Removing varnish/stain from fiberglass

rob

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

I have some places where i need to clean
dried varnish from off of fiberglass in my
cabin. i was a bit sloppy i guess when redoing
the teak and now its dry and i dont know what to do.

help me please

thanx

rob

Louis B. Brydon

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

In article <56v99v$7...@hsun27.chevron.com>, mr...@chevron.com (rob) wrote:

> I have some places where i need to clean

> dried varnish from off of fiberglass...

Pintoff fiberglass paint remover.

1) Apply
2) Wait a little
3) Scrap
4) If clean Yes/No, then exit
5) Goto (1)

Don't wait to long, or you'll start to eat the gelcoat. If the Gelcoat
had a reasonable coat of wax you might first try a soft plastic scraper or
wood tonge depressor, dry, and see if the varnish will release without
paint remover. If a flat surface, a nice new sharp razzor blade will
sometimes be able to get under the varnish without scratching (to badly).
BTW, remove blood stains immediately as they harder to remove after you
return from the ER... (I said SHARP razzor blades!).

--
Louis B. Brydon
bryd...@ssvax1.ssd.loral.com

Brian Smith

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

rob (mr...@chevron.com) wrote:
: I have some places where i need to clean
: dried varnish from off of fiberglass in my

: cabin. i was a bit sloppy i guess when redoing
: the teak and now its dry and i dont know what to do.

You might be able to slice it off (carefully and slowly) with a razor blade.
I have done that and made only an occasional nick (blast!).

B.S!