Garmin Improvements

Tom Kunich

Jan 31, 2022, 12:51:28 PM1/31/22
As I said before, I bought a Garmin 820 and received a Garmin 810. After using the 810 for awhile I am wondering what sort of improvements that they could make in the 810 save minor changes to make it easier to use.

For those who have used 810' and 820's or 30's - what sort of improvements have you noticed and were they actually worth it? The Ebay prices of used 830's is almost new Garmin prices and I can't see buying them when I have an 800 and a 1020. The advantage of the 1020 is that it has a much stronger mount but it is covered with buttons. I haven't used it in so long I can't remember how close to the others abilities it has but I seem to remember that the only real change is buttons whereas the 800 and 810 are touch screen.

Those of you with actual experience with these things could perhaps enlighten me.

AMuzi

Jan 31, 2022, 1:10:01 PM1/31/22
"The crap we sold you last year is no good. Here's the new
model."

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Ted Heise

Jan 31, 2022, 1:32:11 PM1/31/22
This guy does great and in depth reviews, and here's his take on
the 830 (with some comparisons to the 820)...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-830-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

And here are links to his brief review of the 820 and his in depth
reviews of the 810 and 800...

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

--
Ted Heise <the...@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA

Roger Merriman

Jan 31, 2022, 2:04:12 PM1/31/22
1030/830/530 are the new generation so new faster processing, to counter
both Wahoo Element Bolt, very easy set up/connected to phone app, and more
recently Karoo, which is based on Android.

Really depends on what you do, for myself I use the navigation features so,
and more so older generation Garmin’s just could be painfully slow or
simply crash out.

But plenty of folks who use it just to record then a cheaper older units
are fine!

Roger Merriman.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jan 31, 2022, 2:35:33 PM1/31/22
We've shown tommy the links to DC rainmaker before. He refuses to look.

Tom Kunich

Jan 31, 2022, 2:44:01 PM1/31/22
Going down and setting the thing up again, I notice that the damned cadence and speed battery is dead yet again. Is this the normal lifespan (3 rides) or is this thing kicking the bucket? The hub mounted RPM pickup doesn't allow you to measure cadence so you could still be going through batteries a mile a minute.

Roger Merriman

Jan 31, 2022, 3:15:04 PM1/31/22
I’d assume not but I don’t use cadence or speed sensors as my main use is
navigating not performance/training.

Roger Merriman

Mark Cleary

Jan 31, 2022, 3:34:18 PM1/31/22
I have a Garmin 935 always liked Garmin and I have a 645 too but I use that for running or on the indoor trainer. I have speed sensor and the cadence sensor and they last a long time. At least 6 months on a battery and maybe closer to a year. My 645 is great for indoors just because the 935 is a bit bigger and does not have a strap. It has a mount I use on my bike when riding outside. I can say one thing Garmin is very good with customer service. They replaced my heart rate monitor with a better one after the first one went bad at almost a year. I bought a 645 that seemed to go bad after 3 months they replaced it no questions with a better Music 645 because that is all they had in stock. Finally my 935 has never gave me a problem in almost 9 months.

The accuracy of the GPS is completely accurate I have never had problems and ride the same courses that go for 50-70 miles and they are almost exact each time. THe only time they get a bit off is running around a 400 meter track. The small circle I thiink finds the distance farther than it actually is, not off huge amounts just not as consistant.
Deacon Mark
Message has been deleted

Tom Kunich

Jan 31, 2022, 4:05:49 PM1/31/22
I discovered that when I hit reset and carefully realigned the pickup, that the pickup worked fine. Thanks for letting me know how long your pickup batteries last.

Lou Holtman

Jan 31, 2022, 5:04:56 PM1/31/22
I don’t know of a 1020. If you mean a 1030 it is not covered with buttons and has a touch screen. The key features of the 1030 is a big and higher resolution screen and the battery life. From the 810 and up the ease of use is not changed. You have to get used to it and figur out the concept. After that it is easy.

