Inflation of Tires

Tom Kunich

May 29, 2023, 12:52:10 PM5/29/23
That sounds like an innocent enough title. But who is presently happy with the price of tires? From CHEAP outlets decent tires are $90 or more apiece for a bicycle tire. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Lou Holtman

May 29, 2023, 1:25:36 PM5/29/23
On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 6:52:10 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
> That sounds like an innocent enough title. But who is presently happy with the price of tires? From CHEAP outlets decent tires are $90 or more apiece for a bicycle tire. This is absolutely ridiculous.

That is a stiff price. On this side of the pond it is about half of that price, around 40 euros.

Lou

Roger Meriman

May 29, 2023, 1:44:03 PM5/29/23
My MTB tires have always been owch! As are my Gravel tires to be honest,
both high end things £60/70ish.

To be honest I don’t mind that they are high performance stuff, and they
last for fair while.

In terms of you have to be kidding more stuff like Cassette’s see SRAM
Eagle cassettes (and other 1by cassettes) which are few hundred pounds.

Roger Merriman

Tom Kunich

May 29, 2023, 2:50:29 PM5/29/23
Right now BikeTiresDirect has a sale on Continental GP5000 clinchers for $49.99 but for the all season tubeless, $108.25 and the TT version for $119.95.

But they have the Michelin Pro4 for $44 and that is my tire of choice anyway.

John B.

May 29, 2023, 6:51:17 PM5/29/23
On Mon, 29 May 2023 10:25:34 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
<lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
(:-) In Thailand you can buy 700 size tires for as low as 300 baht,
about US$8.80. Not, of course the supper-dooper brand but certainly
sufficient for an elderly person to creep down the road at slow speeds
with (:-)
In fact, if memory serves, someone that posts here rides cheap Thai
tires as a preference.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 29, 2023, 9:15:47 PM5/29/23
On 5/29/2023 2:50 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 10:44:03 AM UTC-7, Roger Meriman wrote:
>> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But they have the Michelin Pro4 for $44 and that is my tire of choice anyway.

:-) You should tell that to the guy who was claiming decent tires are
$90 or more!

--
- Frank Krygowski

William Crowell

May 29, 2023, 9:27:32 PM5/29/23
Tom, didn't you get the memo on Vittoria Zaffiros?

Roger Meriman

May 30, 2023, 4:13:44 AM5/30/23
you can buy road/MTB/hybrid type tires at around £10 online at least one
online bike store does basic line.

Roger Merriman

Roger Meriman

May 30, 2023, 6:17:39 AM5/30/23
It’s only the very high end stuff, at that price point.

I’m generally more bemused with folks who have very nice bikes and yet
cheap tires, considering how much better nice tires feel and grip.

Roger Merriman

sms

May 30, 2023, 11:58:15 AM5/30/23
That's a lot higher than we pay in the U.S. as well.

Last big tire order I placed, back in 2016, had MSRP of about $58 per
tire which is a bit more than the €40 price you quoted. These prices
were for mid-range, name-brand tires, 28-622/700 x 28C, 25-622/700 x
25C, 35-559/26 x 1.35, 40-559/26 x 1.50, and 42-622/700 x 40C.

I was able to get them for less than MSRP, and less the €40 price that
you stated. I checked the current price on the manufacturer's web site
and the MSRP went up only by less than $2 since I bought them back in
2016! Based on inflation they should have an MSRP of $74 now. The
manufacturer really held the prices steady despite inflation.

I suspect that Tom needs some education about how to purchase tires,
just as he needed education about how to purchase beef.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

sms

May 30, 2023, 12:15:33 PM5/30/23
On 5/30/2023 8:58 AM, sms wrote:

<snip>

The lack of inflation in bicycle tire prices is pretty astounding. But
the reality is, like most consumer goods, the prices can't be increased
beyond what people are willing to pay, even if the underlying costs of
manufacturing and distributing the goods goes up.

Since bicycle tires have large margins the manufacturers have a lot of
wiggle room on prices. Increasing prices to a level where it
significantly reduced sales, sending people to lower cost brands, would
not be in their best interest so they absorb increased costs.

Sir Ridesalot

May 30, 2023, 3:08:14 PM5/30/23
On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 8:27:32 p.m. UTC-5, William Crowell wrote:
> Tom, didn't you get the memo on Vittoria Zaffiros?

I use and love those tires!

