Yamaha Outboards

Mark ST.Germain

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Hi...........I'm thinking of buying a used 90 HP Yamaha for my 18'
Cobia. Is this newsgroup a good place to fing out about the reliability
and durability of these Yamaha motors ?

Anyone out there care to share some information about them??

Thanks.........Mark

BlueBookEd

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98
Mark

Yamaha is one of the top rated outboard makes. Early versions had more than
their share of salt water corrosion problems but they have identified that as a
problem and have made strides to reduce the effects of salt on their motors.
The 90hp 1990 is 69.6 cu inch. Johnson/Evinrude is 99.6 cu inches for the same
horsepower. Guess which one will give you better bottom end torque and more
usuable horsepower?
Finding good loose motors in the 90 hp range is difficult at best. Do you have
a line on one?
Expect to pay somewhere just over $3000.00 for a good clean model with prop not
including controls.

Tom Fournier
Outboard Motor Blue Book

frank colantonio

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

BlueBookEd wrote in message
<19980102153...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

>>Hi...........I'm thinking of buying a used 90 HP Yamaha for my 18'
>>Cobia. Is this newsgroup a good place to fing out about the reliability
>>and durability of these Yamaha motors ?
>>
>>Anyone out there care to share some information about them??
>>
>>Thanks.........Mark
>>
>Mark
>
>Yamaha is one of the top rated outboard makes.

Hello Mark..
I ran my 1994 Yamaha 25 HP with electric start
around Boston harbor for 3 1/2 years with not one thing going wrong !!!!
got a great trade in price to (bigger boat)

ROBERT G SORENSEN

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

frank colantonio wrote in message <68jppe$f...@chile.earthlink.net>...

>BlueBookEd wrote in message
><19980102153...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
>>>Hi...........I'm thinking of buying a used 90 HP Yamaha for my 18'
>>>Cobia. Is this newsgroup a good place to fing out about the reliability
>>>and durability of these Yamaha motors ?
>>>
>>>Anyone out there care to share some information about them??
>>>
>>>Thanks.........Mark
>>>

>>>Mark, I also agree about the quality of Yamaha Outboards. As a service
manager at a FL dealership we rarely have a problem with them. They seem to
be prone to gummed up carbs more than some other brands but you can prevent
that with good storage practices. The only problem I have with them is that
because of their reliability very few dealers carry a good stock of parts
and experienced tech's are hard to find. Good luck

Bob Sorensen

Lance Asbury

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

Would Like to talk to anyone owning '86 and up 90hp Yamaha outboards
about any problems you are having with them.

Lance Asbury

Paul Daniel Shepard

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

When in Cancun Mex. this past week I saw many Yamaha's, some Johnson's running
the rental boats .I suppose these are around the 40 HP range. I saw no Nissan
or Honda's. I looked around because I was curious after hearing other poster's
comments wahat was popular in their region.

BTW, our New Year's was spent in the unseasonably cool Caribe. Air 70 degrees,
water as around 77. Brrr!

Harry Krause

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

Paul Daniel Shepard wrote:

Mexico is not a free market. The fact that you saw no Nissans or Hondas probably
relates more the the fact that the other manufacturers were paying the government
more moolah one way or another.

--

To respond via EMAIL to a newsgroup post, remove -nospam from my address.
- - - - - -

Dave Molta

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

In article <34ABE2...@erols.com>, stge...@erols.com wrote:
>Hi...........I'm thinking of buying a used 90 HP Yamaha for my 18'
>Cobia. Is this newsgroup a good place to fing out about the reliability
>and durability of these Yamaha motors ?
>
>Anyone out there care to share some information about them??
>
>Thanks.........Mark

Mark,

I've had great luck with Yamaha and recommend them highly. I have a '94 C85,
which is the same basic motor as the 90. The displacement on this motor is
much less than a comparable Merc or OMC, so you give up some torque on the low
end. On the other hand, it is about 50 lbs lighter and it runs great.

The big concerns people tend to express about Yamaha are higher-than-average
initial cost, higher cost for replacement parts, and limited dealer/service
facilities. If you believe the NADA book, they also tend to depreciate
somewhat more than OMC and Merc. A couple of years ago, I sold a 16-foot
Starcraft boat with a Yamaha 50 on it. Several people loved the boat but
didn't make me an offer because of the "off-brand" Yamaha motor. The guy who
bought it did so primarily because of the Yamaha motor. Go figure.

-Dave

Fritzbs2

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

I own a 1986 yamaha 115 outboard ,i,ve ran it hard and long for 7 years and
still do not have any problems. what kind of problems are you having let me
know and maby Icon help you out. fritz bs

Lance Asbury

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

Hey Fritz

Thanks for responding. The only problem I am having with my '86 90hp is that
in rough water it intermininly acts as if it is flooding out or running out
of gas. I can shut it down for a few minutes and it will be fine for a
whill. I have no problems with it in calm water. I would appreciate any
insight you or anyone eles can give me.

Thanks a bunch

Lance

Rob Scott

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

Maybe the problem is in your gas tank and not the motor. You could have
junk in it and the rough water causes it to foul the pickup or fuel filter.
When in calm water it all settles out to the bottom?

Rob

Lance Asbury <las...@smyth.net> wrote in article
<68tt63$f...@snews1.zippo.com>...

Fritzbs2

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

hey mark all I can say is go forit yam is the best thing that ever happen to
the outboard, email me if you want more info fritz bs2

Kapt

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

I had a 94 Yamaha 85Hp on a Center Console 17 footer. It was an
EXTREMLEY durable engine. Never gave me a mintues trouble with the
exception of it was the roughest idling engine I have ever owned. The
dealer could not stop it. From talking and seeing other engines I think
it may have been an isoloated incident with my engine rather than a
general condition. I also was a bit noisey..

Ron
ka...@virginia.edu

Rami Varis

Jan 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/20/98

My hobby is offshore powerboat racing in class OFF3/1,3l. This season
Yamaha 90 Hp won the world title, european championships, swedish national
champ. and two finnish national championships in our class. My team won the
other finnish championship. IMHO Yamaha 90 Hp is extremely durable engine.
We raced the whole season 97' without any trouble. We actually didn't have
to do any maintenance at all. We even used the same sparkplugs throughout
the whole season (lots of testing, practice and 5 long races). Our hull is
ArgoCat 17.

If you are interested in offshore powerboat racing, or if you are just
interested to see some great pictures of our boat and other boats in our
class, please do check out our website:

http://offshore.weppi.fi

The site is focused in finnish offshore powerboat racing.

/Rami Varis
Navigator in team "FrogPower"