Seeking info on Zeeland Yawl

Jan Rogers

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

My boyfriend and I have a 37' steel yawl, built in 1956 by a builder and
boatyard named L(uctor) Moerman in Schiedam, Holland. It's a wonderful
sailboat! Mr. Moerman apparently built a few boats for him and his
family. A few more were built and brokered through a company called
Mabaco Yachts in Stamford, CT, who is no longer in business (under that
name anyway).

We are trying to find out as much information/history on these great
sailboats as we can. Does anyone have any information on Mabaco - did
their name change? new owners? is anyone still around who was associated
with them that would remember the Moerman Yachts? There were apparently
19 built and we know of only three others.

Does anyone know anything about the Moerman boat building family from
Holland? Anyone? Anything?

Would love to hear back from anyone with a lead. You can either post as
news or write me personally at j...@assetman.com
Thanks.
Jan

Richard Wedge

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Dear Jan
I have a brass builders plate from the yacht
GALATEA
designer- builder
L. Moerman
Schiedan-Holland
No. 1967 / 23 Type Zeeland
Reg Ton 8,5 (could be 9.5) tons
Lic No. 15A1852
Port of registry Lunenbery, NS (CANADA)

This vessel belonged to a very good friend of mine and she was one of the very same
vessels which yoy are inquiring about.
Both my friend and his wife were killed when they took the propane bottles from the
boat to have them refilled after a month long cruise to the Bras d'Or lakes. The
tanks were in the trunk of the car, and the explosion took place at about 1PM in
front of Cy's Resturant in Moncton N.B The blast blew out the windows of all the
buildings along the street for about a block or so.
The blast was determined to have been caused by overfilled tanks which vented into
the car. When Bill lit a match for his pipe... Bang!!!

GALETEA was subsequently sold to someone in Georgian Bay Ontario, and I presume is
still in that area. She was a beautiful vessel with a fireplace and a stained glass
liquor cabinet, I have sailed on her many times and at that time and now have a
Morgan 34 Yawl.

There is a large photograph of GALETEA on the wall at the Pointe de Chene Yacht
club, which shows her under full sail, with my friends aboard.

If you require any other info or if you find out anything I do not know please
e-mail me at rwe...@peinet.pe.ca

Thanx
Dick Wedge

ejd...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2015, 1:27:00 PM12/15/15
we have a zeelandia 9.2 m from aproxx 1966 if you are interested please let me know.

David L. Martel

Dec 15, 2015, 6:36:32 PM12/15/15
What info are you seeking?

Dave M.

ekf...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2016, 9:50:49 AM8/7/16
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 6:36:32 PM UTC-5, David L. Martel wrote:
> What info are you seeking?
>
> Dave M.

I've recently purchased a 1953 Zeeland 37 which Jan Rogers believes to be the first hull produced. I'm currently restoring her to hopefully hit the water this fall.

Any photos, owners, common issues, common modifications, etc would be tremendously appreciated.

Best,
Eoin

ALTER...@hotmail.com

Jun 15, 2017, 2:13:24 PM6/15/17
currently sailing on a zeeland yawl ... landofm...@aol.com

Adam Siltala

Jun 7, 2021, 5:52:06 AM6/7/21
I am about to pick one up that was restored by the 5th owner. He has all the paper for the boat's pedigree. I know it's been a long time since this post was made but I would love to get ahold of any resources you have found on the builder as well. The owner said it is a 1952 but he may be mistaken as the most prevalent date seems to be 1956 from people posting about the model.

Steve Thompson

Sep 30, 2021, 2:38:54 PM9/30/21

Adam, my name is Steve Thompson and I'm trying to buy a Moerman Zeeland 37 yawl and have done a lot of research on them. Would love to connect and exchange ideas. My email is st...@truecompass.biz. Looking forward to speaking!