oh my gosh how is this possible

Mark cleary

Jul 11, 2021, 4:35:04 PM7/11/21
So today on strava I see Neilson Powless in the TDF does a 16 mile climb with average grade of 4.6% in 61 minutes. I realize these guys are the world stars in cycling but that seems impossible. I wonder what gears he use for the majority of the climb. You think he has a compact crank on the bike or a standard double? If he has an 11-28 with a 53-39 I guess he is not human.
Deacon Mark

jbeattie

Jul 11, 2021, 5:27:32 PM7/11/21
On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 1:35:04 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
> So today on strava I see Neilson Powless in the TDF does a 16 mile climb with average grade of 4.6% in 61 minutes. I realize these guys are the world stars in cycling but that seems impossible. I wonder what gears he use for the majority of the climb. You think he has a compact crank on the bike or a standard double? If he has an 11-28 with a 53-39 I guess he is not human.
> Deacon Mark

BTW, Sepp Kuss, today's stage winner, is a friend of my son's former roommate, current work cohort and Pro U23 national champ, Zach Calton who just got second to Peter Stetina in the Crusher in the Tushar -- a killer gravel race in Utah, which he won in 2018. https://www.cyclingutah.com/crusher-in-the-tushar/updated-2021-crusher-in-the-tushar-report-results/ Neilson Powless is really, really good, but he finished three minutes behind Sepp.

Yes, all of these guys are genetic freaks. It's not like the local Cat. 1/2 hero who can kick your ass. The pro-tour guys are from another planet.

Product placement and bike content: https://bikerumor.com/2021/07/09/mark-cavendishs-3x-tour-de-france-stage-winning-specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl7/ The S-Works Tarmac has the most stage wins so far.

-- Jay Beattie.

Lou Holtman

Jul 11, 2021, 6:06:07 PM7/11/21
On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 11:27:32 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
> On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 1:35:04 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
> > So today on strava I see Neilson Powless in the TDF does a 16 mile climb with average grade of 4.6% in 61 minutes. I realize these guys are the world stars in cycling but that seems impossible. I wonder what gears he use for the majority of the climb. You think he has a compact crank on the bike or a standard double? If he has an 11-28 with a 53-39 I guess he is not human.
> > Deacon Mark
> BTW, Sepp Kuss, today's stage winner, is a friend of my son's former roommate, current work cohort and Pro U23 national champ, Zach Calton who just got second to Peter Stetina in the Crusher in the Tushar -- a killer gravel race in Utah, which he won in 2018. https://www.cyclingutah.com/crusher-in-the-tushar/updated-2021-crusher-in-the-tushar-report-results/ Neilson Powless is really, really good, but he finished three minutes behind Sepp.
>
> Yes, all of these guys are genetic freaks. It's not like the local Cat. 1/2 hero who can kick your ass. The pro-tour guys are from another planet.

My rule of thumb is that the pro riders ride twice as fast I do. So 16 miles = 25.74 km in 61 minutes is 25.32 km/hr. That means that I have to ride 12.66 km/hr. That I could do for a 4.6% grade. 16 miles = 25.6 km would be the problem for me. 2 hr climb.... pfff.

> Product placement and bike content: https://bikerumor.com/2021/07/09/mark-cavendishs-3x-tour-de-france-stage-winning-specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl7/ The S-Works Tarmac has the most stage wins so far.

Please stop plugging Specialized. Cavendish was lucky Caleb Ewan crashed and had to leave the TdF.

Lou

jbeattie

Jul 11, 2021, 6:42:58 PM7/11/21
Lucky a lot! And hey, Canyon got some stages, too. And BTW, Julian Alaphilippe, Nils Politt and Mark Cavendish all won stages on Tarmacs. Buy American(ish)! I'm also plugging Trek (Stage 14 -- Mollema is such a fighter). Apart from Sepp Kuss, its not like I can sit around and gloat about all the US riders. NL is like a monster factory. You can gloat about that. I'll plug bikes.

