Another Great Blue Heron

jmcquown

May 1, 2022, 12:32:47 PM5/1/22
This time, I think it's a female because it doesn't have a feathered
plume on its head. I hope they are coming around to eat the snakes.
Snakes eat songbirds. It's only fitting a bigger bird should eat the
snakes. :)

https://i.postimg.cc/B6jkhVs9/heron-may122.jpg

Jill

jmcquown

May 1, 2022, 1:06:03 PM5/1/22
I think I got that backwards. Is it the female which has the feathered
plumeage?

Jill

Leon Fisk

May 1, 2022, 1:22:39 PM5/1/22
Hi Jill,

Seems they are very much alike and hard to distinguish between
male/female:

"They exhibit a minor degree of sexual dimorphism; with males slightly
larger than females, but otherwise the sexes are not easily outwardly
distinguishable..."

Nice picture. Looks like it's trying to blend in, as in "you don't see
me here" :)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

jmcquown

May 1, 2022, 2:41:10 PM5/1/22
Yeah, it kind of looked like it was trying to hide but they are so darn
big they can't really do it. :)

Jill

jmcquown

May 5, 2022, 5:19:41 PM5/5/22
On 5/5/2022 4:33 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <7vAbK.669768$7F2.2...@fx12.iad>,
> Is there a river bank close to you, that's the only place I've spotted
> these around here.

I live on an island in coastal South Carolina. :) My neighborhood is in
the middle of it, though, not near the water.

Jill