Eddy Merckx Elite

Tom Kunich

Mar 8, 2021, 4:19:33 PM3/8/21
I decided that riding a carbon fiber bike can only end badly one day. Of course that day might be past the end of my lifespan but if it isn't I would just as well not have a CF bike come apart underneath me. This has become enough of a worry that it slows me up on descents whereas I find that ascents are not remarkably faster on my steel bike. So rather than worry about the descents when the ascents show little to no gain seems a rather stupid means of sport riding.

Also, the sheer number of gears showing up on the scene is growing more and more preposterous every year. I was happy enough with 8 speeds and I could see Armstrong's point of a 9th gear to add a climbing bike so he didn't have to change bikes at the bottom of all of the hard climbs. So when it became difficult to get 8 speed parts, I didn't complain about changing over to 9 speeds. But that was followed all too rapidly with a change to 10 and then 11 and now 12 is the "standard" at least until 14 becomes the "latest standard". Why should I be shifting three gears at a time to arrive at the gear I want? Most especially at higher gears where you might have a 14-13-12-11 and the only places a 12 or 11 can be used is if you decide to pedal on downhills.

So I've put my carbon bikes on the chopping block and since they aren't selling on Craigslist I suppose that sooner or later they will go onto eBay.

Since I got the Felt new off of eBay I ran into the Eddy Elite while I was looking. Decent price if not a super deal. Rapid delivery which is becoming more and more unusual. The bike is not particularly light but neither was my Colnago C40s and I put in many miles on those. While I might have Preferred a Colnago Dream that particular aluminum frameset seems to have undergone a new appreciation and they are no longer available in my frame size. Once received though I have been rather impressed with the Eddy.

With frame, fork, headset, spacers, stem, seat clamp, bottle holder and Campy Skeleton brakes and shoes on it I would expect the finished bike to weigh around 20 lbs or so. Maybe a lb. more that would make it 3 lb.'s lighter than the Lemond. I guess the question is more about how it rides. It being a Merckx I an not worried about that.

jbeattie

Mar 9, 2021, 3:45:02 PM3/9/21
It's an 18 year old Easton 7005 frame -- with CF fork that looks like a Kinesis with bonded ends. I'd rather have a 6061 CAAD 7.
And an 18 year old CF fork is a poor choice for you with your history of broken CF forks. Buying a new fork would exceed the reasonable value of that frame. Have you made money selling any of these odd-ball bikes?

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom Kunich

Mar 9, 2021, 4:55:13 PM3/9/21
I'm not trying to make money. I'm trying to get my money back. How many carbon fiber forks have you seen break? On one about this same age on the Colnago Dream I hit a stone wall at about 25 mph and it barely cracked the area around the dropout. The broken fork i had that gave me a concussion was made in three four pieces instead of two. And it had NO resin on the leg that came off.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 9, 2021, 9:48:35 PM3/9/21
If you're trying to get back the money you spend buying odd frames and
components, there's a more efficient way. Stop buying that stuff in the
first place.

You seem to have a compulsion. There are ways to address such things.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Mar 10, 2021, 10:28:21 AM3/10/21
Tell me Frank. at what time did it become your responsibility to live my life? You have been unable to be half the success at your own life as I have been at mine. So what expertise at anything do you believe you ever had?

Frank Krygowski

Mar 10, 2021, 3:07:53 PM3/10/21
Tom, you post all these tales of woe:

"I bought these weird bike bits and bike frames and spent many confused
weeks trying to put them together; but now that I'm done, nobody wants
to buy them!"

If you're not looking for advice, why are you posting about it at all?

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

Mar 10, 2021, 8:03:14 PM3/10/21
Success??
Information from his posts here and on other sites

Lives in a "slum" neighborhood - guns going off frequently
Still lives in his mother's house - apparently could not accrue
sufficient funds to buy his own
Complains about the cost of groceries
Can't find a job
Claims a $40,000 income one month and buys second hand junk

Oh Lord! Protect me from Tom's sort of "success".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 10, 2021, 8:51:58 PM3/10/21
If Tom didn't post his claims here you and a few others would have very little to post about. ;<)

Cheers

Frank Krygowski

Mar 10, 2021, 9:43:07 PM3/10/21
We could post about bioweapons! That's bike related, isn't it?

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

Mar 10, 2021, 9:43:12 PM3/10/21
Well there is the debate about the gravel and CX bikes but here,
essentially, all the roads, or at least all the roads I see, are
paved. I've been riding 23mm tires since I switched from "sew-ups".

And, lets see, I use proper screwed in Bottom Brackets that don't moan
and groan and I use fenders in the rainy season and bare wheels in the
dry. Oh yes, and I check my handle bars once in a while and so far
have never found a broken one.

I've got three steel frame bikes - one in Bangkok and two here in the
country which I've had for probably 15 or so years and the damned
things just never seem to wear out.

So, about all that is left is Tom and his fantasies :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 10, 2021, 10:29:42 PM3/10/21
It is when the bio-weapon is expelled by a bicyclist in front of you in a group, and that bicyclist has eaten a lot of beans or some other gas producing food and lets go with an almost deadly high-stink fart. Then again, perhaps it's not a bio-weapon but a low energy jet-propulsion?

Or when the bio-weapon drastically reduces the number of bicyclists out on the roads or trails?

Cheers

ritzann...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2021, 2:36:45 AM3/11/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 7:03:14 PM UTC-6, John B. wrote:
> Claims a $40,000 income one month and buys second hand junk
>
> John B.

Is that $40k per YEAR, or per MONTH? If its per month, then even in expensive California that should be enough to get you into the middle class and allow you to live somewhat comfortably if you watch some of your pennies. I'm sure $480,000 per year does not go too far in California, but it should be OK enough. Now, if its $40,000 per year, then one would have to watch what junk they buy second hand. But even with a mere $40,000 per year, even in expensive California you should be able to feed yourself and keep some kind of roof over your head and buy a used K-Mart bike every year or two.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 11, 2021, 11:09:32 AM3/11/21
On 3/10/2021 9:43 PM, John B. wrote:

> Well there is the debate about the gravel and CX bikes but here,
> essentially, all the roads, or at least all the roads I see, are
> paved. I've been riding 23mm tires since I switched from "sew-ups".

I think the narrowest tires ever used for more than a short time were
25mm. I've spent most of my road riding time on 28s, some on 32s, a bit
on 35s or 37s when doing loaded touring.

It seems the latest data indicates the super narrow tires have no lower
rolling resistance than similarly constructed wider tires, unless you're
on a surface as smooth as a velodrome track. And wider tires tend to be
less flat prone and more comfortable.

--
- Frank Krygowski

funkma...@hotmail.com

Mar 11, 2021, 11:33:57 AM3/11/21
The pendulum has actually fully swung the other way, frank. It seems wider tires now have _lower_ rolling resistance than skinnier tires , except for - as you note - velodromes. Sarcasm aside, there is a lot of real data to support the concept. I think it's safest to say that the rougher the surface, the wider the tire should be (well, duh!).

funkma...@hotmail.com

Mar 11, 2021, 11:35:11 AM3/11/21
480K per year goes plenty far in the area tom lives.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 11, 2021, 12:41:44 PM3/11/21
+1

--
- Frank Krygowski

Lou Holtman

Mar 11, 2021, 12:43:52 PM3/11/21
Op donderdag 11 maart 2021 om 17:09:32 UTC+1 schreef Frank Krygowski:
That is a too simple conclusion. I mentioned this earlier:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison

Lou

John B.

