Bicycle Mechanic Simulator (game)

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 28, 2022, 6:58:48 PM7/28/22
Not available yet.
<https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867650/Bicycle_Mechanic_Simulator/>
"Run your bicycle workshop and repair bicycles by your own hand.
Tighten the screws, adjust the chain, and then do some personalized
printing. It's not just your sweat that makes you a bicycle repair
master, but your attention to detail and skills."

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Frank Krygowski

Jul 28, 2022, 8:22:16 PM7/28/22
On 7/28/2022 6:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> Not available yet.
> <https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867650/Bicycle_Mechanic_Simulator/>
> "Run your bicycle workshop and repair bicycles by your own hand.
> Tighten the screws, adjust the chain, and then do some personalized
> printing. It's not just your sweat that makes you a bicycle repair
> master, but your attention to detail and skills."

"The parts you know and the parts you don't know will give you the fun
of assembling a bike in the game. Use different assembly tools to
transform a bike from a scattering of parts into a shiny, stylish bike."

I've built and rebuilt multiple bikes. But I've thought this could be an
interesting puzzle in real life:

Give a person a brand new bike that was absolutely, totally
disassembled, including every screw, every spring, every circlip, every
bearing, every spring, every derailleur pivot. Have them put it together.

Until STI came on the scene, I think I could have put it all together.
Now I'm not so sure.

--
- Frank Krygowski

ritzann...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2022, 9:40:46 PM7/28/22
I'm not sure what the "and then do some personalized printing" in Jeff's post means.

But as far as assembling a bike from all parts, I don't know. If you disassembled a chain, you would have about 5 different parts with the pins and rollers and bushings and side plates. Putting it back together would be just repeating the same steps over and over a hundred or so times. But even old time friction rear derailleurs had more than a few parts. I doubt I would get them all in the right place. I've built wheels. But its not a task I jump for joy over. But I can do it. As for freewheels, NO WAY could I or almost anyone on earth reassemble all the tiny parts inside back together correctly. Today, with STI and Ergo levers and freehub bodies, no I am not going to assemble every tiny screw and clip.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 28, 2022, 10:31:33 PM7/28/22
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 20:22:12 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 7/28/2022 6:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> Not available yet.
>> <https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867650/Bicycle_Mechanic_Simulator/>
>> "Run your bicycle workshop and repair bicycles by your own hand.
>> Tighten the screws, adjust the chain, and then do some personalized
>> printing. It's not just your sweat that makes you a bicycle repair
>> master, but your attention to detail and skills."

>"The parts you know and the parts you don't know will give you the fun
>of assembling a bike in the game. Use different assembly tools to
>transform a bike from a scattering of parts into a shiny, stylish bike."
>
>I've built and rebuilt multiple bikes. But I've thought this could be an
>interesting puzzle in real life:

I'm not sure the game would be of much interest to you, me, or anyone
in RBT. My guess(tm) is the target audience might be kids, who might
want to repair their old rusty bicycle rotting away in the garage, but
are afraid to ask their parents for help. Or, it could be something
for mechanically ignorant parents to give to the kids so that the kids
could learn how to fix their own bicycles. Difficult to tell.

Unfortunately, we may never know. It seems like the game announcement
is at least 3 year old and lacks the usual demo program and price. It
probably has been abandoned by its author, who also has no other games
listed for Steam. I logged in and added my name to those that were
interested, but that won't produce much additional interest in the
game.

>Give a person a brand new bike that was absolutely, totally
>disassembled, including every screw, every spring, every circlip, every
>bearing, every spring, every derailleur pivot. Have them put it together.

I've never had that experience with a bicycle. However, I've built a
few bicycles out of junk parts, where the bicycle arrived in pieces.
My MTB was like that. I fished it out of a dumpster, attached parts
that could be found, scrounged some others, and bought a few things.
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Gary-Fisher-Tassajara.JPG>
However, I cheated. Shimano had a recall for the cranks:
<https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/customer-services/recalls-and-repairs/fc-ct90-m920-mc12-cranks.html>
The old cranks looked ok, but since it was free, I decided a new crank
might be useful. The work was done at the LSB:
<https://www.bicycletrip.com>
In literally every repair business I've been involved with, there is
always someone who brings in a disassembled device and wants it fixed.
I just turned down the honor or reassembling a 6kw Chinese generator
that was scattered among about 8 large cardboard boxes. I'm quite
certain that there were parts missing. The average teenager might
find a similar bicycle assembly puzzle entertaining, but this hardened
veteran of far too many basket case nightmares does not.