Cheers

Mark Cleary

May 30, 2023, 3:18:34 PM5/30/23
I buy Conti GP 5000's with 25 and 28mm. I think they now run about $100-125 a pair. I get about 5-6000 miles on them really no complaints on the price. I spent much more money on things of less value to me.
Deacon Mark

Tom Kunich

May 30, 2023, 3:26:48 PM5/30/23
On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 6:27:32 PM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> Tom, didn't you get the memo on Vittoria Zaffiros?

I used one set of those and spent half the time repairing flats. I do use Vittorio Rubino and they work well. But they cost almost as much as the Corsa's.

Tom Kunich

May 30, 2023, 3:31:36 PM5/30/23
I'm paying $90 apiece for those tires.

pH

May 30, 2023, 4:45:06 PM5/30/23
I, too, am stunned by the price of tires these days. Fortunately I don't go
through a lot of them these days. (or maybe that's too bad....)

But then, I'm also stunned that a 10 cent cup of coffee (yes, I remember
that) now costs $3 or more at my favourite coffee shoppe.

pH

pH

May 30, 2023, 4:46:12 PM5/30/23
On 2023-05-30, Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 5/29/2023 2:50 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>> But they have the Michelin Pro4 for $44 and that is my tire of choice anyway.

Does in come in God's preferred size of 27"?

pH

Roger Meriman

May 30, 2023, 4:52:11 PM5/30/23
Coffee tea i find depends, chains or independent coffee shops do tend to
the pricey side, ie coffee cake and it’s £10 ish.

Proper cafe though ie has builders tea and what not, can get full English
plus tea for that! I like both though perhaps not too often!

Roger Merriman

sms

May 30, 2023, 5:13:22 PM5/30/23
Yes, $50-60 per tire (MSRP) is what I've seen for high-quality tires.
Many bike clubs offer discounts at local shops for parts and
accessories. I.e. Mikes Bikes, where Tom won't go because they were
enforcing the county's face covering ordinance and told him that the law
required that he wear a mask, typically offers 15% off parts and
accessories.

AMuzi

May 30, 2023, 5:25:37 PM5/30/23
On 5/30/2023 3:46 PM, pH wrote:
> On 2023-05-30, Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> But they have the Michelin Pro4 for $44 and that is my tire of choice anyway.
>
> Does in come in God's preferred size of 27"?
>
> pH
>

>> :-) You should tell that to the guy who was claiming decent tires are
>> $90 or more!

No.

Are your 27" rims hook side for folding tires?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WEINRIMS.JPG

Panaracer offers Pasela in 27x1-1/4, 1-1/8 and one inch,
steel bead or kevlar.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

sms

May 30, 2023, 5:33:01 PM5/30/23
Yeah coffee really exemplifies inflation but of course you're paying for
the experience, the lease, the labor, the utilities, the janitorial
services, the insurance, etc..

I do single-pour coffee before the ride using high-quality beans, lately
using Lavazza
<https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/lavazza-espresso-italiano-whole-bean-coffee%2c-medium%2c-2.2-lbs.product.100246100.html>.

Probably costs me about 30¢ for 23 ounces put into a stainless steel
vacuum bottle that fits into a bicycle water bottle holder
<https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800779959369.html>.

Tom Kunich

May 30, 2023, 5:44:22 PM5/30/23
7y00c x 28mm

John B.

May 30, 2023, 6:33:40 PM5/30/23
On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:45:02 -0000 (UTC), pH <wNOS...@gmail.org>
wrote:
But didn't Mr. Muzi tell us some time ago that he paid some of his
people as much as $20 an hour? That is something like $160 a day, and
you quibble about a $3.00 cup of coffee?
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

May 30, 2023, 8:10:07 PM5/30/23
I also began drinking diner coffee at a dime with refills. I
was dating #1 Girl at a popular diner when coffee went up to
20c which caused quite a customer pushback at the time (1973).

Now, two diners serve coffee in my area at $2.95 and $3.15
(neither is better worse or different).

I'm told designer brand coffee can run $7 to $10 no refills.

You may (as I do) think $20 per hour is a lot of money but
you have all the various taxes before payday, rents are
atrocious and people with a car payment, renter's and car
insurance, a walk-around telephone with monthly fees and all
the rest are often not living all that well.

pH

May 30, 2023, 8:31:11 PM5/30/23
On 2023-05-30, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 3:46 PM, pH wrote:

>> Does in come in God's preferred size of 27"?
>>
>> pH
>>

>>> :-) You should tell that to the guy who was claiming decent tires are
>>> $90 or more!
>>>

> No.
>
> Are your 27" rims hook side for folding tires?
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WEINRIMS.JPG

I believe so. Mavic Module 4's

I typically use Continentals and Vittoria Zafiros these days. I've used
Paselas in the past but found the sidewalls too "wobbly"...nerve wracking in
turns.