I'm also plugging Specialized because my son is visiting, and he just got a promotion -- and he brought me yet anther pair of shoes. https://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/SCQ/SCQ000A/WHI.jpg We're drinking the Specialized Kool-Aid around this household. But I still love Trek. It's hard . . . like having two wives.

-- Jay Beattie.

Lou Holtman

Jul 11, 2021, 7:00:39 PM7/11/21

Op maandag 12 juli 2021 om 00:42:58 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
It was a nice win of Sepp Kuss and also from Bauke, Wout, Mathieu etc. It is a very enjoyable TdF so far.

Lou

Tom Kunich

Jul 11, 2021, 11:48:49 PM7/11/21
Specialized is an American company that has its bikes made in China. For that matter the majority of bikes INCLUDING LOOK have their bikes made in China.

Tom Kunich

Jul 11, 2021, 11:51:50 PM7/11/21
Sepp's advantage was that Andorra is his training ground and so he knew the descent well enough that he could BARELY stay in front of Valverde who lost with more aplomb than most people win.

Tom Kunich

Jul 12, 2021, 12:08:37 AM7/12/21
On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 1:35:04 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
> So today on strava I see Neilson Powless in the TDF does a 16 mile climb with average grade of 4.6% in 61 minutes. I realize these guys are the world stars in cycling but that seems impossible. I wonder what gears he use for the majority of the climb. You think he has a compact crank on the bike or a standard double? If he has an 11-28 with a 53-39 I guess he is not human.
> Deacon Mark
A 4.6% average grade is not much. I do about 8 mph on that sort of grade and as I've mentioned, I'm 86 That would make it 2 hours for a 16 mile climb for me. The trouble is that such a climb has 12% sections in it and long distances of less than 4%. I hardly notice 3%. And it is difficult to notice the difference between flat ground and 2%. And I no longer have that explosive acceleration on hills I used to have where I would let the lead group get 1/4 mile in front and pass them before the top.

There is a local 3 mile climb with 12% 9% and 8% sections in it. I used to ride up that in a 39-25. Now remember that I am disabled from a lung injury doing government work. So It isn't the speed that they are doing that is so fantastic, it is the DISTANCE that they ride fast and then climb fast.

Their real ability is their rate of recovery after those efforts.

Lou Holtman

Jul 12, 2021, 4:01:08 AM7/12/21
Well, Sepp Kuss gained time in the climb. He had a 25 sec lead on top of that last climb and he is a good descender himself and could hold that lead. He won not just because he was on his training ground. Valverde admitted that after the race. Great guy.

Lou

Tom Kunich

Jul 12, 2021, 10:39:14 AM7/12/21
Well, that wasn't what I meant if you interpreted it that way. No one beats Valverde unless he is in absolutely top condition. But Kuss managed to stay ahead of Valverde's exceptional descending skills by knowing every turn and where he could coast because it was too steep to pedal. That gave him a chance to rest a little whereas Valverde had to be in the middle of that section before he would stop pedaling. Racing is a game of saving energy and in that place and against the competition, saving a second here and there is all it took.

Lou Holtman

Jul 12, 2021, 11:50:36 AM7/12/21
What gives you the idea that Valverde has greater descending skills than Kuss? Valverda is 41 years old has wife and kids to think of and as he stated after the stage ' I wanted to win but also didn't wanted to fall'. While he congratulated Kuss he said 'you have great balls'. He had to gain 25 seconds in the descent but he would not take the risk to do that.

Lou

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jul 12, 2021, 12:17:32 PM7/12/21
Kuss' bike handling skills are beyond reproach - he won the MTB collegiate nationals in 2015 _and_ 2016. Not taking anything away from ValVerde, but Kuss clearly has the skills to hold his own on a sketchy downhill.

