Raccoon Urine! Junk or clean?

George Blanchette

Apr 23, 2002, 3:53:55 AM4/23/02
I took my cover off and found I had a raccoon condo. The smell is
unbelievable!
Can any thing be done to get the smell out? The Dealer wants $8000.00 to
replace EVERYTHING that is not fiberglass.

Peggie Hall

Apr 23, 2002, 8:09:22 AM4/23/02
You CAN get rid of the ALL the odor. Pet stores sell microbial
(bacteria) products to get rid of pet accident odors in carpets...the
bacteria in 'em literally "eats" the odor causing bacteria. Raritan K.O.
holding tank treatment is essentially the same thing, but considerably
more potent and cheaper.

Clean everything with detergent and water...don't use bleach, lysol or
ANY "disinfectant"...it won't help much, but it will prevent the
bacteria from working. Then spray everything liberally with K.O. (or the
pet store version)...you don't want to get the carpet and cushions
soaking wet--although it won't hurt, it'll just take longer to dry--but
you do want to use enough to make sure that it gets all the way through
fibers and foam. Don't rinse...just let it dry...and the more fresh air
and sunshine that gets to everything, the better. That should do it. If
you still have "pockets" of odor, make sure you didn't miss anything
when you cleaned and spray 'em again.

You just found out the hard way why you should check on your boat every
couple of weeks during the winter.

Peggie

Bob Kuba

Apr 23, 2002, 8:10:04 AM4/23/02
Have used this in the past when mine was taken over by a momma cat and about
12 kittens (hard to count heads, they move so fast)! Mix a weak solution of
Muratic Acid and water (be careful mixing) then wipe down everything. Make
sure you wear rubber gloves and immediately rinse all areas with clean water
(it is an Acid). Once dry, spray everything with an Odor release agent such
as Fabreeze or Odor Ban and let set open for a couple of days. For the
carpet, I just used a heavy solution of Citrus Magic and let stand for about
an hour then rinsed. Smelled like a giant orange, but much better than Cat
urine!!
Hope this helps,
Bob

Peggie Hall

Apr 23, 2002, 8:24:23 AM4/23/02
I don't know what muriatic acid would do to cushions and carpets, but
I'd be reluctant to use anything requiring rubber gloves on fabrics and
vinyl.

JimDandy

Apr 23, 2002, 12:09:04 PM4/23/02
"George Blanchette" <GBLAN...@wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<1q8x8.29338$HK4.8...@twister.kc.rr.com>...

Last year, I had a wild cat living in mine, same problem. Here is what
I did. I washed everything I possibly could, with whatever I could.
Cleaned the carpet the best I could. After that, the smell was still
there, but not as bad. So, I got the jumbo economy size of that
Fabreeze stuff, that is supposed to eliminate odors on clothes, and I
hosed about EVERY surface with that stuff. I put the cover on for a
couple of days. Took the cover off, and it smelled good!

Bob Kuba

Apr 23, 2002, 12:42:27 PM4/23/02
Dilute form doesn't hurt vinyl or carpet at all, and will eliminate any mold or
mildew also. Wear the gloves because it does dry out your skin though! Just do
not use it at full concentrate!! That's how it is used to clean concrete!
Bob

Del Cecchi

Apr 23, 2002, 2:27:00 PM4/23/02
In article <1q8x8.29338$HK4.8...@twister.kc.rr.com>,
Got insurance?
--

Del Cecchi
cec...@us.ibm.com

Calif Bill

Apr 24, 2002, 12:41:39 AM4/24/02
Check with your insurance agent. Otherwise go to Petco etc and they have
anti-urine compounds. They will loan you a black light and the stains will
show up (at least on cat piss they do) and then put the urine stuff on the
stains.
Bill

dan

Apr 24, 2002, 8:46:36 AM4/24/02
Hi George,

When I had to shoot a sick skunk in my yard I tried everything.
Nothing worked. My wife happened to see a bottle of Abolish at the
supermarket. It was cheap and it worked!!! It has worked for every
smell I have run into since. Before you start messing around with
chemicals, that have health warnings on them for a very good reason, I
would try Abolish. If I remember right it is pretty safe to use.
People with dogs that got skunk sprayed use it with no bad effects to
them or the pooch. Info follows...

Abolish
Endosome Biologicals
3729 Union Road
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
Sorry I don't have the phone #

Dan

I've rambled enough, back to the rocking chair. ZZZZZZZZZ
Remove left x for a direct reply.

John

Apr 25, 2002, 8:56:22 PM4/25/02
Go to a pet store and get a gallon of "Nature's Miracle". Use it in a
carpet shampooer.

John

www.retail4wholesale.com
marine electronics at wholesale prices!!