Merlin

Tom Kunich

Jul 14, 2021, 5:44:41 PM7/14/21
Well, my Merlin came in yesterday and I have everything I need to build it up except for a couple of shims. No sense in building it up until those come in. Interesting thing is that the tires I have are a Michelin and a Vittoria - both good tires. So I will be able to test mileage on these things.

One of the odd things about the Vittoria is that it has longitudinal tread lines but those lines don't wear off - the rubber under them does. I don't know how they achieve that, but you have to let all of the air out of the tires once in awhile so that you can pinch them and see how much wear you have left.

I would like to be able to get a Chorus 10 speed Ergoshifter, but they must work so well, no one is turning loose of them. Well, I have a good set of Ultrashifters and will use those. The Centaur level doesn't shift down (faster) more than one gear at a time so that is sort of a handicap.

The Merlin has an aluminum steering posed Reynolds carbon fork and yet the frame and fork weighs in at the same weight as the Douglas Vector with which I built a 16.5 lb bike. And the Merlin is a 24" bike. I have to admit I do like riding the proper sized bikes rather than laying on the top tube of a 58 cm which were the XL's of the carbon bike era.

The Douglas Ti was lighter than my Airborne despite having a heavy Selle Bassano Vuelta saddle on it that erases all of the banging about I experience on the ultralight saddles.

Tom Kunich

Jul 16, 2021, 3:23:21 PM7/16/21
The Douglas aluminum frame I have weighs in at 4.8 lbs. The Merlin despite being an inch larger, and having a heavy Reynolds fork with the aluminum steering tube and a havy Vuelta saddle on it weighs in right now only 1 lb heavier. The Douglas with the heavier Campy 10 speed group and Aero wheels weighed 16.5 lbs so I wonder what this Merlin is going to weigh once done. Especially if I can find a Profile Designs carbon steerer fork new and unused.