Bertrand

Jul 12, 2021, 12:49:07 PM7/12/21
On 7/11/2021 16:35, Mark cleary wrote:
> So today on strava I see Neilson Powless in the TDF does a 16 mile climb with average grade of 4.6% in 61 minutes. I realize these guys are the world stars in cycling but that seems impossible. I wonder what gears he use for the majority of the climb. You think he has a compact crank on the bike or a standard double? If he has an 11-28 with a 53-39 I guess he is not human.
> Deacon Mark

A good rule of thumb for normal road bike tires is that a pedaling cadence of
90/min with a 1:1 gear ratio gives about 7 mph. So 16 mph would be about a 2.3
ratio. This means gearing like 53/23, 39/17, or 34/15. The grade varies, of
course, but 4.6% isn't very steep. I've read that for the steepest climbs in
the Giro or Vuelta some riders use gearing as low as 34/32. According to this
article, most of the Trek-Segafredo riders in the Tour are using 52-39
chainrings with a 10-33 cassette:

https://road.cc/content/feature/264094-what-sprocket-gearing-choices-pros-tour-de-france

Lou Holtman

Jul 12, 2021, 2:09:22 PM7/12/21
Exactly. Beyond that even if its your training ground, you never can ride the lines you can do in a race in a training with all the traffic especially in Andorra. Kuss had no luck or advantage he won fair and square.

Lou

Roger Merriman

Jul 14, 2021, 10:15:23 AM7/14/21
That is quite a few back, and and you do loose it quickly if you don’t
regularly practice, and to be honest until recently XC racing was fairly
untechnical.

See Peter Sagan’s humbling at the Olympic where he arguably was fitter
stronger rider but totally outclassed, technically.

Roger Merriman

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jul 14, 2021, 10:47:43 AM7/14/21
On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 10:15:23 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:
> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Kuss' bike handling skills are beyond reproach - he won the MTB
> > collegiate nationals in 2015 _and_ 2016. Not taking anything away from
> > ValVerde, but Kuss clearly has the skills to hold his own on a sketchy downhill.
> >
> That is quite a few back, and and you do loose it quickly if you don’t
> regularly practice

He lives and trains in Durango CO. He regularly trains on technical downhills, both road and off-road. There are many interviews available where he talks about his training.

> and to be honest until recently XC racing was fairly
> untechnical.

I guess it could be considered somewhat subjective, but elite level XC does (and always did) incorporate technical downhill sections. To call them "un"techincal might only be correct in the context of DH specific events. There's plenty of video available as far back as the 90's. If anything, long-course XC has become _more_ technical as suspension systems have evolved.

> See Peter Sagan’s humbling at the Olympic where he arguably was fitter
> stronger rider but totally outclassed, technically.

Um, no. Sagan was far from "humbled". He flatted. On the first lap he blasted from the last line to a group of 3 leading the race in the first lap. That doesn't happen without some serious technical skills. In a pre-race interview, the eventual winner Nino Schurter said something like 'if sagan is anywhere close on the last lap, the gold will be his'.

From https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/olympics/peter-sagan-suffers-disastrous-day-in-olympic-mtb-after-bright-start-276795

"Peter Sagan had a blistering start and for the whole of the first lap Sagan was in the top three. Unfortunately at the start of the second lap Sagan suffered from a front wheel puncture".

Valverde admitted he would have had to take some serious risks to catch Kuss, if he managed to catch him at all. If Valverde thought he could have caught Kuss with enough time to vie for the win, he would have.

