldn't be such a chore to make an electronic watch
indifferent to water: the IC doesn't care, nor does the LCD display. The
only difficultes are with the switch and battery contacts. In any case,
most plastic watches are inherently pretty waterproof. I wish that the
strap and the little whatsises that hold it to the case wouldn't bust on
my eleven-buck Casio F28W. Everything else lasts forever, it doesn't have
any alarms, and it shows the day and date and seconds readout on one
display. Battery's good for at least seven years or so.

M Kinsler
--
512 E. Mulberry St. Lancaster, Ohio USA 43130
Voice: 740.687.6368 Fax: 740.687.6108

Husband and Wife

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Someone famous whose name I don't recall wrote:
>I have an old Rolex, a really old Rolex, a stainless and black Mariner,
>that works perfectly. The fake Rolexes of this model that I've seen only
>bear a superficial resemblance.

As I said... "to the untrained eye..." Having never owned a Rolex, a long glance at your wrist still
wouldn't tell me the difference. I think the ones I've bought look great, and lots of other people
agree. They tell time with surprizing accuracy and look really good, and that's all I care about.

>Guess I don't understand why someone would wear a "fake" of a
>contemporary piece of jewelry. But I suppose there is a watch for every
>wrist.

All a matter of opinion, I guess. I view a Rolex as an investment, but not one I care to make.
That's just me. I have a Pentax 6x7 camera with lenses that cost as much as $1500 each, and most
people couldn't care less. They are happy with their pocket snappy's. I'm happy, they are happy
and you're happy. Isn't the world a wonderful place?
Dave

Ron Bean

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

kin...@frognet.net (Mark Kinsler) writes:

>The main rationale for a waterproof watch in pre-electronic days was that
>it was dustproof and thus didn't need frequent cleanings.

>It really shouldn't be such a chore to make an electronic watch

>indifferent to water: the IC doesn't care, nor does the LCD display.

Well, some of us prefer analog displays, which do have some
moving parts. But just making them dustproof doesn't seem like a
big deal anymore, even with a metal case (it probably helps that
you're not winding it every day). With the old mechanical
timexes, just getting them damp could be a problem.

>There was some official delineation between
>"waterproof" and "water-resistant," too.

Unless it's really bombproof, you can just keep taking it deeper
until it leaks. So how deep is "waterproof?" I think now they
have to state how deep if they want to claim "waterproof",
otherwise it's just "water resistant".

The other problem is that spraying it with enough force can make
it leak even at zero feet (like taking it waterskiing, or wearing
it in the shower).

In those old Timex ads, did they strap the watch to the *back* of
the boat's propeller?

>I wish that the
>strap and the little whatsises that hold it to the case wouldn't bust on

>my eleven-buck Casio F28W. Everything else lasts forever...

The pins are cheap, if you can find a jeweler who stocks them
(I used to pay $0.25 ea, but I haven't needed one for a long time).
Straps should be cheap enough, although some watches are sculpted
in a way that doesn't accept a normal strap.

Rick

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

"Igor" <ig...@algebra.com> wrote in message
> A few days ago I bought an Armitron watch, for $50 at walmart. It claims
> to be "waterproof" up to 165 feet underwater. (Not that I would ever
> dive anywhere below 10-15 feet underwater). My plans on using this watch
> include using them when swimming, boating, and taking a shower or a hot
> tub. Is this safe for this watch?
>
> Also, when working on my boat, this watch may be exposed to oil or
> other solvents. Is that safe for it?
>
> Another question, it is made of titanium or at least coated with titanium.
> Can I expect it to hold up well? I tried to scratch it with average
> hardness steel (scissors) and basically could not scratch it. I assume
> that this titanium is a good thing. I know that it's harder than steel
> and does not rust. Any comments on "titanium" watches?
>
> Thanks

I have one of those very expensive Timex ironman watches, about $30.00 and
have never taken it off while swimming/diving etc both in salt and fresh
water. No problem and the watch is about 5 years or more old

Rick

Brian Wagner

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Terry Miller wrote:

> I'll be needing one of the corners from your Tote-N-Chip card,
> please...

I think that one warrants the whole card.

