Cape Dory 25 Outboard Help

sber...@ibm.net

Jan 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/9/99
We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
itself.

We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically
pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
the summer.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that
would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
make this easier?

What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this
boat -- problems? Raves?

We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
the same abuse! Thanks.

Seth & Laura

Greg Jackson

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
to sber...@ibm.net
You have a very pretty boat. I enjoy watching boats such as yours sail by. I
would like to recommend that you do not screw it up by hanging a motor on the
stern. I have a 25' boat with a transom hung motor, and the motor really
destroys the lines.

I might suggest a couple of alternatives. First, make certain you have zinc all
over the motor. The ions that would like to eat your motor would much rather
digest the zincs. Second, if there is a problem with the motor getting too deep
in the water when you sail in a heavy chop, you might try to seal up the motor
compartment such that it forms a pocket of air and keeps the water level from
coming up around the motor every time you come off a wave. This would mean you
have to open the motor compartment cover whenever you run the motor, but that's
always a good idea anyway. Sealing the compartment also provides considerable
lift at the stern and would help keep from getting dumped on from behind if you
get caught out in a storm.

GTJ

Jonathan Klopman

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to sber...@ibm.net
sber...@ibm.net wrote:

> We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
> wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
> mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
> up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
> itself.
>
> We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
> so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically
> pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
> the summer.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that
> would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
> perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
> make this easier?
>
> What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this
> boat -- problems? Raves?
>
> We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
> the same abuse! Thanks.
>
> Seth & Laura
Your lifting device will need a pair of rails to lift straight up. There
had been some on the market in alum, but they don't work well. Try to
have a set made up out of cut channel stock. Once the motor is up, you
can store it below the cockpit.

The mid boat idea is workable, however, the brackets are not easy to
come by. As you need a 9.9, this means a fairly substantial piece.

My gut feeling is to modify the existing well for a low friction rail
set up. If it slids up and down easily, then you won't wrench your back.
When you pull the motor and fit a well plug in place, you should pick up
at least a half knot!

Good luck and perservere.

JKK

Robert E. Smith

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
sber...@ibm.net wrote:

> We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
> wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
> mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
> up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
> itself.

A typical CD-25 problem. I used a Johnson 6.6hp and just pulled it out
between uses and placed it on the cabin sole. A little effort but worth
it in the long run. At least there was no more moss cloging the cooling
water inlet. You also get to inspect the prop.
> We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
> so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically
> pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
> the summer.
Not an option in my opinion. That much weight aft on a CD-25 will
seriously unbalance the boat. Just compute the moments yourself.

> Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that
> would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
> perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
> make this easier?
I am afraid my solution was moving to an older, "Classic-31" by Peter
Van Dine with an inboard engine. I dive under at every chance to
inspect and clean the prop and rudder - That is All!

> What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this
> boat -- problems? Raves?
Sorry, no. But it would seem it would make the boat a bear to drive
under power.

> We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
> the same abuse! Thanks.
>
> Seth & Laura
My comments and opinions are based on ten years living with a "brand
new" 1977 CD-25. They are great boats for young folks and small
families. We took our two children on many week-end cruises in the
Annapolis area. A week is about as long as I can take the cramped
quarters and after about about five days you tend to spend a lot of time
on deck even in weather,
dr bob.

IMPELJR

Jan 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/12/99
This is the website for Cape Dory owners.
You should lok up and if necessary post a query on their great bullitin board.
The "board" has been active for a long time and is very useful for most
"generic" boat questions as well. Give it a try and let me know your results
as I to have a 25 CD with an outboard in rehab now.
Here's the address:
http://www.toolworks.com/capedory/ccdoinfo.htm

Al Levesque

Jan 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/15/99
sber...@ibm.net wrote:

> We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
> wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its

> mooring....

There was recently an inquiry in the CD owners bulletin board about fouling
inside an outboard for a CD25. A previous reply listed the web site.

Our 6hp outboard died on us because of fouling inside the water inlet the first
year that we had our CD25. We chose to remove the engine and stored it in the
starboard seat locker using foam to cushion it. We also made a wooden plug to
fill the opening and held it with bungee cord when the engine was not in use.
We found the CD25 maneuverable enough to seldom need the engine and generally
sailed with the engine stored.