Roger Merriman

Jul 14, 2021, 12:27:22 PM7/14/21
funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 10:15:23 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> funkma...@hotmail.com <funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Kuss' bike handling skills are beyond reproach - he won the MTB
>>> collegiate nationals in 2015 _and_ 2016. Not taking anything away from
>>> ValVerde, but Kuss clearly has the skills to hold his own on a sketchy downhill.
>>>
>> That is quite a few back, and and you do loose it quickly if you don’t
>> regularly practice
>
> He lives and trains in Durango CO. He regularly trains on technical
> downhills, both road and off-road. There are many interviews available
> where he talks about his training.
>
>> and to be honest until recently XC racing was fairly
>> untechnical.
>
> I guess it could be considered somewhat subjective, but elite level XC
> does (and always did) incorporate technical downhill sections. To call
> them "un"techincal might only be correct in the context of DH specific
> events. There's plenty of video available as far back as the 90's. If
> anything, long-course XC has become _more_ technical as suspension systems have evolved.

It has but only in the last decade or so, which has been a shift.

>> See Peter Sagan’s humbling at the Olympic where he arguably was fitter
>> stronger rider but totally outclassed, technically.
>
> Um, no. Sagan was far from "humbled". He flatted. On the first lap he
> blasted from the last line to a group of 3 leading the race in the first
> lap. That doesn't happen without some serious technical skills. In a
> pre-race interview, the eventual winner Nino Schurter said something like
> 'if sagan is anywhere close on the last lap, the gold will be his'.
>
> From
> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/olympics/peter-sagan-suffers-disastrous-day-in-olympic-mtb-after-bright-start-276795
>
> "Peter Sagan had a blistering start and for the whole of the first lap
> Sagan was in the top three. Unfortunately at the start of the second lap
> Sagan suffered from a front wheel puncture".

Which was Arguably not luck but judgment, ie takes experience to learn how
to ride smoothly and not pinch puncture, roadies are generally quite easy
to spot off road as they are glued to the saddle and have a rather wooden
look.

> Valverde admitted he would have had to take some serious risks to catch
> Kuss, if he managed to catch him at all. If Valverde thought he could
> have caught Kuss with enough time to vie for the win, he would have.

I’m sure, and am not arguing.

Roger Merriman

Tom Kunich

Jul 14, 2021, 5:02:43 PM7/14/21
Valverde was closing down on Kuss very rapidly and then suddenly backed off. They didn't show what happened but I suspect he scare himself somehow.

Lou Holtman

Jul 15, 2021, 3:10:45 AM7/15/21
The shown time differences are GPS based which is inaccurate in a twisty descent.

Lou

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jul 16, 2021, 8:39:12 AM7/16/21
Seen in another newsgroup:
"Strava - because corners don't matter"

Roger Merriman

Jul 16, 2021, 9:34:53 AM7/16/21
I’d say less so than it used to be, some of my older GPS units would loose
lock and/or give improbable figures MTBing which being uk tends to be
twisty under tree cover.

More modern units seem spot on.

Roger Merriman.

Tom Kunich

Jul 16, 2021, 11:48:22 AM7/16/21
I am unaware of conditions in Europe but since I NEVER lose lock here I imagine it is so there as well since the GPS system is based upon geosynchronous orbiting satellites.

Roger Merriman

Jul 18, 2021, 2:42:19 PM7/18/21
Older units hated woods and the trail Center banks and berms, coupled with
a soggy day and you could get the odd drift.

On road unless you went though a tunnel unlikely.

But modern units use both GPS and glonass and are simply better and holding
a lock and not drifting.

Roger Merriman.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 18, 2021, 3:42:40 PM7/18/21
On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 08:48:20 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am unaware of conditions in Europe but since I NEVER lose lock here I imagine it is so there as well since the GPS system is based upon geosynchronous orbiting satellites.

Wrong. GPS satellites do NOT fly in a 35,000 kilometer high
geosynchronous orbit. GPS satellites fly at an altitude of 20,200 km
also known as MEO (medium earth orbit). If GPS birds were in a
geosynchronous orbit, where they appear to not be moving in the sky,
there would be no doppler shift from which to calculate your location.