Lou

Tom Kunich

Jan 31, 2022, 5:11:28 PM1/31/22
> I don’t know of a 1020. If you mean a 1030 it is not covered with buttons and has a touch screen. The key features of the 1030 is a big and higher resolution screen and the battery life. From the 810 and up the ease of use is not changed. You have to get used to it and figure out the concept. After that it is easy. Looking at it with a magnifying glass in tiny print in says 705. I suppose that's why I got the 800 and then graduated to an 820 that turned out to be an 810. But the slip-in mount is a hell of a lot more strong than the twist mount of the 800 series,

Lou Holtman

Jan 31, 2022, 5:38:43 PM1/31/22
That is not my experience. I broke more than one slip-in mounts with the 705 and non twist mounts with a 810 and 1030. I use the twist mounts for some 10 years now. To be fair I don't use the twist mounts with the rubber bands. Always use the machined aluminum K-edge in front mounts, but the have the same plastic inserts you can replace. Had to do that once after a crash with my cross bike in the forrest.

Lou

Tom Kunich

Jan 31, 2022, 6:31:03 PM1/31/22
I used the aluminum K-edge. But I just looked up the installation procedure and it is absolutely nothing like what I originally got. The original instructions simply said to fit it over back plate where the ears had sheered off and install the screws. The latest has you sanding the Garmin plate until you have an interference fit and then gluing it on with with a (not provided) gel superglue that doesn't effect plastic ant then install the screws. I lost one of the screws taking it apart but ordered a new one yesterday so I imagine that it will contain at least the two minute screws if not a spare.

I have a Garmin arm-type mount which should add some spring to it and relieve that harsh headset mount I was using. I called up my local Garmin dealer and he will sell me a new 830 for less than a used one on Ebay

Lou Holtman

Feb 1, 2022, 3:10:37 AM2/1/22
You broke the mount interface on your Garmin? That is more serious. Never happened to me.
I use his mount:
https://www.rosebikes.nl/k-edge-garmin-max-xl-mount-stuurhouder-voor-garmin-edge-fietscomputer-2699591?product_shape=zwart&article_size=%C3%9831%2C8mm

Lou

Roger Merriman

Feb 1, 2022, 5:13:49 AM2/1/22
I’ve used the mounts 11years+ but the twist ones mounted to the stem, never
had a issue.

As ever depends on your use I guess.

Plus they don’t get in the way of my front light.

Roger Merriman.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 1, 2022, 12:33:06 PM2/1/22
Tom does suffer lots and lots of confusion. Pity.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Feb 1, 2022, 4:28:21 PM2/1/22
I am over 400 miles for the year and 1000 meters of climbing. What have you don't with that razor sharp mind of yours.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2022, 6:27:12 PM2/1/22
The Bay area has much better January weather than Ohio. That might explain any distance difference between residents of those places. At least explain it to a logical thinking person with an operating mind.

Tommy boy, I find it slightly odd that you mix up your distances and elevation. Why do you use miles for distance and meters for elevation? Why not use USA standard imperial measurements for both? Or metric for both? Why mix them up? Is there a logical (HaHaHoHo) reason you are doing this? I know you are deeply rooted to Oakland for some reason. And have never ever traveled. But if you ventured as far away as say the Rocky Mountains, Colorado, you would find signs alongside the road that say miles to the next town AND at the top of mountains, there are signs saying how many FEET high the mountain top is.

Tom Kunich

Feb 1, 2022, 7:09:08 PM2/1/22
So the numbers man again shows he has great difficulty with numbers. Showing altitude in meters is probably a better idea since the numbers are much smaller. Over the last 5 years I have climbed over a million feet of grades over 5%. Counting the actual climbing that a Garmin records that would be an additional 20%. Oh, wait, you can't figure out what 1.2 times a million would be.