Michelein used to make them in 27", too.

pH

pH

May 30, 2023, 8:32:23 PM5/30/23
Don't worry, Mr. B. As a card-carrying curmudgeon I'm capable of quibbling
about much less! But I see your point.

pH

John B.

May 30, 2023, 9:05:18 PM5/30/23
On Tue, 30 May 2023 14:44:21 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 1:46:12?PM UTC-7, pH wrote:

>> Does in come in God's preferred size of 27"?
>>
>> pH
>> >
>> >:-) You should tell that to the guy who was claiming decent tires are
>> > $90 or more!
>> >
>7y00c x 28mm

Thailand 700 x 28.... 600 baht, in U.S. currency $17.64 :-)
https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/p/8551728/tires/triban-protect-lightweight-road-bike-tyre-700x28
with 2 year guarantee
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

May 30, 2023, 9:47:18 PM5/30/23
Yup, it's called Inflation and is, generally speaking, due to a glut
of money in the system.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

May 30, 2023, 10:36:12 PM5/30/23
In constant dollars, bulk coffee has gotten slightly cheaper since 1980.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/coffee-prices-by-year-and-adjust-for-inflation/

I wonder how long ago coffee was ten cents per cup. I don't remember
that, but I never drank much coffee.

I think things other than simple inflation probably affect the price of
a retail cup of coffee. On one hand, I can see a diner offering cheap
coffee as a loss leader, to get people to come in and eat. On the other
hand, gourmet coffee didn't used to be common. I think Starbucks
(sometimes nicknamed "Fourbucks") may have started that trend when they
realized there's no limit to the price you can charge for a
well-promoted fashionable item.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

May 31, 2023, 10:45:46 AM5/31/23
John is in his mid-90's and likes to play sane by cutting and pasting things.

funkma...@hotmail.com

May 31, 2023, 4:26:55 PM5/31/23
On Tuesday, May 30, 2023 at 12:15:33 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
> On 5/30/2023 8:58 AM, sms wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> The lack of inflation in bicycle tire prices is pretty astounding.

I see what you did there :)

Rolf Mantel

Jun 7, 2023, 9:52:36 AM6/7/23
For the front tire of my recumbent, I need 35-406 tires. A long search
on Amazon has revealed two available models:

Schwalbe Kojak at €45 for two (original tire)
Schalbe Marathon Plus at €65 for two.

While I dislike the quality of the Kojak (sidewall failure after 1
year,5,000km), I dislike the rolling resistance of the Marathon even
more ;-(

Rolf

Catrike Rider

Jun 7, 2023, 10:13:26 AM6/7/23
On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 15:52:32 +0200, Rolf Mantel <ne...@hartig-mantel.de>
wrote:

>Am 30.05.2023 um 12:17 schrieb Roger Meriman:
>> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> :-) You should tell that to the guy who was claiming decent tires are
>>> $90 or more!
>>>

>> It’s only the very high end stuff, at that price point.
>>
>> I’m generally more bemused with folks who have very nice bikes and yet
>> cheap tires, considering how much better nice tires feel and grip.
>
>For the front tire of my recumbent, I need 35-406 tires. A long search
>on Amazon has revealed two available models:
>
>Schwalbe Kojak at €45 for two (original tire)
>Schalbe Marathon Plus at €65 for two.
>
>While I dislike the quality of the Kojak (sidewall failure after 1
>year,5,000km), I dislike the rolling resistance of the Marathon even
>more ;-(
>
>Rolf

I agree with your assessment of those two tires. I use Marathon Green
Guards HS420, 40-406 on my Catrike's front wheels.

