Sports trivia

Mr. Luddite

Oct 11, 2021, 6:59:03 AM10/11/21

While watching both the Pats (they won yesterday, BTW) and
the Red Sox (they won in 13 innings yesterday, BTW, and now
lead the best of 5 series with Tampa Bay 2-1) questions sometimes pop
in my head and I have to go research them.

Here's a couple:

How many NFL players hold 4 year college degrees as compared
the MLB players?

The answer surprised me but it makes sense.

About 46 percent of NFL players hold a BA or graduate degree
whereas less than 5 percent of MLB players have at least a
4 year degree.

The reason is because the NFL does not have a farm team
system like that in baseball and players are drafted
from college. In baseball, players are typically recruited
directly from high school or before they graduate from
college. Few return to school to finish their degree.

Second trivia question:

How many baseballs are typically used during a single
MLB game?

Answer:

Usually between 88 and 100 balls are used per game.
Baseballs used in MLB are bought in bulk for $6 each.
Balls that are not given to fans are collected and
sent to the respective minor league teams for use.

Fascinating, huh?

https://www.avg.com

John

Oct 11, 2021, 2:41:53 PM10/11/21
Yeah, that was interesting.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 11, 2021, 10:04:17 PM10/11/21
On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 06:58:59 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <not...@noland.com>
wrote:

>While watching both the Pats (they won yesterday, BTW) and
>the Red Sox (they won in 13 innings yesterday, BTW, and now
>lead the best of 5 series with Tampa Bay 2-1) questions sometimes pop
>in my head and I have to go research them.
>
>Here's a couple:
>
>How many NFL players hold 4 year college degrees as compared
>the MLB players?
>
>The answer surprised me but it makes sense.
>
>About 46 percent of NFL players hold a BA or graduate degree
>whereas less than 5 percent of MLB players have at least a
>4 year degree.
>
>The reason is because the NFL does not have a farm team
>system like that in baseball and players are drafted
>from college. In baseball, players are typically recruited
>directly from high school or before they graduate from
>college. Few return to school to finish their degree.

There are not many Dominican football players ;-)

Mr. Luddite

Oct 12, 2021, 6:53:43 AM10/12/21
That be true. I am curious though. Many current players
are from Cuba. How do they get through the political
BS in order to play here?

gfre...@aol.com

Oct 12, 2021, 12:33:45 PM10/12/21
On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 06:53:40 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <not...@noland.com>
wrote:

>On 10/11/2021 10:04 PM, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 06:58:59 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" <not...@noland.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> While watching both the Pats (they won yesterday, BTW) and
>>> the Red Sox (they won in 13 innings yesterday, BTW, and now
>>> lead the best of 5 series with Tampa Bay 2-1) questions sometimes pop
>>> in my head and I have to go research them.
>>>
>>> Here's a couple:
>>>
>>> How many NFL players hold 4 year college degrees as compared
>>> the MLB players?
>>>
>>> The answer surprised me but it makes sense.
>>>
>>> About 46 percent of NFL players hold a BA or graduate degree
>>> whereas less than 5 percent of MLB players have at least a
>>> 4 year degree.
>>>
>>> The reason is because the NFL does not have a farm team
>>> system like that in baseball and players are drafted
>>>from college. In baseball, players are typically recruited
>>> directly from high school or before they graduate from
>>> college. Few return to school to finish their degree.
>>

>> There are not many Dominican football players ;-)
>>

>That be true. I am curious though. Many current players
>are from Cuba. How do they get through the political
>BS in order to play here?

You can't buy Cuban cigars but if they have a good fast ball you can
buy a Cuban player.