Islander Freeport 41

olc...@wport.com

Aug 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/16/97

Seeking Opinions, comments regarding this boat.

How does it sail? Bluewater boat?

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks much.

P.S. I'm 6'5 so headroom is an issue.

Christopher Babcock, Sr.

Aug 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/25/97
to David H Dennis

David H Dennis wrote:

> ô ż ô Brandy wrote:
> >
> > olc...@wport.com wrote:
> >
> Brandy wrote:
>
> > Another problem that I found very disconcerting,
> > is that the average asking price is about $25,000 above high Blue Book
> > (BUC Book for boats) value. And equally distressing is that the sellers
> > are getting it.
>
> Hey, if you're a seller, that's good news. :-)
>
> I looked up your ISP, and you appear to be in Nevada. You might want to
> know that the lowest boat prices are in South Florida, and the highest
> in the Pacific Northwest. The BUC prices are just an average of prices
> everywhere, so if you're not in an average cost area, you're bound to be
> paying more.
>
> John Neal in his web pages suggests possibly buying a boat in South
> Florida and having it shipped - but be sure to check condition carefully
> since the tropical environment there wears things out faster than in dry
> areas.

David,

In your message you mention BUC Book for boats. I am a first time boat
buyer looking for a publication/resource like a "blue book" for boats.
Is BUC Book for boats something that will give current values on used
boats? Where can I get this and John Neal's web page location.

Chris Babcock

trad...@rocketmail.com

Aug 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/27/97

I live in Michigan, and while I don't know about Florida prices,
advertised prices locally are much lower than in Conneticut and
Massachusetts. I've thought about buying boats and shipping
them out east to sell. As for condition, Michigan boats are lightly
used, and no salt damage. Many don't go in till May, come out
of the water in October.
Mick.

David H Dennis wrote:
> > I looked up your ISP, and you appear to be in Nevada. You might want to
> > know that the lowest boat prices are in South Florida, and the highest
> > in the Pacific Northwest. The BUC prices are just an average of prices
> > everywhere, so if you're not in an average cost area, you're bound to be
> > paying more.
> >
> > John Neal in his web pages suggests possibly buying a boat in South
> > Florida and having it shipped - but be sure to check condition carefully
> > since the tropical environment there wears things out faster than in dry
> > areas.

Suzy O'Keefe

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

What I know about Islander Freeport 41s is mostly all bad. I've met
several out there cruising... and they mostly stay tied up to a dock. I
did a bit of travel on one and have to say that it was by far the worst
passage of my 20,000+ miles.

The *storage space* you mention is mostly limited to under salon
settees, v-berth, and aft stateroom bunk. There is only 1 small cockpit
lazarette. Most items seem to get thrown up into the v-berth or stacked
around on deck. Much of the aft stateroom storage can't be used because
that is where the emergency tiller attachment point <and steering
position> is. How they expect anyone to be able to drive from down
there is a mystery to me! Yes, they have a walk in engine room and
folks mount a lot of other equipment in there since it is so roomy, but
it gets really hot... not good for most of the other equipment. The
center cockpit places the wheel right over the engine room and causes
the cable steering mechanism to make several radical turns to find it's
way back to the rudder. That cable seems to have a tendency to eat the
turning blocks and eventually chafe clean through. That steering is
also apparently very noisy to those sleeping there.

The salon/ galley area is so large & cavernous that there is nothing to
hold on to as the boat wallows. The best modification I've seen to
solve this problem is the removal of the large upright reefer and the
addition of a counter height partition between galley & salon. The
galley side becomes counter space & narrow storage and the salon side is
great for a bookshelf.

If cruising is your aim, try something less *nautical* looking and
better suited to living aboard away from the dock like maybe a Sceptre
41 or a Pearson 424 or even the Morgan 38 for that matter. Several
boats in the 36 to 40 range are good options. I spent several years
aboard an Islander 37 <kit built and very different from any of the
Freeports> and loved it.

Good Luck and let me know what you decide upon.
Suzy <su...@twocats.com>

Paul Kamen

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

su...@twocats.com writes:

>...If cruising is your aim, try something less *nautical*
>looking...

Very well put.

I see a lot of relatively inexperienced cruisers go for the boats that
remind them of the ship models they built in their youth.

Sailing a museum piece might be worthy goal in itself, but many owners
"nautical looking" boats tend to be very confused about the interractions
between form, function, history, material science, and naval architecture.

IMHO, of course...
--
fish...@netcom.com
http://www.well.com/~pk/fishmeal.html

-"Call me Fishmeal"-

Thomas Webb

Aug 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/31/97

Perhaps, but cruising is a passionate thing. If getting to Tonga is
your goal then a 747 will get you there faster, safer drier and richer.
If you are attracted to the romance of sail then you should pick a boat
that makes you feel romantic. IMHO, of course.

-tom.

rmbo...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2020, 3:48:08 PM1/5/20
For information about the Islander Freeport 41 from owners, you can go to:

https://groups.io/g/IslanderFreeport41

Several of these vessels have circumnavigated the globe, some still are, and others are being prepared by the owners for the journey. As one owner, I bought mine in part because of the 6ft 10inch headroom in the main salon, large sleeping quarters, interior storage, and love of ketches.

*** I realize this original post is over 20 years old. It comes up high on google searches for Islander Freeport and thought it best to direct those looking at these boat to visit the IslanderFreeport41 Owners' site. The site is private but interested parties may join, and be respectful. Tons of photos of projects, etc.