saddle for road bike

moon

Sep 14, 2003, 9:16:28 AM9/14/03
have tried selle italia ocktavia and gimme nitric gel

both my butt bone

please recommend a comfy road saddle

David L. Johnson

Sep 14, 2003, 9:22:06 PM9/14/03
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:16:28 +0000, moon wrote:

> have tried selle italia ocktavia and gimme nitric gel
>
> both my butt bone

? I gather that you mean you have some discomfort from these saddles.

> please recommend a comfy road saddle

First thing to recommend is that you get properly fit. It could be as
simple as the nose pointing up a bit too much, or the saddle being too far
back (so that you would tend to scoot forward) that would make you
uncomfortable.

We all have our favorite saddle, but one reason there are so many choices
is that what is good for one butt will not be good for another.

Try a saddle and a shop that has a return policy. My last two (Trico
split rail -- terrible, and Terry Fly -- wonderful (I now have 4 -- more
saddles than bikes)) both came with a return policy. I sent back the
yucky one, but the Terry has been great. For me.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is
_`\(,_ | not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
(_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

smokey

Sep 14, 2003, 11:50:18 PM9/14/03
"moon" <mo...@nospamforme.com> wrote in message news:<0fKcnck0dMR...@comcast.com>...

> have tried selle italia ocktavia and gimme nitric gel
>
> both my butt bone
>
> please recommend a comfy road saddle

everyone has different preferences, but after two selle italias, a
selle san marco, and a koobi (second choice), i love my brooks
champion flyer. i often don't even bother with special bike shorts
unless i'll be riding for more than two hours. bought mine at
www.wallbike.com and can't say enough good things about them. bill
even offers a six month return policy if you don't like the saddle.
naturally, this excludes things like damage to the leather or seat
rails. get a can of proofhide with it and put a SMALL amount on it
when the leather appears dry and also during break-in. a dab the size
of a pencil eraser is plenty, just rub it in well, let set for a bit,
then wipe off the excess. yes, it's heavy, but after 50 miles your
butt will thank you!
smokey

Jeff Starr

Sep 15, 2003, 10:59:00 AM9/15/03
"moon" <mo...@nospamforme.com> wrote in message news:<0fKcnck0dMR...@comcast.com>...
> have tried selle italia ocktavia and gimme nitric gel
>
> both my butt bone
>
> please recommend a comfy road saddle

Hi, as others have mentioned, saddles are a personal choice. This
year, I tried three, the first being a Terry Dragonfly. I put it on
the bike, the bike on the trainer, and in two minutes I knew it wasn't
the saddle for me. The guy who bought it from me, owned two already.
The second was a Terry Liberator Y Gel. This one seemed comfy, at
first. I consistently got sore after 12 miles. I then went to a Selle
Italia Prolink and for me, it's a winner. Even the Prolink can be
miserable if not adjusted properly, for me.
I have two suggestions for you, one is to try a few different
adjustments, before ruling out your current saddles. That's assuming
that you haven't done that.
Now the more important and much more helpful suggestion, read
Sheldon's article on saddles. See link:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
Life is Good!
Jeff

comcast news

Sep 17, 2003, 11:46:20 PM9/17/03
At Breakaway Bikes on 18th and Sansom (www.breakawaybikes.com) you can Demo
at least a dozen of our saddles before commiting to purchasing any of them.

Terry,
Sell San Marco
FiziK
Selle ITalia
WTB

"Jeff Starr" <jst...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

Rick Warner

Sep 18, 2003, 5:34:08 PM9/18/03
"moon" <mo...@nospamforme.com> wrote in message news:<0fKcnck0dMR...@comcast.com>...
> have tried selle italia ocktavia and gimme nitric gel
>
> both my butt bone
>
> please recommend a comfy road saddle

As others have mentioned, fit is the first priority. Only then
should you look for a saddle. And the answer, even for just you,
is what works best will depend on a number of factors. One is
your position on the bike. You might need different saddles if your
handlebars are high (equal or above saddle) than if the bars are
low. The more upright posture with higher bars forces a pelvic
rotation, and this will call for a wider saddle. Personally I love
the Terry Fly; I have 3 of them. But on a new touring bike with
more upright posture the Fly is an ass hatchet. I swapped for a
wider platform saddle and am now much happier :-)

- rick

dave

Oct 2, 2003, 6:55:23 AM10/2/03
im the same id really like some info on a comfy saddle that will do
for long periods of time can anyone help

Jeff Starr

Oct 2, 2003, 10:11:57 AM10/2/03
dlcan...@yahoo.co.uk (dave) wrote in message news:<e83faf29.03100...@posting.google.com>...

> im the same id really like some info on a comfy saddle that will do
> for long periods of time can anyone help

Hi, did you read the previous six posts? If not, start there. There is
no, one perfect saddle. If I was going to buy a new saddle, I'd try a
Brooks, from the place mentioned in the previous posts. With a return
policy, all you lose is time and shipping costs.
Life is Good!
Jeff