There are several advances in GPS receivers which might explain why
you don't lose lock. The big improvement is in high sensitivity
receivers:
<https://www.furuno.com/en/gnss/technical/tec_high>
"A high sensitivity receiver is a GPS receiver that can extract and
calculate a position from a weak signal that is 1/1000 of a typical
outdoor signal."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_navigation_device#Sensitivity>
High sensitivity GPS receivers also have a very fast lock time. Even
if you lose lock, the receiver can reacquire lock fast enough that you
probably won't notice. There are other factors, such as more GPS
satellites, additional services (Galileo, GLONASS, BEIDOU, QZSS), DSP
tricks, higher performance processors, that will improve the ability
to retain lock.

However, the one that works the best is to assume that you're riding
or driving on or near a road. This is also the way some cell phone
location systems improve their accuracy. Electronic maps of the
world's roads are commonly available and regularly updated.
<https://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=12&lat=37.74128&lon=-122.13955&layers=B0000>
By assuming that anything at ground level and moving above about 8
km/hr is on a bicycle or car, it's then a simple matter to either
limit the path traveled to the nearest road, throw out any position
reports that are not fairly close to the road (reflections), connect
the dots along the road due to loss of signal, or some combination of
these. Think of this as rounding off geographically.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Lou Holtman

Jul 18, 2021, 4:18:27 PM7/18/21
I have 'lock on road' disabled on my Garmin Edge 1030 (it is a PIA in city centers) with GPS and Galileo and you can see here that the signal is lost quite fast. In one of the rides last year in the Dolomites just before the summit of the Passo Falzarego you have to go through a small tunnel (about 50 meters). Looking at it here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/caG6CHeuo5gUUpr5A

and the signal is lost almost immediately and it takes some time to lock again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bVE9pBZpXJbJvz4Z7

Lou

Tom Kunich

Jul 18, 2021, 6:04:35 PM7/18/21
OK, But the doppler shift is just something that needs to be compensated for. In most cases I assume simply by having a wide band receiver.

Tom Kunich

Jul 18, 2021, 6:05:22 PM7/18/21
In mountains like that I could see you losing lock.

AMuzi

Jul 18, 2021, 7:00:00 PM7/18/21
Campagnolo Doppler shifters can't move enough cable for
modern 11/12 speed systems.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tom Kunich

Jul 18, 2021, 7:25:37 PM7/18/21
The Douglas I took out today has the Record Ultra 10 speed levers on it. They are like new. But they don't shift for shit. They were skipping hard in the next to lowest gear until I used the downtube adjuster to adjust it. Then it would screw up in the middle range. This is a Record Cassette!

None of this happens with the newer Centaur Ergo Power shifters. I assume that the only operational difference between the Centaur 10 (which is only available as an 11 now) and the 10 speed Veloce is the weight. The latest Campy levers appear to all be metal now. I suppose that is because the carbon finish was failing so rapidly and making them look crappy. But the paint finish is thin and scratches easily.

They are auctioning off the Centaur carbon levers for more than the price of the new 12 speed Chorus levers so, on my list upon selling a bike is to try the new wide ratio Chorus setup

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 18, 2021, 7:31:10 PM7/18/21
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:04:33 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 12:42:40 PM UTC-7, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
>> If GPS birds were in a
>> geosynchronous orbit, where they appear to not be moving in the sky,
>> there would be no doppler shift from which to calculate your location.

Argh. I erred. The above partly wrong. Doppler is used in GPS for
finding velocity, not location. Sorry(tm). With the satellites in
fixed positions in the sky, such as in geosynchronous orbits, we would
still be able to find our location, but have problems calculating
velocity.

>OK, But the doppler shift is just something that needs to be compensated for. In most cases I assume simply by having a wide band receiver.

