who builds the lowest-cost frameset w/ S&S couplers?

walter manning

Jan 8, 2001, 2:30:56 PM1/8/01
i'm looking @ getting a road-frame built w/ S&S couplers. i dont need
anything fancy, just a solid frame (lugged or TIGed doesnt matter) with
1 color paint. simple.

i just called waterford and their gunnar road frame w/ profile carbon
fork goes for $1250 w/ S&S couplers. OUCH!

like i said, i'm looking for nothing fancy. any suggestions would be
appreciated!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Suzy Jackson

Jan 8, 2001, 3:50:36 PM1/8/01

Perhaps your best option would be to buy a standard frame, and then have
a framebuilder fit the couplers to it, replacing the top and down tubes
as well if necessary.

Cheers,

Suzy

Suzy Jackson http://www.suzyj.net su...@suzyj.net

rjk3

Jan 8, 2001, 4:05:40 PM1/8/01
In article <93d4hg$3mv$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

http://www.bilenky.com/special.html

Complete bike: Reynolds 631, Shimano 105, includes the $300 hardshell
travel case, for $1795. Might be a little less with Reynolds 520.
There are cheaper options, but not road bikes.

I think it would work great for a track bike. A friend had noe and
said it was a little dicey getting the cables adjusted after
reassembling the bike, and not kinking them when packing.

Phil Brown

Jan 8, 2001, 5:25:23 PM1/8/01
The lowest cost S&S equipped bike is your own bike with the couplers inserted.
Phil Brown

Jon Isaacs

Jan 8, 2001, 5:41:45 PM1/8/01
>The lowest cost S&S equipped bike is your own bike with the couplers
>inserted.
>Phil Brown

So what does it cost to have a set installed including the couplers???

jon isaacs

A Muzi

Jan 8, 2001, 5:49:09 PM1/8/01
There are plenty of farme shops who can S+S your frame (including me) so
you could go frame shopping and then get S+S ($450) and paint ($200+), at
which point the Gunnar looks like a fair price, no?

walter manning wrote:

--
Yellow Jersey, Ltd
http://www.yellowjersey.org

alex wetmore

Jan 8, 2001, 6:46:48 PM1/8/01
"Jon Isaacs" <joni...@aol.com> wrote in message

About $500 with partial repaint, depending on the builder. The cheapest
service I've seen was in the $300 range (from Bilenky --
http://www.bilenky.com/retrpric.html). I don't think that includes
painting, but they don't charge much for a complete repaint.

I bought a used bike with S&S couplers because this was cheaper than
having my existing frame coupled, or buying a new bike with couplers.
There aren't many S&S coupled bikes on the market though.

alex

Matt Frankland

Jan 9, 2001, 2:13:46 AM1/9/01
Why are they so expensive anyway? I mean cost prohibitive...

Jon Isaacs

Jan 9, 2001, 9:32:53 AM1/9/01
>About $500 with partial repaint, depending on the builder. The cheapest
>service I've seen was in the $300 range (from Bilenky --
>http://www.bilenky.com/retrpric.html).

Oh well, I don't travel enough to spend that kind of money. Cheaper just to
pick up a used bike and sell it or leave it at the destination.

Jon Isaacs

James Yuhn

Jan 9, 2001, 9:47:06 AM1/9/01
I own a couple of Co-Motions with couplers. They're wonderful bikes.
Last I checked they were priced a bit below what Waterford quoted
you: about $1150 for the frameset, including a WoundUp carbon
fork.

alex wetmore

Jan 9, 2001, 10:30:05 AM1/9/01
"Matt Frankland" <blit...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Why are they so expensive anyway? I mean cost prohibitive...

They aren't a mass produced item and are generally installed by hand
through a professional framebuilder. The pricing doesn't seem out of
line to me, especially if you have seen the final result.

Don't forget that if you buy an S&S coupled bike that you'll need to buy
a case of some sort for it too. This generally adds another $200 or so.
S&S isn't an inexpensive system.

