Ebay losing messages

Tom Kunich

Nov 27, 2023, 12:03:46 PM11/27/23
I was selling my Land Shark. I wanted it to move rapidly so I put a better than fair price on it - the same or less than bare frames were going for.

I immediately got an Ebay message from a man who wanted the bare frameset only. "I don't suppose you are interested in selling just the frame and fork?" So I quoted him a price via the Ebay message service. He immediately accepted and I went through a great deal of trouble to get the bike professionally packed and shipped before the 24th deadline in spite of the holidays.

Then the buyer asked where the components were. I looked to where I had reduced the price for the frameset only and the message was missing. I had been very careful to use the Ebay message service so that there was an Ebay record of the transaction.

I had the message of him asking for the bare frameset but the message of me quoting the reduced price for the frameset alone was missing. I tried to contact Ebay to ask what had happened to that message and contacting someone at Ebay is as close to impossible as possible. Now I know that he got that message because he instantly bought it but now he claims that he bought the entire bike at that reduced price.

I offered to return his money if he returned the frameset at delivery unopened so that I wouldn't have to pay to have it professionally boxed again. He would have to pay the return postage and I would give him a full refund. This is fair since I had to pay and enormous amount to get that frameset out over the holidays plus Ebay is still going to take their cut of the transaction.

But the buyer is unwilling to pay anything and intends to open a complaint against me.

The question is - how in the hell can all of the messages between the buyer and me be stored but the one message offering the lower price for the frameset alone be missing? Ebay has questions to answer and my phone calls are answered merely by AI and when I am put on hold for a real person I have waited a half hour listening to music and no answers from Ebay.

This sort of thing has stopped me from using Paypal and Amazon both of which put false charges against my account and in the case of Amazon, they hadn't even completed the false transaction when I called and STILL charged me for it.

If Ebay cannot find that one missing communication, I will simply cease to use Ebay. Up to this point I have 100% positive feedback on Ebay but I expect them to dock me from this complaint. The moment they do is the last time that I use Ebay. Alibaba is their competition and the prices are usually better.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Nov 27, 2023, 12:42:51 PM11/27/23
You're an idiot, and you fucked up, again.

Frank Krygowski

Nov 27, 2023, 12:59:52 PM11/27/23
A bit off topic, but I'll note that yet again, Tom's message is not
appearing on Eternal September. It is on Google Groups.

Maybe Tom's dealing with a message-stealing internet poltergeist?

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Nov 27, 2023, 1:37:02 PM11/27/23
Welcome back, Mr Funk.

As an aside, I do not see Mr Kunich's original, only your
reply. My RBT shows '4 unread messages', up from three
yesterday, but no unread messages display.

On to the post then. Ebay is steeply slanted in favor of
buyers. In any dispute the seller is presumed at fault
despite some real jerk/con artist 'buyers'. That's just
background, I have no specific information in this case.
Knowing the ground rules and biases, it behooves seller to
make any and all 'messages' public in the listing itself.
Another good general rule is to walk away when things look
fishy as they often do. Relisting is free, seller only pays
in delay, not lost merchandise or cash.

Short version: I substantially agree with Mr Funk (less
pejoratives).
--
Andrew Muzi
a...@yellowjersey.org

Jeff Liebermann

Nov 27, 2023, 1:37:11 PM11/27/23
On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:03:35 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I had the message of him asking for the bare frameset but the message of me quoting the reduced price for the frameset alone was missing. I tried to contact Ebay to ask what had happened to that message and contacting someone at Ebay is as close to impossible as possible. Now I know that he got that message because he instantly bought it but now he claims that he bought the entire bike at that reduced price.

You'll find all your messages under "My Ebay -> message".
Look under the various tabs on the left of the page (Inbox, Sent,
Trash, Archive, Folders, etc). Note that this is the "classic" view
for eBay messaging. The new and improved replaces all the folders and
options with a half page of advertising.

When you send or reply, there is a check box near the bottom of the
page offering to email a copy of the message to your email address. I
do this for every message, as well as save a copy in a folder under
"Archive". I've never had a problem with eBay losing a message, but
have had problems when I fumble finger my smartphone.

"HOW TO CALL EBAY! Real live Customer Service 2023"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LzTLfX90CE>
You'll probably get a call back within 15 mins. However, during the
Christmas shopping frenzy season, it might take longer.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Roger Merriman

Nov 27, 2023, 3:44:57 PM11/27/23
It’s on Easy news, would would suggest that while Tom may well have some
odd configuration my client doesn’t display much, but that Eternal
September has something to do with this as well as other servers do see his
messages.

Roger Merriman

Doug Landau

Nov 27, 2023, 3:48:57 PM11/27/23
Haha not only your packages now your messages too

Tom Kunich

Nov 27, 2023, 4:16:04 PM11/27/23
On Monday, November 27, 2023 at 12:48:57 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
> Haha not only your packages now your messages too
My bet is that my missing packages is mis-deliveries to wrong addresses. Over the last week I have had three mis-delivered mails - two to the incorrect 2nd digit and one to the next door neighbor. USPS is certainly losing its reliability.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Nov 27, 2023, 4:42:43 PM11/27/23
Maybe Eternal September is trying to tell you something

funkma...@hotmail.com

Nov 27, 2023, 4:55:09 PM11/27/23
On Monday, November 27, 2023 at 1:37:02 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> This sort of thing has stopped me from using Paypal and Amazon both of which put false charges against my account and in the case of Amazon, they hadn't even completed the false transaction when I called and STILL charged me for it.
> >>
> >> If Ebay cannot find that one missing communication, I will simply cease to use Ebay. Up to this point I have 100% positive feedback on Ebay but I expect them to dock me from this complaint. The moment they do is the last time that I use Ebay. Alibaba is their competition and the prices are usually better.
> >
> > You're an idiot, and you fucked up, again.
> Welcome back, Mr Funk.
>
> As an aside, I do not see Mr Kunich's original, only your
> reply. My RBT shows '4 unread messages', up from three
> yesterday, but no unread messages display.

As I noted to Frank, maybe Eternal September is trying to tell you something

> On to the post then. Ebay is steeply slanted in favor of
> buyers. In any dispute the seller is presumed at fault
> despite some real jerk/con artist 'buyers'. That's just
> background, I have no specific information in this case.
> Knowing the ground rules and biases, it behooves seller to
> make any and all 'messages' public in the listing itself.
> Another good general rule is to walk away when things look
> fishy as they often do. Relisting is free, seller only pays
> in delay, not lost merchandise or cash.

I feel it only fair to point out as well, Alibaba is _not_ Ebays competition. Ebay has a number of competitors, but none of any great threat.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/business/software/best-ebay-alternatives/

Alibaba is in direct competition with Amazon, not ebay,

> Short version: I substantially agree with Mr Funk (less
> pejoratives).

You, sir, are a Gentleman and a Scholar (sociopolitical asshattery notwithstanding)