An over simplified description of how GPS works is by measuring the RF
time of flight between the GPS satellite and the receiver on the
ground. A single time delay forms a circular track on the ground. By
obtaining additional circular ground tracks, a 2D position can be
found by trilateration from 3 satellites. A 3D position requires 4
satellites. The rest of the calculation is compensation for
relativistic effects and atmospheric diffraction. This video covers
this nicely:
"How Does GPS Work?"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU_pY2sTwTA> (4:50)

Doppler comes into the picture when computing velocity. There are
various algorithms, but Doppler is the simplest and most common:

"How does a GNSS receiver estimate velocity"
<https://insidegnss.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/marapr15-SOLUTIONS.pdf>

"Doppler-Aided Positioning"
<https://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-systemalgorithms-methodsinnovation-doppler-aided-positioning-11601/>
"GPS and other global navigation satellite systems use the Doppler
shift of the received carrier frequencies to determine the velocity of
a moving receiver. Doppler-derived velocity is far more accurate than
that obtained by simply differencing two position estimates."

I don't know what you mean by "simply by having a wide band receiver".
The GPS signal is spread spectrum, which has a wide occupied
bandwidth. There are various signal in the GPS band, which is 24MHz
wide. For a receiver to hear all the various GPS signals, the front
end would have to be 24MHz. Actually, it need to be more than 24MHz
wide so that there are no problems with group delay (variable delays
over the receiver bandwidth) and to handle partly overlapping signals
from other services, such as Galileo. Best shown with a graph:
<https://www.everythingrf.com/community/gps-frequency-bands>
<https://www.tallysman.com/gnss-constellations-radio-frequencies-and-signals/>
Yes, it's a mess.

Tom Kunich

Jul 18, 2021, 8:11:25 PM7/18/21
I worked on Doppler radar before. Also tracking radar and full scan radar. You don't have to explain anything to me about how GPS works. Doppler effect has nothing to do with it. It has to do with triangulation alone. Doppler effect only screws up receiving the signal if you don't account for it. When a satellite rises above the horizon what effect does doppler have? Early GPS could only triangulate with 3 satellites at once. Then the microprocessors got fast enough to triangulate on my satellites at once.

In that picture that Lou showed, plainly you could lose an entire hemisphere of signals and triangulation would be impossible. Though NOW we have so many satellites in orbit and the sensitivity of the receivers are so good that it is unlikely not to have at least a three point triangulation. Consider losing a triangulation from one angle and simply rotate that triangle 40 degrees or so because of all of the GPS satellites now in orbit. My mistake about the GPS was because of information to which I am privy and most aren't.

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 18, 2021, 8:27:44 PM7/18/21
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:18:26 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
<lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I have 'lock on road' disabled on my Garmin Edge 1030 (it is a PIA in city centers) with GPS and Galileo and you can see here that the signal is lost quite fast. In one of the rides last year in the Dolomites just before the summit of the Passo Falzarego you have to go through a small tunnel (about 50 meters). Looking at it here:
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/caG6CHeuo5gUUpr5A
>
>and the signal is lost almost immediately and it takes some time to lock again:
>
>https://photos.app.goo.gl/bVE9pBZpXJbJvz4Z7
>
>Lou

"Lock On Road Feature Information"
<https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=ENZshtWHoW1BR0SzyM0Ph6>

Overhead view:
<https://earth.google.com/web/search/Passo+Falzarego,+Cortina+d%27Ampezzo,+Province+of+Belluno,+Italy/@46.52003138,12.00790302,2107.85172561a,1339.82387048d,35y,0h,0t,0r/data=CigiJgokCYdsF9l8lEJAEbXMiFXljkJAGTTBjWGzhF7AIWvi-Luvil7A>

Tunnel:
<https://earth.google.com/web/search/Passo+Falzarego,+Cortina+d%27Ampezzo,+Province+of+Belluno,+Italy/@46.51805747,12.00529644,2057.70146629a,469.12100806d,35y,346.92576044h,0t,0r/data=CigiJgokCYdsF9l8lEJAEbXMiFXljkJAGTTBjWGzhF7AIWvi-Luvil7A>

