Nissan outboards any good?

ScottyRuth

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00

I'm thinking about getting a 30 or 40 horse Nissan for my 16-ft inflatable
(it's rated for up to 70) but don't know about anyone's experiences with Nissan
outboards. The price for a 30 horse is about $2200. Since that's a price I
can affort (sort of) and it's at a weight that's manageable (have to lift motor
each time I use it since I don't trailer my boat with the motor on), it looks
like a likely candidate.

Scott
Alaska

Dana Seero

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00

ScottyRuth wrote:

www.tohatsu.com They manufacture the Nissans - it's a different badge, only.
Nissans are often sold by chains, Tohatsus are usually sold by local dealers,
though not always. They are simple, reliable, easy to fix, and relatively light. I
had a 30 hp on a 12' RIB partly because of low weight. They are extremely durable
and I never had any problems at all with any of the three I owned, all still in use
by the people I sold the boats to. They don't have as many consumer features as
many other brands (they're Japanese fishing motors) but it sounds like a good fit
for what you want.

BTW, they have had an OEM agreement with Mercury for years, and make both engines
and parts for them, making the "Buy American" argument absurd.

Jim

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
Hi Scott,
I have been researching outboards for several
months and everything I found shows the Nissan to
be a quality product at a very good price. Nissan
also includes as standard equipment many things
considered as options with the other
manufacturers. I am going today to purchase a 5
hp Nissan (2 stroke) for our 10 foot Achilles
inflatable for $799 (last day of sale). A
comparable Mercury, Yamaha, Evinrude or Johnson,
even at sale pricing, costs $250-$300 more.
Jim

ScottyRuth <scott...@aol.com> wrote in message
..

Larry Hill

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
>I'm thinking about getting a 30 or 40 horse Nissan for my 16-ft inflatable
>(it's rated for up to 70) but don't know about anyone's experiences with
>Nissan

I had a 14' AB RIB with a new 50 hp Nissan and it was great! I paid $3500 for
the motor out the door. It had power tilt/trim and auto oil system. Great and
Light motor. Go o for it! The boat would do 43mph when trimmed out
properly......Larry

Kingfish

Jan 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/30/00
Had a 15 hp Nissan on an 11' +\- Seaworthy inflatable that I was absolutely
delighted with; moved to a 12.5' Zodiac and kept the 15 with it for a while,
but was a little under-powered. Had a couple of extra bucks burning a hole
in my pocket and succumbed to the Yamaha mythos when I upgraded to a 30 hp.
The Yamaha was fine, so was the Nissan; my brother-in-law wound up with the
old inflatable and the Nissan, and so far as I know, both are still fine.
(8 or ten years, now.)
--
Kingfish (John C. Flook)

To reply directly, remove < (nospam) > from reply-to address

Larry Hill <l4f...@aol.com> wrote in message

Knotabight

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I have a Nissan badged Tohatsu 90hp 2 stroke I've used 4-5 hours a week for the
past 2 years and I think it's great. It starts first time everytime and has
never quit on me. I think most folks would suggest a 4 stroke or a fuel
injected 2 stroke now days as carbed 2 strokes are becoming dinosaurs but if
that's what you want I don't think you can go wrong with a Nissan or Tohatsu.
Really good horsepower to weight ratio.

scott...@aol.com wrote:
>I'm thinking about getting a 30 or 40 horse Nissan for my 16-ft inflatable
>(it's rated for up to 70) but don't know about anyone's experiences with

>Nissan outboards.

NOYB

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Bought a 40hp Nissan in 1986....over the years we have run the snot out of
it on a 13 foot Boston Whaler. My brother and I ran the hell out of it
(jumping wakes, pulling skiers, other boats). Most of the time, we had it
going full throttle. 14 years later, it still starts on the first
crank...and never had a penny spent on repairs. I couldn't imagine running
an engine any harder, yet that Nissan has held up.

Knotabight <knota...@aol.com> wrote in message

Keith

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
I second everyone else's comments. I've had a Nissan 5 hp for several
years, never fails to start on the first or second pull, even when
putting it back in the water after winter storage. Only thing I've ever
had to do is the regular maintenance. Change the lower unit oil and
spark plug yearly, the fuel filter occasionally, keep it clean and
lubricated. Spray the electricals inside with Corrosion Block
occasionally. I love it!

