Facing Problem in Finding Solutions.

Jennifer Lisa

Jan 25, 2023, 5:16:53 AM1/25/23

Tom Kunich

Jan 27, 2023, 1:42:22 PM1/27/23
On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 2:16:53 AM UTC-8, Jennifer Lisa wrote:
> Click Here : https://t.co/SVCfqnZYaL
This appears to be a criminal enterprise site since it is blocked by my three protection programs

AMuzi

Jan 27, 2023, 1:52:28 PM1/27/23
Fair enough; after all, you replied to a spambot.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 27, 2023, 4:53:52 PM1/27/23
Ummm... Multiple active anti-virus programs are a really bad idea.
They usually step on each other and create stability problems. For
that reason, every (and I do mean every) anti-virus program looks for
previously installed anti-virus programs and refuses to install until
the others are removed. You probably don't have 3 anti-virus programs
running and are once again playing the bad liar.

What are the names of the 3 anti-virus programs?

Note that <https://t.co> is the domain used by Twitter for link
shrinking:
<https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/url-shortener>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jan 28, 2023, 6:38:59 AM1/28/23
On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 4:53:52 PM UTC-5, je...@cruzio.com wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 10:42:20 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 2:16:53 AM UTC-8, Jennifer Lisa wrote:
> >> Click Here : https://t.co/SVCfqnZYaL
> >This appears to be a criminal enterprise site since it is blocked by my three protection programs
> Ummm... Multiple active anti-virus programs are a really bad idea.
> They usually step on each other and create stability problems. For
> that reason, every (and I do mean every) anti-virus program looks for
> previously installed anti-virus programs and refuses to install until
> the others are removed. You probably don't have 3 anti-virus programs
> running and are once again playing the bad liar.
>
> What are the names of the 3 anti-virus programs?
>
> Note that <https://t.co> is the domain used by Twitter for link
> shrinking:
> <https://help.twitter.com/en/using-twitter/url-shortener>

It's just as likely he's confusing an ad blocker with an anti-virus program.

Tom Kunich

Jan 28, 2023, 10:52:56 AM1/28/23
And John just posted another one elsewhere.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 28, 2023, 12:38:36 PM1/28/23
That's a possibility. Might also be a malware, adware or junkware
scanner. Or perhaps one of the huge computer defense suites.

I'm trying to imagine how a PC would react to having three
notification windows appear simultaneously, all announcing that a
shortened Twitter link is a criminal enterprise. Elon would probably
not like that. Maybe special versions made for dealing with Twitter
requiring the use of their link shortener in order to post links to
Twitter.

Three random experts all say that more than one anti-virus program is
a bad idea:
<https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/multiple-antivirus-products>
<https://www.komando.com/security-privacy/why-two-antivirus-programs-is-bad/823153/>
<https://www.av-comparatives.org/why-you-should-never-have-multiple-antivirus-programs-on-your-computer/>

What I find fascinating is that Tom would lie about having three
active anti-virus programs, when one would have been sufficient?
Perhaps he suspects his credibility in RBT is lacking and he feels the
need for additional reinforcement? Or, maybe it's just his habit to
lie whenever possible? Whatever his reason, he apparently believes in
sharing the link to the criminal enterprise with RBT readers, so that
they can also enjoy the benefits of a virus/malware/adware/junkware
infected computer. It's odd that he rarely shares his sources of
amazing facts, yet gladly shares an indirect link to a criminal
enterprise.

sms

Jan 28, 2023, 7:20:21 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 9:38 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip>

> What I find fascinating is that Tom would lie about having three
> active anti-virus programs, when one would have been sufficient?

Actually, zero is sufficient, Windows Defender is built into Windows and
is kept updated by Microsoft. I suspect that very few users still
install Avast, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, etc., at least the paid versions.
Symantec has moved on and is now trying to sell an unnecessary
identity theft protection service.

Ad-blocking is a different story entirely.

John B.

Jan 28, 2023, 7:58:21 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:20:16 -0800, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:
But think of the advantages of having "adverts" displayed. Why, one of
my news programs tells me, right there at the bottom of the page that,
"
Work From Thailand In Foreign Companies
This Desktop App Helps You Write More Effectively
Trouble falling asleep? Try this homemade sleeping powder!
"
And
"How to clean your toilet with vinegar"

What could be better (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Jan 28, 2023, 11:15:37 PM1/28/23
On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 7:20:21 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
> On 1/28/2023 9:38 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > What I find fascinating is that Tom would lie about having three
> > active anti-virus programs, when one would have been sufficient?
> Actually, zero is sufficient, Windows Defender is built into Windows and
> is kept updated by Microsoft. I suspect that very few users still
> install Avast, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, etc., at least the paid versions.

One member of our extended family is a computer security professional,
whose company's responsibilities include protection of infrastructure
in many cities. His advice is similar.