>Until STI came on the scene, I think I could have put it all together.
>Now I'm not so sure.

My rule is something like "If I know how it works, I can fix it".
There are far too many broken things these days that defy
understanding.

Incidentally, I couldn't resist trying the demo for a bicycle MTB
game:
"Lonely Mountains: Downhill" (5 parts)
<https://store.steampowered.com/app/711540/Lonely_Mountains_Downhill/>
This will take me some time to learn, after I find where my box of
gamepads are hiding.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 28, 2022, 10:37:38 PM7/28/22
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 18:40:45 -0700 (PDT), "russell...@yahoo.com"
<ritzann...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 7:22:16 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 7/28/2022 6:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> > Not available yet.
>> > <https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867650/Bicycle_Mechanic_Simulator/>
>> > "Run your bicycle workshop and repair bicycles by your own hand.
>> > Tighten the screws, adjust the chain, and then do some personalized
>> > printing. It's not just your sweat that makes you a bicycle repair
>> > master, but your attention to detail and skills."

>> "The parts you know and the parts you don't know will give you the fun
>> of assembling a bike in the game. Use different assembly tools to
>> transform a bike from a scattering of parts into a shiny, stylish bike."
>>
>> I've built and rebuilt multiple bikes. But I've thought this could be an
>> interesting puzzle in real life:
>>
>> Give a person a brand new bike that was absolutely, totally
>> disassembled, including every screw, every spring, every circlip, every
>> bearing, every spring, every derailleur pivot. Have them put it together.
>>
>> Until STI came on the scene, I think I could have put it all together.
>> Now I'm not so sure.
>>

>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski

>I'm not sure what the "and then do some personalized printing" in Jeff's post means.

Neither am I. The double quotes around that paragraph indicate that I
stole it from the included source. It's part of the game description.
My guess(tm) is it refers to customing the decals on the bicycle frame
and might reflect the authors lack of English language experience.

>But as far as assembling a bike from all parts, I don't know. If you disassembled a chain, you would have about 5 different parts with the pins and rollers and bushings and side plates. Putting it back together would be just repeating the same steps over and over a hundred or so times. But even old time friction rear derailleurs had more than a few parts. I doubt I would get them all in the right place. I've built wheels. But its not a task I jump for joy over. But I can do it. As for freewheels, NO WAY could I or almost anyone on earth reassemble all the tiny parts inside back together correctly. Today, with STI and Ergo levers and freehub bodies, no I am not going to assemble every tiny screw and clip.

Try the included video and slide show. (Sorry, no demo program). The
video doesn't seem to show any small parts or hardware. Just the
larger parts.

I think assembly is much easier than adjustment.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 29, 2022, 12:02:06 PM7/29/22
About the chain: I agree, my hypothetical bike assembly puzzle would
treat the chain as one object.

But freewheels, while fussy, aren't incomprehensible. I've disassembled
and re-assembled at least a couple.

Related, but posted here before. On one cross-state tour, my buddy
suddenly stopped, saying "Something's wrong." Turns out the body of his
freewheel had broken, spilling tiny bearing balls on the road. A nearby
homeowner let us work in his garage. We took the freewheel apart, used
some well-greased electrical wire as a sort of bushing to substitute for
one row of missing balls, and managed to get the freewheel to hold
together.

Unfortunately, the freewheel no longer really freewheeled. He was able
to shift gears, but he couldn't coast. Still, my friend rode that 50
miles to the next town with a bike shop.

--
- Frank Krygowski

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 2, 2022, 4:06:43 PM8/2/22
I had a Regina FW disintegrate on a ride once - I want to say sometime ~1990 (I was one of the last guys in the local racing scene using down-tube friction shifters and toe-clips). I took it back to our team shop and the owner replaced it for free, saying something like 'it was obviously defective if a 135 pound flyweight like you broke it'.