Mar 11, 2021, 5:28:45 PM3/11/21
He had stated that he had a million in investments and then stated
that he had made "4% last month", or words to that effect,
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Mar 11, 2021, 5:53:13 PM3/11/21
Well,I never thought that 23's were "super narrow" as I had ridden
19mm sew ups at one time :-) and as for rolling resistance I have the
suspicions that it is a highly over rated consideration. Does a 25mm
tire (pumped up to 100 psi) really decrease your speed on your 2 mile
Sunday ride to Church? And as for"more comfortable" I remember a bloke
named Frank, telling the world how tension your thigh muscles a bit
and sort of decompress your buttocks when riding over bumps. My own
humble opinion is if you want springs then buy a mountain bike. They
come with front and back suspension.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 11, 2021, 7:42:04 PM3/11/21
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 05:28:36 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Not exactly what he said:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/cwnYLEAEa_4/m/xpaTZObFAQAJ>
On my smallest investment account, just last month I made 4%.
I still have a half million more dollars in other accounts.
What do you suppose that will make my income for one month?

The half million grew to a million in:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/5Dzs6MuEgY0/m/V9VnFEvKBAAJ>
Well, this person who you seem to think is so dumb is sitting
on a million dollars. What do you have fatso?

The 14 page resume arrived shortly thereafter in:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/5Dzs6MuEgY0/m/EvXTIo3KBAAJ>
My resume and my recommendations are on LinkedIn so you can
look them up anytime you like. That is a mere 3 pages of so
of a 14 page resume that used to go into great detail. So
you don't believe me, you can always look it up and prove
me a liar.

That was followed by the wrong definition of VHDL which starts around
here:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/5Dzs6MuEgY0/m/8fCcXhDoAAAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/5Dzs6MuEgY0/m/-6XA5N7oAAAJ>
VHDL is very high density logic and if you are talking about
Very High-level Design Language you say so and don't try to
fool people with acronyms that are most commonly used for
something else.

This is my personal favorite. Analog Devices is not listed in his
resume, Grainger should Granger Assoc, and the threat at the end is
disappointing because I was trying to help Tom make corrections to his
resume:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/_Y1MbXuzvNo/m/yzMUyoSvAgAJ>
I know that working at Analog Devices designing chips to
you seems somehow important but not to me then and not
to me now. Since you don't understand anything about chip
design and how 20 engineers will work on the same chip
and each has a section of the design that is so insignificant,
it isn't worth talking about. I think that medical instrument
or lab instrument design being FAR more meaningful. But you
want to tell us that working for Grainger or whoever for
most of your life was just so damned rewarding. I'm glad
you liked your job but don't criticize mine or my requirements.
YOU don't like my writing? Fuck you. And if I have the bad
enough luck to meet you I will emphasis that directly in
your face.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Frank Krygowski

Mar 11, 2021, 10:17:40 PM3/11/21
Well, there are always more details one can consider. Care to summarize
which further details you think need mention?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Lou Holtman

Mar 12, 2021, 4:52:31 AM3/12/21
Op vrijdag 12 maart 2021 om 04:17:40 UTC+1 schreef Frank Krygowski:
If someone states that tires of the same construction (ie. Continental GP5000) the wider version will have less RR and are more comfortable he/she is mistaken. This is easy to understand. Inflate the wider version to the same pressure and it will have less RR but also is less comfortable for the same reason: less vertical deflection when hitting a bump. As for the less prone to puncture statement this is only true for the pinch flat part. I always opposed to the less RR and more comfortable ride statements of people who never used tires of the same construction for both widths. I use Continental GP5000 tires in 25, 28 and 32 mm width and my observation is exactly on par with the results of the test I referred to. Besides the higher weight and being less aero you can achieve a lower RR with wider tires but they will be more uncomfortable. You can use wider tires at a lower pressure for traction and/or comfort on rough surface without an increased chance of a pinch flat but the RR will be more. To speak in your terms wider tires are more versatile but nothing comes for free.

Lou

AMuzi

Mar 12, 2021, 9:03:35 AM3/12/21
+1

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 9:10:42 AM3/12/21
Tell me Frank, where did I ever post that? As I have said several times now, the fact that you would post this sort of thing is a lot more indicative of you than it is of me.

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 9:17:46 AM3/12/21
That is taxable income per year though I'm now not far from making that per month. But making money and spending money when Biden is in power wouldn't be very smart now would it. Where it is is inflation safe. Biden has sent us down the road to super inflation and according to Frank, that's no problem at all because he doesn't give one shit about the rest of the world and all of the people in it as long as he can get along. The normal communist schpeal.

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 9:29:48 AM3/12/21
Tests of rolling resistance mean almost nothing because they do not reflect real world conditions. There is no rider on the test machine and there are no real road conditions. That is why the road Pros discovered that wide tires are actually faster. Not because of the tiny difference in rolling resistance but because in the road world on normal road conditions the rider is being thrown up and down and that is similar to putting the brakes on. Pro's used to somewhat make up for this by riding extremely smoothly being very careful with their pedal strokes etc. But with the wider tires (most pro's in the Tour use 26 mm sewups they are a lot more free to ride any way they like. Smooth circular pedal strokes no longer gain them as much and you can watch some of them riding as "mashers".

jbeattie

Mar 12, 2021, 9:33:16 AM3/12/21
If the Biden economy is so bad, how are you close to making $480K per year? Doing what? You stated your retirement account was sub $1M, and it is not going to be generating 50% returns in any Biden market. That's impossible because he's a communist, and the market hates him.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 9:36:21 AM3/12/21
Well. I designed the first full time working heart-lung machine and the respiratory gas analyzer both of which you will no doubt make use of in the very near future. From you comments you nearly have a heart attack when you make your unfounded assertions and it turns out that I have wide experience in those fields and can see you for the fool you are.

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 9:45:17 AM3/12/21
You are quite right Lou, but you do not have equal pressures in the wider tires and the difference in rolling resistance is absolutely nowhere near the improvement is actual road performance from hard narrow tires to soft wider tires. I run 28 mm tires on all of my newer bikes because they are designed to receive such tires. And I ride 70 lbs in them. Over a measured course the wider softer tires are more comfortable, handle better and are safer on these rough roads. Plus I cannot tell any difference in the 25 mile lap time other than my condition.

My Time Edge was unrideable with 23 mm tires on it. But with 28's it was the best riding bike I had.

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 9:49:59 AM3/12/21
Why do you take something some nitwit like Jeff says and attribute it to me. In the last 9 months I have made $160,000 dollar on my investments. That was almost entirely from the Trump economy. If you want to believe that the US sending $900,000,000 to Iran and China are helping his economy, you are perfectly welcome to do so.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2021, 9:54:48 AM3/12/21
yup, the markets hate biden so much that since biden was sworn in the DJIA is up over 6% and the SP500 is up over 4 %, both tracking to record highs. Here's some financial advice - Watch what kunich does, then do the opposite.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 12, 2021, 11:36:57 AM3/12/21
OK, let's dive into the rabbit hole:

Perhaps I should not have said "... data indicates the super narrow
tires have no lower rolling resistance than similarly constructed wider
tires ..." without adding "... if pressures are within about 25 psi."

Because, according to the second graph at
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison
if a person who switched from 23s to 32s reduced their pressure by 30
psi instead of 25 psi, they would see a 2% increase in rolling
resistance. (Whoa!)

And perhaps I should specified that wider tires are less prone to
_pinch_ flats instead of just saying they're less prone to flats...

Hmm.

But how many riders carefully calibrate their new tires' pressure to
produce the same absolute (not percentage) tire drop? I've never heard
of anyone doing such a thing.

