Daffy Sailing Definitions

1 view

Gary Mull

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly
going nowhere at great expense.

Beam Sea - A situation in which waves strike a boat from the side,
causing it to roll unpleasantly. This is one of the four
directions from which wave action tends to produce extreme
physical discomfort. The other three are `bow sea' (waves
striking from the front), `following sea' (waves striking
from the rear), and `quarter sea' (waves striking from any
other direction).

Bulkhead - Discomfort suffered by sailors who drink too much.

Calm - Sea condition characterized by the simultaneous disappearance of
the wind and the last cold beverage.

Course - The direction in which a skipper wishes to steer his boat and
from which the wind is blowing.

Crew - Heavy, stationary objects used on shipboard to hold down charts,
anchor cushions in place and dampen sudden movements of the boom.

Current - Tidal flow that carries a boat away from its desire
destination, or towards a hazard.

Flashlight - Tubular metal container used on shipboard for storing dead
batteries prior to their disposal.

Fluke - The portion of an anchor that digs securely into the bottom,
holding the boat in place; also, any occasion when this occurs
on the first try.

Seabag - 1. Canvas sack in which a sailor's gear is carried.
2. Aging mermaid.

Zephyr - Warm, pleasant breeze. Named after the mythical Greek god of
wishful thinking, false hopes, and unreliable forecasts.

--
Gary Mull, ATM - President, GKI Business Services, Dayton, OH
Printing * Ad Specialties * Targeted Mailings/Lists * Marketing Consulting

ga...@pacintl.com

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Then there's:

Jibe: A common way to get unruly guests off your boat.
Tack: A common sticky substance left in the cockpit and
on deck by other people's kids, usually in the
form of foot- or hand-prints. (See Jibe for
removal technique.)
Painter: A line you use to tow the dingy... also especially
useful for preventing Tack.
Jack Lines: "Hey, baby, want to go sailing."
COB: Cash Over Board

Perhaps we should make a compilation of these....

Jonathan

Brian Moum

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

<several definitions snipped>

> Perhaps we should make a compilation of these....
>
> Jonathan

Someone already has. Called "The Sailor's Dictionary." I'd give the author
as well, but my copy is at work right now. Apparently Gary Mull also has
a copy - I recognize all those def'ns from the book.

--
Brian

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
- N. Peart

Ron Flanagan

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In <4olad6$2...@sally.dma.org>, gary...@dma.org (Gary Mull) writes:

>Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly

<< Snip rest of COPYRIGHTED material >>--

>Gary Mull, ATM - President, GKI Business Services, Dayton, OH

Gary, It would appear that these definitions are a word for word copy
of Henry Beard and and Roy McKie's book "A Dictionary for Landlubbers,
Old Salts, & Armchair Drifters", (C)1981, and you have just violated the
copyright laws.

Knocka

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

On May 31, 1996 22:26:20 in article <Re: Daffy Sailing Definitions>, 'Brian

Moum <bc...@psu.edu>' wrote:

>Brian
>
>If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
> - N. Peart

BUT also remember that " Indecision is the key to flexiblity!!!
- Unknown-

mh...@freenet.vcu.edu

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

>Jibe: A common way to get unruly guests off your boat.
>Tack: A common sticky substance left in the cockpit and
> on deck by other people's kids, usually in the
> form of foot- or hand-prints. (See Jibe for
> removal technique.)
>Painter: A line you use to tow the dingy... also especially
> useful for preventing Tack.
>Jack Lines: "Hey, baby, want to go sailing."
>COB: Cash Over Board

Anchor: a metal casting used to provide negative buoyancy to
those annoying lengths of line and chain; to be thrown
overboard at the end of each voyage ceremoniously.
Michael B. Holt | All the survivors of the war had reached their
Richmond, Virginia | homes and so put the perils of battle and the
U.S.A. | sea behind them. -- Homer, The Odyssey, line 1

Paul Kamen

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

flan...@gate.net (Ron Flanagan) writes:

>Gary, It would appear that these definitions are a word for word copy
>of Henry Beard and and Roy McKie's book "A Dictionary for Landlubbers,
>Old Salts, & Armchair Drifters", (C)1981, and you have just violated the
>copyright laws.

Naw, I would argue that this is "educational fair use" in this context.
However Gary still gets forty lashes with a printer cable for failing to
attribute the source.
--
fish...@netcom.com
http://www.well.com/~pk/fishmeal.html

-"Call me Fishmeal"-

Thomas Monette

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

I had some professionsl stand-up comedy people on board for a charter
recently and they re-named just about everything on the boat, like a
winch handle became a Frammis, the head became the Grrriviness, the
gooseneck became the Finnegin Pin. It went on and on but these three I
remember.

Tom Monette
"Windsong"

Tom Zinn

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Ron Flanagan wrote:

> In <4olad6$2...@sally.dma.org>, gary...@dma.org (Gary Mull) writes:
> >
> >Sailing - The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly
>
> << Snip rest of COPYRIGHTED material >>--
>
> >Gary Mull, ATM - President, GKI Business Services, Dayton, OH
>
> Gary, It would appear that these definitions are a word for word copy
> of Henry Beard and and Roy McKie's book "A Dictionary for Landlubbers,
> Old Salts, & Armchair Drifters", (C)1981, and you have just violated the
> copyright laws.

Well Ron, looks like you'd better have him keelhauled, before things
really get out of control.

Don't you have anything worthwhile to post instead of playing policeman.
Of course, I guess I should talk. So...

------------------------------------------------------------------------Obligatory worthwhile posting below:
Anyone who has cruised Baja care to post a list of what they consider
the necessities to improve life on board. This could be either equipment
or something as simple as tupperware.

Thanks,

T o m

John Curtis

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

There's also:

Boat - Bring Out Another Thousand

--
Jack Curtis
Verification - Cisco Systems - ATM Business Unit