(Yes, I know some posters here will pretend he doesn't exist. Having no
friends seems to distort people's minds.)

- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 1:09:46 AM1/29/23
I get asked quite often if Windoze Defender is "good enough". My
standard answer is that it's mediocre, but has one advantage that
makes it worthwhile. Microsoft has made using and maintaining
Defender a "no brain required" exercise, where the user need do next
to nothing and it will still work most of the time. All the others
require various levels of user intervention in order to use and
maintain their protection. MS has concentrated on making Defender
quite usable. Getting users to actually use an anti-virus program has
been (for me) a difficult task. Nobody installs, sets up and uses
proper virus and malware protection until AFTER their machine has been
trashed. Same with doing backups. Nobody does regular image backups
until AFTER they have lost data.

More than you probably want to know about Windoze Defender as compared
to other virus programs and suites:
"Microsoft Defender Antivirus Review"
<https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/microsoft-windows-defender-security-center>

For virus and malware protection:
"The current aggregate score for Microsoft Defender is 8.8, down from
9.1 at my last review."

For Smartscreen evil website detection:
"Out of 100 malware-hosting URLs, SmartScreen Filter blocked access to
23% at the URL level and prevented download of the malware payload for
another 76%."
In other words, 23% + 76% = 99% effective

For phishing detection:
"As I expected, Microsoft’s results don’t look great. It detected just
78% of the verified phishing pages, 10 percentage points behind
Firefox and 12 points behind Chrome. This score is better than the 68%
Microsoft earned when last tested, but it’s still in the bottom half."

Catrike Rider

Jan 29, 2023, 4:53:02 AM1/29/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:09:37 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
I worked with computer systems before there were any "home" computers
and I bought a DOS computer as soon as they were available and had at
least one "home" computer ever since. I can't remember when I got my
first anti-virus, but I've never had any virus problems.

I've always backed up, first on floppy disks and then on through
various tech advances up my current 3 trig disk USB cabled off my
router. I have several different automatic backups going around
midnight every night.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 7:15:47 AM1/29/23
And with all this experience and expertise you're still under some delusion that I have a magical ability to edit usenet messages after they've been posted. Kind of like tommy bragging about he was such a high level programmer, then getting flummoxed when he was shown 20 lines of java script some high-schooler wrote for his home-made bike computer project.

> I've always backed up, first on floppy disks and then on through
> various tech advances up my current 3 trig disk USB cabled off my
> router. I have several different automatic backups going around
> midnight every night.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume you meant a 3 TB. If not please explain a 3 trig disk. I've never heard of a 'trig' disk.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 11:58:55 AM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 04:53:00 -0500, Catrike Rider
<sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>I worked with computer systems before there were any "home" computers
>and I bought a DOS computer as soon as they were available and had at
>least one "home" computer ever since. I can't remember when I got my
>first anti-virus, but I've never had any virus problems.

My first computers were CP/M-80 computers. In 1981, I celebrated a
new job (and higher pay) by purchasing the original IBM PC 5150 with a
fabulous 64KBytes of RAM and a single 160KByte floppy disk drive. I
was determined not to be left behind and guessed that some knowledge
of PC's would eventually be useful. I was correct.

I've had virus and malware problems in the past on my machines. About
half were due to me not paying attention at late hours and clicking on
something in email which I should have known was a trap. Other times,
it was browsing the porno sites. I had a few viruses delivered in
software updates. Of course, testing the effectiveness of some new or
improved virus/malware scanner sometimes went awry. I think of these
as potholes on the dirt road to enlightenment.

Recovering a trashed computer was always a problem. Early backup
programs had severe limitations and were horribly unreliable. 1/4
inch magnetic tape and DAT backups were a disaster. I'll spare you my
rant on the topic. Eventually, hard disk drives became large enough
and cheap enough to be used for backing up. Backup programs started
offering image backups, which copied everything (and I do mean
everything) from the original drive and were much much much faster
than file by file backups. After a restore failure, I spent quite a
bit of time and effort testing various image backup offerings and
settled on Macrium Reflect. Users who regularly backup their
computers haven't needed to do any restores. Except for cloning
drives, hard disk failures, and testing backup/restore procedures, I
haven't had to restore any virus/malware trashed machines since about
2007.

>I've always backed up, first on floppy disks and then on through
>various tech advances up my current 3 trig disk USB cabled off my
>router. I have several different automatic backups going around
>midnight every night.

I've had performance problems trying to backup to a USB 3.0 hard disk
plugged into a router. A typical USB 3.0 drive will show 3Gbytes/sec
read from the computer and 0.8GBytes/sec write to the USB drive when
plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the computah. However, when
plugged into a typical router, the write speeds are much slower. I
forgot how much slower. I should try it again and see if there has
been any progress (yet another project).