Let's put it this way - I climbed over 3 times the height of Mt. Everest. Or is that too approximate for you now?

Why don't you tell us about your grand travels?

By the way. Although we are presently in a dry spell and Jeffy tells us that it never rains in California in February, the temperatures haven't been too different from Ohio. Lou is riding a LOT in Holland despite far worse weather than in Ohio right now.

The weather report sadly told us that for this time of year because of the dry spell we are down to only 100% of normal rainfall. That didn't stop me from finishing my 5,000 miles for the year in December. I still did 25 miles today despite 20-40mph winds that were predicted so they cut down all of the trees around the Oakland Airport.

Ralph Barone

Feb 1, 2022, 9:25:34 PM2/1/22
1000 metres of climbing over 400 miles of riding (assuming they’re all out
and back rides) amounts to an average slope of 0.3%. That’s awfully flat.
Has Tom moved next door to Lou?

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2022, 12:19:21 AM2/2/22
Then why don't you tell us your distance in miles and altitude in YARDS? Yards and Meters are pretty darn close. And they do not intermix US standard and metric system. They are the same system. No intermixing. It is very odd for you to mix USA miles, feet, yards and Europe metric kilometers, meters, centimeters. Very bizarre.

> Let's put it this way - I climbed over 3 times the height of Mt. Everest. Or is that too approximate for you now?

Mt. Everest is around 28,000 feet high. So three times that is about 90,000 feet of climbing. And you wrote you climbed 1000 meters above so far this year. About 3000 feet. And you somehow think 90,000 and 3000 are somehow equal? Or comparable? What are you smoking Tommy?

> Why don't you tell us about your grand travels?

Probably my only GRAND travels were the summer I rode around Europe. Rome to Brussels in 1992. About 4000 miles in total over about 100 days. Great joy for me. I have ridden a week or so in Portugal and just a few miles in Spain too. That was back in 2000. Good ride. Saw cork trees after they had their bark cut off. Skinned trees. Odd sight. Ridden a few weeks in the Colorado Rockies. Good rides. Went on week long rides in Indiana, Tennessee, and North Carolina. Also good rides. And of course local week long rides in Kansas, Iowa and North Dakota. All good. I think riding for a week in a state gives you a good perspective of the state.

> By the way. Although we are presently in a dry spell and Jeffy tells us that it never rains in California in February, the temperatures haven't been too different from Ohio. Lou is riding a LOT in Holland despite far worse weather than in Ohio right now.

Tommy, are you sky high on crack right now? Using that evil Google on the internet, it says San Francisco, where you live is going to have highs in the low 60s for the next ten days. And lows in the 40s. And Cleveland Ohio where Frank is close to, is going to have highs in the next ten days in the 40s, 30s, 20s, and teens. And lows in the 30s, 20s, teens, and single digits. And its going to snow in Cleveland in the next day or two. Now I know Trump is your idle. But I think even Trump would not make up a lie like that claiming the Bay area and Ohio are having similar weather right now. I think you might have jumped off the edge of the Grand Canyon with this whopper. Do you really believe 60 degrees is the same as 18 degrees and snow?

For fun I used Google to look up the weather for Amsterdam. Next ten days call for highs of upper 40s Fahrenheit and lows of low 40s. Lot of rain too. So while Amsterdam is rideable for the next ten days temperature wise, it might not be pleasant if its cool and raining. I would give Lou a pass on riding for the next week if he wants it. He can still call himself a real bicyclist if he wants too even if he does not touch his bike for the next week or so. Riding in rain when its in the 40s and 50s is not pleasant. I've done it too many times.

I doubt Jeff Lieberman on this site ever said it never rains in California. Due to your poor reading comprehension, you may have interpreted it that way. But you say there is no Covid-19 and Trump won the election. So that clearly illustrates your reading comprehension and thinking ability. Even the Atacama desert in the Andes and the Sahara, receive some moisture. It might rain only once every few centuries, but that is still not never.