BOB SANGUIGNI

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
GREAT MOTORS BUT SERVICE FACILITIES CAN BE HARD TO FIND

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Knotabight wrote:

> In article <72nl4.2$6B1....@bgtnsc06-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "BOB
> SANGUIGNI" <SANGUIGN...@worldnet.att.ne@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>

> writes:
> >GREAT MOTORS BUT SERVICE FACILITIES CAN BE HARD TO FIND
>
> That's odd because one of the selling points for me was the fact that they had
> a dealer in town and several others within a radius of just a few miles unlike
> Suzuki which only had one unresponsive dealer in a neighboring village. Now we
> have a Mercury and Honda dealer right on the waterfront which will be handy if
> this one ever dies( or they take it away from me).

This newsgroup is notorious for posters insisting that anecdoctal
information about their area invalidates knowledge distilled from many
data points.

Compared to Mercury, OMC and Yamaha, there are relatively few
full-service dealers for Suzuki and Nissan-branded outboards. Suzuki for
several years has been trying to buy market share for its engines by
offering extended warranties at no additional cost. I don't know how
well that tactic has worked. And, while I visit a lot of boat showrooms,
the only places I've seen Nissan outboards has been at West Marine
stores. I know there are some Nissan outboard dealers somewhere...I've
just never seen any.

--
Harry Krause
------------

If at first you don't succeed, steal someone else's.

Dana Seero

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:

> Compared to Mercury, OMC and Yamaha, there are relatively few
> full-service dealers for Suzuki and Nissan-branded outboards. Suzuki for
> several years has been trying to buy market share for its engines by
> offering extended warranties at no additional cost. I don't know how
> well that tactic has worked. And, while I visit a lot of boat showrooms,
> the only places I've seen Nissan outboards has been at West Marine
> stores. I know there are some Nissan outboard dealers somewhere...I've
> just never seen any.
>
> --
> Harry Krause

...I guess that means a Mercury-brand Tohatsu is all set, then.

Harry Krause

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00

More set than a Tohatsu branded engine. Many Tohatsu dealers in your
neck of the woods? If your Tohatsu breaks down, will your Mercury dealer
repair it under warranty? Nope. If your Tohatsu is out of warranty, will
your Mercury dealer fix it? Maybe, but you'll wait until after he takes
care of his Mercury customers. Your Mercury dealer might order parts for
you for your broken down Tohatsu, but, then again, maybe he wouldn't.

My dad had a sign over the counter at his repair shop. "We Service FIRST
What We Sell." He meant it, too. I've seen that attitude applied at a
number of front-line dealerships. Many well-run dealer service
departments simply do not need and cannot handle any more business than
they receive from their regulars.

Tohatsu...it just don't have that friendly outboard motor right to it.
Probably should have kept their old name, Toyko Hatsu-doki Company, Ltd.
You do know that Merc helped them get into the outboard business?

I'll have to check some of my old WW II stuff to see what interesting
things they made between 1935 and 1945.

--
Harry Krause

Knotabight

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

Dale Peterson

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
I tried to buy a 15hp Tohatsu 4 stroke from the Tohatsu dealer in Reno, NV.
He said the Distributor in Texas was having problems getting Tohatsu because
of a Warranty dispute with the MFG in Japan. So He said he'd order me a
Nissan, because of the boatshows, he said it would be May or June before
he could get a Nissan. Well he sold Evinrude also, so I bought a 15hp 4
cycle Evinrude electric w/remote controls.
So Far so Good........ {:~)

Dale P...........
Nevada Varmint

"Harry Krause" <hkr...@capu.net> wrote in message

Knotabight

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In article <38962900...@capu.net>, hkr...@capuantispam.net writes:

>This newsgroup is notorious for posters insisting that anecdoctal
>information about their area invalidates knowledge distilled from many
>data points.

What this newsgroup is especially notorious for is delibertly misinterpreting
messages to make way for the same old caustic drivel.

Marcus G Bell

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:
> > > Compared to Mercury, OMC and Yamaha, there are relatively
> > > few full-service dealers for Suzuki and Nissan-branded
> > > outboards. ...