MrDancer

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

"Ron Bean" <rb...@earth.execpc.com> wrote in message

> kin...@frognet.net (Mark Kinsler) writes:
>
> >The main rationale for a waterproof watch in pre-electronic days was that
> >it was dustproof and thus didn't need frequent cleanings.
>
> >It really shouldn't be such a chore to make an electronic watch
> >indifferent to water: the IC doesn't care, nor does the LCD display.
>
> Well, some of us prefer analog displays, which do have some
> moving parts. But just making them dustproof doesn't seem like a
> big deal anymore, even with a metal case (it probably helps that
> you're not winding it every day). With the old mechanical
> timexes, just getting them damp could be a problem.
>
> >There was some official delineation between
> >"waterproof" and "water-resistant," too.
>
> Unless it's really bombproof, you can just keep taking it deeper
> until it leaks. So how deep is "waterproof?" I think now they
> have to state how deep if they want to claim "waterproof",
> otherwise it's just "water resistant".

I think, for waterproof watches, it's mainly how much pressure they can take
at depth.

> The other problem is that spraying it with enough force can make
> it leak even at zero feet (like taking it waterskiing, or wearing
> it in the shower).
>
> In those old Timex ads, did they strap the watch to the *back* of
> the boat's propeller?
>
> >I wish that the
> >strap and the little whatsises that hold it to the case wouldn't bust on
> >my eleven-buck Casio F28W. Everything else lasts forever...
>
> The pins are cheap, if you can find a jeweler who stocks them
> (I used to pay $0.25 ea, but I haven't needed one for a long time).
> Straps should be cheap enough, although some watches are sculpted
> in a way that doesn't accept a normal strap.

I like my cheap Casio, but also had problems with the pins coming out, and
eventually with the 'plastic' band breaking. I put on an aftermarket velcro
strap, adnd got some additional heavy-duty pins (the ones that came with the
velcro band were weak and would bend easily). The velcro strap is more
comfortable, and with the heavy pins, I've not had any problems. Only
problem is that the velcro strap retains water, so if you put it on wet and
rest your arm on your lap, you'll have a wet spot near your crotch.....

Brian Wagner

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Eastburn wrote:

> Once you replace the battery - even an authorized dealer - the seal
> isn't there.
> I have a Bulova that was rated to 50 M - wore it in the shower and all.
> Company watch - high quality level. Then I replaced (had it done)
> battery
> - which was tough to find a dealer that would change it - a shower would
> force water into it. Now it is always off when in the shower...

Just because they're an authorized dealer doesn't mean they know squat
about maintaining the seals. Next time, take it to a dive shop.

George Jefferson

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

:
:I think, for waterproof watches, it's mainly how much pressure they can take
:at depth.

FWIW, both of my watches are labeled as "water resistant" with
a claim of depth. (50m and 100m). The legal distinction
probably has to do with the guarantee implied, rather than
the actual quality of the watch.

Alex Mckenzie

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

Terry Miller <rocd...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Kevin Steele" <xl...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > Watches can be more protective than you think. Quite a few years
> ago when I
> > was in the Scouts I was trying to chop off a tree branch with a 6"
> bowie
> > knife (which was very sharp). I missed the branch and hit my wrist,
> right
> > where my watch was.
>
> I'll be needing one of the corners from your Tote-N-Chip card,
> please...
>
> Terry Miller
> Assistant Scout Master - Troop 543

What is the "Tote-N-Chip card"? I was in Scouts for a while, and never heard
anything about this.

Alex Mckenzie

Dick Lucas

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
I seem to recall one live test where Swazye put one on the propellor of an
outboard motor mounted in a 55 gallon drum. After rev'ing the engine up for
a few seconds, they tilted the motor up and the watch was gone! Swazye said
something like, "If that watch was still there, it would be ticking away."

Dick Lucas

Larry W4CSC wrote in message <39e7cf4a.1003179@news>...

>Only TIMEX watches are truly waterproof. I used to watch John Cameron

>Swazye prove it in the 1950's. He strapped a TIMEX windup watch to a
>Mercury outboard prop. They ran it WOT up the lake and back and
>WITHOUT changing the camera scene so there were no tricks would haul
>that outboard out of the water and there was that little $5 TIMEX with
>the second hand just tickin' away just like it should. It was
>probably one of the most successful ad campaigns ever on TV.
>
>I must watched 'em do that 500 times a week and every ONE of them
>Timex's worked perfectly!
>
>larry...

Mark Kinsler

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
>I seem to recall one live test where Swazye put one on the propellor of an
>outboard motor mounted in a 55 gallon drum. After rev'ing the engine up for
>a few seconds, they tilted the motor up and the watch was gone! Swazye said
>something like, "If that watch was still there, it would be ticking away."

This was probably the most famous bit of TV up to that time. I read
somewhere that more people claim to have seen it (I'm one) than possibly
could have seen it.

