Need Bird ID Help: black bird with a yellow stripe on the wing

KIMOSABE

May 29, 2009, 9:49:43 AM5/29/09

I need help with a bird ident. Had a new one at the feeder today in
NJ. It's a black bird with a yellow stripe on the wing. Larger than
a Finch, but smaller than a Robin.

The yellow looks like a single long feather that would be the leading
edge of the wing in flight.

Very black bird. Single line of yellow.

rossr...@forteinc.com

May 29, 2009, 10:01:47 AM5/29/09

Red-winged Blackbird.
We have many of them nesting around here and quite often the scarlet
portion of the epaulet is hidden and only the yellow strip shows.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
43� 17' 26.75" North
80� 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Martin Jensen

May 29, 2009, 10:32:31 AM5/29/09

Adding my voice, Ross is correct!

Martin Jensen
Virginia Piedmont
38.8N
77.6W

Larry Sheldon

May 29, 2009, 10:44:58 AM5/29/09

I don't disagree (that would be terribly presumptive of me), but what I
find mildly interesting is the occurrences of RW Blackbirds at feeders
this year.

We have seen them in the neighborhood ever since we came here, but this
year is the first to see them on out property, much less at our feeders.

And we still see one with the Grackles sometimes.

Is there an oddity here, or just a sampling error?

And I supposed to blame Bush, Global Warming, or what?

--
Requiescas in pace o email Two identifying characteristics
of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml

Steve.IA

May 29, 2009, 2:51:35 PM5/29/09
Larry Sheldon <lfsh...@gmail.com> wrote in news:78aancF1l17fjU1
@mid.individual.net:

> I don't disagree (that would be terribly presumptive of me), but what I
> find mildly interesting is the occurrences of RW Blackbirds at feeders
> this year.

We have an abundance or RWBB around, and for the last 3 years we've had 1
male coming to the BOSS feeder. Not sure how many are coming, but only see
1 at a time and always male, never female.

They seem to fit in with the regulars and not be too pushy

> We have seen them in the neighborhood ever since we came here, but this
> year is the first to see them on out property, much less at our feeders.
>
> And we still see one with the Grackles sometimes.
>
> Is there an oddity here, or just a sampling error?
>
> And I supposed to blame Bush, Global Warming, or what?

Blame or credit?

Steve
South Iowa
41� N

Larry Sheldon

May 29, 2009, 3:31:09 PM5/29/09
Steve.IA wrote:
> Larry Sheldon <lfsh...@gmail.com> wrote in news:78aancF1l17fjU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> I don't disagree (that would be terribly presumptive of me), but what I
>> find mildly interesting is the occurrences of RW Blackbirds at feeders
>> this year.
>
> We have an abundance or RWBB around, and for the last 3 years we've had 1
> male coming to the BOSS feeder. Not sure how many are coming, but only see
> 1 at a time and always male, never female.
>
> They seem to fit in with the regulars and not be too pushy

When the one (I assume it is the same bird--hard to tell, but never more
than one) is here it fits right in--several cases of it being here quite
a while before I realize it is not a Grackle. It works in the middle o
the pack, while the Cowbirds (males only, near as I can tell--see
Mystery Bird) work the edges.

>> We have seen them in the neighborhood ever since we came here, but this

>> year is the first to see them on our property, much less at our feeders.

>> And we still see one with the Grackles sometimes.
>>
>> Is there an oddity here, or just a sampling error?
>>
>> And I supposed to blame Bush, Global Warming, or what?
>
> Blame or credit?

When I am being serious, I would credit Bush for all but some financial
and economic matters. I am never serious about "global warming"
although I get very serious about the insanity, expense, and loss of
freedoms in connection with attempts to prevent it.

If you are still reading and are not interested in my views on this
matter, stop reading now.

But I have sort of painted myself into a corner, and I feel a need to do
something about it.

In the first and last this is or should be a matter of science, and
science toes not actually delve into beliefs. So don't ask me if I
believe in global warming.

The evidence seems to support a contention (that I make) that the Earth
has, by definition, been warming since the "bottom" of the last ice age.

It will continue to warm (Or did continue to warm) until we "turn (or
"turned) the corner" to head back down to the next ice age. The
ambiguity here is due to the fact that there has not been much warming
in the last ten years or so, but it is way too early to be making any
pronouncements on the matter.

Carbon dioxide seems to have little to do with the matter (as you would
expect from an understanding of what is known about the matter). The
saturation of carbon dioxide has continued to rise at a near linear rate
through the last ten years while the temperature has not. (Don't bother
pointing out the arguments that the temperature is actually rising lest
you trigger a dissertation on the various ploys being used to "correct"
the graphs to match the beliefs.)

Warm is not bad. Warm is good, cold is bad.

Historically, warm has been associated with plenty, progress, and
wellbeing. Cold has been associated with pestilence, disease, and famine.

And I will say in what is probably a belief, but one that can be
demonstrated pretty readily, that most of the things that the believers
say we should be doing are in fact aspects of the war on brown people,
and the drive to subject us all to government rule of every minute part
of our lives.