> Dana Seero wrote:
> > ...I guess that means a Mercury-brand Tohatsu is all set,
> > then.

Harry Krause (hkr...@capu.net) wrote:
> More set than a Tohatsu branded engine.

Tohatsu makes Mercury/Mariner outboards 5 HP and below. The
original poster was asking about a 30 HP Nissan, which is why I
didn't mention the Merc connection to Tohatsu, as it's interesting
but not strictly relevant to his situation.

> Many Tohatsu dealers in your neck of the woods?

Six within an hour's drive. More than that if you count Nissan
dealers.

> If your Tohatsu breaks down, will your Mercury dealer repair it
> under warranty? Nope.

Now that is a *very* good point. In my "other neck of the woods"
where I do most of my boating, Merc dealers are hard to come by,
but Tohatsu/Nissan dealers are damn near impossible to find. I've
seldom had to have warranty work done on any product, but the
sting of having a new product break down would be made that much
worse by having to drag it across the state to get it fixed under
warranty. So, it reinforces the point often made here, it's
important to consider what warrany service centers are available
where the product is *used*, because that's where it will break.

> If your Tohatsu is out of warranty, will your Mercury dealer fix
> it? Maybe, but you'll wait until after he takes care of his
> Mercury customers. Your Mercury dealer might order parts for you
> for your broken down Tohatsu, but, then again, maybe he
> wouldn't.

That depends on the type and location of dealer. In some places,
motors bought at the dealer still under warranty get priority,
everybody else gets in the same line wihtout regard to motor
brand, color, etc., because that's the best way to the customer's
heart around there. These "dealers" sell more used outboards of
all brands than new outboards of their brand, and service is their
main bread and butter. Not a general case, though, so it pays to
check out what things are like near the water you boat in.

> Tohatsu...it just don't have that friendly outboard motor right
> to it. Probably should have kept their old name, Toyko
> Hatsu-doki Company, Ltd. You do know that Merc helped them get
> into the outboard business?

Hmmm. What's the Merc/Tohatsu connection prior to 1983?

> I'll have to check some of my old WW II stuff to see what
> interesting things they made between 1935 and 1945.

Railcars and portable engine-powered electric generators. Outboard
production didn't start till 1956.

-- -- Marcus. ( be...@mail.med.upenn.edu )

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Marcus G Bell wrote:

> > Dana Seero wrote:
> > > ...I guess that means a Mercury-brand Tohatsu is all set,
> > > then.
>
> Harry Krause (hkr...@capu.net) wrote:
> > More set than a Tohatsu branded engine.
>
> Tohatsu makes Mercury/Mariner outboards 5 HP and below. The
> original poster was asking about a 30 HP Nissan, which is why I
> didn't mention the Merc connection to Tohatsu, as it's interesting
> but not strictly relevant to his situation.
>
> > Many Tohatsu dealers in your neck of the woods?
>
> Six within an hour's drive. More than that if you count Nissan
> dealers.

Hmmm. No Tohatsu or Nissan outboard dealers in the Northern Virginia
Yellow Pages under boats or outboard motors. One Nissan Marine dealer
listed in the MPC Boaters Directory under outboard motors, somewhere NE
of Bal'mer. Lots of Merc, OMC, Yamaha, Honda dealers listed. Probably
some small shops handle Nissan/Tohatsu but aren't paying for separate
phone directory listings.

My guess is that many Nissan/Tohatsu dealers are tertiary marine dealers
at best, dealers who could not get or did not want Merc, OMC, Honda,
Yamaha. Or they are retail store outlets, like West Marine or BOAT/US.

--
Harry Krause
------------

24 hours in a day -- 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?

Marcus G Bell

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:
> > > Many Tohatsu dealers in your neck of the woods?

> Marcus G Bell wrote:
> > Six within an hour's drive. More than that if you count Nissan
> > dealers.

The revised count is actually 11 Tohatsu/Nissan "dealers" within
an hour's drive, many of those are within 1/2 hour. These are from
the Tohatsu and Nissan Marine websites (both set up by Marubeni,
the US distributor). I recognize some as Tohatsu, others as
Nissan, since I've been to some of them.

hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:
> Hmmm. No Tohatsu or Nissan outboard dealers in the Northern
> Virginia Yellow Pages under boats or outboard motors. One Nissan
> Marine dealer listed in the MPC Boaters Directory under outboard
> motors, somewhere NE of Bal'mer.