And if pinch flats are reduced but puncture flats are not affected, does
that not still indicate the tires are more resistant to flats overall?

Never mind. I'm sticking with my original statement. For typical riders'
behaviors and riding conditions, what I said is still true: Wider tires
of similar construction have less rolling resistance and fewer flats.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot

Mar 12, 2021, 1:52:47 PM3/12/21
My experience is that the harder a road tire is inflated the easier it is to puncture. My guess is that a hard tire doesn't deform as much when going over a sharp object and therefore the sharp object penetrates easier than with a lower pressure tire or even that tire at a lower pressure.

Cheers

Lou Holtman

Mar 12, 2021, 2:29:55 PM3/12/21
Op vrijdag 12 maart 2021 om 17:36:57 UTC+1 schreef Frank Krygowski:
Okey Dokey. Do you have data? Nevermind I knew I was wasting my time.

Lou

Frank Krygowski

Mar 12, 2021, 3:18:17 PM3/12/21
I used the data you provided: Graph of rolling resistance vs. pressure
for four different tire widths. Please review.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Mar 12, 2021, 5:15:47 PM3/12/21
You weren't wasting your time with me. Those numbers pretty much proved my beliefs.

John B.

Mar 12, 2021, 5:47:39 PM3/12/21
Well yes The Demo's are going to hand out something like 1.9 trillion
to you poor victims of the virus. And it is likely that dumping that
much into the economy will cause some level of inflation.

So what's the solution? Everyone should refuse the (I read) $1,400
that the Government wants to give you?

"Fight Inflation! Don't Take The Money!"
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Mar 12, 2021, 6:07:03 PM3/12/21
The first successful heart-lung machine was developed by John H.
Gibbon, Jr. who In 1953, at Jefferson Medical College, Gibbon
connected the circulatory system of an 18-year-old female to a new
machine, stopped the woman’s heart, and for 26 minutes performed
surgery to close a hole in the wall of the heart between the left and
right atria. It was the first successful use of a heart-lung machine
https://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/divisions-diagnostics-and-procedures/medicine/heart-lung-machine
That was when you were 9 years old.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Mark J.

Mar 12, 2021, 6:41:22 PM3/12/21
Clearly a prodigy.

Mark J.

John B.

Mar 12, 2021, 7:14:46 PM3/12/21
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:41:21 -0800, "Mark J." <MarkU...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Well, as Abraham Lincoln was reported to have said, "No man has a
good enough memory to be a successful liar" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Ralph Barone

Mar 12, 2021, 8:06:53 PM3/12/21
Send it to me. That will move the inflation to Canada - avoiding the
dreaded socialism in your country, while simultaneously weakening your
competitor in the global market. It’s a win-win-win situation.

Tom Kunich

Mar 13, 2021, 11:09:46 AM3/13/21
It is always nice to discover that you can be an expert about things you know nothing about. The first H/L machines would keep a patient alive for bare minutes for reasons that are totally beyond your small brain and invisible understanding. Try looking up "ignorant" and you will find a picture of you. There were np RGA's without which you couldn't get a H/L machine to work properly.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 13, 2021, 1:34:04 PM3/13/21
On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 06:36:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well. I designed the first full time working heart-lung machine and
>the respiratory gas analyzer both of which you will no doubt make
>use of in the very near future. From you comments you nearly have
>a heart attack when you make your unfounded assertions and it turns
>out that I have wide experience in those fields and can see you for
>the fool you are.

I had a triple bypass in 2001 and survived thanks to a heart-lung
machine (cardiopulmonary bypass machine). As I vaguely recall, my
heart was stopped for about 45 mins. Thanks for designing the
heart-lung machine that made it possible for me to be here today. To
insure you receive the proper credit, you really should add the
heart-lung machine and respiratory gas analyzer design accomplishments
to your resume:
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-kunich-22012/>

Reminder: Change ElectroBioMed Corp details from "XT" to "XP". In
2007-2009, nobody was writing firmware code on an IBM XT machine.

Tom Kunich

Mar 13, 2021, 4:32:21 PM3/13/21
On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 10:34:04 AM UTC-8, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 06:36:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Well. I designed the first full time working heart-lung machine and
> >the respiratory gas analyzer both of which you will no doubt make
> >use of in the very near future. From you comments you nearly have
> >a heart attack when you make your unfounded assertions and it turns
> >out that I have wide experience in those fields and can see you for
> >the fool you are.
> I had a triple bypass in 2001 and survived thanks to a heart-lung
> machine (cardiopulmonary bypass machine). As I vaguely recall, my
> heart was stopped for about 45 mins. Thanks for designing the
> heart-lung machine that made it possible for me to be here today. To
> insure you receive the proper credit, you really should add the
> heart-lung machine and respiratory gas analyzer design accomplishments
> to your resume:
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-kunich-22012/>
>
> Reminder: Change ElectroBioMed Corp details from "XT" to "XP". In
> 2007-2009, nobody was writing firmware code on an IBM XT machine.

Why Jeff? I also don't have the respiratory gas analyzer on my resume either but have a lot of tools around here marked with the "RGA Lab". Do you have some deeling that what is on there is insufficient to prove my expertise? If so, why?

jbeattie

Mar 13, 2021, 5:52:37 PM3/13/21
No you did not design the first full-time working heart-lung machine. CBPs have been around for >50 years, and no, not just machines that function for a few minutes. Read this book: https://www.amazon.com/King-Hearts-Maverick-Pioneered-Surgery/dp/0609807242 It's a great read -- and you will learn that CBPs capable of use in complex heart surgeries were working reliably in the 1960s -- when you were changing oil on airplanes. Recall Christiaan Barnard? 1967 . . . heart transplant?

If you did anything noteworthy, you would have patents, and from my brief research of the USTPO filings, you don't have even one. I just wrapped up a ride with a guy who has maybe 50. I think he gets a patent every time he folds a piece of paper. Anybody who did what you claim would have patent royalties up the yin-yang or at least inventor credits.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 14, 2021, 5:41:56 AM3/14/21
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 13:32:18 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 10:34:04 AM UTC-8, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 06:36:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
>> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Well. I designed the first full time working heart-lung machine and
>> >the respiratory gas analyzer both of which you will no doubt make
>> >use of in the very near future. From you comments you nearly have
>> >a heart attack when you make your unfounded assertions and it turns
>> >out that I have wide experience in those fields and can see you for
>> >the fool you are.

>> I had a triple bypass in 2001 and survived thanks to a heart-lung
>> machine (cardiopulmonary bypass machine). As I vaguely recall, my
>> heart was stopped for about 45 mins. Thanks for designing the
>> heart-lung machine that made it possible for me to be here today. To
>> insure you receive the proper credit, you really should add the
>> heart-lung machine and respiratory gas analyzer design accomplishments
>> to your resume:
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-kunich-22012/>
>>
>> Reminder: Change ElectroBioMed Corp details from "XT" to "XP". In
>> 2007-2009, nobody was writing firmware code on an IBM XT machine.

>Why Jeff?

As I noted, to insure that you receive the proper credit for your
work.

>I also don't have the respiratory gas analyzer on my resume either

I also mentioned that in the comments. You really should read what I
wrote, or at least verify what you think I may have written.

>but have a lot of tools around here marked with the "RGA Lab".

