Chain locker volume

Glenn Ashmore

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
I once saw a calculator on the web for estimating the volume and height
required under the anchor winch for various combinations of rope and
chain. Now I can't find it.

Anyoene remember where it is? Or know a formula for determining rode
volume and clear fall distances?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.mindspring.com/~gashmore

hkr...@capu.net

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00

Yep:

http://www.anyboat.com/anchor.htm

--
Harry Krause
------------

Think life is too cheap now? Wait til you see how low the price drops if George
W. Bush is elected

Glenn Ashmore

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
That's the one. But it dosn't do everything I thought I remembered. What I need
to figure out is the volume in a pile of 200' of 5/8" 3 strand and 100' of 5/16"
HT.

I am about to deck over the chain locker and thought that I would investigate the
possiblilty of installing a divider for a second rode before turning it into a
sweat box. There is plenty of room for a single rode but I heve a feeling that
dividing the space in half will force the primary rode to pile up to close to the
windlass and jam the chain. The floor of the locker is about 6" above the water
line so that it self drains. That put a limit on the total height.

The secondary rode will be 200' of 5/8 and 20' of 5/16 HT so I am thinking I could
offset the divider proportionalely if they will both fit. .

Craig C.

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Glenn Ashmore <gash...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>That's the one. But it dosn't do everything I thought I remembered. What I need
>to figure out is the volume in a pile of 200' of 5/8" 3 strand and 100' of 5/16"
>HT.

Can't you calculate the exact volume the 5/8" occupies when laid out,
and the volume of the chain as though it were a cylinder laid out, and
then apply a multiplier to get an approximate volume?

Craig C.

Glenn Ashmore

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Yes it is that randomness factor to allow for the jumble that I am lookig for. It
is probably a lot bigger number for rope than it is for chain.

"Craig C." wrote:

Evan Gatehouse & Diane Selkirk

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00

Glenn Ashmore <gash...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I once saw a calculator on the web for estimating the volume and height
> required under the anchor winch for various combinations of rope and
> chain. Now I can't find it.
>
> Anyoene remember where it is? Or know a formula for determining rode
> volume and clear fall distances?

I'd suggest about 12" as an absolute minimum for distance below the windlass
to the top of the pile. More is better of course. Still, after a bumpy
passage, expect to have to send somebody below to free the chain from the
pile, if you've been hard on the wind for awhile.

By the way, if you've bought the chain already, why not put it in and see?

(If you haven't bought the chain, check the Yellow Pages in a local big city
under "Chain". You'll save about 40% from West Marine retail prices, more
if you buy a 1/2 drum or maybe even a 1/4 drum.)

--
Evan Gatehouse
s/v Ceilydh

Jim Manzari

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
Skeen's has a formula for calculating the volume of a self-stowing chain
locker...

Vol. in cu. ft. = 0.85 * Fathoms of chain * Chain size in inches^2

According to this source 40 Fathoms of 7/16" needs 6.5 cubic feet.

I'm curious where your chain locker will be located.

Jim Manzari

Glenn Ashmore

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00

Evan Gatehouse & Diane Selkirk wrote:

> By the way, if you've bought the chain already, why not put it in and see?

That seems to be the best solution to most of my detail design problems. You
just about have to buy the part to figure out how much room it needs and how you
need to run the attachments. I already have a storage cabinet full of pumps,
fittings and other equipment that I had to buy way ahead of time just to figure
out where they would fit. Oh, Well, I guess I can find a place for a bin full
of chain and rope.<g>

> (If you haven't bought the chain, check the Yellow Pages in a local big city
> under "Chain". You'll save about 40% from West Marine retail prices, more
> if you buy a 1/2 drum or maybe even a 1/4 drum.)

I thought that too but hot dipped HT is not something that the industrial supply
houses around here normally carry.

Glenn Ashmore

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00

Jim Manzari wrote:

The chain locker starts about 3' back from the bow. That is why I am going
with rope/chain rather than all chain. I am a bit hesitant about just
having a 20' chain leader on the rode so I compromized at 100'. I figure
that 100' of chain will give me a fair cantenary and still keep the rope off
the bottom.

DRP

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

> I thought that too but hot dipped HT is not something that the industrial supply
> houses around here normally carry.
>
> --
> Glenn Ashmore

Hi Glenn,

My experience with rope, extension
cords, and welding leads is give one
half a chance and they'll tie themselves
into a hundred untieable knots. You
sure you want all that rope curling
itself around in that little hole?

By the way, thanks for asking this
question. I was looking at the bow of
my someday to be boat wondering if that
chain was going to fit in that hole. I
had no idea there was a formula, now I
know.

Thanks again,

Donald

--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You
can sneak a peek if you wish by clicking

'USA, Home of the best
politicians money can buy'

Glenn Ashmore

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00

DRP wrote:

> My experience with rope, extension
> cords, and welding leads is give one
> half a chance and they'll tie themselves
> into a hundred untieable knots. You
> sure you want all that rope curling
> itself around in that little hole?

I have helped deliver a number of different boats with rope/chain and some how never
had a problem with tangled rode. Strange as I too can turn a hank of 1/4" line into a
Grodian knot within 10 seconds of removing the plastic bag.<g>

OTOH, I have sailed on a couple of boats with all chain that someone had to sit in the
chain locker hatch to kick over the pile every 30' or the winch would jam. Both were
poor design and not the fault of the chain. That is a real PITA that I want to avoid
at all cost.

Max Lynn

Jul 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/8/00
There are a lot of variables. Depends on how big the seas are and how far
forward the chain locker is . Also depends on the weight of the chain.
I've spent hours untangling rodes on some boats, and on others, never have
to worry. If you always have trouble, it's probably a good idea to have
someone flake the chain/rode as it comes into the chain locker. Your wife
will always enjoy that chore(G).

"Glenn Ashmore" <gash...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Rufus Laggren

Jul 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/9/00
Steve Dashew's sailing almanac (forget the title) has a few pages on
this exact subject. I don't recall the specifics unfortuneately, and
the has book walked. :( I do remember that the desired "fall" was
rather larger than I had expected - somewhere around 3' or more, I
think. And a tall narrow space is better than a short squat space
insofar as possible. Maybe you can steal a read at West Marine.

Rufus

Dave Cannell

Jul 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/10/00
From Skene's Elements of Yacht Design - page 323 (8th edition)

Chain Locker Volume for self-stowing chain

Vol in cu ft = ((Fathoms of chain X (Chain size in inches)squared) divided
by 2 times 1.7

The example he uses is for 40 fathoms of 7/16" chain. It ends up
requiring 6.5 cu ft.

I agree with Rufus that the "fall" should be rather large to prevent it
piling up under the windlass and jamming.

Unfortunately my Hiscock books appear to be amoung the missing 8-(. I'm
sure the old man of the sea would have had an answer in one of his books.

Let us know if you find a definitive answer 8-)

Dave Cannell