2 in Woodbridge, one in Alexandria (Boat US), 3 in Annapolis, 1
each in Deale, Solomons, and Beltsville (Boater's World).

> My guess is that many Nissan/Tohatsu dealers are tertiary marine
> dealers at best, dealers who could not get or did not want Merc,
> OMC, Honda, Yamaha. Or they are retail store outlets, like West
> Marine or BOAT/US.

That's not too far from my observation. Some of the dealers stock
maybe one or two motors but can order you whatever you want from
the line(s) they carry. That would be a tertiary dealer.

Several of the Tohatsu dealers I've been to have no local
competition from the "major" brands, so their carrying Tohatsu is
probably by their choice rather than not being able to get a
franchise territory. They sell less expensive boats to a
less-than-cosmopolitan demographic, but their inventory is
reasonably extensive. In some areas, they would be considered big
dealers, and in fact when you consider what's around them, they
*are* big. They're small-time only compared to the big-city guys
40 miles away.

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Marcus G Bell wrote:

> > Marcus G Bell wrote:
> > > Six within an hour's drive. More than that if you count Nissan
> > > dealers.
>
> The revised count is actually 11 Tohatsu/Nissan "dealers" within
> an hour's drive, many of those are within 1/2 hour. These are from
> the Tohatsu and Nissan Marine websites (both set up by Marubeni,
> the US distributor). I recognize some as Tohatsu, others as
> Nissan, since I've been to some of them.
>
> hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:
> > Hmmm. No Tohatsu or Nissan outboard dealers in the Northern
> > Virginia Yellow Pages under boats or outboard motors. One Nissan
> > Marine dealer listed in the MPC Boaters Directory under outboard
> > motors, somewhere NE of Bal'mer.
>
> 2 in Woodbridge, one in Alexandria (Boat US), 3 in Annapolis, 1
> each in Deale, Solomons, and Beltsville (Boater's World).

I called Boater's World. It sells the line. So, I asked, what happens if
I need it repaired?
Answer: Well, I dunno. We don't fix them. But there is a dealer down in
Woodbridge that handles them. He gives me the number, the dealer there
starts laughing. Nope, we don't handle them.Dunno where you might get a
repair or parts. We don't touch them.

I'll pass, thankyewverymuch.

--
Harry Krause
------------

Meddle not in the affairs of wizards, for<<poof>>..ribbit

Jim

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00

<hkr...@capuantispam.net> wrote in message
<snip>

> I called Boater's World. It sells the line. So,
I asked, what happens if
> I need it repaired?
> Answer: Well, I dunno. We don't fix them. But
there is a dealer down in
> Woodbridge that handles them. He gives me the
number, the dealer there
> starts laughing. Nope, we don't handle
them.Dunno where you might get a
> repair or parts. We don't touch them.
>
> I'll pass, thankyewverymuch
> Harry Krause

Wow, really extensive research you did Harry. I
guess no one works on Nissan outboards anymore
because you were not able to find one with your
two phone calls.

I bought my 5 hp Nissan at the Boaters World near
me this past Saturday and was given a list of
authorized repair shops when I asked about repair
service. 2 are located within 30 minutes from our
marina. As Marcus stated, the web site
www.nissanmarine.com also lists dealers in your
area.

Jim

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
Jim wrote:

> <hkr...@capuantispam.net> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > I called Boater's World. It sells the line. So,
> I asked, what happens if
> > I need it repaired?
> > Answer: Well, I dunno. We don't fix them. But
> there is a dealer down in
> > Woodbridge that handles them. He gives me the
> number, the dealer there
> > starts laughing. Nope, we don't handle
> them.Dunno where you might get a
> > repair or parts. We don't touch them.
> >
> > I'll pass, thankyewverymuch
> > Harry Krause
>
> Wow, really extensive research you did Harry. I
> guess no one works on Nissan outboards anymore
> because you were not able to find one with your
> two phone calls.

Actually, I made three. With a Merc, OMC or Yamaha, I'd only have to
make one.

--
Harry Krause
------------

Diskettes cannot be backed up by running them through the Xerox machine.