J C Swayze (his son, Cameron Swayze, is a New York newsman) sort of got
typecast with the Timex ads. Another propellor stunt involved attaching a
Timex self-winding watch to the prop of an ocean liner and having it go on
an around-the-world cruise or something. It was still running when the
ship got back.

The Timex is an interesting bit of technology because it used what I
suspect were metallurgical and manufacturing techniques developed for time
fuses during World War II. I know that the balance staff was made out of
some WWII wonder-metal, but I don't know much more about it.

David Smalley

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Dick Lucas wrote:

> I seem to recall one live test where Swazye put one on the propellor of an
> outboard motor mounted in a 55 gallon drum. After rev'ing the engine up for
> a few seconds, they tilted the motor up and the watch was gone! Swazye said
> something like, "If that watch was still there, it would be ticking away."

Didn't they scoop it out and the band was broken but it was ticking?

Either that or I dreamed it.

--
DAVe & Skoshi, '69 Stamas 26'
http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/mia/d/r/drsi/

Charles Harden

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00

A Tote N Chip card is a card that gives a scout authorization to use
knives, saws, axes, etc., after the scout has been trained and tested in
their use. A scout can lose corners of the chip for misdeeds with sharp
things. My troop instituted the use of tote N Chips after a rash of
unsafe knife and axe usage (we were chopping hammock ropes while people
were in the hammock.....). Not all troops use them, but I think it's a
great idea.

Victor Musil

Oct 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/16/00
Hmm-
Reminds me of a news article I seem to remember reading a few years ago
about a "lady of the evening specializing in fellatio" who decided to
vacation in the Rocky mountains and supplement her treasury by servicing a
few of the male vacationers. Seems that she contracted lyme disease from
the Rocky Mountain spotted tick. If I remember correctly the headline read
"She took a ticking but she kept on licking!"
Victor

Keith

Oct 17, 2000, 1:29:40 AM10/17/00
I thought it was a Totin' Chip. To allow you to "tote" an ax, etc. At
least, that's the way we spelled 'em in Texas. Of course, yours allows
one to both tote AND chip!

--
__________________
Keith

stef

Oct 16, 2000, 9:58:24 PM10/16/00
y ave timex explorer (50.00$)
go diving 150 feet
3 year old still good whit no leak
they says dont touch the bouton
under water .....
but ave no problem whi that in 3 year
never flood
and yes y touch the bouton under the water
and never leak
better than dive whatch cost 300.00$

Ron Bean

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00

Charles Harden <mcha...@zebra.net> writes:

>A Tote N Chip card is a card that gives a scout authorization to use
>knives, saws, axes, etc., after the scout has been trained and tested in
>their use.

>Not all troops use them, but I think it's a great idea.

It also met one of the requirements for the Camping merit badge,
which is required for advancement beyond a certain rank.

In my troop you only needed one to use an axe-- anyone could use
a saw (which was our preferred tool anyway, since we didn't
usually have firewood big enough to split), and you can't really
stop someone from using his own knife.

We also referred to it as "Knife and Axe", as in "Have you had
Knife and Axe?" (usually said to someone who wanted to borrow an
axe, when a saw would do the job just as well). The card was
printed to look like a piece of birchbark, so I assume it was
originally supposed to be a "chip" of wood.

Mark Harrison

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00

"Ron Bean" <rb...@earth.execpc.com> wrote in message

> kin...@frognet.net (Mark Kinsler) writes:
> >There was some official delineation between
> >"waterproof" and "water-resistant," too.

Sorry, this is getting a little confusing so I don't know who said what...

However, my stainless steel (that was the obligatory metal* bit :-), Omega
Seamaster automatic (i.e. a "real" watch) claims to be waterproof to 300m or
1000ft. I can't say that I have tested that claim nor am I likely to.
However, I do wear it when I go surfing or fishing and I have not had a
problem with it. It's pretty bombproof from the outside. However, it has
been back to be repaired once. The automatic winder (sorry, don't know the
technical name) broke off internally. God only knows how.

BTW, please don't think I'm some sort of bragger. The watch was a gift. It
isn't something I would have spent the money on myself.

Gary S. Colecchio

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00

>> I have an old Rolex, a really old Rolex, a stainless and black Mariner,
>> that works perfectly. The fake Rolexes of this model that I've seen only
>> bear a superficial resemblance.
>>
>> Guess I don't understand why someone would wear a "fake" of a
>> contemporary piece of jewelry. But I suppose there is a watch for every
>> wrist.
>>
>> --
>> Harry Krause
>> ------------

Finally, words of wisdom. Can't beat Submariners.