Tools? Is this the "RGA Lab(s)" that is marked on your tools?
<http://www.rgalabs.com>
<http://www.rgalabs.com/RGALabsSummaySheetRev2.pdf>

RGAĂ¡LabsĂ¡isĂ¡aĂ¡fullyĂ¡integratedĂ¡engineeringĂ¡companyĂ¡foundedĂ¡inĂ¡1998Ă¡andĂ¡
specializingĂ¡inĂ¡theĂ¡powerĂ¡industry,Ă¡includingĂ¡nuclear,Ă¡transmission,Ă¡

andĂ¡aerospaceĂ¡powerĂ¡systems.Ă¡Ă¡OurĂ¡missionĂ¡isĂ¡toĂ¡provideĂ¡ourĂ¡customersĂ¡
withĂ¡aĂ¡groupĂ¡ofĂ¡highlyĂ¡experiencedĂ¡individualsĂ¡coveringĂ¡aĂ¡varietyĂ¡of
Ă¡ engineering,Ă¡scientific,Ă¡computing,Ă¡andĂ¡managementĂ¡fields.Ă¡
(...)
IncorporatedĂ¡inĂ¡1998Ă¡(IllinoisĂ¡SĂ¡Corp.)Ă¡HeadquarteredĂ¡inĂ¡Barrington

Ă¡HillsĂ¡(N.W.Ă¡ofĂ¡Chicago,Ă¡Il.)Ă¡PrincipalsĂ¡andĂ¡associatesĂ¡areĂ¡predominantly
Ă¡fromĂ¡theĂ¡powerĂ¡generationĂ¡industryĂ¡withĂ¡overĂ¡450Ă¡yearsĂ¡collectiveĂ¡
experience.Ă¡Ă¡
Power generation? Chicago?

>Do
>you have some deeling that what is on there is insufficient to prove my
>expertise? If so, why?

Sorry, but I don't have a "deeling". However, I understand your
point. All I need to do is inscribe "RGA Lab(s)" on my toolbox
and I too can claim to have invented something of importance.

As for why? Because I don't like liars, and people who don't bother
to substantiate their preposterous claims.

Designing one of the great medical devices of the 20th century would
normally be a great achievement, worthy of international acclaim:
<https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/save-his-dying-sister-law-charles-lindbergh-Invented-medical-device-180956526/>
Yet, for some unknown reason, you don't mention it on your resume.
While I appreciate your modesty in not taking credit on your resume
for what I presume would have been a team effort, I would think that
such an achievement would deserve at least a subtle disclosure,
targeting only those who are familiar with the history of the device.

Who Really Invented the Heart/Lung Pump And ECPR?
<https://perfusiontheory.com/who-really-invented-the-heartlung-pump-and-ecpr/>

Of course, I would expect you to question why I'm offering such
suggestions. I explained this a few months ago. Briefly, I believe
that finding you a full time job will greatly diminish the volume
and/or frequency of your contributions to R.B.T.

Again, thank you for inventing the machine that saved my life in 2002.
You might be interested in the announcement I posted in several Usenet
newsgroups after I escaped from the hospital:
<http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/crud/surgery.txt>

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 12:09:25 PM3/14/21
Jay, what do you know about heart lung machines, and engineering or the medical facts behind them. I will wait for you to concoct a really good line.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 12:18:31 PM3/14/21
No Jeff, that is NOT the RGA lab that is marked on my tools. Perhaps that is a company that bought up the RGA from whatever company I developed the digital portion at. The company had to have gone broke since I'm not in the habit of robbing tools from companies where I work. I have a vague recollection of the VP telling us that we could take anything we liked.

Maybe you can be as boorish as Jay and say that if I ever did any of these things that I should have patents on them all. Of course I'm sure that you patented your work on the radios you made for Granger. Why you must be a multimillionaire for your work as an engineer right?

jbeattie

Mar 14, 2021, 12:30:23 PM3/14/21
Tom, answer the question. How did you design a machine that was in regular use since the 1960s? Did you develop a new iteration, like one with casters on it? Your pomposity is staggering and yet you can point to nothing with your name on it. Even my dad had patents, and he was just tinkering in the garage after his day job as a pharmacist and chemist. https://patents.google.com/patent/US2792247 I mean really. If you developed anything noteworthy, you would have an inventor credit. There is no corroboration whatsoever of any of your claims apart from your own statements. How are we to judge the truth of anything you say?

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 1:09:02 PM3/14/21
Jay, because they WEREN'T in regular use. They were constant flow devices and not cardiac-like pumps. They were only good for bare minutes because unless you pump in the heart-like rhythm and pressure the entire venous system rapidly fails. Now explain to me what you know about medical instrumentation. The device I did the digital design and programming on could be used not just for hours but days.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 1:10:58 PM3/14/21
On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 9:30:23 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
Tell everyone here why Jeff isn't carrying dozens of patents on his designs? Why do you not even have a passing understanding of business?

jbeattie

Mar 14, 2021, 2:20:55 PM3/14/21
Do you just make this stuff up? A heart lung machine does not pulsate like a heart. It uses a roller pump or a centrifugal pump. How do I know this? Its on the f****** internet. Any dope can look that up.

Show me one thing on the internet indicating that heart lung machines pump blood in a cardiac-like fashion. Anything.

Heart lung machines have been in use for >50 years. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/circulationaha.108.830174

I think you're talking about an ECMO machine? If so, I doubt you designed it since you can't even describe it. Is this what you're trying to talk about? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_membrane_oxygenation Even ECMO uses a standard blood pump.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 2:33:05 PM3/14/21
Have your way Jay. I'm sure that you should have a heart operation on one of those.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 14, 2021, 3:29:35 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:20:53 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
<jbeat...@msn.com> wrote:

>Do you just make this stuff up? A heart lung machine does not pulsate
>like a heart. It uses a roller pump or a centrifugal pump. How do I
>know this? Its on the f****** internet. Any dope can look that up.

Two types of pumps. Centrifugal and roller, neither of which are
pulsating:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Centrifugal_pump>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Roller_pump>

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 14, 2021, 3:52:10 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:33:03 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Have your way Jay. I'm sure that you should have a heart
>operation on one of those.

Actually, I would recommend having a heart bypass operation should the
question arise. I was in rather bad shape at the time I needed a
triple bypass. I could barely run across the street without huffing
and puffing. Bicycle riding was impossible. I wrongly assumed that I
only needed to loose some weight, fix my diet, and do some more
exercise. After the bypass operation (Feb 2001), it was like turning
the clock back 15 years. I was initially weak from the surgery, but
most of my stamina had returned. I was riding my a bicycle after
about 6 months. The warranty on the work expired after 16 years, when
the grafted arteries became partly clogged with plaque, requiring the
installation of two stents (Nov 2018). Having seen the angiogram
photo from before the heart bypass, I'm certain that I would have died
in 2001 without the operation.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 3:55:02 PM3/14/21
On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 12:29:35 PM UTC-7, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:20:53 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
> <jbeat...@msn.com> wrote:
>
> >Do you just make this stuff up? A heart lung machine does not pulsate
> >like a heart. It uses a roller pump or a centrifugal pump. How do I
> >know this? Its on the f****** internet. Any dope can look that up.
> Two types of pumps. Centrifugal and roller, neither of which are
> pulsating:
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Centrifugal_pump>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Roller_pump>

Have you bothered to actually read that article? The Roller pump is pretty obviously the one I was talking about. HOW ELSE do you think that you would get the pressure fluctuations that would give the same pressure variations as a pumping heart? Does it even occur to you that this thing is digitally driven to change speeds at the proper time? Apparently you are so busy showing your lack of IQ that you didn't even read that article which said what I have been saying. I don't remember the details? That was 30 years ago. Back when you were impressing everyone with your vast knowledge of looking on the Internet.

It plainly stated the the centrifugal pump was temporary. So did that pass up your vastly superior attention span?

