Propeller/Engine matching question

1 view

Caitlin B

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
I have a Cummins 150 HP diesel aboard, and the propeller is too big
for the engine (the engine cannot reach its rated RPM). The question is,
is this bad for the engine or transmission?
If I replace the propeller, does anyone have any recommendations on
the type of propeller to go with, specifically, would a feathering (not
folding) propeller be worth the extra money (how much do the feathering
propellers cost, anyway?) I'm skeptical of putting anything on the boat
that can break, and it seems to me that the feathering props have a
definite possibility of breakdown, especially on a large diesel.
Does anyone have any experience with the feathering props. How much
do they really enhance sailing performance? Have you had any problems
with them? Would you buy another one?
I've gotten a lot of great advise from this group, and I thank you in
advance for your input!

Fair winds,

Dan

Fair Winds and Following Seas,

Dan,
Formosa '51 "Caitlin B. Jones"

dougl

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
>>snip>>

>cait...@aol.com (Caitlin B) wrote:
>> I have a Cummins 150 HP diesel aboard, and the propeller is too big
>>for the engine (the engine cannot reach its rated RPM). The question is, is this bad for the engine or transmission?>>snip>>

For sure; lugging (operating an engine under load at less than mfr
recommended speed) will result in rapid wear and premature failure. The
result of lugging is exceptionally high pressure on the rod and main
journals and other load-bearing parts of the engine. Marine engines are
built to withstand the constant load conditions associated with pushing
an object through water, but they are not built to do this at less than
recommended engine speeds. Any engine (and other components of the power
train) that are subjected to lugging will wear rapidly, sometimes ending
in catastrophic failure (as in: 'its time to buy a new power train').

BOAT

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

BOAT

mark edward balcom

Mar 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/5/96

> Does anyone have any experience with the feathering props. How much
>do they really enhance sailing performance?

Two friends and I have Cascade 36's. I have a fixed prop. Bill has a
folding prop. Don has a feathering prop. The boats are not exactly
identicle, Bill has a "racing keel" while Don and I have bulb keels, but
Bill has a roachless main while Don and I have standard battened sails. I
can not see any difference in performance when we are sailing. It is just
possible that Don's boat behaves better in reverse, but it could just be
that he has more experience than we. The feathering prop is the most
expensive, something over $1000.00. I have seen no problems with either
of their props in more than 10 years.
Mark