Frank Krygowski

Jun 7, 2023, 11:51:08 AM6/7/23

Catrike Rider

Jun 7, 2023, 12:09:41 PM6/7/23
On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 11:51:04 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 6/7/2023 9:52 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

>>> It’s only the very high end stuff, at that price point.
>>>
>>> I’m generally more bemused with folks who have very nice bikes and yet
>>> cheap tires, considering how much better nice tires feel and grip.
>>
>> For the front tire of my recumbent, I need 35-406 tires.  A long search
>> on Amazon has revealed two available models:
>>
>> Schwalbe Kojak at €45 for two (original tire)
>> Schalbe Marathon Plus at €65 for two.
>>
>> While I dislike the quality of the Kojak (sidewall failure after 1
>> year,5,000km), I dislike the rolling resistance of the Marathon even
>> more ;-(
>
>https://www.modernbike.com/panaracer-pasela-20-x-1.5-wire-bead-tire-black

Those are as thin as the Kojaks

Catrike Rider

Jun 7, 2023, 12:10:12 PM6/7/23

Catrike Rider

Jun 7, 2023, 12:14:46 PM6/7/23
On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:10:08 -0400, Catrike Rider
See the MArathon hs420s green guards

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compare/panaracer-pasela-pt-vs-schwalbe-marathon-2015

Rolf Mantel

Jun 7, 2023, 12:36:35 PM6/7/23
Thanks, that's listed as 37-406 at Amazon, maybe that's why I didn't
find it.

Rolf

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 3:47:58 AM6/8/23
Doesn’t seem much choice at that rim size sadly!

Roger Merriman

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 7:34:00 AM6/8/23
My experience is that while interesting, the rolling resistance doesn’t
tally with my experience both on the MTB ie totally off road, the tests
show the Hans Dampf soft compound as being very slow don’t recommend. Which
it probably is on tarmac say, but on its intended surfaces it feels a fast
rolling tire and reviews as such both by journalists and Jo Public.

Roger Merriman

AMuzi

Jun 8, 2023, 9:02:36 AM6/8/23
On 6/8/2023 2:47 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Rolf Mantel <ne...@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>>> It’s only the very high end stuff, at that price point.
>>>
>>> I’m generally more bemused with folks who have very nice bikes and yet
>>> cheap tires, considering how much better nice tires feel and grip.
>>
>> For the front tire of my recumbent, I need 35-406 tires. A long search
>> on Amazon has revealed two available models:
>>
>> Schwalbe Kojak at €45 for two (original tire)
>> Schalbe Marathon Plus at €65 for two.
>>
>> While I dislike the quality of the Kojak (sidewall failure after 1
>> year,5,000km), I dislike the rolling resistance of the Marathon even
>> more ;-(
>>
>> Rolf
>>
> Doesn’t seem much choice at that rim size sadly!
>
> Roger Merriman

For 406 the popular tire here is Kenda Kwik 100psi in 20x1.5
and 20x1.25. Would any small wheel riders here care to comment?

AMuzi

Jun 8, 2023, 9:05:56 AM6/8/23
On 6/8/2023 6:33 AM, Roger Meriman wrote:
> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:10:08 -0400, Catrike Rider
>> <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compare/panaracer-pasela-pt-vs-schwalbe-kojak-2017
>>
>> See the MArathon hs420s green guards
>>
>> https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compare/panaracer-pasela-pt-vs-schwalbe-marathon-2015
>>

> My experience is that while interesting, the rolling resistance doesn’t
> tally with my experience both on the MTB ie totally off road, the tests
> show the Hans Dampf soft compound as being very slow don’t recommend. Which
> it probably is on tarmac say, but on its intended surfaces it feels a fast
> rolling tire and reviews as such both by journalists and Jo Public.
>
> Roger Merriman

Good observation. Road (or offroad) surface is significant
for tire efficiency, besides rider weight, speed, inflation
pressure, rim width. There is no 'best'.

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 9:56:09 AM6/8/23
Looks Marathon ish ie touring type thing. But lot of smaller tires are on
trade type bikes and so on so something too lightweight isn’t probably
wise!

Roger Merriman

Catrike Rider

Jun 8, 2023, 10:07:04 AM6/8/23
On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 11:33:57 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2023 12:10:08 -0400, Catrike Rider
>> <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compare/panaracer-pasela-pt-vs-schwalbe-kojak-2017
>>
>> See the MArathon hs420s green guards
>>
>> https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compare/panaracer-pasela-pt-vs-schwalbe-marathon-2015
>>

>My experience is that while interesting, the rolling resistance doesn’t
>tally with my experience both on the MTB ie totally off road, the tests
>show the Hans Dampf soft compound as being very slow don’t recommend. Which
>it probably is on tarmac say, but on its intended surfaces it feels a fast
>rolling tire and reviews as such both by journalists and Jo Public.
>
>Roger Merriman

No, the Marathon HS420s Green Guards are definately not for off-road.
I often spin the tire on hard packed dirt just getting to the asphalt.