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 14, 2021, 4:13:11 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:10:56 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Tell everyone here why Jeff isn't carrying dozens of patents on
>his designs? Why do you not even have a passing understanding
>of business?

All you have to do is ask. I've never designed anything that was
deemed patentable by my employers. There were a few that might have
been patentable, but most of my designs were applications of existing
technology. The most innovative thing I designed was to convert a
bundle of cables between the old Intech M360 direction finder, to a
single coax cable for the USCG AN/SRD-22 direction finder.
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/AN-SRD-22/>
There were some discussions about patenting that idea, but since the
marine radio division of Intech had no experience, time, or funds for
obtaining a patent, it was decided not to patent it. The rest of the
industry eventually copied my idea. I also designed a low distortion
two-tone SSB test generator, which might have been patentable.
However, since this was never intended to be anything beyond a tool
for marine radio dealers, it was decided not to patent it.

The rest of my "design" work after about 1981(?) was fixing and
cleaning up other engineers designs. Mostly, it was damage control
caused by key people leaving the company, failed deadlines, internal
politics, and management failures. None of the designs I introduced
would be considered innovative. At the same time, I was supplementing
my income fixing computers and doing consulting, neither of which
involved patents. I did get involved in two patent infringement
cases, but it wasn't over anything I had designed.

Now, I have a question. Why do you believe that having a patent
portfolio constitutes an indication of superior competence in
determining whether you know anything about heart-lung machines?
Expanding the question, why do you seem to believe that competence in
an unrelated field somehow confers competence in the current topic of
discussion? This is a persistent theme in your postings and is a
monumental waste of everyone's time.

What was the exact name of the company where you designed the
heart-lung machine and over what period did you work for them so I fit
it into your resume timeline.

BTW, nice change of topic.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 4:24:06 PM3/14/21
My designs aren't patentable since they are the ideas and property of my employers. That Jay is saying something like that gives me extremely strong doubts that he is a lawyer as he has claimed to be. It isn't as if that is rocket science or as if Werner Von Braun could patent the liquid fueled rocket.

jbeattie

Mar 14, 2021, 4:59:21 PM3/14/21
Gawdamighty. Your designs are patentable if they're patentable. It doesn't matter who you're working for. That simply dictates who OWNS the patent rights. You still get credit as the inventor even if your rights are assigned to the employer. And even if you are not named as an inventor because you weren't, and even if you do not own the patent, you should be able to point to the patents for your inventions/designs/devices. Go look them up at the USTPO.

Inventing something new is like giving birth to a child. You have birth records, unless it was some sort of home-birth bastard left in the baby hatch. In the case of a new invention -- like your first-of-its kind heart lung machine -- that birth certificate is a patent, at least as to some parts of the device. I would think that a CPB machine that thumps like a heart would be a unique, patentable device.

And with medical devices, you have a whole layer of FDA approval that leaves a footprint you can go retrace. Start here. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfRL/TextSearch.cfm See if any of your employers got a device approved under the MDA.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 14, 2021, 5:04:09 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:55:00 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 12:29:35 PM UTC-7, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:20:53 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
>> <jbeat...@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Do you just make this stuff up? A heart lung machine does not pulsate
>> >like a heart. It uses a roller pump or a centrifugal pump. How do I
>> >know this? Its on the f****** internet. Any dope can look that up.
>> Two types of pumps. Centrifugal and roller, neither of which are
>> pulsating:
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Centrifugal_pump>
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Roller_pump>
>
>Have you bothered to actually read that article? The Roller pump is
>pretty obviously the one I was talking about. HOW ELSE do you think
>that you would get the pressure fluctuations that would give the same
>pressure variations as a pumping heart?

Yes, a roller pump can produce pulsing flow:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=roller+pump+pulsatile+flow+heart+CPB>
However, it's understandable that I didn't know the correct terms
(puslatile flow and CardioPulmonary Bypass). However, as the designer
of a heart-lung machine, one might expect you to know the correct term
or at least done some searching to jog your memory.

There have been studies which demonstrate that pulsatile flow is safe:
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15202823/> (2004)

However, not everyone believes that pulsatile flow is necessary. For
example:
Cardiopulmonary bypass with physiological flow and pressure curves:
pulse is unnecessary!
<https://academic.oup.com/ejcts/article/37/1/223/366625>

What I haven't been able to find is which of the pump types is most
commonly used.

>Does it even occur to you that this thing is digitally driven to
>change speeds at the proper time?

Nope. Never crossed my mind. Instead of composing yet another
credibility challenge or character assassination, perhaps you could
instead spend the time providing some links worth reading on the
topic?

>Apparently you are so busy showing your lack of IQ that you didn't
>even read that article which said what I have been saying.

Which article that said what that you were saying? This one?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiopulmonary_bypass#Roller_pump>
I see nothing in the roller pump section that says anything about
pulsatile flow pumps.

>I don't remember the details? That was 30 years ago. Back
>when you were impressing everyone with your vast knowledge
>of looking on the Internet.

You designed a heart-lung machine and forgot important details. That's
possible, but this is beginning to sound like the computer repairman
erased my hard disk drive (the dog ate my homework). Take your time,
do a little reading to refresh your memory, and provide us with
something better than an excuse.

>It plainly stated the the centrifugal pump was temporary. So
>did that pass up your vastly superior attention span?

Yes, it did. The very first line states that:
Cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) is a technique in which
a machine temporarily takes over the function of the
heart and lungs during surgery, maintaining the
circulation of blood and the oxygen content of the
patient's body.
The term "temporary" implies that it's used during surgery. Perhaps I
missed it, but are you talking about inventing a heart-lung machine
that is used for some purpose other than during surgery? If so, a URL
pointing to your design would be appreciated.

Jeff Liebermann

Mar 14, 2021, 5:19:43 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My designs aren't patentable since they are the ideas and
>property of my employers.

Have you looked at a patent, any patent?

The first search hit under CPB:
<https://patents.google.com/patent/US6979423B2/en?q=cardiopulmonary+bypass>
Notice the line under the blue box which says "Inventor". That would
be where I would expect to find your name. Below that is the "Current
Assignee" field, which where I would expect to find the current owner.
At the bottom of the patent is "Legal Events" where I would expect to
find the history of any transfers of ownership.

Tom Kunich

Mar 14, 2021, 5:36:29 PM3/14/21
Well, GEEZ Jay, then you should come down to Silicon Valley and get stinking rich making 100,000 engineers owners of money making patents. By the way, why isn't anyone doing that?

On another less mind-bogglingly dead topic, When you told me that BB386EVO bottom brackets required an adapter I should have listened and looked more carefully at the parts I was buying. I FINALY got that plastic BB out with a whole lot of sweat. The Zitto looks almost identical to a Wheels manufacturing and for $31 vs $115 plus tax. Zitto does make one that fits either a 25 mm (Campy Ultradrive) or 24 mm Shimano using the proper sized bearings and not adapters. When I got that plastic POS installed it all looked OK but the crank tipped back and forth. When I used the bearing press to tighten the cranks against the adapters it locked the cranks. So Wheels manufacturing would be better but I can afford the Nitto right now since I'm trying to build two bikes at once now.

Two people emailed me on my Craigslist postings but as usual they didn't return any emails. One of them certainly had the money since he had homeowners and his Madone had been stolen and my Emonda is for sale for less than the replacement of a new Madone with top of the line parts. Oh, that's right, you prefer to put Tiagra on your Madone.

