snow boating

Jean Hammond

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Anybody know the best boat to use in the snow? Is it possible to
actually carve turns or do you just slide straight down like in a sled?

David

Gary Pagac

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:52:21 -0500, Jean Hammond <jea...@ibm.net>
wrote:

>Anybody know the best boat to use in the snow? Is it possible to
>actually carve turns or do you just slide straight down like in a sled?
>
>David

Hey David -- each January 1st a number of us break in the new
year by floating our Little Spokane River, a 7 mile flatwater trip.
We put in at a Fish & Wildlife site and it is, of course, closed then.
So, we have to slip under the gate and sled down this long hill to the
river. Generally, i'd say any opened hull boat, mostly canoes, fair
better since a person can do a
knee-in-the-boat/other-leg-in-the-snow-pushing action! However, as
long as one can get that rythum (sp), anything will work!

I've never seen or heard of anyone putting their rudder in the snow.

Last Jan 1 we had two feet of snow in the ground, and a sunny 46
degree day!!!

Gary Pagac, Spokane Falls WA

Reid Drucker

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

We use my brothers Prijon Twiater and its a blast. It is harder to turn
than a sled, but you go much faster especially if you wax the bottom.
-Al

Clay Harless

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

If you want to see some fantastic kayak 'skiing', look for the newest
Warren Miller Ski film in your area "SnowRiders II".
There is one sequence in deep powder that looks like a complete blast.
Then there is the sequence with the moron in the mogul field,...
amazing he was able to stand up at the bottom.

And of course, there's the other 1.5-2 hours of awesome skiing and
snowboarding.

Clay
--
YeaHa!
` ` ` O /

Sean Buckley

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In article <3479B1...@junKnortel.ca>, Clay Harless
<charle...@junKnortel.ca> wrote:

> If you want to see some fantastic kayak 'skiing', look for the newest
> Warren Miller Ski film in your area "SnowRiders II".
> There is one sequence in deep powder that looks like a complete blast.
> Then there is the sequence with the moron in the mogul field,...
> amazing he was able to stand up at the bottom.
>
> And of course, there's the other 1.5-2 hours of awesome skiing and
> snowboarding.
>
> Clay

Also a pair in Whipits carving turns and 360s in deep powder. A little
slolam tree action too. They to top it off with a slide off the 25'?
snowback into the river. Not to be missed. Wish it was longer.

How about the mountainbiker doing 75mph???

sean

Chrising1

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In article <34785F...@ibm.net>, Jean Hammond <jea...@ibm.net> writes:

> Is it possible to
>actually carve turns or do you just slide straight down like in a sled?

Try doing regular Stern rudders, just push down a bit harder.

Chris.
Chris Ingram.

Max/Joyce Wellhouse

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

My kids and I have had a blast using the Top Duo from Eskimo/Prijon. Two
get to ride instead of one. Works better when we get an ice storm as
opposed to wet snow. Ho;e #13 at our Burns park golf course is an
especially short but sweet ride down the hill. Not much carve, maybe too
much speed for easy turning.

Bullwinkle

Jean Hammond <jea...@ibm.net> wrote in article <34785F...@ibm.net>...
> Anybody know the best boat to use in the snow? Is it possible to

> actually carve turns or do you just slide straight down like in a sled?
>

> David

PGV

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Seems like a hard chined boat would carve the best on snow. A boat like a
Hammer etc. Round dispalcement boats without edges won't give you much
lateral control. Tried it once on a Response and ended up sodesurfing all the
way down. Also beware of cracking. The plastic gets stiffer as the temp gets
colder. We did that to a boat too, though it was fun while it lasted.

Michael K. Randall

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

There was a short article in either this or last months Snow Country
magazine about snow boating. It sounded pretty hairball, at least the way
this guy does it. I was kind of discouraged when he said the only way to
slow down, not necessarily stop, was to flip over and drag your face like
and anchor.

Clay Harless wrote:

> If you want to see some fantastic kayak 'skiing',...

--
Thanks to hirby for this fine sig.
And for you automated email spammers out there,

Chairman Reed Hundt: rhu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner James Quello: jqu...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Susan Ness: sn...@fcc.gov
Commissioner Rachelle Chong: rch...@fcc.gov

And let's help you send some spam to the USPS, too:
cust...@email.usps.gov

chapelle family

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

Michael K. Randall wrote:

> There was a short article in either this or last months Snow Country
> magazine about snow boating. It sounded pretty hairball, at least the way
> this guy does it. I was kind of discouraged when he said the only way to
> slow down, not necessarily stop, was to flip over and drag your face like
> and anchor.

A guy in our club broke his back out at WISP ski area back in the early
80's snowboating in his kayak....It was at an annual race they had at
the resort...He did fully recover and continues to kayak and ski
today....but I don't know that he has combined them both since then.....

sheila

RWFarnum

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

<<If you use a bungee cord tied between a tree and the back of your boat, can
you ride up and down the hill several times before stopping? Bob>>

Finally I read a good use for that silly leash.