Is it lights out tomorrow?

Mark Cleary

Feb 21, 2024, 4:27:00 PMFeb 21
Well, it seems possible this all ends tomorrow? I have eternal sept but use google now. Will have to see.
Deacon mark

Catrike Ryder

Feb 21, 2024, 4:44:05 PMFeb 21
I always thought using Google groups was ridiculously clumsy. It was
only useful for documenting posts.

Joerg

Feb 21, 2024, 4:47:54 PMFeb 21
On 2/21/24 1:26 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> Well, it seems possible this all ends tomorrow?

Nah. You of all people would know, it comes like a thief in the night (1
Thessalonians 5:2)

:-)

> ... I have eternal sept but use google now. Will have to see.

I would never use Google for that. Ever. A very long time ago I signed
up with these guys:

http://news.individual.net/index.php

Never looked back. It's cheap, 10 Euros/year and to avoid the yearly
hassle I pay five years ahead. That way I have someone to talk to if
something fritzes up. But it never does.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

AMuzi

Feb 21, 2024, 6:56:02 PMFeb 21
+1 to any not-Gurgle product!
--
Andrew Muzi
a...@yellowjersey.org

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 21, 2024, 11:53:52 PMFeb 21
Usenet is not a product, which is one reason why Google bailing out.

Individual.net only retains articles for a minimum of 2.7 years:
<https://news.individual.net/hierarchies.php>
Google Groups goes back to 1981 (43 years).

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Roger Merriman

Feb 22, 2024, 5:48:44 AMFeb 22
Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:55:58 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>>> Nah. You of all people would know, it comes like a thief in
>>> the night (1 Thessalonians 5:2)
>>>
>>> :-)

>>> I would never use Google for that. Ever. A very long time
>>> ago I signed up with these guys:
>>>
>>> http://news.individual.net/index.php
>>>
>>> Never looked back. It's cheap, 10 Euros/year and to avoid
>>> the yearly hassle I pay five years ahead. That way I have
>>> someone to talk to if something fritzes up. But it never does.
>>>

>> +1 to any not-Gurgle product!
>
> Usenet is not a product, which is one reason why Google bailing out.
>
> Individual.net only retains articles for a minimum of 2.7 years:
> <https://news.individual.net/hierarchies.php>
> Google Groups goes back to 1981 (43 years).

15 here with easy news mind you fair bit more expensive and equally have
never wanted to look back that far.

Though data and history loss is never a good thing.

Roger Merriman

Catrike Ryder

Feb 22, 2024, 6:03:34 AMFeb 22
On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:48:39 GMT, Roger Merriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
wrote:
Google said you could still check back on their retained data, but
really, are old Usenet posts worth saving?

Roger Merriman

Feb 22, 2024, 6:31:29 AMFeb 22
Is some cycling history plus others that might well be?

Roger Merriman

AMuzi

Feb 22, 2024, 8:47:22 AMFeb 22
Well, mine aren't. Electronic ephemera...

Catrike Ryder

Feb 22, 2024, 9:17:37 AMFeb 22
Me too.

Tom Kunich

Feb 22, 2024, 11:09:52 AMFeb 22
Liebermann's entire life is stalking others so he loves the idea of being able to look back 43 years and then misquoting people to get something to say.

Tim R

Feb 22, 2024, 11:43:45 AMFeb 22
There were some long threads back in the rn/nn days that have some nostalgia value. Do people survive lightning strikes in cars, vs do cars get struck less often because of the shape? I think that one was more than 10,000 posts.