Lou Holtman

Mar 14, 2021, 6:14:18 PM3/14/21
Op zondag 14 maart 2021 om 21:59:21 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:

> Gawdamighty. Your designs are patentable if they're patentable. It doesn't matter who you're working for. That simply dictates who OWNS the patent rights. You still get credit as the inventor even if your rights are assigned to the employer. And even if you are not named as an inventor because you weren't, and even if you do not own the patent, you should be able to point to the patents for your inventions/designs/devices. Go look them up at the USTPO.

That is correct. Working in a R&D department it is my job to 'invent' things. All the rights go to my firm but my name is always on the patent. I'm not Einstein but even I have my name on 10-20 patents. With your search skills you can find them.

Lou

jbeattie

Mar 14, 2021, 6:16:28 PM3/14/21
Its the employers who are becoming rich, and the engineers just show up as inventors -- although some own patents, and many employers pay a flat bonus for patentable inventions or give some other consideration for knocking out patentable inventions. At least that is the way it works with my friends.

> On another less mind-bogglingly dead topic, When you told me that BB386EVO bottom brackets required an adapter I should have listened and looked more carefully at the parts I was buying. I FINALY got that plastic BB out with a whole lot of sweat. The Zitto looks almost identical to a Wheels manufacturing and for $31 vs $115 plus tax. Zitto does make one that fits either a 25 mm (Campy Ultradrive) or 24 mm Shimano using the proper sized bearings and not adapters. When I got that plastic POS installed it all looked OK but the crank tipped back and forth. When I used the bearing press to tighten the cranks against the adapters it locked the cranks. So Wheels manufacturing would be better but I can afford the Nitto right now since I'm trying to build two bikes at once now.

Yikes, what on earth are you doing? A bearing press to tighten the cranks against the adapters? I don't get that. If this is a Shimano crank, you just have the plastic preload cap to press on the crank.

You press in the PF386BB; you put on the adapters; you insert the crank; attach the left arm, and apply enough preload to the cap to prevent rocking -- as Lou mentions, enough to pick up a beer can which is maybe 3nm. If the cranks are locked, you have too much preload.

> Two people emailed me on my Craigslist postings but as usual they didn't return any emails. One of them certainly had the money since he had homeowners and his Madone had been stolen and my Emonda is for sale for less than the replacement of a new Madone with top of the line parts. Oh, that's right, you prefer to put Tiagra on your Madone.

Are you talking to me? I don't own a Madone.

-- Jay Beattie.

Lou Holtman

Mar 14, 2021, 6:27:54 PM3/14/21
Op zondag 14 maart 2021 om 23:16:28 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:

> Its the employers who are becoming rich, and the engineers just show up as inventors -- although some own patents, and many employers pay a flat bonus for patentable inventions or give some other consideration for knocking out patentable inventions. At least that is the way it works with my friends.

We get 1000 euro if your the only inventor which is rare ( we work in teams), 750 euro with 2 people and 500 with 3 or more. Why do you think I can afford my nice bikes? ;-)

Lou

John B.

Mar 14, 2021, 9:10:23 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
Yup, you got it right that time... "My designs aren't patentable"

You poor ignorant fool, Of course your "designs" weren't patentable,
after all what's patentable about a push broom?
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Mar 14, 2021, 9:16:25 PM3/14/21
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:10:56 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
What has Jeff got to do with the fact that there is no proof
whatsoever that you ever invented anything... Excepting, of course,
your resume which definitely is a example of your rather amazing
capability to invent things.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Tom Kunich

Mar 16, 2021, 9:47:25 AM3/16/21
The reason that I made so much money is because I was never about to make the stupid ass claims that you, Frank, Jeff and Jay attribute to me. I NEVER said that I invented shit. I said I designed and programmed devices that were the ideas and inventions of someone else's. While we're at it, I realized that $100,000 was a BUY, That means that there is at LEAST that amount in that account and likely more. So again, just that one account that I don't even remember is worth more than your entire life.

Not one of you have the brains that God gave a goat. And in Jeff's case around him goats are probably nervous like they are around Afghanis'.

John B.

Mar 16, 2021, 8:33:25 PM3/16/21
On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 06:47:23 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
"I made so much money"??

And yet, from your own posts:
You still live in your mother's house, apparently never have been able
to buy your own. You have problems paying for groceries. You live in a
slum area with guns going Bang! all night. It is a high crime area and
it is necessary for you to have a firearm for protection. And I
believe that I have read that even your good self has been arrested.

And yet Frank is retired and even picked, from his description, a
small pleasant village to retire in. Jeff has so much money that he
changes houses like tiddly-winks and Jay.... well jest just say in
Jay's defense, "did you ever see a poor lawyer?"

So there you are, a down and outer, a penny-ante sort of bloke, living
in a hell hole and you want to brag about your money?

Silly boy.
--
Cheers,

John B.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2021, 9:03:19 PM3/16/21
On Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 7:33:25 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 06:47:23 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
>
> And yet, from your own posts:
> You still live in your mother's house, apparently never have been able
> to buy your own.
>
> John B.

Well, to stick up for Tom, he does live in California, in the SF Bay area. And I suspect since the time his momma bought a house, house prices have increased by 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 times. So I'm guessing its probably impossible for almost everyone except Mark Zuckerberg to buy a house out there. And all the kids live in their momma's basements. Except southern California where they build houses without basements. There the kids have to live in the garage or gardening shed. Or maybe a Muammar Gaddafi tent in the backyard.

John B.

Mar 16, 2021, 9:38:55 PM3/16/21
Tom was born in 1944, according to the Internet. He never finished
high school and enlisted in the Air force so he should have been home
and working in, about 1966, some 55 years ago.
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

Mar 16, 2021, 9:44:57 PM3/16/21
You make a good point:

https://compasscaliforniablog.com/what-bay-area-home-prices-looked-like-25-years-ago/

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Tom Kunich

Mar 17, 2021, 11:53:45 AM3/17/21
The area of my home is one of the highest rental properties so home prices remain low relative to other parts of the county. The $750,000 my home would bring couldn't even get me a condo in the better parts of the county. So here I remain. Besides my, taxes are retained by Proposition 13 which the county counsel wants to eliminate so that they can quintuple the taxes like the other counties in the area. Presently they are $3,000 a year.

Tom Kunich

Mar 17, 2021, 11:58:41 AM3/17/21
On Tuesday, March 16, 2021 at 6:44:57 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
I was curious why the cups I got for the Merckx almost fell through the BB and then fiddling with the numbers figures out that there is about 2 mm difference in the inside diameter of British and Italian BB's I had never though about that before.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 17, 2021, 3:28:23 PM3/17/21
Wow.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Mar 17, 2021, 6:57:29 PM3/17/21
Tel us Frank - did you ever think of that? Rather than just putting Italian threaded Bottom Brackets into Italian shells and British bottom brackets into British sells, you sat around and calculated the difference as it you could somehow fit reverse threads into each other? Most people would consider that foolish and you've proven more than once that term applies in spades to you. How much money are you worth Frank? Do you have enough to pay subsidies to illegal aliens? Do you believe that your school is going to be able to continue paying your retirement after they go broke?

John B.

Mar 17, 2021, 7:02:21 PM3/17/21
Eddy Merckx bicycles aren't Italian... they are made in Belgium. I
guess you will have to locate a Belgium Bottom Bracket.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Tom Kunich

Mar 17, 2021, 7:08:11 PM3/17/21
Show us more of your overwhelming intelligence John, I'm sure that somewhere out there, there is bound to be someone stupid enough to read your gibberish and see it as funny.