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 12:17:55 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:58:48 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>I've had performance problems trying to backup to a USB 3.0 hard disk
>plugged into a router. A typical USB 3.0 drive will show 3Gbytes/sec
>read from the computer and 0.8GBytes/sec write to the USB drive when
>plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the computah. However, when
>plugged into a typical router, the write speeds are much slower. I
>forgot how much slower. I should try it again and see if there has
>been any progress (yet another project).

Oops. I forgot to include a link to a Macrium Reflect backup report:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Macrium-Reflect-Log-2020-11-27.jpg>
Also notice that it backed up 91.39 GBytes in 12 minutes (7.6 GB/min).

That's old. Here'a more recent report:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Macrium-Reflect-Log-2023-01-24.jpg>
3.2 GBytes/sec read and 0.342 GBytes/sec write.
160.26 GBytes backed up in 45 minutes (3.5 GB/min).

It's the same computer and backup drive. I wonder what changed that
would make it slow down to about half speed? (Yet another project).

Tom Kunich

Jan 29, 2023, 12:18:17 PM1/29/23
I have the Microsoft Defender Antivirus, Bit Defender and VPN. As usual, Liebermann is talking out of his ass.

Catrike Rider

Jan 29, 2023, 12:33:18 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:58:48 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
Oh yes, it's almost intolerably slow and I do it with WIFI, too.
That's why I only run backups at night and break them up into smaller
chunks. I use the router because I have three devices in different
locations to back up. I generally have several hours of backup running
each night. I use Syncback, which gives me lots of options.

Tom Kunich

Jan 29, 2023, 12:47:42 PM1/29/23
I used tubes to design my first analog computer - it was only a calculator but then I was only 14.

I designed and built my first digital computers before anything but that kit Apple was on the market. I wrote a real time operating system for it until CP/M came along. You had to give up instant response to interrupts but it worked OK. Then DOS computers cam out and you didn't have to use individual chips and pegboard and wire everything together yourself. So ease of use took over. After criminal activity began on the Internet I tried all of the protection programs. I have settled on Bit Defender as a means of locking the computer against virus, phishing etc. And it protects my bank account absolutely. I have had NO identity theft though my computer since installing it. Though the CVS App was invaded and when I tried to install it, they got my information and attempted to use it. But as usual, Wells Fargo has an entire staff of IT that covers them and all of the attempted identity theft was turned down and they called and had me cancel that card and get a new one. I am so used to using credit card for all of my purchases that the three days without one was painful.

Check out Liebermann's math. He got an F for understanding. This is why he never was a real ingineer. Maybe he should ask the King of Electronic Engineers - Flunky.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 12:49:21 PM1/29/23
"How to install Bitdefender alongside other security solutions"
<https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2228/>
"During the setup, Bitdefender identifies other security products that
were previously installed. To ensure these different security
solutions will not cause difficulties, you will be advised to
uninstall them."

"Run two anti-virus programs simultaneously?"
<https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/run-two-anti-virus-programs-simultaneously/20564f71-80da-47df-bcb7-301b05efe8c8>
"It's not possible to run two antivirus programs simultaneously due to
some reasons. Some users are doing it for they believe that it will
make their system more protected. Running 2 antivirus on a single
computer might lead to data/file corruption, each antivirus program’s
will attempt to install parallel interceptors which might cause the
entire computer system to crash."

Which VPN? Some VPN vendors do offer a virus detector that works
inside the VPN. I've never actually tried using a virus scanner
inside a VPN tunnel.

Why do you need a full time VPN while reading Google Groups? A VPN
can really slow down your internet speeds in both directions.

Catrike Rider

Jan 29, 2023, 1:04:47 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:17:48 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:58:48 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I've had performance problems trying to backup to a USB 3.0 hard disk
>>plugged into a router. A typical USB 3.0 drive will show 3Gbytes/sec
>>read from the computer and 0.8GBytes/sec write to the USB drive when
>>plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the computah. However, when
>>plugged into a typical router, the write speeds are much slower. I
>>forgot how much slower. I should try it again and see if there has
>>been any progress (yet another project).
>
>Oops. I forgot to include a link to a Macrium Reflect backup report:
><http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Macrium-Reflect-Log-2020-11-27.jpg>
>Also notice that it backed up 91.39 GBytes in 12 minutes (7.6 GB/min).
>
>That's old. Here'a more recent report:
><http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/Macrium-Reflect-Log-2023-01-24.jpg>
>3.2 GBytes/sec read and 0.342 GBytes/sec write.
>160.26 GBytes backed up in 45 minutes (3.5 GB/min).
>
>It's the same computer and backup drive. I wonder what changed that
>would make it slow down to about half speed? (Yet another project).