Marcus G Bell

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:
> I called Boater's World. It sells the line. So, I asked, what
> happens if I need it repaired? Answer: Well, I dunno. We don't
> fix them. But there is a dealer down in Woodbridge that handles
> them. He gives me the number, the dealer there starts laughing.
> Nope, we don't handle them.Dunno where you might get a repair or
> parts. We don't touch them.

You've just described some of the harrowing process of trying to
find parts/service for an OMC, Merc, or Yamaha in some places. I
know this for a fact because I've been to some of those places.
It's a regional thing.

Some areas are well connected in terms of available Tohatsu/Nissan
service. I know this for a fact because I've been to some of those
places. I'm sure your intent was only to relate a story about the
problems you had in your area, but this newsgroup is notorious for

posters insisting that anecdoctal information about their area

invalidates knowledge distilled from many data points, so I just
want to make sure to emphasize that folks should check for
themselves where *they* are.

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
Marcus G Bell wrote:

> hkr...@capuantispam.net wrote:
> > I called Boater's World. It sells the line. So, I asked, what
> > happens if I need it repaired? Answer: Well, I dunno. We don't
> > fix them. But there is a dealer down in Woodbridge that handles
> > them. He gives me the number, the dealer there starts laughing.
> > Nope, we don't handle them.Dunno where you might get a repair or
> > parts. We don't touch them.
>
> You've just described some of the harrowing process of trying to
> find parts/service for an OMC, Merc, or Yamaha in some places. I
> know this for a fact because I've been to some of those places.
> It's a regional thing.

Well, I did look at the Nissan Outboard pages and call places that were
recommended. How "regional" do you think the problem is? When we first
moved to Jax, I found two full-service Merc dealers within four miles of
the house, and one of them was also a full-service OMC and Yamaha
dealer. While it was impossible for these dealers to maintain every part
in stock, the few times my Mercs needed something they either had it or
had it the next day.

When we were relocating up here, I called Merc's tech department and was
given the name of three dealerships convenient to me that were familiar
with Optimax and in fact had sent mechanics out to Merc for Opti
training. I called one place, made an appointment to visit the service
manager, was given the grand tour and offered room to store my boat, a
launch ramp and even fishing advice. I was very impressed with the
facilities and courtesy and made immediate arrangements.

> Some areas are well connected in terms of available Tohatsu/Nissan
> service. I know this for a fact because I've been to some of those
> places. I'm sure your intent was only to relate a story about the
> problems you had in your area, but this newsgroup is notorious for
> posters insisting that anecdoctal information about their area
> invalidates knowledge distilled from many data points, so I just
> want to make sure to emphasize that folks should check for
> themselves where *they* are.
>
> -- -- Marcus. ( be...@mail.med.upenn.edu )

It's wonderful to be quoted correctly and even in context. Thanks. My
data is distilled from several data points.
--
Harry Krause
------------

"Meow" ...splat... "Aarf" ...splat... (raining cats and dogs)

Marcus G Bell

Feb 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/2/00
> ...How "regional" do you think the problem is?

Hmmm, how about "very"? Though, I'd say that the problem finding
decent Merc/OMC/Yamaha service is less regional than that of
finding Nissan/Tohatsu service.

> When we first moved to Jax, I found two full-service Merc
> dealers within four miles of the house, and one of them was also
> a full-service OMC and Yamaha dealer. While it was impossible
> for these dealers to maintain every part in stock, the few times
> my Mercs needed something they either had it or had it the next
> day.

> When we were relocating up here, I called Merc's tech department
> and was given the name of three dealerships convenient to me

I've been places like those, too. They exist, but they aren't
everywhere.

> When we were relocating up here, I called Merc's tech department
> and was given the name of three dealerships convenient to me
> that were familiar with Optimax and in fact had sent mechanics
> out to Merc for Opti training. I called one place, made an
> appointment to visit the service manager, was given the grand
> tour and offered room to store my boat, a launch ramp and even
> fishing advice. I was very impressed with the facilities and
> courtesy and made immediate arrangements.

I've been places where you call around and *if* you find someone
who stocks a few Merc parts, you don't dare ask to visit the
"service manager" or whether they've sent mechanics to service
school, because if you have to ask, you don't want to know.