News 2021

Mar 17, 2021, 7:30:09 PM3/17/21
On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:08:10 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:

> On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 4:02:21 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 08:58:38 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich

>> >I was curious why the cups I got for the Merckx almost fell through
>> >the BB and then fiddling with the numbers figures out that there is
>> >about 2 mm difference in the inside diameter of British and Italian
>> >BB's I had never though about that before.
>> Eddy Merckx bicycles aren't Italian... they are made in Belgium. I
>> guess you will have to locate a Belgium Bottom Bracket.
> Show us more of your overwhelming intelligence John, I'm sure that
> somewhere out there, there is bound to be someone stupid enough to read
> your gibberish and see it as funny.

VBG.

AMuzi

Mar 17, 2021, 8:17:14 PM3/17/21
Mr Merckx had Ugo DeRosa set up the facility once he had
bought back the rights to his name. Everything was Italian-
Marchetti+Lange fixtures, Cinelli cast frame parts, Columbus
tube etc and of course Italian spec threading.

Belgians are two nations trapped in the same country.
Bicycle factories in recent memory produced French metric
frames (Flemish) and BSC (Walloons) concurrently. Italian
makes as much sense as anything else in Belgium.

John B.

Mar 17, 2021, 8:50:49 PM3/17/21
Bottom Bracket threads? Illegal aliens? Colleges going broke?

Yup Tommy an intelligent, well thought out, and topical reply.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 17, 2021, 10:30:17 PM3/17/21
On 3/17/2021 6:57 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 12:28:23 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

>>> I was curious why the cups I got for the Merckx almost fell through the BB and then fiddling with the numbers figures out that there is about 2 mm difference in the inside diameter of British and Italian BB's I had never though about that before.
>> Wow.
>
> Tel us Frank - did you ever think of that?

Tom, if I had your history of screwups on bike components, I'd do
something that would astonish you.

I'd measure things and look up specs in detail before buying anything.

Really, there's no need to continue your present method. You've retired
the trophy for mis-matched parts. Nobody else is even close.

> Do you believe that your school is going to be able to continue paying your retirement after they go broke?

At this point, the school I retired from has nothing to do with our
retirement fund. You could look that up too.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

Mar 17, 2021, 11:39:03 PM3/17/21
But Frank a bicycle frame is such a complex device, why, it has two
moving part.
--
Cheers,

John B.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 3:35:50 AM3/18/21
But Andy, your article is dated June 2016. 5 years ago. But still they listed 500, 600, 700 900 thousand and 1.1, 1.2 million average prices for houses 5 years ago. Average. Not nice and fancy and high end houses. Just average houses. So in the past 5 years have the house prices doubled again?

ritzann...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 3:46:06 AM3/18/21
On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 10:53:45 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> The area of my home is one of the highest rental properties so home prices remain low relative to other parts of the county. The $750,000 my home would bring couldn't even get me a condo in the better parts of the county. So here I remain. Besides my, taxes are retained by Proposition 13 which the county counsel wants to eliminate so that they can quintuple the taxes like the other counties in the area. Presently they are $3,000 a year.

Hmmmm. My house has a market price of about $250,000. I pay $4,400 per year in property taxes. So you yip and yap about how terrible the taxes are in California under your evil Democratic governor when I pay about 50% higher property taxes on my house that has a market price one third as much, and a Republican governor. I'm going to tell you to shut your hole up.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 3:49:30 AM3/18/21
On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 5:57:29 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > I was curious why the cups I got for the Merckx almost fell through the BB and then fiddling with the numbers figures out that there is about 2 mm difference in the inside diameter of British and Italian BB's I had never though about that before.
> > Wow.
> Tel us Frank - did you ever think of that? Rather than just putting Italian threaded Bottom Brackets into Italian shells and British bottom brackets into British sells, you sat around and calculated the difference as it you could somehow fit reverse threads into each other? Most people would consider that foolish and you've proven more than once that term applies in spades to you. How much money are you worth Frank? Do you have enough to pay subsidies to illegal aliens? Do you believe that your school is going to be able to continue paying your retirement after they go broke?

To be honest I always thought the difference between British and Italian threading in bottom brackets was the threading itself. Different thread spacing. And the Italians go the opposite direction on one side. I always assumed the bottom bracket shell was the same diameter.

Tom Kunich

Mar 18, 2021, 9:37:30 AM3/18/21
Why did you avoid the question Frank? That is the same as admitting that you only thought that the difference between English and Italian threads was the shape of the threads like everyone else.

Tom Kunich

Mar 18, 2021, 9:42:28 AM3/18/21
Russell, we saw those sorts of property taxes coming here and passed Proposition 13 which fixed property taxes except for inflation. Remember that if you make $50,000/yr here that you also pay 9% state income tax, 11% sales tax and 51 cents per gallon gas tax. What do you pay there?

jbeattie

Mar 18, 2021, 10:49:23 AM3/18/21
I knew the difference from books and owning Italian BB and English BB bikes but mostly from using Phil BBs. You would distinguish the generic looking rings by size. It's a pretty obvious size difference. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/7343/products/phil_retaining_rings_1296x.JPG?v=1568733722

With the Merckx -- or any European brand -- I would check the specs before buying a BB and before buying the frame. I'd also want to know the seat post diameter and steerer diameter(s). On more recent frames, you really need to make sure you're not getting a lot of proprietary dimensions and parts. I'd be reluctant to get a bike with 15mm front through axle or any of the now discarded Specialized SCS or a bike built for electronic with no cable stops. The list goes on. Tom has discovered many of them, usually after buying.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tom Kunich

Mar 18, 2021, 11:34:04 AM3/18/21
WTF are you talking about? I had all of the parts and misordered the BB because I assumed that EM had changed to british BB's by the 2000's. Aluminum bike will come in near the same weight as my Look KG485 and in that state you would assume the same thing yourself. Quite trying to pretend that you know anything about all about building bicycles when you've never done anything of the sort.

jbeattie

Mar 18, 2021, 12:34:57 PM3/18/21
I've never bought an English BB for an Italian BB bike, so I guess you know more than I do. And no, I would not assume a Merckx came with an English BB. E.g. https://aroundthecycle.com/products/used-2003-eddy-merckx-elite-58cm-aluminum-road-bike-frameset-700c-qr-rim-brake?variant=32525399818300 I also would not buy a 13 year old 7000 series aluminum frame bike. Why do that?

I would never be in one of your through-the-looking glass problem-filled bike builds using mutt frames from yester-years. My bike builds usually take a few hours and not days or weeks or months like yours -- delayed because you just don't seem to be able to match parts -- like the hose mismatch with your Avid brakes when I TOLD YOU that they do not use Shimano hose or ends, or you're mixing and matching BB386 or thinking your Redline had some non-standard BB. Look at all your posts. It's like "I couldn't get this 650B tire on my 700C rim so I had to call the Chinese seller on eBay and ask for my money back, and now I'll have to wait six months for a 700C tire. Damned Obama and the recession!"

-- Jay Beattie.

News 2021

Mar 18, 2021, 12:40:35 PM3/18/21
On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:30:12 -0400, Frank Krygowski scribed:
Only an idiot has their retirement funding linked to their place of work.
What happens if the business goes broke?

The first super fund I was in, the fund was run by the company and
invested solely into the company. I read the fine print and found out if
I left within the year, i was given back all my contribution, So Ii did.
The real win was the company had made all the contributions.

On one contract, the company was folded by its overseas head office and
all the workers superannuation went bye bye. Some of them had given their
entire working life to the company. It was all blamed on the expensive
stuff up that was their Y2K preparation which was foisted on top of a
major rebuild of the business back-end systems, almost all run by OS
back packers on holiday visas.

