Report from the Modern Era

jbeattie

Sep 12, 2021, 8:19:20 PM9/12/21
Another great road ride on the Creo e-gravel bike with my son, and much of my ride was actually meat-powered. 30lbs -- 2lbs heavier than Franks OE ST800, and it has a motor and a battery. 40 miles and 3200 feet of climbing around the Wasatch front on a gimpy leg, and I only got out of "level one" and went to "level two" for about twenty seconds [old guy pride].

Level one gives progressive assistance up to about 75-80 watts, and the higher levels (two and three) give progressively more assistance up to 250 watts. The system cuts out at 28mp -- which is an interesting feeling. I was sprinting after my son and kicked it up to level two and went nowhere because I was at 28mph. The problem is my son was at >32mph and >800 watts (he's a big boy). It's like those dreams where you are trying to run, but you can't.

With zero assist, the bike is a boat anchor but not terrible. It's a 1X 11sp GRX group with a 46t chainring and a giant cassette, but I don't know the low or the high. I'd prefer 2X. >38mm gravel tires which is what accounts for the slowness on the road, IMO. Nice descending bike. I'd change the bars which are those splayed touring models and a little small in diameter. I prefer current OS anatomical bend/shallow drop bars.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom Kunich

Sep 13, 2021, 11:05:35 AM9/13/21
Jay, I thought we talked about healing before reeling?

jbeattie

Sep 13, 2021, 8:53:25 PM9/13/21
I'll let you know if I'm punished by my ortho, but the PT lady says its O.K. to ride, so long as I still do my prescribed exercises, which I haven't (not all of them) -- so I'll get dinged for that. The walks have killed me more than the rides. My son has this belief that when we come to visit, we have to be engaged in some sort of activity at all times. I need a vacation from my vacation.

-- Jay Beattie.