Good steel framebuilders in Seattle area?

Kovie

Oct 21, 2003, 4:22:51 AM10/21/03
I'm building a new Ti bike to replace my 22 year old Trek, which has a
way-bent fork and a frame that's got some rust spots and is possibly
slightly bent as well. I look forward to riding my new bike but I'd like to
eventually restore my Trek. Could someone recommend a good steel
framebuilder in the Seattle, WA area to take a look at my frame and tell me
what shape it's in, what if anything could be done to bring it back into
shape? It doesn't have to be in the downtown area. Anywhere as far south as
Portland, OR or north to the Canadian border would be ok. Thanks!

--
Kovie
ko...@earthlink.netizen

meicheng

Oct 21, 2003, 12:49:00 PM10/21/03
Contact Glenn Erickson. His Tour Vacation website
(http://www.ecycletours.com/) doesn't speak to his frames but they are
beautiful. I live in Seattle, see many of his bikes, and always want one
(but cannot afford).

David

"Kovie" <ko...@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message

bfd

Oct 21, 2003, 1:07:16 PM10/21/03
"Kovie" <ko...@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message news:<v16lb.512450$2x.2...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>...

You're in luck, up where you are there are tons of excellent builders, for example:

Bill Davidson
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Davidson_Bill.htm
Glen Erikson
http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_erick.htm
John Slawta/Landshark (Portland, OR)
http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/
and Bill Stevenson
http://www.henryjames.com/bfolder/stevusa.html

Chalo

Oct 21, 2003, 9:55:18 PM10/21/03
"Kovie" <ko...@earthlink.netizen> wrote:

> Could someone recommend a good steel
> framebuilder in the Seattle, WA area to take a look at my frame and tell me
> what shape it's in, what if anything could be done to bring it back into
> shape?

Val Kleitz of The Bikesmith is a remarkable all-round bike craftsman .
He does tidy and capable brazing and frame repair, and he would be a
good person to help you with your bike. He has done topnotch
braze-ons and frame prep & alignment for me at very reasonable prices.

The Bikesmith is on 45th street in Wallingford.
http://www.thebikesmith.com/

Chalo Colina

Eagle Jackson

Oct 21, 2003, 11:36:36 PM10/21/03
> You're in luck, up where you are there are tons of excellent builders, for example:
>
> Bill Davidson
> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Davidson_Bill.htm
> Glen Erikson
> http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_erick.htm
> John Slawta/Landshark (Portland, OR)
> http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/
> and Bill Stevenson
> http://www.henryjames.com/bfolder/stevusa.html

Also,

Ti Cycles (www.ticycles.com) (they build both steel and Ti)
Rodriguez Cycles (www.rodcycle.com) (R+E Cycles)

Kovie

Oct 21, 2003, 11:45:33 PM10/21/03
Thanks. I'm in Greenwood which is a short hop from there. It's nice to know
that I have lots of options around here.

--
Kovie
ko...@earthlink.netizen

"Chalo" <chump...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Eric Larsson

Oct 22, 2003, 9:24:37 AM10/22/03
I second Davidson.

Bill Davidson

Nov 4, 2003, 6:18:02 AM11/4/03
bfd wrote:
> You're in luck, up where you are there are tons of excellent builders, for example:
>
> Bill Davidson
> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Davidson_Bill.htm

The real site is here:
http://www.davidsonbicycles.com/html/home.shtml

One of these days I'm going to have to break down and get one of these.
I missed the chance to get a low cost one back in the 80's when they
were trying to sell commodity frames from bike shops. Now they're
custom only but they do both steel and titanium.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

Support the Electronic Frontier Foundation
http://www.eff.org
Petition Congress to stop the RIAA lawsuits
http://www.eff.org/share/petition/

Kovie

Nov 4, 2003, 3:38:14 PM11/4/03
I'm confused. If you're Bill Davidson, why would you want to get one of your
own bikes? Am I missing something here?

--
Kovie
ko...@earthlink.netizen

"Bill Davidson" <bil...@cox.nospam.net> wrote in message

Mark and Kim Smith

Nov 5, 2003, 1:23:28 AM11/5/03
I know someone who is selling a frame and fork. Probably for a decent deal as he collects
bikes from the 20's and 30's and is mainly interested in those and not the Davidson
bike. Interested?? Mark