Appointment? Sheesh, this ain't no Ferrari shop. Put your outboard
on the rack over there and I'll get to it after I get done with
these two. Didn't bring it? How'm I suposed to work on it if you
didn't bring it? Oh, it's a big one, OK, next time, bring the boat
and trailer, and no I won't put you in "line" till you bring it.
You want the grand tour? Just look around the barn there, and
here's the field where we store the boats, just back the trailer
in there.

I'm sure your intent was only to relate the good experiences you
had in some areas, and I wish for all experiences like yours. But

this newsgroup is notorious for posters insisting that anecdoctal
information about their area invalidates knowledge distilled from
many data points, so I just want to make sure to emphasize that
folks should check for themselves where *they* are.

> It's wonderful to be quoted correctly and even in context.

> Thanks. My data is distilled from several data points.

You're very welcome. My data comprise several points, too.

Marcus G Bell

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00

Marcus G Bell (be...@mail.med.upenn.edu) wrote:
> Hmmm. What's the Merc/Tohatsu connection prior to 1983?

Harry, I was hoping you would fill in the blanks about your
statement that Merc helped Tohatsu get into the outboard business.
What say you?

hkr...@capuantispam.net

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00

Ahh, my recollection is that Merc did some joint-venturing or investing
or both in Tohatsu to help the company gain entree into the US
marketplace, I think because Merc was interested in labeling some of
Tohatsu's smaller products. I still subscribed to some of the boating
trade pubs way back then and recall reading about it. Nothing more than
that. Tohatsu, of course, made outboards before Merc's involvement, but
I suspect hadn't had any great success cracking the US marketplace.

It's just a fading memory, Marcus, but I know there was some
Merc-Tohatsu joint development going on in the early 80's.

--
Harry Krause
------------

Jogging my memory is as close as I get to exercise.

Marcus G Bell

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
Tan PS (qystan@spammer_magix.com.sg) wrote:
> From what I've heard is that Merc used a Japanese manufacturer
> to make the smaller outbds, the under 20hp or something. Don't
> know if it is Tohatsu. Believe this is still going on. In fact
> I've got comments about their 15hp being practically identical
> to a Yamaha 15hp (or is it a 20).

Tohatsu makes Mercury/Mariner outboards 5 HP and below.

Yamaha makes parts and assemblies for Merc 4-strokes above 5 HP.
On a select few models, Yamaha makes the whole powerhead assembly,
but on the others only parts, and Merc supplies the lower
units.

Tan PS

Feb 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/6/00
From what I've heard is that Merc used a Japanese manufacturer to make the

> Marcus G Bell wrote:

> > Marcus G Bell (be...@mail.med.upenn.edu) wrote:
> > > Hmmm. What's the Merc/Tohatsu connection prior to 1983?
> >
> > Harry, I was hoping you would fill in the blanks about your
> > statement that Merc helped Tohatsu get into the outboard business.
> > What say you?
> >

> > -- -- Marcus. ( be...@mail.med.upenn.edu )

Gerald Atkin

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
Wonder why Boat US, Boaters World and West Marine only sell this motor?
Think it might be that they consider it is the best choice for their
customers. They certainly would not sell junk considering the amount of
business they do. I hear the Nissan/Tohatsu motors are the standard for the
cruising sailor as they are so dependable and don't need a lot of repair
work.

Jerry

> Jim wrote:
> >
> > <hkr...@capuantispam.net> wrote in message
> > <snip>

> > > I called Boater's World. It sells the line. So,
> > I asked, what happens if
> > > I need it repaired?
> > > Answer: Well, I dunno. We don't fix them. But
> > there is a dealer down in
> > > Woodbridge that handles them. He gives me the
> > number, the dealer there
> > > starts laughing. Nope, we don't handle
> > them.Dunno where you might get a
> > > repair or parts. We don't touch them.

Harry Krause

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
Gerald Atkin wrote:

> Wonder why Boat US, Boaters World and West Marine only sell this motor?
> Think it might be that they consider it is the best choice for their
> customers. They certainly would not sell junk considering the amount of
> business they do. I hear the Nissan/Tohatsu motors are the standard for the
> cruising sailor as they are so dependable and don't need a lot of repair
> work.
>
> Jerry

Because it is the motor they can get drop shipped to them without the
usual outboard motor dealership entanglements?