> The weather report sadly told us that for this time of year because of the dry spell we are down to only 100% of normal rainfall. That didn't stop me from finishing my 5,000 miles for the year in December. I still did 25 miles today despite 20-40mph winds that were predicted so they cut down all of the trees around the Oakland Airport.

Not sure how your daily riding mileage and wind speeds and removing trees around an airport are related. But still good to know this information.

Lou Holtman

Feb 2, 2022, 3:11:48 AM2/2/22
On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 6:19:21 AM UTC+1, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:

> For fun I used Google to look up the weather for Amsterdam. Next ten days call for highs of upper 40s Fahrenheit and lows of low 40s. Lot of rain too. So while Amsterdam is rideable for the next ten days temperature wise, it might not be pleasant if its cool and raining. I would give Lou a pass on riding for the next week if he wants it. He can still call himself a real bicyclist if he wants too even if he does not touch his bike for the next week or so. Riding in rain when its in the 40s and 50s is not pleasant. I've done it too many times.

The weather determines what bike I take, what clothes I wear, how long I ride and mayby if I postpone a ride for 1 or 2 days. Dutch climate does allow that for me.

Lou

Rolf Mantel

Feb 2, 2022, 3:59:55 AM2/2/22
I am now thinking that 'really flat' is 2m per km or 10 ft per mile. On
those riedes, the Garmin typically suggests GPS-based climb is 50%
higher, and Strava corrects the climb map based. This kind of climb is
necessaray to cross a few highways or railway lines in suburbia, rather
than due to landscape features.
Maybe Tom has spent his time cycling along the coast line?

AMuzi

Feb 2, 2022, 8:58:53 AM2/2/22
+1
That works for me in a more extreme environment.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 2, 2022, 10:50:10 AM2/2/22
On 2/2/2022 12:19 AM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 6:09:08 PM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> By the way. Although we are presently in a dry spell and Jeffy tells us that it never rains in California in February, the temperatures haven't been too different from Ohio. Lou is riding a LOT in Holland despite far worse weather than in Ohio right now.
>
> Tommy, are you sky high on crack right now? Using that evil Google on the internet, it says San Francisco, where you live is going to have highs in the low 60s for the next ten days. And lows in the 40s. And Cleveland Ohio where Frank is close to, is going to have highs in the next ten days in the 40s, 30s, 20s, and teens. And lows in the 30s, 20s, teens, and single digits. And its going to snow in Cleveland in the next day or two.

We've had an unusually snowy winter, with well over a foot falling in
three days maybe a week ago. It's settled a bit but never really melted;
I'm looking at ~ six inches of snow out my window. My wife and I haven't
even been able to walk much because sidewalks are impassible. And our
daytime highs broke 40 F only yesterday, after a long time of barely
cracking 30, with nighttime lows below zero F.

Roads are finally dry for the moment, but winter storm Landon is on the
way. From the National Weather Service:

"...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
7 AM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations
of 4 to 7 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze. ...

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 7 AM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous
conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Heaviest snow expected Wednesday night
through Thursday. Snowfall rates may exceed one inch per hour at
times."

But I'm sure San Francisco gets this all the time, and that Tom rides
right through it. What a hero!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 11:07:13 AM2/2/22
So aside from problems with numbers, you also have English as a second language? Perhaps you missed where I said that in the LAST FIVE YEARS I climbed over a million feet? What you have proven is that you are too busy trying to find something to complain about than to actually learn anything.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 11:08:54 AM2/2/22
I don't ride when it's raining since most of my riding includes climbing and descending which it not safe in rain or particularly we roads.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 11:11:17 AM2/2/22
Typically when I am recording climbing it is over 5% and the Garmin is accurate since it uses an altimeter rather than GPS triangulation.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 11:13:47 AM2/2/22
So a storm expected at the end of the week prevents you from riding today. Ask Lou what he thinks of that.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 2, 2022, 11:21:05 AM2/2/22
42 F and rain is predicted to hit here in half an hour, the leading edge
of this storm event.

