Sun Tracker pontoon boats -- any feedback?

Matt

Jul 16, 2002, 11:55:45 AM7/16/02
Hello all --

My youngest son is now officially out of day care and
kindergarten-bound. With the money we're saving by not paying for day
care, we're looking to buy a pontoon boat, specifically, the 21-foot
Sun Tracker party barge
(http://www.suntrackerboats.com/modelpage.cfm?boat_id=108)

Does anyone have any feedback with regard to this particular model, or
Sun Tracker in general?

TIA,
Matt

Naz"T"

Jul 16, 2002, 5:55:40 PM7/16/02
Suntracker is a "good" pontoon. Nothing exceptional quality or innovation
wise but for the buck, about the best bang in the market. I've owned two
and still have a 89 24' tri 'toon.

Seriously, not trying to stop you from buying something new, but check out
the used market in pontoon's in your area before buying a new unit.
Typically, you can make a great deal on used 'toons.

I would recommend you purchase the largest engine possible. I would
recommend the 75hp 2 stroke listed as the best deal/buck/performance. Also
BUY or DEAL for the factory fitted cover to fit the boat. The only thing
that is expensive to replace on pontoons is the furniture. PROTECT IT with
a cover whenever it is not in use. The deck/carpeting is easy to replace
and cheap to buy.....the furniture is not.

Good luck and have fun:-)

Naz"T'

"Matt" <matt....@alumni.utexas.net> wrote in message

Tony Thomas

Jul 16, 2002, 7:46:28 PM7/16/02
Personally I have found that the tracker pontoons tend to be overpriced by
the time you get the final out the door price w/ dealer prep, the motor you
want, ropes, bumpers, depth finder, etc...
As stated you want the 75 on a 20' boat and the 90 as a minimum on a 24'
boat. That will give you plenty of power for tubing and kneeboarding and
carrying people also. Anything less and you will find yourself running the
engine to death.

Also make sure you get a good cover for the entire boat.

Check around at all the local dealers and see what they have to offer and
what their bottom line price is w/ everything you want comparing equal boats
to equal boats.
Then check out their service department. Call the local better business
bureu and ask what complaints have been filed against the dealers.
Remember, price is not everything. Location to your house and service are
very important factors.

--
Tony
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomastl1

Gfretwell

Jul 16, 2002, 11:27:24 PM7/16/02
Shameless plug... but I have a 13.75x15 Stainless prop (Michigan wheel) hubbed
for a mid range 70-90 Merc or 40-60 "big foot" with about 3 hours on it. Make
me an offer. It would be about right for a 75 or 90 on a pontoon.
It's not right for a 60 :-(

HLAviation

Jul 17, 2002, 7:00:17 PM7/17/02

Why not get it repitched for what you need?
http://hometown.aol.com/hlaviation/

David

Jul 17, 2002, 10:13:43 PM7/17/02
I don't know about all models, but a friend of mine has a Bass Buggy that is
less than 3 years old (still under warranty). The weekend after the 4th of
July, it almost sank. It was at the dock when we noticed it was sinking on
one side. It turns out that the aluminum has corroded and leaks. We no
longer have a local Tracker dealer. He called the manufacturer and emailed
pics of the damage. Their response was that it hadn't been maintained
properly. This is untrue, as he rinses the pontoons, as well as everything
else, after each use. They told him that he should have painted the
aluminum pontoons with anti-fouling paint. The trailer rails (carpet
covered wood) are rotten and falling apart. There is also factory-installed
wiring underneath exposed to water that is connected by twisting and
electrical tape. My boat, although not a pontoon boat, is almost 30 years
old, and I'm really disappointed at the quality, as well as service from
Tracker Marine. I wouldn't buy one.

bill jones

Jul 17, 2002, 10:39:14 PM7/17/02
I too have a bass buggy about 6 years old. The quality is questionable. I
had problems with the welds for the top frame, the simulated wood on the
dash looks worn out, and the battery compartment is very ackward to use.
Overall quality is fair. I try to take good care of mine but it's a chore.
Their trailers are a piece of crap. The runners rotted out the 1st 2 years.
If I had it to do over would probably go with another make.
David <da...@wilmington.net> wrote in message

Gfretwell

Jul 18, 2002, 12:04:18 AM7/18/02
>Why not get it repitched for what you need?

I got a deal on a 14x11 that works out well
I probably could have got by with the 13.75 pitched down to 13 but I wasn't
sure how well that would work and I would have a bartardized prop.
I'll just hang on to this one, somebody can use it one day.

Gfretwell

Jul 18, 2002, 12:14:15 AM7/18/02
I am very happy with the aluminum parts in my 1975 Harris Flote Bote. It's been
in salt water since day one. Harris used steel stringers and they were gone in
1989 when I stripped and rebuilt it but the pontoons and support bracket welds
are still tight. I have kept it painted tho. I think you are a fool to trust
anodizing in this application. The pontoons I see failing around here have
pitting right at the water line. It is probably more like oxidation at the
water air junction than electrolysis. I also have all the wiring and cables in
PVC pipe with no splices in the wiring. All the lights are "home runs" back to
the console using 12ga stranded THWN wire. The steering cable is in non-metalic
liquid-tite. This rigging basically runs IN the water on a pontoon so it
should be treated that way.

Rich Stern

Jul 18, 2002, 9:40:11 AM7/18/02

Matt, I looked closely at Sun Trackers. I ended up purchasing a Crest. I feel
I got better quality for less money. By the time I added on all of the options
for the Tracker (freight/rigging, trailer, mooring cover, engine upgrade), it
was more money than the Crest, which is better constructed.

Things I did like about Sun Tracker: Upholstry

Things I didn't like about the Sun Tracker: Roto-molded furniture bases were a
bit flimsy. Weak, pop-rivet hinges, flush mounted deck railing (should be
raised), carpet quality inferior to other brands, self tapping deck screws
(stainless bolts better).

I've owned two Tracker products (Nitro bass boats), and have been happy with
both of them. Tracker quality can be inconsistent, as is the value in their
various model line-ups. I would suggest you include a few other brands in your
evaluation: Princecraft, Smokercraft, Crest, Sweetwater, to name a few. You
may end up back at the Tracker dealer, and if so, then you can feel comfortable
that you did an appropriate comparison.

Also, I found these brands to have very similar construction to the Sun
Trackers: G3, Voyager, Tahoe.

-- Rich Stern
www.nitroowners.com - The Nitro and Tracker Owners Web Site
www.mypontoon.com - The Pontoon Boat Web Site
www.fishingreportdatabase.com - The Fishing Report Database

bill jones

Jul 20, 2002, 5:36:36 PM7/20/02
When I bought mine, they were the only one's I found using an all aluminum
deck, no plywood and that's what sold me but now most everyone is using
aluminum. I only use mine in fresh water and keep it covered. I still had
the problems I mentioned previously.
Rich Stern <rbs...@aol.com> wrote in message

Gfretwell

Jul 20, 2002, 9:03:50 PM7/20/02
When I put my boat back together in 1989 I used MDO plywood with the finish
side up and it is still doing well after all these years of being dunked in
salt water. It was worth the money.

bill jones

Jul 21, 2002, 9:10:06 AM7/21/02
In hindsight, I wouldn't have let that influence me now due to some of the
other problems I've had.
Gfretwell <gfre...@aol.com> wrote in message