I've got a 12 yo Explorer II that I've worn every day since I bought
it. And it's worth more now than I paid for it.

Cost me $1100. Let's see, $1100/12 = $92 /year.
How many times are those $100 watches replaced?

Capt. Gary S. Colecchio
West Palm Beach

Behold the Fisherman!
He Riseth Up Early in the Morning,
and Disturbeth the Whole Household.
Mighty are His Preparations.
He Goeth Forth Full of Hope.
And When the Day is spent, He Returneth,
Smelling of Strong Drink.
And the Truth is not with Him!

Keith

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
OK, I'll toss my "other" watch into the hat. I've had a Casio G-Shock
dive watch, about $80 at Service Merchandise for about 6 years. It's the
one with the goldish face, rotating bezel, analog with a secondary
digital display. I've taken in down to 100+ feet a lot of times, wore it
in the pool, shower, etc. Banged the heck out of it a few times and it
still works great. I'd still be wearing it all the time, except for when
I found the Navy Seals watch. Had to give up the digital for pure
analog, but the taser lights that let you read it all night long are
worth it. Still wear the casio if I need the digital features.

--
__________________
Keith

MrDancer

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00

"Gary S. Colecchio" <g...@gate.net> wrote in message

> >> I have an old Rolex, a really old Rolex, a stainless and black Mariner,
> >> that works perfectly. The fake Rolexes of this model that I've seen
only
> >> bear a superficial resemblance.
> >>
> >> Guess I don't understand why someone would wear a "fake" of a
> >> contemporary piece of jewelry. But I suppose there is a watch for every
> >> wrist.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Harry Krause
> >> ------------
>
> Finally, words of wisdom. Can't beat Submariners.
>
> I've got a 12 yo Explorer II that I've worn every day since I bought
> it. And it's worth more now than I paid for it.
>
> Cost me $1100. Let's see, $1100/12 = $92 /year.
> How many times are those $100 watches replaced?

I replace my $15 Casio about every five to seven years, sometimes longer
depending on battery price and if the watch is scratched up. If the battery
is expensive, I just buy a new watch. Kinda like those cordless phones
where you can buy a replacement battery for $20 or replace the phone for
$20.....

I have a Timex Expedition that my g/f gave me. It's a nice watch, but it
(the face) scratches up way too easily - never had that problem with the
cheap Casio. I guess I'm pretty rough on watches, I hate to think of
spending $1100 on a watch and scratching it up right away. I also work
outside a lot in some rough conditions - if the watch gets caught on
something, I'd rather have it rip off and lose it instead of injuring
myself, and it's just easier to lose a $15 watch. ;-)

Larry W4CSC

Oct 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/17/00
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:07:31 -0700, "Dick Lucas"
<dick_...@agilent.com> wrote:

>I seem to recall one live test where Swazye put one on the propellor of an
>outboard motor mounted in a 55 gallon drum. After rev'ing the engine up for
>a few seconds, they tilted the motor up and the watch was gone! Swazye said
>something like, "If that watch was still there, it would be ticking away."
>

>Dick Lucas

Ahhhh...the pleasures and trials of LIVE TV....(c;

That would have been really funny.

Terry Miller

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
"Keith" <klem...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> I thought it was a Totin' Chip. To allow you to "tote" an ax, etc.
At
> least, that's the way we spelled 'em in Texas. Of course, yours
allows
> one to both tote AND chip!

Actually, I think you are correct, Sir. I typed in haste.

The card newest to me, that I had never heard of (and I think has a
risky name) is the Fireman Chit card. Whatever possessed BSA to have
anything like "chit" escapes me.

Terry Miller

Stephen

Oct 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/19/00
>>I have an old Rolex, a really old Rolex, a stainless and black Mariner,
>>that works perfectly. The fake Rolexes of this model that I've seen only
>>bear a superficial resemblance.
>
>As I said... "to the untrained eye..." Having never owned a Rolex, a long
>glance at your wrist still
>wouldn't tell me the difference.

Just FYI, if you want to identify fake vs real Rolex, just look at the movement
of the second hand. A fake will advance the second hand once per second. A real
rolex 'sweeps' [1].

[1] Well nearly. The Rolex second hand moves in a number (5 or more?) of small
increments each second.
Stephen
http://stephen.fathom.org
Satellite Hunting 2.0.2 (Y2K compliant!) visible satellite pass prediction
shareware available for download at
http://stephen.fathom.org/sathunt.html