Looking at the 3D view, the tunnel seems to be in a canyon, between
two tall mountains. Not a good location for GPS. Bare rock will
cause the GPS signal to bounce around:
<https://earth.google.com/web/search/Passo+Falzarego,+Cortina+d%27Ampezzo,+Province+of+Belluno,+Italy/@46.52353032,12.01141661,2223.14192672a,4245.58735716d,35y,-13.06264455h,63.61278348t,360r/data=CigiJgokCYdsF9l8lEJAEbXMiFXljkJAGTTBjWGzhF7AIWvi-Luvil7A>

With road lock (lock on road) enabled, the receiver will look for the
nearest roadway when the signal returns. Upon return, if the signal
is bouncing off a mountain, the RF flight path will be longer than
reality and your position should appear to be further downslope than
expected. However, that didn't quite happen. Instead, it moved the
plot lightly up the slope. I don't know why.

Was road lock setting on or off?

I estimated the distance between the tunnel exit to where lock was
restored using the measuring tool in Google Earth at about 165m. The
road looks fairly flat, so assuming 15 km/hr (4.17 m/sec) speed, that
would be:
165m / 4.17m/sec = 40 seconds
That's a little longer to re-establish lock than I would expect but
not unreasonable considering the possibility of reflection problems
possible blockage from the mountains.

Nice photos. Thanks.

Frank Krygowski

Jul 18, 2021, 9:41:12 PM7/18/21
:-) Nice one!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Jul 18, 2021, 11:36:56 PM7/18/21
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 17:11:23 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>My mistake about the GPS was because of information to which I am privy and most aren't.

Your resume on LinkedIn says that you were at Lowry Air Force base in
1965 and 1966:
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-kunich-22012/>
The first prototype GPS satellite was first launched in Feb 1978:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System>
You might want to adjust your timeline.

By the way. The Doppler thing was my mistake, not yours. You had it
right the first time. The least you could do is give blame where
blame is due.

Drivel: Around 1981, I was working for Intech designing marine
radios. At the time, marine navigation was Loran A, Loran C, Omega,
inertial nav systems, and Transit Doppler satellite hardware. At the
time, management was negotiating with an engineer claiming to have a
radically different design for a marine navigation system. The boss
thought he was nuts and wanted too much money, so the plan was
rejected. I later discovered that was Charles Trimble, founder of
Trimble Navigation. At the time, Trimble was making Loran receivers
and Cesium clocks. The product he was pitching was an early version
of GPS. Oops.

Tom Kunich

Jul 19, 2021, 12:20:22 PM7/19/21
On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 8:36:56 PM UTC-7, jeff.li...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 17:11:23 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >My mistake about the GPS was because of information to which I am privy and most aren't.
> Your resume on LinkedIn says that you were at Lowry Air Force base in
> 1965 and 1966:
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-kunich-22012/>
> The first prototype GPS satellite was first launched in Feb 1978:
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System>
> You might want to adjust your timeline.
>
> By the way. The Doppler thing was my mistake, not yours. You had it
> right the first time. The least you could do is give blame where
> blame is due.
>
> Drivel: Around 1981, I was working for Intech designing marine
> radios. At the time, marine navigation was Loran A, Loran C, Omega,
> inertial nav systems, and Transit Doppler satellite hardware. At the
> time, management was negotiating with an engineer claiming to have a
> radically different design for a marine navigation system. The boss
> thought he was nuts and wanted too much money, so the plan was
> rejected. I later discovered that was Charles Trimble, founder of
> Trimble Navigation. At the time, Trimble was making Loran receivers
> and Cesium clocks. The product he was pitching was an early version
> of GPS. Oops.

As usual, you chatter on as if there is something to say. I have done work for the military many times. This under the auspices of a secret classification which means I cannot discuss them. But you can go on about my time in the service as if that is all I would know about it.

