Mercruiser 170 Problems

Jim Rojas

Apr 5, 2008, 11:27:13 AM4/5/08
I have this old fresh water cooled 170HP Mercruiser inboard, that runs
great.

I replaced the impeller, and still no water circulates into the heat
exchanger. I looked for clogs, with no luck. I removed the old stator
charging circuit, which I had replaced with a standard alternator this
past summer.

So my question is can I install a radiator with an electric fan to
eliminate the salt water altogether? If so, any tips?

Thank you

Jim Rojas

Wayne.B

Apr 5, 2008, 12:38:59 PM4/5/08
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 15:27:13 GMT, Jim Rojas <jro...@tech-man.com>
wrote:

>So my question is can I install a radiator with an electric fan to
>eliminate the salt water altogether? If so, any tips?

Not if you want to be in compliance with USCG and ABYC standards.
It's really not a good idea - check with your insurance company.

It really shouldn't be that difficuly to get your FWC working. My
guess is that the problem is in the leg. There is a procedure that
must be followed when replacing the impeller to make sure that the
water passage stays open.

Jim Rojas

Apr 5, 2008, 12:52:16 PM4/5/08
Ok. What if I just used a continuous duty electric water pump instead?

I have seen some that are self priming, and wont burn out if ran dry. I
guess this would be a cheaper alternative. I may also install a seperate
water pickup under the engine area to reduce lift issues. I am also
thinking that installing a weep hole to insure the damn thing is pumping
as it should.

Jim Rojas

Jim

Apr 5, 2008, 1:00:03 PM4/5/08

"Jim Rojas" <jro...@tech-man.com> wrote in message
To your question the answer is no.
Does water pump to the heat exchanger? You need to undo a hose to know.

Jim Rojas

Apr 5, 2008, 1:07:40 PM4/5/08

Yes, I have done that. I took it apart and ran water through the heat
exchanger. The engine stays cool. I also ran water downwards to the
intake, and it flows. If I use the muffs and try to pump water up, there
is no continuous flow at all.

Jim Rojas

Tim

Apr 5, 2008, 1:20:03 PM4/5/08
> Jim Rojas- Hide quoted text -

Tim

Apr 5, 2008, 1:23:49 PM4/5/08

I don't know what happened. Sorry.

But with a hose, you're actually injecting water into the block. have
you tested the engines water pump? I was going to say with salt it
could have eroded the inside impeller. Also possible to have a bad
thermostat.

hk

Apr 5, 2008, 1:26:19 PM4/5/08

It wouldn't be practical. There are, though, completely closed cooling
systems that do not require the usual sort of heat exchanger.
_

http://tiny.cc/0jZfP

The exchanger is mounted outside the boat, on or along or adjacent to
the keel. No outside water enters the system anywhere.

But then you have to accommodate the exhaust. There are "dry" ways to do
that, too.

Wayne.B

Apr 5, 2008, 2:56:47 PM4/5/08
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 17:07:40 GMT, Jim Rojas <jro...@tech-man.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I have done that. I took it apart and ran water through the heat

>exchanger. The engine stays cool. I also ran water downwards to the
>intake, and it flows. If I use the muffs and try to pump water up, there
>is no continuous flow at all.

It sounds like you have an obstruction in your leg. Have a qualified
Mercruiser guy take a look at it, might be a simple fix if it was
assembled incorrectly after the impeller change. There is an insert
that has to be positioned properly as you re-attach the leg.

Ernest Scribbler

Apr 5, 2008, 4:05:58 PM4/5/08
"Jim Rojas" wrote

> I took it apart and ran water through the heat exchanger. The engine stays
> cool. I also ran water downwards to the intake, and it flows. If I use the
> muffs and try to pump water up, there is no continuous flow at all.

There aren't a whole lot of things that can go wrong with that type of pump.
If it isn't pumping water and there's no obstruction in the line, the base
gasket could be installed incorrectly or the key that locks the impeller to
the shaft could be missing. It may also be possible for the cylinder liner
that the impeller rotates in to spin inside the housing, but I've never seen
that happen.

Ernest Scribbler

Apr 5, 2008, 4:14:23 PM4/5/08
Regarding the original question, anything's possible, and I know firsthand
what a PITA it is to have to dissassemble a drive unit that you just put
back together, but when all is said and done it would be easier, cheaper,
and more reliable to fix the pump than to cobble together a closed cooling
system.

Jim

Apr 5, 2008, 6:58:20 PM4/5/08

"Tim" <tsch...@gmail.com> wrote in message
The muffs must fit tightly and there has to be sufficient water pressure.
You may have put the pump together wrong. Pieces from a disintegrated
impeller might be blocking or stopping flow. The copper tube in the upper
unit might have fallen out. The plastic piece that holds that tube might
have melted due to an overheat. The rubber hose that connects the bell
housing to transom plate may have ruptured. the fitting that connects the
intake hose to the aforementioned hose might have rotted out. Finally make
sure the prop spins when you put it in gear. If it doesn't the driveshaft is
probably broken.
Good luck man

Jim Rojas

Apr 7, 2008, 5:09:58 PM4/7/08
I installed the 12v electric water pump, where the old stator module use
to be...now the water flows just fine, and picks up water from the lower
end.

I still plan to install a water pickup directly under the engine through
the hull floor.

Jim Rojas

dri...@bellsouth.net

Mar 1, 2012, 12:52:56 PM3/1/12
Hey Jim,
Just wondering how your 470 is running.
We have some cooling system information for that motor online at
http://www.sterndrives.com/470_coolant_leak.html which might help.

Sterndrives.com also has the information for servicing your sterndrives water pump if you need it.
Thanks!

Tim

Mar 1, 2012, 7:43:50 PM3/1/12
On Mar 1, 11:52 am, dri...@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hey Jim,
>  Just wondering how your 470 is running.
> We have some cooling system information for that motor online at
>  http://www.sterndrives.com/470_coolant_leak.htmlwhich might help.
>
> Sterndrives.com also has the information for servicing your sterndrives water pump if you need it.
> Thanks!

It's great to see an old boating thread revived.

Thank you!

drot...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2018, 3:21:58 PM7/22/18
internal water systems are good as far as water cooling. although i have attempted that with results good and bad. I have found that allowing the original system to be connected to the radiator is by far the best result with my experience. i since have installed a couple ball valves inline to restrict some flow from one to the other, for pressure reasons.

John H.

Jul 22, 2018, 3:57:26 PM7/22/18
That's what one might call a 'delayed response'.

Bill

Jul 23, 2018, 9:21:39 PM7/23/18
Wonder what was wrong with the heat exchanger.