Re: Unwelcome visitor at my front door

Wilson

May 17, 2021, 6:09:23 PM5/17/21
On 5/17/2021 5:23 PM, super70s wrote:
> http://web.blomand.net/~dennmac/snake.html
>
> Anybody have a guess what kind of snake this is? Solid dark grey in
> color. Picture isn't too clear since I took it from behind the glass
> storm door.
>
> The last place on my property I expected to encounter a snake since he
> had to climb 6 rows of brick stairs to get to the top of the porch, or
> maybe shimmy up a gutter.
>
> At least it isn't a copperhead which I've come across a few times in
> past years.
>
> I finally scared him away with a leaf blower (the wind did the job since
> of course snakes are deaf
A little hard to tell in the picture, but I'm going with Rat or Corn snake.
Not poisonous and probably beneficial. Don't know where you are because that
could make a lot of difference, but most vipers have a triangular head.

jmcquown

May 17, 2021, 7:43:17 PM5/17/21
It is hard to tell from the photo but I agree it looks like what you're
describing, Wilson. Rat, corn or what I just call a common black snake
here in Southern SC. They aren't venomous. They can get quite long and
of course they can climb steps. They can even climb trees.

Example: Bringing this back to birds, some years ago there was a mated
pair of cardinals nesting in the pyracantha "tree" growing next to my
garage. I could see the tree through the large dining room picture window.

One day I heard a huge commotion. Looked out and the cardinals were
going crazy, diving at something. There was a black snake/corn/rat
snake climbing up the pyracatha to where they had a newborn in the nest.

Those birds managed to scare it off the first time. But the snake was
persistent. It came back. This time nothing they could do would stop
it. I witnessed the snake come back down with the baby, head first in
it's mouth, no doubt neck snapped and already dead. The snake went
underneath the cement foundation of my house. It was quite distressing
to see. But that's nature.

The parents were extremely distraught. The poor birds kept pip-pipping,
calling to each other, flying a short distance away, coming back to the
next. After about three hours they abandoned the nest.

All this to say, of course snakes can climb. :) It will likely be
nesting somewhere near those brick steps, too. Cool and dark.

Jill

jmcquown

May 17, 2021, 7:46:36 PM5/17/21
On 5/17/2021 7:20 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <0111785d-3165-d077...@nearyou.com>,
> Thanks, I didn't think it was poisonous. I'm in Tennessee, at the foot
> of a mountain.

Don't be surprised if it hasn't found a nice cool place to nest under or
near those brick steps. Sometimes they do have to come out and sun
themselves to get warm and those bricks provide both.

Jill

Leon Fisk

May 18, 2021, 8:47:31 AM5/18/21
On Mon, 17 May 2021 18:20:14 -0500
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>In article <0111785d-3165-d077...@nearyou.com>,
> Wilson <now...@nearyou.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/2021 5:23 PM, super70s wrote:
> [...]
>> A little hard to tell in the picture, but I'm going with Rat or Corn snake.
>> Not poisonous and probably beneficial. Don't know where you are because that
>> could make a lot of difference, but most vipers have a triangular head.
>
>Thanks, I didn't think it was poisonous. I'm in Tennessee, at the foot
>of a mountain.

Some info on your local snakes here:

http://tennsnakes.org

I'm happy to see snakes around the place. They mostly eat stuff that
causes me woe...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Wilson

May 18, 2021, 2:09:15 PM5/18/21
On 5/18/2021 3:46 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <vfDoI.340486$ST2.1...@fx47.iad>,
> I often see small lizards hanging out on those steps in the summer, I
> don't know if snakes will eat lizards, kind of like cannibalism? lol
They're both reptiles, but we, and many things we eat, are mammals. So maybe
not quite cannibalism. ;)