Help: leaking bulkheads in plastic kayak

Michael Embree

Sep 23, 1994, 4:49:50 PM9/23/94
I have an Aquaterra Sealion which I purchased new about a 1.5 years ago,
this is a linear polyethelene sea kayak with closed cell foam bulkheads.
I noticed a while ago that the glue or caulk (it's hard, clear translucent
and feels like plastic) which was used by the manufacturer to seal the
bulkheads to the hull is no longer stuck to the hull at the rear bulkhead
(it seems to still be stuck to the bulkhead). The bulkhead is no longer
watertight, if I get water in the cockpit it now drains into the rear
compartment. Does anyone know what to use to make a reasonably permanent
repair (hopefully better than the original).
--
Michael Embree Email: mem...@fox.nstn.ca
or: ssvs.e...@gov.ns.ca

Bob Manich

Sep 26, 1994, 4:43:00 PM9/26/94
In article <35vf1e$d...@owl.nstn.ns.ca>, ssvs.e...@gov.ns.ca (Michael
Embree) wrote:

> I have an Aquaterra Sealion .... The bulkhead is no longer
> watertight, ...
>
> Michael Embree

Michael,
They all do that.
What I've done with mine is to:
1) remove the leaky bulkhead,
2) clean it and the mating surface,
3) put new marine caulk on boat mating surface,
4) slide bulkhead back in place,
5) and caulk around the edges of bulkhead.

It takes a day or so for the caulk to dry, depending on the brand.
I tried using the boat with uncured caulk and the caulk disolved.
I found the front bulkhead was hard to reach, but the back one
is easy.
I also found that if I sit on the boat or otherwise flex the bulkhead
it develops leaks faster. Good luck.
Bob Manich

ralph diaz

Sep 26, 1994, 10:37:10 PM9/26/94
Regarding leaking bulkheads on plastic kayaks, there is nothing
you can do that will hold for long. No manufacturer, I repeat,
no manufacturer has come up with a fail-safe set of bulkheads for
a plastic kayak. Nothing adheres for long to the surface, and
the flex in the boats from such actions as dragging them over
logs or tightening them down on roof racks, all tend to make the
hull flex away from the bulkhead and break the seal. The best
setup seems to be the Prijon with its cargo pods and the Puffin
with its paddler's pod.

My advice is get airbags as double insurance against losing the
boat and your life in the event the bulkheads go while on open
water. It happened to my wife in a plastic sea kayak. She
didn't die but it was a real scare.

--
ralph diaz/folding kayaker newsletter
PO Box 0754

LKFJR

Oct 3, 1994, 1:38:04 PM10/3/94
In article <3680gm$945$1...@mhade.production.compuserve.com>, ralph diaz
<73531...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>Regarding leaking bulkheads on plastic kayaks, there is nothing
>you can do that will hold for long. No manufacturer, I repeat,
>no manufacturer has come up with a fail-safe set of bulkheads for
>a plastic kayak. Nothing adheres for long to the surface, and
>the flex in the boats from such actions as dragging them over
>logs or tightening them down on roof racks, all tend to make the
>hull flex away from the bulkhead and break the seal.

Ralph is certainly correct about plastic boats and bulkhead integrity.
some manufacturers' attempts last longe than others, but the result is the
same. Always be wary of a used plastic boat and add float bags. Remember,
air bags will come out of boat immediately unless tied in.

Review the fatalities of last few years and note how many are plastic
boats and then read CG report to see how many had decks awash. Food for
thought if you are going to entrust your life to one of these.

I think I'd prefer to look at something else.

Craig Lund

Oct 3, 1994, 3:43:31 PM10/3/94
Aquaterra told me to seal my bulkheads annually. They suggested
I use "Lexel". The tube says "Lexel tightly seals your home, making
it comfortable ..." I guess you can buy the stuff at a hardware
store. Aquaterra sent me a few tubes so I have not had to look
for it. It did see it in the kayak section of the local REI. However,
it was expensive there.

There is a telephone number on the tube. It says Sashco 800 767 5656.

--
Craig Lund cl...@mc.com
Mercury Computer Systems, Inc. Tel 508 256 1300 x264

Mehrab Hossain Apo

Jun 1, 2022, 12:15:41 PM6/1/22

Mehrab Hossain Apo

Jun 1, 2022, 12:16:39 PM6/1/22
On Tuesday, 4 October 1994 at 01:43:31 UTC+6, Craig Lund wrote:
https://sealantgeek.com/best-sealant-for-kayak-bulkheads/