Touring / camping book of other web sties wanted

Brock Bailey

Feb 16, 2004, 5:25:01 PM2/16/04
I'am looking for books or web sites on moutain bike touring / camping and
also equipment lists as well or anything which will help me...Thanks for
your help...

Brock R Bailey
Victoria BC

(Home of the Galloping Goose railway bike trail)

brba...@shaw.ca

MSA

Feb 16, 2004, 5:38:26 PM2/16/04
In article <1rbYb.535336$ts4.248098@pd7tw3no>, brba...@shaw.ca says...

> I'am looking for books or web sites on moutain bike touring / camping and
> also equipment lists as well or anything which will help me...Thanks for
> your help...

No problem...

http://www.google.com for the web sites
http://www.amazon.com for the books

Be sure to come back and let us know of any good ones you find.

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling

Brian Huntley

Feb 17, 2004, 9:35:16 AM2/17/04
"Brock Bailey" <brba...@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<1rbYb.535336$ts4.248098@pd7tw3no>...

> I'am looking for books or web sites on moutain bike touring / camping and
> also equipment lists as well or anything which will help me...Thanks for
> your help...

Try http://www.crazyguyonabike.com - lots of info there, including
equipment lists and, often, lists of what worked and what didn't.

g.daniels

Feb 17, 2004, 1:19:17 PM2/17/04
the WORLDCAT a search engine covering the american library catalogs
has multi listings for related subjects for example montaineering, a
good choice as it is extreme and serious yielding...
there is a bike camp book or two.
the Sierra Club Guides are excellent. search Sierra Club into the
subject box of the WORLDCAT and zap. Order thru the interlibrary loan
service.
Sierra has an excellent out of print tourng book.
and there are privately published memoirs but i haven't the directions
to find them.

gt7...@yahoo.com

Feb 17, 2004, 1:22:11 PM2/17/04
"Brock Bailey" <brba...@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<1rbYb.535336$ts4.248098@pd7tw3no>...

try this site.

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/

best guy

charles ramsey

Feb 17, 2004, 6:43:27 PM2/17/04
Bikelist.org has a good touring site as well as a good search engine.

g.daniels

Feb 18, 2004, 12:27:22 PM2/18/04
forgot: two of rodale's books, one a compilation of odd bits of
information and two the road cyclists book are good reads for touring.
also marty, whose last name i duhduhduh but the book is Against the
Wind (??)is an interesting story aboput a cyclists journalist on a
dirt bike taking the trans canadaRR to vancouver then the ferry up to
Alaska throwing rocks at the bears then cycling back to New England.
Check out Canadian camping hiking trekking books at WORLDCAT for a
somewhat different ambience from down here.
Touring is dangerous. Obviously. like touch typing or flatout repeat
countersteerbrakecornering the synapses form and then deliver.
a lot synaptic cohesion and growth is aided by the equipment which can
be found looking through Rodales Backpacker magazine that is AAA.
and some not for example check out various bag sites try peter white
cycles and jannd. but customizing the packs with individual slots for
each piece required to say deliver breakfast,decamp and ride or fix a
flat before the hombres arrive to ask just what the hell you think
your doing here saves so much time on the road that maybe yawl get
there before dark ina good mood.
itsa art.
now how yawl gonna dry the too heavy tent??

g.daniels

Feb 27, 2004, 10:51:12 AM2/27/04
another book! Thomas'Book of Knots

g.daniels

Mar 5, 2004, 11:53:04 AM3/5/04
Having difficulty finding thomas' knot book, maybe wrong title?
encyclopedia
of? my library copy was lifted.
a knot to appreciate for a water jug to frame: loop three times around
jug handle then start double hitch around the last loop. Avoids
crushing the jug handle. Take a turn on the frame before tying a
hitch. Thomas sez: "always take a turn if yawl can"
woolmort has a nice supply of rope. 1/4" works fine. Hold the rear of
the sand while changin tubes. burnmeltstompwipe the ends on JB's camp
stove.