Mariner's Prayer?

Brandy

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
I am looking for the Mariner's or Sailor's Prayer for a safe voyage -
the kind an Old Seafaring Captain would intone before embarking on a
dangerous passage. I have tried doing a search on line, but have come
up empty handed.

Thanks for your help.

Brandy
s/v Windscape

Gould 0738

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

"Contemporary Mariner's Prayer"

Oh God, I've sinned
And that ain't news
But punish me not
By denying me booze.

The sails are in tatters,
The rudder is cracked,
But I'm countin on you, Lord
To get my butt back.

When my voyage is over
And my life's wind is spent,
Let me raft up in Heaven
And pay no slip rent.
Drag my sad flaggin spirit
Up into the air
With no block and no riggin'
And no bosun's chair.

As I draw nigh to death,
Warn me please, (just a smidgen!)
To allow me to repent
And take up religion.

Douglas King

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
IIRC this is from one of Michael Green's books:

"Oh Lord above
send down a dove
with beak as sharp as razors

To rip the throats
of them damned blokes
what sells bad beer to sailors"

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
--
This is what we look like when we're at our best:
http://freehosting.at.webjump.com/ei/eisboch-webjump/45.htm

Brandy

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Thank you both for your input. While your suggestions were witty and
worth saving (which I have), they are not what I had in mind. There is a
prayer asking the Lord for calm seas and gentle breezes and safe passage
for all aboard. I'll just have to keep looking.

Brandy

Mary Merwin & Bob Cross

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Eternal Father strong to save,
Who's arm doth bind the mighty waves,
Who bidst the mighty oceans keep,
Their own appointed limits keep,
Oh heard us when we pray to Thee, For those in peril on the sea.

--
"the adventure is in the journey not the destination"

Gould 0738

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Uh, without getting into religion and starting a thread miles long, why not
just "ask" for calm seas and gentle breezes?

Wouldn't claim to be an expert on prayer
(can't say I get much practice at it) but wouldn't an open heart and a generous
dollop of faith be more important than the actual words spoken?

In most communication, the actual words are just a bridge over which thoughts
and emotions travel from one entity to another.
How the bridge is built is less important than whether it spans the gap.

Anyhow, it now looks like somebody slightly more reverant has submitted a
suitable, classic prayer (rather than a witticism in questionable taste) and
perhaps your prayers for a prayer have been answered. :-)

________
Chuck Gould

Float and let float.

Larry KN4IM

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
God, grant me the power to resist the Evil one, dressed in disguise as
a boat salesman motioning me to step aboard that wonderous paradise of
fiberglass and teak he offers me if I only give up my income, my soul
and my firstborn child.....

We ask this in Jesus name,
Amen.....

(cue Lord's Prayer over Yacht Sales PA speakers)

Is that the one you were looking for??
Larry

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:49:15 -0700, Brandy <wind...@earthlink.net>

ligh...@mindspring.com

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
Brandy <wind...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Thank you both for your input. While your suggestions were witty and
>worth saving (which I have), they are not what I had in mind. There is a
>prayer asking the Lord for calm seas and gentle breezes and safe passage
>for all aboard. I'll just have to keep looking.

>Brandy

Lord, we pray you'll keep an eye
Upon our humble boat.
Watch her and protect her
And make sure she stays afloat.

Let the breeze blow gentle
And a tranquil sea prevail.
Bless all those aboard her
When in port and under sail.

Or the '90's version:

Roses are red
Violets are blue.
If this baby sinks,
Lord, I'm blaming you.

Brandy

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
It would be easier to make it short and sweet, however, the particular prayer I am
looking for is one my father used to say when I was a little girl (I never really
paid a lot of attention back then) Now that he is gone, and I have a boat of my
own, I am preparing to have a plaque made with this prayer - to honor my father and
bless my boat.

The prayer is Celtic in origin, and similar to the Old Irish Blessing "May the
roads rise to meet you, etc". I've tried asking family members, but unfortunately,
those that would remember are long gone.

I appreciate the effort that you all have made on my behalf and I am confident that
(one day) I will find the right prayer.

Brandy

Brandy

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
Good one Larry, :D but not quite what I had in mind.

Brandy

Jerome A. Schroeder

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Would it not be safer and wiser to rely on experience, training and an
accurate weather report? Prayer too often is used as a way of dodging the
awful pain of thinking and planning. Ie. God helps those who help
themselves.