Frank Krygowski

Jun 8, 2023, 11:35:34 AM6/8/23
On 6/8/2023 9:02 AM, AMuzi wrote:

> For 406 the popular tire here is Kenda Kwik 100psi in 20x1.5 and
> 20x1.25. Would any small wheel riders here care to comment?

Our Bikes Friday have Marathons. They seem heavy and slow, but rugged.

A few years ago I built up a kids bike with Tioga Powerblocks. They seem
like they might be decent, but I don't have riding experience with them.
The kids didn't complain. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 11:50:50 AM6/8/23
I was talking about my MTB tires, as well the drum test needs some caveats.

I’ve used Marathon Green Guards/plus/touring and Schwabe BigApples which
are even less treaded.

In all cases they do okay off road, unsurprisingly the old MTB even with
BigApple simply due to size of tires plus it’s a MTB so you can move body
position plus who I am.

To be honest even the touring which has same general tread shape but larger
does no better in wet or loose ground, it’s not like a MTB or Gravel tire
ie doesn’t dig in, or conform to the terrain or able to clear ie all pack
up with mud almost instantly and you just drift along.

The MTB in particular even though they are all round tires will unpack
fairly quickly, and will in all but the most filthy of conditions retain a
good grip margin.

This said considering the Marathons and similar are touring/commuting types
they do well, the grip levels do drop significantly but not to zero, and
since they have hard rubber compound to last 5/8k and so on the performance
off road is quite good for what they are.

Roger Merriman

Catrike Rider

Jun 8, 2023, 12:37:19 PM6/8/23
On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:35:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 6/8/2023 9:02 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>> >
>> For 406 the popular tire here is Kenda Kwik 100psi in 20x1.5 and
>> 20x1.25. Would any small wheel riders here care to comment?
>
>Our Bikes Friday have Marathons. They seem heavy and slow, but rugged.

Which Marathons? There are several.

AMuzi

Jun 8, 2023, 12:45:13 PM6/8/23
Made by Mitsuboshi (Three Star, Silver Star) at one time but
maybe someone else now.

Catrike Rider

Jun 8, 2023, 12:46:14 PM6/8/23
On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 15:50:47 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
>>> My experience is that while interesting, the rolling resistance doesn?t
>>> tally with my experience both on the MTB ie totally off road, the tests
>>> show the Hans Dampf soft compound as being very slow don?t recommend. Which
>>> it probably is on tarmac say, but on its intended surfaces it feels a fast
>>> rolling tire and reviews as such both by journalists and Jo Public.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> No, the Marathon HS420s Green Guards are definately not for off-road.
>> I often spin the tire on hard packed dirt just getting to the asphalt.
>>
>I was talking about my MTB tires, as well the drum test needs some caveats.
>
>I’ve used Marathon Green Guards/plus/touring and Schwabe BigApples which
>are even less treaded.
>
>In all cases they do okay off road, unsurprisingly the old MTB even with
>BigApple simply due to size of tires plus it’s a MTB so you can move body
>position plus who I am.
>
>To be honest even the touring which has same general tread shape but larger
>does no better in wet or loose ground, it’s not like a MTB or Gravel tire
>ie doesn’t dig in, or conform to the terrain or able to clear ie all pack
>up with mud almost instantly and you just drift along.
>
>The MTB in particular even though they are all round tires will unpack
>fairly quickly, and will in all but the most filthy of conditions retain a
>good grip margin.
>
>This said considering the Marathons and similar are touring/commuting types
>they do well, the grip levels do drop significantly but not to zero, and
>since they have hard rubber compound to last 5/8k and so on the performance
>off road is quite good for what they are.
>
>Roger Merriman

My evaluation is influenced by the Catrike's heavy_on_the_front weight
distribution, and the increased resistance to forward motion due to
having two front wheels

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 4:47:42 PM6/8/23
Absolutely a MTB and trike will get different performances from tires as
will the fact who I am ie MTB is my first love so I will balance/weight
tires instinctively.

Hence I what I’ll ride down on the Gravel bike is quite different to the
more roadie types.

Roger Merriman

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 4:51:32 PM6/8/23
Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:35:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/2023 9:02 AM, AMuzi wrote:
>>>>
>>> For 406 the popular tire here is Kenda Kwik 100psi in 20x1.5 and
>>> 20x1.25. Would any small wheel riders here care to comment?
>>
>> Our Bikes Friday have Marathons. They seem heavy and slow, but rugged.
>
> Which Marathons? There are several.