--
Harry Krause
------------

Coffee and Echomail -- the best way to start your day.

Lee

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
In article <38B46B5D...@capu.net>, Harry Krause <hkr...@capu.net> wrote:
>Gerald Atkin wrote:
>>
>> Wonder why Boat US, Boaters World and West Marine only sell this motor?
>> Think it might be that they consider it is the best choice for their
>> customers. They certainly would not sell junk considering the amount of
>> business they do. I hear the Nissan/Tohatsu motors are the standard for the
>> cruising sailor as they are so dependable and don't need a lot of repair
>> work.
>>
>> Jerry
>
>Because it is the motor they can get drop shipped to them without the
>usual outboard motor dealership entanglements?

Dealership entanglements??? What the heck does that mean? Does that apply to
OMC as well now that they are selling through Cabela's? Or to Mercury now
that they are selling through West Marine? Somehow I don't think the fact
that they sell Nissan has anything to do with a lack of "dealership
entanglements". I would tend to agree with Gerald that perhaps they just
think it's a good motor at a good price; makes more sense than your dealership
entanglements theory.

Harry Krause

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00

Until very recently, such arrangements with companies such as OMC or
Merc were otherwise entangled. I'm not commenting on the quality of the
little motors NISSAN sold through the boat supply stores, but, rather,
the way such things traditionally have been sold by the US
manufacturers.

--
Harry Krause
------------

Every time my ship comes in, there's a dock strike!

Dana Seero

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
Harry Krause wrote:

> Gerald Atkin wrote:
> >
> > Wonder why Boat US, Boaters World and West Marine only sell this motor?
> > Think it might be that they consider it is the best choice for their
> > customers. They certainly would not sell junk considering the amount of
> > business they do. I hear the Nissan/Tohatsu motors are the standard for the
> > cruising sailor as they are so dependable and don't need a lot of repair
> > work.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Because it is the motor they can get drop shipped to them without the
> usual outboard motor dealership entanglements?

That must be it - now West Marine is selling Mercury.

Ray Thackeray

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
to Gerald Atkin
Nissan make nearly all the small horsepower outboards. They make 'em for
Tohatsu, and (don't quote me) Mercury and a bunch of others - they just relabel
the motor.

Ray

Gerald Atkin wrote:

> Wonder why Boat US, Boaters World and West Marine only sell this motor?
> Think it might be that they consider it is the best choice for their
> customers. They certainly would not sell junk considering the amount of
> business they do. I hear the Nissan/Tohatsu motors are the standard for the
> cruising sailor as they are so dependable and don't need a lot of repair
> work.
>
> Jerry

Marcus G Bell

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Ray Thackeray (sea...@tinkers.com) wrote:

> Nissan make nearly all the small horsepower outboards. They make
> 'em for Tohatsu, and (don't quote me) Mercury and a bunch of
> others - they just relabel the motor.

It's more like this: Tohatsu make nearly all the small horsepower
outboards. They make 'em for Mercury, Johnson, and a bunch of
others. Tohatsu also makes every Nissan - they just relabel the
motor.

All new Mercs 5HP and below are Tohtasu. In the other brands,
Tohatsu makes the 2 - 3.3 hp loop-charged one lungers of
approximately 4.5 cubic inches.

Cliff Dean

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
The biggest problem with them is getting parts and service? I don't like
waiting 2 weeks or more to get a part?
"Ray Thackeray" <sea...@tinkers.com> wrote in message

> Nissan make nearly all the small horsepower outboards. They make 'em for
> Tohatsu, and (don't quote me) Mercury and a bunch of others - they just
relabel
> the motor.

MarinePhysicians

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
Actually, Tohatsu is the original manufacturer, then Nissan, Mercury, and other
tag their name and paint on them. As far as two weeks wait for parts? This is
usually not the case at all, generally the parts are shipped fed-ex or UPS that
or next day of order. And for the Nissan being a good motor? They are great
motors, no doubt. If you have any Nissan specific questions, feel free to
e-mail me directly and I will be glad to help you out.

Chuck
<a
href="http://www.geocities.com/baja/cliffs/6871/marinephysicians.html">Marine
Physicians </a>