Perkins vs. Yanmar

Dennis

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
I would like to get the good, bad and the ugly on rebuilding my old Perkins
4-154 60 HP vs. repowering to a Yanmar 4JH2-DTE 88 HP? My boat is a 45'
Bruce Robert's custom ketch and weights 38,000 LBS. Book hull speed is 8 ½
knots and Perkins will give me about 7 ½ knots at 2200 rpm. Perkins runs
very smooth and I have put 4,000 hours on her after five years. Perkins
starts easy and runs very smooth and is quiet. My concerns about the Yanmar
4JH2 is 110 cubic inches vs. 154 cubic inches and the Yanmar turns 3600 rpm
vs. 2600 rpm to achieve the same horse power with a turbo? The transmission
is a Borg-Warner 2.9-1 with the Perkins. My friend at the yard says he has
Yanmars with over 10,000 hours and still running strong. I have to pull my
engine to rebuild the transmission this winter so I was going to rebuild the
Perkins.
I rebuilt the head on the Perkins at 3,000 hours and now I need to replace
the main engine rear seal.

Dennis ...
s/v Gisela
den...@airfasco.com
attitudes and latitudes

Phoenix

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
Dennis,
The only negative I have ever heard about Perkins is that their distribution
network is not as wide spread as Yanmar.

--

Jim

"Dennis" <den...@airfasco.com> wrote in message

sv_prince...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
In article <38796...@news5.newsfeeds.com>,

"Dennis" <den...@airfasco.com> wrote:
> I would like to get the good, bad and the ugly on rebuilding my old
Perkins
> 4-154 60 HP vs. repowering to a Yanmar 4JH2-DTE 88 HP? My boat is a
45'

I would keep the Perkins. Rebuild it when needed.
--
Stephen & Annette Bishop
S/V "Princess Aurora"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

I Kapuscinski

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00

Hi Dennis:

The Yanmars are great engines what I hear. The old Perkins are more quiet
because they run at lower rpm. My boat has 4-107 and it is a great little
diesel.

The Yanmar is not one for one replacement with your Perkins. You must
consider costs of not only a new engine but also changing engine room
configuration. This all adds up to a lot of money, certainly more than
rebuilding Perkins.
To change engine you will need to modify engine beds, get new transmission,
your old shaft propably will be to short or long, modify electric wiring
layout, cooling water hoses, rework engine panel mount and fit in a cockpit,
etc., etc. Ask yourself if this hassle is worth it and who do you trust
other than yourself that will do job right first time. I am speaking from
experience. The less you alter your boat from original the better off you
will in the end financially and have fewer frustrations to live with.

Good luck

Igor Kapuscinski
S/V Rainbow, Valiant 40, #166

Rick the Mouseherder

Jan 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/10/00
Well, if you've already got the Perkins, I'd sure rebuild it. Besides
marine use, Perkins have been powering construction equipment worldwide.
You can always find someone who can work on it.

I'm not a fan of turbo units, although I like Yanmars and would repower with
a unblown Yanmar if I had to repower.

--
-------------------------------
Rick the Mouseherder - nh2f

A small boat and a suitcase full of money
beat a 40-footer tied to the Bank every time.

Creative graphic solutions in vinyl for your boat lettering & designs
http://www.mouseherder.com

Visit the Xapic Homepage at:
http://www.abs.net/~nh2f

The Westsail Owners Assn. :
http://www.erols.com/woax

Phoenix wrote in message ...

>Dennis,
>The only negative I have ever heard about Perkins is that their
distribution
>network is not as wide spread as Yanmar.
>
>--
>
>Jim
>

>"Dennis" <den...@airfasco.com> wrote in message

>> I would like to get the good, bad and the ugly on rebuilding my old
>Perkins
>> 4-154 60 HP vs. repowering to a Yanmar 4JH2-DTE 88 HP? My boat is a 45'

tim banse

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00

Don't forget the issues of engine rpm, reduction and propeller. With the
new engine, the propshaft will be turning at a considerably higher rate of
speed, 1000 more rpm. That will change pitch requirements. It may be simply
to get a new transmission with the correct gear ratio, and that matches the
new engine without adapters.

Personally, I'd lean towards keeping the old powerplant. Keep in mind
seasoned blocks ( with cylinders bored oversize) are preferable to green or
new blocks, The reason is heat has caused them to unkink. This actually
allows the reciprocating mass to generate more horsepower. Depending on
displacement it can be as much as five or ten hp. Obviously the value of a
seasoned block also depends on the internal condition of the cooling jacket,
and whether or not corrosion has eaten away an excessive thickness of gray
iron.

Tim Banse - gas engines editor motor boating and sailing magazine.