By the way, I worked for Trimble as one of his EE's and programmers. I don't remember a Charles Trimble so I suppose that he had sold the company by then.

I've told you many times that I had a 14 page resume and was asked to shorten it to make it easier for the agencies to pitch me for a job. Then my computer got a virus that disabled it. That was when I was first coming back from my concussion and I took it to a local moron who scrubbed the disk and loaded the latest version of Windows on it (which at the time was Windows 9). My friend could have recovered all of the data without that scrub.

So the only thing on LinkedIn is the shortened version of my resume with large gaps in it. And with a memory largely destroyed I cannot give any details beyond the memories that were missed because of the seizures that destroyed memories. I can say that I worked for almost all of the laboratory instrument and medical instrument companies in the entire bay area developing their latest ideas.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 9:50:33 PM7/19/21
On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 11:08:37 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 1:35:04 PM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
> > So today on strava I see Neilson Powless in the TDF does a 16 mile climb with average grade of 4.6% in 61 minutes. I realize these guys are the world stars in cycling but that seems impossible. I wonder what gears he use for the majority of the climb. You think he has a compact crank on the bike or a standard double? If he has an 11-28 with a 53-39 I guess he is not human.
> > Deacon Mark
> A 4.6% average grade is not much. I do about 8 mph on that sort of grade and as I've mentioned, I'm 86 That would make it 2 hours for a 16 mile climb for me. The trouble is that such a climb has 12% sections in it and long distances of less than 4%. I hardly notice 3%. And it is difficult to notice the difference between flat ground and 2%. And I no longer have that explosive acceleration on hills I used to have where I would let the lead group get 1/4 mile in front and pass them before the top.
>
> There is a local 3 mile climb with 12% 9% and 8% sections in it. I used to ride up that in a 39-25. Now remember that I am disabled from a lung injury doing government work. So It isn't the speed that they are doing that is so fantastic, it is the DISTANCE that they ride fast and then climb fast.
>
> Their real ability is their rate of recovery after those efforts.

Tom, I'm not sure what your problem(s) is/are. But within one week you have listed two very different ages for yourself. 10 years apart different. Try to answer correctly, how old are you?

From the post above on July 11, 2021.
> A 4.6% average grade is not much. I do about 8 mph on that sort of grade and as I've mentioned, I'm 86

From a post on July 17. You don't go from 86 on July 11 to 76 on July 17. Not possible in a factual world. Now I know you live in Trump land so maybe aging backwards 10 years in six days is true in your world.
cycl...@gmail.com
Jul 17, 2021, 4:32:38 PM (2 days ago)
On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 1:02:04 PM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> My pedals are Dura Ace PD-6402s (heavy old things, but well-made, I think, because they seem to be lasting forever). So from what you guys are telling me, these are designed for a Look Delta cleat, apparently. I had always just called them "the early-style Look cleat". Now that I know their correct name, I can look up the details on the cleat pretty easily.
>
> I tried Jay's suggestion of inserting the black cleats into the PD-6402s with my hand, but so far they are a no-go.

It is probably too hard to push in by hand. Putting the shoe on and with a regular shoe on the other foot stand over the bike fit the pedal in until you can feel it connected and then standing on it until a loud CLICK occurs will show you what it feels like to connect the cleat, Then twisting your heal outwards until it is disconnects will show you what the pressure is to disconnect.

Look. getting used to several different types of pedals over the last 10 years I must have fallen down a dozen times and I am presently 76 and close to 77. You know what? Shit happens. I get up again, apply second skin and carry on. I might be sore for a week or a month (I just fell over two weeks ago when I pulled out on the right side and overbalanced to the left) but that gives me plenty of reasons to be more careful. Its hard to get arthritis when you're expending all of your energy healing...

Tom Kunich

Jul 20, 2021, 12:27:24 PM7/20/21
I'm not sure what your problem is either. I have repeated time and time again that my present age is 76. So exactly why is it that you do not recognize a typo?