Boats in films - Truman show.

Justin C

Oct 24, 2009, 5:00:30 PM10/24/09
Does anyone know what the little boat is that uses to sail out of the
show? It's very pretty. Reminds me a bit of a Stonehorse, but it's got
side-decks that go all the way aft (and for'd - unlike the Stonehorse).

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Keith Nuttle

Oct 25, 2009, 9:07:27 AM10/25/09
Justin C wrote:
> Does anyone know what the little boat is that uses to sail out of the
> show? It's very pretty. Reminds me a bit of a Stonehorse, but it's got
> side-decks that go all the way aft (and for'd - unlike the Stonehorse).
>
> Justin.

The following URL says the boat in the Truman Show was a 25" Friendship
Sloop. The Friendship Slope was the type of boat Joe Richards wrote
about in his book "Princess New York". The original boats were built in
the 1890's. If you have not read the book it is one of the greatest
books about boats ever written (My Opinion)

I believe this answers your question.

http://www.fss.org/2005yearbook.pd

There are two entries for the Truman Show.

135 HATSEY 25� Newman(P07)Morris 1973 Demolished while filming The
Truman Show in Hollywood CA

To happy memories aboard your Friendship From Kate & Steve Hughes
Osprey # 138 (As filmed in the movie Truman Show)

mmc

Oct 25, 2009, 10:05:59 AM10/25/09

"Justin C" <justi...@purestblue.com> wrote in message

found a pic but not very good.
www.flickr.com/photos/41008370@N06/3774669871/

Keith Nuttle

Oct 25, 2009, 10:50:49 AM10/25/09
If you are looking for pictures of the Friendship sloops or would like
more information about the boats. Check
http://www.fss.org/

I have always admired the boat, but could never afford one.

Jim

Oct 25, 2009, 10:29:33 PM10/25/09
Justin C wrote:
> Does anyone know what the little boat is that uses to sail out of the
> show? It's very pretty. Reminds me a bit of a Stonehorse, but it's got
> side-decks that go all the way aft (and for'd - unlike the Stonehorse).
>
> Justin.

They made a lousy movie out of an interesting idea. Not everyone can
ruin a good idea as well as they did.

Justin C

Oct 26, 2009, 6:37:05 PM10/26/09
In article <hc1ihm$plp$1...@aioe.org>, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> Justin C wrote:
>> Does anyone know what the little boat is that uses to sail out of the
>> show? It's very pretty. Reminds me a bit of a Stonehorse, but it's got
>> side-decks that go all the way aft (and for'd - unlike the Stonehorse).
>>
>> Justin.
>>

> The following URL says the boat in the Truman Show was a 25" Friendship
> Sloop. The Friendship Slope was the type of boat Joe Richards wrote
> about in his book "Princess New York". The original boats were built in
> the 1890's. If you have not read the book it is one of the greatest
> books about boats ever written (My Opinion)
>

> I believe this answers your question.
>
> http://www.fss.org/2005yearbook.pd
>
> There are two entries for the Truman Show.
>
> 135 HATSEY 25� Newman(P07)Morris 1973 Demolished while filming The
> Truman Show in Hollywood CA
>
> To happy memories aboard your Friendship From Kate & Steve Hughes
> Osprey # 138 (As filmed in the movie Truman Show)

Ah, now I know. I can see why they didn't show many shots from in front
of the boat it's got an ugly clipper bow. The rest of it is gorgeous
though.

Thanks for link.

Bruce In Bangkok

Oct 26, 2009, 7:26:35 PM10/26/09

As a bit of idle information there is a Friendship Sloop anchored in
Chalong Bay, Phuket, Thailand. Built in Singapore and belonging to a
boat builder (who specializes in Warram Cats) who originated in
Liechtenstein.

A boat that originated in Miscongus Bay, Maine, built in Singapore and
owned by a bloke from Liechtenstein. Now that is a well traveled
design :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Keith Nuttle

Oct 26, 2009, 8:18:48 PM10/26/09
Justin C wrote:
> In article <hc1ihm$plp$1...@aioe.org>, Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> Justin C wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what the little boat is that uses to sail out of the
>>> show? It's very pretty. Reminds me a bit of a Stonehorse, but it's got
>>> side-decks that go all the way aft (and for'd - unlike the Stonehorse).
>>>
>>> Justin.
>>>
>> The following URL says the boat in the Truman Show was a 25" Friendship
>> Sloop. The Friendship Slope was the type of boat Joe Richards wrote
>> about in his book "Princess New York". The original boats were built in
>> the 1890's. If you have not read the book it is one of the greatest
>> books about boats ever written (My Opinion)
>>

>> I believe this answers your question.
>>
>> http://www.fss.org/2005yearbook.pd
>>
>> There are two entries for the Truman Show.
>>
>> 135 HATSEY 25� Newman(P07)Morris 1973 Demolished while filming The
>> Truman Show in Hollywood CA
>>
>> To happy memories aboard your Friendship From Kate & Steve Hughes
>> Osprey # 138 (As filmed in the movie Truman Show)
>

> Ah, now I know. I can see why they didn't show many shots from in front
> of the boat it's got an ugly clipper bow. The rest of it is gorgeous
> though.
>
> Thanks for link.
>
> Justin.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. The curve bow (clipper bow) with
the long bowsprit is what I think makes the boat so attractive. It is
like some cars, they look like they are going fast when they are
standing still.

Richard Casady

Oct 28, 2009, 12:02:15 AM10/28/09
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:37:05 +0000, Justin C
<justi...@purestblue.com> wrote:

>Ah, now I know. I can see why they didn't show many shots from in front
>of the boat

The clipper bow looked OK on the Bismarck, not to mention Flying
Cloud and a few others. Too bad they fucked it up.

Casady

mlsto...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2016, 9:46:35 PM7/3/16
It looked to me like a Herresmhoff Eagle----Michael Stocks

mlsto...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2016, 9:51:05 PM7/3/16
My bad with the spelling, that's Herreshoff Eagle

Mark Addison

Aug 2, 2021, 8:57:35 PM8/2/21

Mark Addison

Aug 2, 2021, 8:58:50 PM8/2/21