Jere Lull

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Dennis wrote:

> I would like to get the good, bad and the ugly on rebuilding my old Perkins
> 4-154 60 HP vs. repowering to a Yanmar 4JH2-DTE 88 HP? My boat is a 45'

> Bruce Robert's custom ketch and weights 38,000 LBS. Book hull speed is 8 *
> knots and Perkins will give me about 7 * knots at 2200 rpm. Perkins runs

> very smooth and I have put 4,000 hours on her after five years. Perkins
> starts easy and runs very smooth and is quiet. My concerns about the Yanmar
> 4JH2 is 110 cubic inches vs. 154 cubic inches and the Yanmar turns 3600 rpm
> vs. 2600 rpm to achieve the same horse power with a turbo? The transmission
> is a Borg-Warner 2.9-1 with the Perkins. My friend at the yard says he has
> Yanmars with over 10,000 hours and still running strong. I have to pull my
> engine to rebuild the transmission this winter so I was going to rebuild the
> Perkins.
> I rebuilt the head on the Perkins at 3,000 hours and now I need to replace
> the main engine rear seal.

I wouldn't do it.

The Yanmars ARE good, and everything I've seen indicates 10k (and 20k) hours
certainly possible and we've not had a lick of problem with ours. Heck, they're
putting them in charter boats, possibly the most misused machinery in existence.
But why trade an old reliable, simple engine for a turbo?

You've not shown any reason to get rid of the whole engine. Since you have to have
it out, do a complete rebuild and get another 5 or more years out of her. If you
want to go whole hog, find someone that'll rebuild her better than new. How long do
you plan to keep Gisela, BTW. I don't believe you're ready for retirement just yet,
so probably will get a "new" boat in the next few years.

We repowered Xan when we got her, from a non-functional gas engine. It cost twice
the engine's price to get it professionally installed. [LOTs of little parts and
time!] You'll probably have to change everything except the batteries. Well, you
might get by with the shaft, since you're already geared down, but you'll need a
new prop.

If the primary consideration is the boat speed and cost isn't a concern, go for a
Yanmar. If you have room for a larger prop, get the highest gearing available;
slower is more efficient and maintains speed better. Get the turbo if weight is a
concern, but I believe the newer engines are lighter for the same power, might be
smaller, and I believe in KISS. What DO you do if a turbo goes south in the Out
Islands faster than the boat?

Then again, you might get some of your speed improvement from changing out the prop
or balancing it . Don't recall what wheel you're using or how old Gisela is, but
prop technology has definitely improved over the years. Even our 2-blade Michigan
prop came from the factory seriously out of balance. [Black Dog Props on the
Chesapeake does VERY good computer balancing. The results exceeded the owner's
expectations. Yell if you want their @ddress.]

--
Jere Lull
Xan-a-Deux -- '73 Tanzer 28 #4 -- out of Tolchester, MD

Beek

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
I changed out the Perkins in my 25' power cruiser for an 88hp Yanmar 2 years
ago. I've made 2 trips to the Bahamas since with no problems. Twice the
horsepower and less weight. Smaller, too. I'm happy.
what wJere Lull wrote in message <388134CE...@dca.net>...

>Dennis wrote:
>
>> I would like to get the good, bad and the ugly on rebuilding my old
Perkins
>> 4-154 60 HP vs. repowering to a Yanmar 4JH2-DTE 88 HP? My boat is a 45'
>> Bruce Robert's custom ketch and weights 38,000 LBS. Book hull speed is 8
*
>> knots and Perkins will give me about 7 * knots at 2200 rpm. Perkins runs
>> very smooth and I have put 4,000 hours on her after five years. Perkins
>> starts easy and runs very smooth and is quiet. My concerns about the
Yanmar
>> 4JH2 is 110 cubic inches vs. 154 cubic inches and the Yanmar turns 3600
rpm
>> vs. 2600 rpm to achieve the same horse power with a turbo? The
transmission
>> is a Borg-Warner 2.9-1 with the Perkins. My friend at the yard says he
has
>> Yanmars with over 10,000 hours and still running strong. I have to pull
my
>> engine to rebuild the transmission this winter so I was going to rebuild
the
>> Perkins.
>> I rebuilt the head on the Perkins at 3,000 hours and now I need to
replace
>> the main engine rear seal.

cap'tkip

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
If your Perkins engine was maintained properlly, and has ONLY 4000 hours
on it, you could probablly get a fair price for it, and someone could get
another 4000 hrs. from it. Get the hint?
Jere Lull <jere...@dca.net> wrote in message

Florida Keyz

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Gotta tell you, there is a lot of excitement here in the keys about the john
dere motors.. seem to be simple , and reliable.