I don't know if a 9.9 hp outboard would be as easy to lift and store as the 6hp
was.

Good luck.

cbla...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2019, 11:57:34 AM3/6/19
On Saturday, January 9, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, sber...@ibm.net wrote:
> We have a 25 foot Cape Dory sailboat. Our outboard died this summer, and not
> wonder: it sits submerged in salt water all season while the boat is on its
> mooring. The engine compartment does not have a mechanism to pull the engine
> up when not in use, and it's so narrow that one does not immediately suggest
> itself.
>
> We have considered rigging something to mount the new outboard on the stern
> so we can just tip it out of the water, but this is not very aesthetically
> pleasing, and interferes with the dive ladder, which we use a great deal in
> the summer.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions for a mechanism that
> would allow us to use the existing compartment and lift the engine? Or
> perhaps suggestions for simple modifications to the existing compartment to
> make this easier?
>
> What about experiences with the asymetrical stern-mounted outboard on this
> boat -- problems? Raves?
>
> We would appreciate any input. We don't want to subject our new outboard to
> the same abuse! Thanks.
>
> Seth & Laura

I have the same issue on a 1974 CD 25, and what people don't seem to get is that it just does not work putting the outboard motor into the lazarette well bracket. Modern motors do not fit as you cannot use the outboard motor steering nor can you lift it out of the water easily when not in use. I'm looking for the correct motor mounting bracket that is adjustable for the transom. I do not intend on lifting it or lowering it without an adjustable bracket. The Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro motor with long shaft is between 50-60 lbs and I need a bracket that is adjustable to fit the angled slant of that transom. Removing the motor everytime it's at dock is out of the question and somewhat ridiculous.

What motor mount bracket for a 4 stroke will work on this boat?

Celeste

waynebatr...@hotmail.com

Mar 19, 2019, 11:30:12 AM3/19/19
===

I have one of these and it would probably work for you. I'd be
willing to sell it if you're anywhere near south Florida and can pick
it up.

<https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1825671|2348991&id=56208>

---
https://www.avg.com

smea...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2019, 3:52:39 PM10/30/19
The link to defender doesn't work anymore; however, I'm curious what it is as I have the same situation, CD25 Tahatsu 6HP 4 stroke sailpro. However, my motor mount was modified from the original and I don't know what to refit it back to. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

shirley...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2020, 8:01:17 PM6/15/20
I also have this problem with the hull angle. I just got my motor reworked after it had sat for years in the well by the prior owner. I will not be putting my (now expensive) motor back in the motor well. I purchased an outboard motor mount to put on the back. Now to work out the angle problem. I am going to use wood layered for enough thickness to cut a 30 degree angle for mounting to my hull. A stainless plate on the inside of the hull for stability and to make it sturdy. I will be glassing the wood before mounting to the hull. The motor mount of choice can then be added to the wood. The 30 degree angle will give me a straight set up for the motor.
If anyone has a better idea, please let me know soon before I do all this.

samtrac...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2020, 11:59:19 AM6/17/20
Do you still own the boat. I had a 81 Irwin sailboat and would look at it for you.
Sam

Peter Mumford

Aug 29, 2021, 6:04:13 AM8/29/21
I have a CD 25 and a Tohatsu 6h ultra long shaft sail drive (4 stroke). Its a good motor for the boat, and it charges the batteries.

Fouling on the motor is a problem though. I launched my boat August 1 with a brand new Tohatsu. The motor ran flawlessly. By August 15 the motor was overheating, and stalling. Both the cooling water intake and the through-propeller exhaust were foul. It took two weeks!

The motor is too heavy to lift out of the water and stow in the cockpit on a regular basis. I also don't want to mount the motor on a stern bracket (ugly, hard to reach the controls).

I'm more inclined to cut a vertical slot in the transom to allow the motor to tip up. That would be ugly, but not as bad as having the motor on a bracket. This would also require removing the the mainsheet traveler, and cutting the thwartships beam that supports the traveler.

A new traveler could be installed 6" (approx) forward of the factory location on the cockpit seats. This might be the solution with the fewest drawbacks.