I’d assume the standard ie Green Guard is some more heavily treaded
versions plus at least 3 plus types but the standard green guard or plus is
one one see in the flesh as you where.

Considering it’s type didn’t think it was slow particularly I certainly
rate it lot better than the Land Cruiser which I thought was cheap and
nasty to be honest!

>> A few years ago I built up a kids bike with Tioga Powerblocks. They seem
>> like they might be decent, but I don't have riding experience with them.
>> The kids didn't complain. ;-)

Roger Merriman

Catrike Rider

Jun 8, 2023, 5:24:10 PM6/8/23
On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 20:51:28 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jun 2023 11:35:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Our Bikes Friday have Marathons. They seem heavy and slow, but rugged.
>>
>> Which Marathons? There are several.
>
>I’d assume the standard ie Green Guard is some more heavily treaded
>versions plus at least 3 plus types but the standard green guard or plus is
>one one see in the flesh as you where.

There's also the Marathon Racer, which is standard equipment on most
Catrikes. IMHO, the Racer has absolutely no redeeming value.

Roger Meriman

Jun 8, 2023, 5:36:26 PM6/8/23
Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 20:51:28 GMT, Roger Meriman <ro...@sarlet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Catrike Rider <sol...@drafting.not> wrote:

>>> Which Marathons? There are several.
>>
>> I’d assume the standard ie Green Guard is some more heavily treaded
>> versions plus at least 3 plus types but the standard green guard or plus is
>> one one see in the flesh as you where.
>
> There's also the Marathon Racer, which is standard equipment on most
> Catrikes. IMHO, the Racer has absolutely no redeeming value.

Seems quite light for such a type of tire never used it one of the few
Marathons I never have!

It’s only just heavier at same size than the Gravel tires I use, has a
worse puncture rating which is slightly surprising really as the Gravel
tire is certainly more performance focused, though Gravel does clearly
involve spiky terrain!

It’s also about half the price!

>> Considering it’s type didn’t think it was slow particularly I certainly
>> rate it lot better than the Land Cruiser which I thought was cheap and
>> nasty to be honest!

>> Roger Merriman

Roger Merriman

Frank Krygowski

Jun 15, 2023, 10:26:46 AM6/15/23
FYI, here are some 406 tires that were just recommended by folks in
another forum:

https://www.danscomp.com/maxxis-dth-bmx-tire-black-20-406-iso-2.2-tb00409900/p1419730?v=1364022

https://www.sim.works/products/simworks-by-panaracer-potter?variant=31763390201908

https://www.tiogausa.com/fastr-x-product.html

I have no experience or opinion about any of these.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Andre Jute

Jun 15, 2023, 11:58:26 AM6/15/23
Schwalbe's Marathon range is as wide as "who live in water". I ride on 60x622 Big Apples. They're Marathons too, according to Schwalbe. But the unqualified commuters' Marathon is the Plus, and the unqualified tourer's Marathon is something else again -- I can ask if any wants to know; there was recently an upheaval when Schwalbe discontinued on line and the replacement wasn't quite so particularly aimed at tourers. It may be good business for Schwalbe to stuff as many of their products as possible ito the renowned Marathon swag bag, but it is confusing for customers.

My bike is designed around Big Apples, in the most literal sense that the Big Apple was designed for my Kranich. I replace Big Apples at 8500km or 5K+miles, because it is a convenient interval considering the mileage I do and the last remaining service interval on my bike (I developed my bike to be as near as possible to zero maintenance), but it leaves possibly that much mileage again on the carcass which I could use by swapping the front tyre, which has tread left on it for the rear one, which has the thin tread worn off but plenty of depth to the compound still left. This is not as ambitious as it sounds. Someone on another forum said the other day that his Big Apples are over 20K kilometres and he's not yet seen the coloured anti-puncture layer. It goes without saying that we are talking about the best of the Big Apples (the lower grades are built with less long-lasting compounds as well as less capable anti-puncture layers, and one really crappy hyper "lightweight" version, the Racer, has zero puncture protection and an ultra-thin layer of fast-wearing compound).

I take y'all are aware that Schwalbe advises cyclists to ride their tyres until the under-layers become visible, which needs to be taken into account when doing a cost-benefit analysis of Schwalbe tyres.

Andre Jute
I'm too poor to afford anything but the best.