AMuzi

Mar 18, 2021, 1:02:46 PM3/18/21
BSC is 1.370" x 24tpi (34.8mm roughly) RH cup is reversed
ITA is m36 x 24tpi both sides RH.

So in fact the thread pitch and form are identical on a
different diameter (plus the reverse aspect).

Over in metricland, French metric are m35x1.
The most logical format is Swiss, m35x1 with RH cup
reversed. It's so logical that virtually no one uses it.

There are other formats (Raleigh, ChaterLea etc) but of less
significance.

Frank Krygowski

Mar 18, 2021, 1:24:54 PM3/18/21
Exactly. I've got reference books (remember them?) including a Sutherland's manual that I refer to any
time I have questions on bike components. I also have use of this thing called Google! With it, you can
find lots of information. And you can cite and post links to the information in places where others will
help you understand what you're reading.

Tom, your policy seems to be to buy some random component and see if it fits in one of the random
frames you bought. When it doesn't fit, you post your confusion here. Jay or Andrew explain how you went
wrong yet again.

Then you blame Obama or Biden for your self-inflicted problems.

Seriously: You seem to churn through bike purchases and sales, hoping to somehow make money. I don't
think that would make sense even if you were an excellent mechanic - which, clearly, you are not.

- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Mar 18, 2021, 1:44:18 PM3/18/21
Jay, your entire life has become as shallow as a wading pool. I think that it is time you pal around with John.

Tom Kunich

Mar 18, 2021, 1:46:20 PM3/18/21
But nothing gives you more pleasure than listing my "self inflicted problems" does it? On the other hand I have the money, time and space to do these things. And you can't even ride a touring bike.

Roger Merriman

Mar 18, 2021, 8:12:06 PM3/18/21
Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 2:53:13 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 11:09:27 -0500, Frank Krygowski
>> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> I think the narrowest tires ever used for more than a short time were
>>> 25mm. I've spent most of my road riding time on 28s, some on 32s, a bit
>>> on 35s or 37s when doing loaded touring.
>>>
>>> It seems the latest data indicates the super narrow tires have no lower
>>> rolling resistance than similarly constructed wider tires, unless you're
>>> on a surface as smooth as a velodrome track. And wider tires tend to be
>>> less flat prone and more comfortable.
>> Well,I never thought that 23's were "super narrow" as I had ridden
>> 19mm sew ups at one time :-) and as for rolling resistance I have the
>> suspicions that it is a highly over rated consideration. Does a 25mm
>> tire (pumped up to 100 psi) really decrease your speed on your 2 mile
>> Sunday ride to Church? And as for"more comfortable" I remember a bloke
>> named Frank, telling the world how tension your thigh muscles a bit
>> and sort of decompress your buttocks when riding over bumps. My own
>> humble opinion is if you want springs then buy a mountain bike. They
>> come with front and back suspension.
>
> Tests of rolling resistance mean almost nothing because they do not
> reflect real world conditions. There is no rider on the test machine and
> there are no real road conditions. That is why the road Pros discovered
> that wide tires are actually faster. Not because of the tiny difference
> in rolling resistance but because in the road world on normal road
> conditions the rider is being thrown up and down and that is similar to
> putting the brakes on. Pro's used to somewhat make up for this by riding
> extremely smoothly being very careful with their pedal strokes etc. But
> with the wider tires (most pro's in the Tour use 26 mm sewups they are a
> lot more free to ride any way they like. Smooth circular pedal strokes no
> longer gain them as much and you can watch some of them riding as "mashers".

Pros seem as a group rather conservative, regarding kit, see Chris Froome
and disk brakes for recent examples. Ie tendency to resist rather than
embrace change.

To the best of my knowledge tubs have been overtaken by clinchers in terms
of raw speed, for some years now, according to manufacturers etc.

I do have some sympathy for pros and disks/though axels which I suspect for
a Pro offers little advantages for them, but increases time and complexity
of wheel changes.

This said according to some tubeless plus sealant would be a fire and
forget solution, not yet been convinced the faff is worth it yet for
myself.

Roger Merriman

Tom Kunich

Mar 19, 2021, 12:17:55 PM3/19/21
Roger, while certain clinchers and tubeless have slightly less rolling resistance they are saved for time trials. With these arguments on here a pro-mechanic wrote me and explained that they still use sewups in the peleton because if you get a flat, the tire doesn't fall off of the time leaving you with no control at all. And when the mechanic does replace a flat inside of the car in the back seat he can replace the flat with a pre-glued new sewup, inflate it with a CO2 cannister and then lean out the window and replace the now new tire in the rack to replace any further flats with.

Once in awhile some pro mechanics will look in here but seeing people like John and the other morons go away in a hurry. They used to comment in the past before people like Frank and John took over. Usually they didn't much agree with Jobst since he had an ego the size of a house. But Jobst was usually successful in chasing them away. The shop I have do any repairs I don't have equipment for such as an Italian thread cleaner, was a pro mechanic for 7-11 and he didn't have much good to say about Jobst and his hill climbing in a 54.

Roger Merriman

Mar 23, 2021, 5:34:38 PM3/23/21
Yes I did mention that, to be honest the needs/wants of the peloton and
roadies is somewhat diverging, in that for the pros a slow wheel change can
be race over, for the standard roadie it’s a non event. Equally the need
for stuff like disks is far less for pros, really.

> Once in awhile some pro mechanics will look in here but seeing people
> like John and the other morons go away in a hurry. They used to comment
> in the past before people like Frank and John took over. Usually they
> didn't much agree with Jobst since he had an ego the size of a house. But
> Jobst was usually successful in chasing them away. The shop I have do any
> repairs I don't have equipment for such as an Italian thread cleaner, was
> a pro mechanic for 7-11 and he didn't have much good to say about Jobst
> and his hill climbing in a 54.

Roger Merriman

ritzann...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 3:51:38 AM3/24/21
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 8:42:28 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Russell, we saw those sorts of property taxes coming here and passed Proposition 13 which fixed property taxes except for inflation. Remember that if you make $50,000/yr here that you also pay 9% state income tax, 11% sales tax and 51 cents per gallon gas tax. What do you pay there?

Iowa has 6% sales tax rate. Gas tax at 30.5 cents per gallon. 20.5 cents difference between CA and IA, drive 15000 miles per year, car gets 25 mpg, use 600 gallons per year, you pay $123 total more per year in CA than IA. You pay $10 per month more for gas taxes than me. Big FFFing deal. Are you really whining about $10 extra per month? Come on man. The 5% extra sales tax is meaningful. If your $50,000 man spent $30,000 of his money on stuff and paid an extra $1500 sales tax that would amount to something. I don't want to pay an EXTRA $1500.

State income tax is tiered of course. If you only earned $50,000 per year you would pay an overall tax rate of 5.1166% on the total $50,000 income. But the last few dollars of that $50,000 income and you would be into the 7.44% tier. And anything over $73,710 and you pay a marginal rate of 8.53%. I do not know if the 9% you list is the overall average rate a person earning $50,000 pays in taxes or is simply the tier they are in. Like the 7.44% tier I list. Difference between 9% and 7.44% is not too much. And your 9% tier and the 8.53% tier in Iowa is basically nothing. I'm guessing California and all the other states structure their taxes in a marginal way to hit the lower incomes as hard as possible and not to take much at all from the wealthier. A person in Iowa pays 8.53% taxes on their $75,000 income at the margin. And a $100,000 income person also pays 8.53% taxes at the margin. And a $1 million person also pays 8.53% income tax margin too. That is fair to you?
It is loading more messages.