If you want a lower cost travel bike that performs well I'd keep an eye
on the used offerings from Bike Friday. They often have good deals,
their travel cases are cheaper, and the bikes are a bit easier to pack.
I slightly prefer the ride of my full size S&S coupled bike, but Bike
Friday offerings to handle really nicely.
http://www.bikefriday.com/usedbikelist99.cfm.

alex

A Muzi

Jan 9, 2001, 1:29:21 PM1/9/01
> walter manning wrote:
> >
> > i'm looking @ getting a road-frame built w/ S&S couplers. i dont need
> > anything fancy, just a solid frame (lugged or TIGed doesnt matter) with
> > 1 color paint. simple.
> >
> > i just called waterford and their gunnar road frame w/ profile carbon
> > fork goes for $1250 w/ S&S couplers. OUCH!
> >
> > like i said, i'm looking for nothing fancy. any suggestions would be
> > appreciated!

> Suzy Jackson wrote:
> Perhaps your best option would be to buy a standard frame, and then have
> a framebuilder fit the couplers to it, replacing the top and down tubes
> as well if necessary.

An interesting problem with S+S is shaping oval tubes like Bianchi down tubes
into round to fit the coupler within the butted zone of the tube. It's
quicker with a round steel tube!

tubus_nl, import & framebouw

Jan 9, 2001, 1:59:11 PM1/9/01
alex wetmore wrote:

> "Matt Frankland" <blit...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Why are they so expensive anyway? I mean cost prohibitive...
>
> They aren't a mass produced item and are generally installed by hand
> through a professional framebuilder. The pricing doesn't seem out of
> line to me, especially if you have seen the final result.

A single S&S (you need two!) cost about as much as the tubeset and all
the braze-ons.

--
Marten Gerritsen
WWW: HTTP://tubus.nl

Kwan Low

Jan 9, 2001, 2:11:54 PM1/9/01
Here's my suggestion you can reduce cost on your S&S project:

-shop around for a inexpensive/close-out frame steel frame. I believe you
still can't get some decent steel frame for around ~$300 for new. Some UK
mail order offer some really inexpensive 853 frame (deeside cycle and few
others). Cramerotti also offer some closeout frame from last year with good
price. Or get used frame from this group. I know Lou Deeter have a few frame
around and his price and service is second to none.

-S&S retrofit: I got mine from Bilenky for $325 (listed on their web
anyway). Received mine yesterday. They done a great job.

-travel case: S&S cases are expensive. I end up getting a suitcase type
lugguage from flea market last weekend for $40. measure around 27x33x10. a
bit over the standard airline size retriction, but it's a regular looking
lugguage, we'll see if the airline give me trouble.

So, let add up all the cost: $300+$325+$40 = $665. You see it's not too
bad!!
BTW, I'll travelling withmy S&S bike for the 1st time next week to
Malaysia.

Kwan

Charlie Laidlaw

Jan 9, 2001, 3:51:15 PM1/9/01
On 8 Jan 2001 23:46:48 GMT, "alex wetmore" <al...@phred.org> wrote:

um ... what are s&s couplers?

thanks,
charlie

Los Banditos Yankees

Jan 10, 2001, 3:44:54 AM1/10/01
"Charlie Laidlaw" <gwa...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> um ... what are s&s couplers?

http://www.sandsmachine.com

Stainless or titanium couplers built into the top- and down- tubes to
allow the bike to be split for transportation.

Los Banditos Yankees at mp3.com

Alex Rodriguez

Jan 10, 2001, 11:00:47 AM1/10/01
In article <3A5B5F7F...@tubus.nl>, tu...@tubus.nl says...

>A single S&S (you need two!) cost about as much as the tubeset and all
>the braze-ons.

No wonder they charge so much to get them retrofitted.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\<,_
(_)/ (_)

TBGibb

Jan 10, 2001, 8:38:54 PM1/10/01
In article <6dum5t47at136ia02...@4ax.com>, Charlie Laidlaw
<gwa...@optusnet.com.au> writes:

>um ... what are s&s couplers?

Specially made couplers that allow one to break their bicycle into two halves
for the indignity of motor powered transportation. They are well spoken of.

Check http://www.sandsmachine.com/ for official information.

Tom Gibb <TBG...@aol.com>