As Glenn Reynolds ( think it was) said, when Al Gore and others start
acting like they think there is an emergency by getting rid of their
huge houses, huge airplanes, and huge opulent house boats, then and only
then will I think there might be an emergency.

Larry Sheldon

May 29, 2009, 7:35:37 PM5/29/09
Larry Sheldon wrote:

>>> And I supposed to blame Bush, Global Warming, or what?
>>
>> Blame or credit?
>
> When I am being serious, I would credit Bush for all but some financial
> and economic matters. I am never serious about "global warming"
> although I get very serious about the insanity, expense, and loss of
> freedoms in connection with attempts to prevent it.

Left a loose end that bothers me. For the financial and economic
matters, I would use the word "blame".

In other news--not sign of the Mystery Bird today -- well maybe one but
I wasn't quick enough to gather any data.

Spent the middle of the day at the bank (hand waggle), vampire shop (not
my favorite place, especially since they were made to take down all
their cute critter pictures, and lunch with wife at Red Lobster catching
up on Anniversary, Birthday, and Mother's Day obligations.

That was a definite high point, but it seems to me there is something
wrong with that picture (I am not a seafood fan, to put it bluntly.)

But she was traveling on the days those observations should have
occurred[1]--Pensacola, Florida, and Chesapeake Bay.

So there we were, about as far from an ocean as you can get without
getting closer to another one, eating seafood.

[1] Larry has a tradition he sometimes refers-to as "Hell Week" -- a
seven-day period that in most years starts or ends with Mother's Day and
which contains Anniversary, Wife's and Oldest Daughter's Birthdays and
..... oh dear .... I better check the calendar, I think I have forgotten
something.

D2T...@aol.com

Feb 10, 2013, 8:04:32 PM2/10/13
On Friday, May 29, 2009 9:49:43 AM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
> I need help with a bird ident. Had a new one at the feeder today in NJ. It's a black bird with a yellow stripe on the wing. Larger than a Finch, but smaller than a Robin.The yellow looks like a single long feather that would be the leading edge of the wing in flight.Very black bird. Single line of yellow.

D2T...@aol.com

Feb 10, 2013, 8:09:31 PM2/10/13
On Friday, May 29, 2009 9:49:43 AM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
> I need help with a bird ident. Had a new one at the feeder today in NJ. It's a black bird with a yellow stripe on the wing. Larger than a Finch, but smaller than a Robin.The yellow looks like a single long feather that would be the leading edge of the wing in flight.Very black bird. Single line of yellow.

I am not a birder, but do enjoy watching the many birds at our feeder. We are located just below Baltimore and have seen the black birds (2 at a time) below our feeder on the ground today. When they take flight, the yellow becomes much larger and easier to see. There is NO red to it. Their size is smaller than a grackle or standard black bird. I would appreciate any information available on them. Thanks in advance

Martin Jensen

Feb 15, 2013, 9:19:22 AM2/15/13

<D2T...@aol.com> wrote in message
---------

In all probability, it is a Red-Winged Blackbird, which often conceals the red
epaulet and shows only the yellow feathers, especially in the off-breeding
season.

Martin Jensen
Northern Virginia Piedmont at Bull Run
38.8N
77.6W

Larry Sheldon

Apr 15, 2014, 9:06:21 PM4/15/14
On 4/15/2014 7:52 PM, ski...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 29, 2009 9:49:43 AM UTC-4, kimosabe wrote:
> Ambat-
> kimosabe, I agree with you. I saw the same thing here in WV on my house roof.
> It definitly wasn't a RWBB. I have them also, and this one is different.

Redwinged black birds sometimes hide the red--immature males might not
even have it.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Tricolored+Blackbirds&id=F77A56FA7D468930162FFDC5A22043BF09778B18&FORM=IQFRBA

--
Idioten aangeboden. Gratis af te halen.
h/t Dagelijkse Standaard

ski...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2014, 8:52:01 PM4/15/14

cheesbro...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2018, 1:54:34 PM6/3/18
I have the black bird yellow strip flying with crow. The two come to feed here as a team. The crow very large, gets the food and flies to the peak of the barn and drops food foe both to share. This is done many times a day. Webster NY.

cheesbro...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2018, 1:59:50 PM6/3/18
When i see them they are on my back porch 10 feet away thru glass storm door. Amazing.

songbird

Jun 4, 2018, 7:54:35 AM6/4/18
cheesbro...@gmail.com wrote:
> When i see them they are on my back porch 10 feet away thru glass storm door. Amazing.

redwing blackbird? has yellow stripe on wing along
with the red.

songbird

bees...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2019, 6:44:45 PM3/24/19
Black bird with yellow stripe under each wing.

markwi...@gmail.com

May 15, 2019, 7:47:27 PM5/15/19
On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 5:44:45 PM UTC-5, bees...@gmail.com wrote:
> Black bird with yellow stripe under each wing.

American Redstart?

Dusty

May 16, 2019, 7:17:29 PM5/16/19
I'm not sure about the "under" each wing. But their patterns do vary,
so, lacking any other descriptive information, I'd go with American
Redstart too.

Dusty
Arlington, WA

re03...@gmail.com