Jerry

Brandy <wind...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Thank you both for your input. While your suggestions were witty and
> worth saving (which I have), they are not what I had in mind. There is a
> prayer asking the Lord for calm seas and gentle breezes and safe passage
> for all aboard. I'll just have to keep looking.
>
> Brandy

itsgr...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2014, 9:27:06 AM9/15/14
On Wednesday, August 11, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Brandy wrote:
> I am looking for the Mariner's or Sailor's Prayer for a safe voyage -
> the kind an Old Seafaring Captain would intone before embarking on a
> dangerous passage. I have tried doing a search on line, but have come
> up empty handed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Brandy
> s/v Windscape

this is what I found ... looks like they may fit the bill...
Prayers to St. Martin of Tours, Patron of Soldiers
Dear well-beloved Saint, you were first a soldier like your father. Converted to the Church, you became a soldier of Christ, a priest and then a Bishop of Tours. Lover of the poor, and model for pagans and Christians alike,protect our soldiers at all times. Make them strong, just, and charitable, always aiming at establishing peace on earth.
LORD of earth, and air, and sea,
Supreme in power and grace,
Under thy protection, we
Our souls and bodies place.
Bold an unknown land to try,
We launch into the foaming deep;
Rocks, and storms, and deaths defy,
With Jesus in the ship.
Who the calm can understand
In a believer's breast?
In the hollow of his hand
Our souls securely rest:
Winds may rise, and seas may roar,
We on his love our spirits stay;
Him with quiet joy adore,
Whom winds and seas obey.

A Prayer Upon Boarding A Ship
On going on Shipboard.
LORD, whom winds and seas obey,
Guide us through the watery way;
In the hollow of thy hand
Hide, and bring us safe to land.
Jesus, let our faithful mind
Rest, on thee alone reclined;
Every anxious thought repress,
Keep our souls in perfect peace.
Keep the souls whom now we leave,
Bid them to each other cleave;
Bid them walk on life's rough sea;
Bid them come by faith to thee.
Save, till all these tempests end,
All who on thy love depend;
Waft our happy spirits o'er;
Land us on the heavenly shore.

helm...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2017, 11:53:51 PM9/10/17
On Wednesday, 11 August 1999 00:00:00 UTC-7, Brandy wrote:
> I am looking for the Mariner's or Sailor's Prayer for a safe voyage -
> the kind an Old Seafaring Captain would intone before embarking on a
> dangerous passage. I have tried doing a search on line, but have come
> up empty handed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Brandy
> s/v Windscape

Could this be it? The Breton Fisherman's Prayer?

Breton Fisherman’s Prayer
- Anonymous

Dear God, be good to me;
The sea is so wide,
And my boat is so small.

This saying (and the plaque it was on) apparently figured in JFK's life.

HelmsmanD

helm...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2017, 11:55:03 PM9/10/17
On Wednesday, 11 August 1999 00:00:00 UTC-7, Brandy wrote:
> I am looking for the Mariner's or Sailor's Prayer for a safe voyage -
> the kind an Old Seafaring Captain would intone before embarking on a
> dangerous passage. I have tried doing a search on line, but have come
> up empty handed.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Brandy
> s/v Windscape

You might also try the Scottish Book of Common Prayer; there are a couple in there.... (the 1662 version).

HelmsmanD

McMorty11

Mar 2, 2022, 8:00:28 PM3/2/22
On Wednesday, August 11, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Brandy wrote:
> I am looking for the Mariner's or Sailor's Prayer for a safe voyage -
> the kind an Old Seafaring Captain would intone before embarking on a
> dangerous passage. I have tried doing a search on line, but have come
> up empty handed.
> Thanks for your help.
> Brandy
> s/v Windscape

I realize this post is over 20 years old, but I was also searching for The Mariner's Prayer that my step-father liked and I found it and thought it might possibly be the one you're looking for. It begins like this:
Oh Master of the mountains, of the rivers and the sea
While I am on my little boat, please Lord, watch over me
Lord, see that I don't stumble or alter from thy sight
And keep me in thy grasp, O Lord, while on my watch at night

and ends like this:
And when I leave this earthly life - I know some day I will
Please let me see that rugged cross upon that barren hill
Then let me sail my little boat across that shiny sea
Where hopes and dreams of all the years become realty.

If it's the one you're looking for, I can provide the middle verses.

lkh

Jun 26, 2022, 4:38:59 AM6/26/22
Interesting, do you know anything about the source?

(also, fun to revive a 23 year old thread :D )
--
l...@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

Anna EldenBrady

Nov 15, 2023, 2:48:23 PM11/15/23
I stumbled across this one (and this thread) while perusing prayers and blessings for a UU church service. Might this be the one you're looking for?

A Sailor’s Prayer

Lord of earth, sea and sky,
You rule the mighty deep,
You rule the uttermost part of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me,
Your right hand will uphold me.

You are my compass,
My lighthouse,
My safe haven in the storm,
Your grace surpasses the mightiest wave-
Protect me from raging winds and treacherous billows!

May your peace keep me whole,
Spirit, soul and body,
Until you come.

May your Spirit guide me,
Unto your save harbour,
My Redeemer and Lord.

Amen.

– Adapted from The Lutheran Book Of Prayer (1951)
(as found https://www.justprayer.gracespace.info/a-sailors-prayer/)

Laurie Vitale

Feb 3, 2024, 8:01:09 PMFeb 3