Even at 44 minutes it's massively faster than my system. When I got
the new hard drive it took over a day to take all my music files from
the old BU drive and onto the new one, and I had the old drive plugged
straight into a computer.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 1:55:23 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 09:47:40 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:09:37 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
>> wrote:

>I used tubes to design my first analog computer - it was only a calculator but then I was only 14.

At 14, I was in the 9th grade in high school. The electric shop
teacher introduced us to ham radio and taught us how to solder
properly. My first computer was an IBM 1620 at Santa Monica City
College when I was 18 or 19 years old. They didn't let me touch it,
but I did quite a bit of programming (on punched cards). I learned to
use a slide rule at age 14.

Ummm... this has what to do with running 3 virus scanners
simultaneously?

>I designed and built my first digital computers before anything but that kit Apple was on the market.

The Apple 1 was the only Apple that was provided in kit form.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_I>
It was released April 11, 1976 when you were 32 years old. What did
you do in the 18 years between your analog computer design and when I
assume you built an Apple 1 computer kit?

>I wrote a real time operating system for it until CP/M came along. You had to give up instant response to interrupts but it worked OK.

As I understand it, real time means that the CPU will respond to all
interrupts within a designated time. If you remove "instant response"
from the OS, it's no long an RTC.

<https://www.suse.com/suse-defines/definition/real-time/>
"Real time is a guaranteed level of computer responsiveness within a
specified time constraint, usually milliseconds or microseconds,
between an event and its response deadline."

>Then DOS computers cam out and you didn't have to use individual chips and pegboard and wire everything together yourself.

The first PCDOS computah was the IBM PC 5150:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer>
It was released in Aug, 1981. Prior to that, a large variety of 8 bit
computers were available. Altair, IMSAI, SOL, North Star, etc. Some
of these were kits. None of them required stitch wiring or wire wrap
to built as they all included a rather large printed circuit board.
Most ran CP/M but there were are other operating systems available.
Sorry, but I don't recall the OS names.

>So ease of use took over.

Yep. Initially, the industry decided it was necessary to teach users
how to program computers. When that failed, they started producing
easy to use computer. Apple was probably the first to recognize
usability and packaging as important features.

>After criminal activity began on the Internet I tried all of the protection programs. I have settled on Bit Defender as a means of locking the computer against virus, phishing etc. And it protects my bank account absolutely. I have had NO identity theft though my computer since installing it. Though the CVS App was invaded and when I tried to install it, they got my information and attempted to use it. But as usual, Wells Fargo has an entire staff of IT that covers them and all of the attempted identity theft was turned down and they called and had me cancel that card and get a new one. I am so used to
>using credit card for all of my purchases that the three days without one was painful.

Ok, so much for your computer background. For what it's worth, I also
use Wells Fargo for my banking and also had my credit card info
misused (my fault). However, because I live in a PO Box, and Wells
Fargo used an expedited delivery service to mail my replacement card,
I had to wait about 8 days for the replacement. As you note, the
delay was painful.

>Check out Liebermann's math.

>> >For Smartscreen evil website detection:
>> >"Out of 100 malware-hosting URLs, SmartScreen Filter blocked access to
>> >23% at the URL level and prevented download of the malware payload for
>> >another 76%."
>> >In other words, 23% + 76% = 99% effective

The last line is the only math that I added to my previous posting.
What's wrong with my math? The 23% was what Smartscreen found by
checking the URL against a database of known phishing sites. The 76%
was the web sites that were not in the database, but were trying to
deliver or install a virus or malware payload. Add them together and
you get 99% which is what Smartscreen found *AND* blocked.

BTW, I still think you're lying about using 3 simultaneous anti-virus
programs. I've fixed customers computers who tried to do that. It
can be done, but the resulting performance loss is horrible and the
computer is prone to crashing. VPN is a different story, and really
doesn't offer much additional security if the tunnel endpoints can be
compromised.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 2:06:33 PM1/29/23
That's why I use an image backup program. File by file backups are
painfully slow. I've also experienced all day backups. The main
difference is that image backups do not need to move the disk drive
head from the directory and FAT (file allocation table) to the data on
the drive for every file backed up. It also doesn't need to deal with
a fragmented filesystem because an image backup simply copies
sequential sectors that are in use. It reads the directory and FAT
once at the beginning of the backup and again at the end but not
during the backup.

Free advice:
1. Switch from hard disks to SSD where practical.
2. Buy a USB 3.0 or 3.1 backup hard disk drive for each computer and
backup each machine individually. This should eliminate the slowdown
caused by the slow wi-fi connection speed.
3. Switch to a program that does image backups (Macrium Reflect).

Bug me via email (address in signature) if you want to discuss this
further.

Catrike Rider

Jan 29, 2023, 2:39:31 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 11:06:26 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
I'll give some thought to that, but I'm not unhappy with the current
system. I know my wife would not be happy having to hook her laptop
to a hard drive. She moves around a lot. bed, craft room, kitchen
table, recliner...

but it would work for me.