But you really need to ask your wife for help with reading comprehension.

Why won't she help? Doesn't she like you?

--
- Frank Krygowski

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 2, 2022, 11:42:47 AM2/2/22
Would that surprise you? Hell, we're talking about a guy who put his sick wife on a bus to visit her relatives so he could stay home and work on a craigs list bike rather than be a decent human being and driver her there.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 12:25:39 PM2/2/22
I suppose one would wonder what the hell you're talking about, but then we already know that you will say anything. You're like a parrot with nearly as much cognition.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 12:37:32 PM2/2/22
Two weeks ago I was riding in 35 degree weather with all of the puddles containing floating ice. And you've had days of 42 and can't ride? You know, that is your business, but don't complain about My riding being easy. Very shortly you will cease riding because it will be too hard for you. Again, that is your business. But please stop hanging around on .tech and giving us the entirely incorrect advice from your long years of doing things wrong.

Roger Merriman

Feb 2, 2022, 12:53:42 PM2/2/22
Even so the climbing is somewhat low as a ratio of the distance, I live and
commute across london which is flat, the north Downs are lumpy and in
places steep but mountains they are not.

So with two weeks off due illness, I’m at 342miles and 9456 ft/2894meters
climbed.

The vast majority of my rides (commutes) are flat 150ft for just under
12miles each way, most folks do a lot more climbing per distance for that
reason,

Though I do hilly gravel/MTB rides the total distance is quite low per
year.

Roger Merriman.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2022, 2:14:56 PM2/2/22
??????????????
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/oakland/historic
The above website has the past weather in Oakland California. For the whole month of January and the past few days of February, it looks like the highs were in the 50s every day and the lows in the 40s every day. No rain at all for January. Yet you say two weeks ago it was 35 degrees on your ride? And rainy? And ice in puddles when it was 35 degrees? How does water freeze at temperatures above 32 degrees? I thought with acid rain, rain infected with chemicals and infiltrated with smoke from all your forest fires would be harder to freeze. It would take 31 or 30 or 29 or 28 degrees temperatures to make this infected rain freeze. Yet you say the rain was freezing into ice at a higher temperature of 35? How is that possible? Maybe some of the educated scientists on this forum (not you of course) could tell us what chemicals needed to be added to water/rain to make it freeze at a higher temperature than freezing.

Looking at the past month's temperatures for Oakland it appears you have had somewhat good riding conditions. 50s in the daytime and sunny or cloudy. No rain at all. Back here you would have people running around shirtless in shorts if it was that pleasant in January.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 2, 2022, 3:21:24 PM2/2/22
On 2/2/2022 12:37 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> But please stop hanging around on .tech and giving us the entirely incorrect advice from your long years of doing things wrong.

:-) That's pretty funny! _Me_ doing things wrong?? :-)

Tom, did you get your saddle to stay attached after it fell off?

Have you finally managed to get your handlebars to stop slipping down?

Have you figured out yet which model Garmin you bought, and how to get
it to display what you want it to show?

How's your derailleur adjustment these days? IIRC, last we heard it
shifted fine on small cogs but not on large - or was that vice versa?

Do you still need more help ordering the right bottom bracket components?

Did you ever get the right wires and components for your Di2, or did you
just give up?

But hey, congratulations of finding something to hold you up when you
nearly toppled while climbing a hill. Maybe your luck is finally
starting to improve!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 3:37:42 PM2/2/22
I'm not familiar with London but perhaps it suffers from large and often pressure fronts that move in and out fairly rapidly? This is something that is unusual most places such as here where a pressure front usually takes a week or more to move through. Altimeters use atmospheric pressure to detect climbing and are very sensitive as you would expect, for fronts moving in and out will show as climbing and/or descending.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 3:50:18 PM2/2/22
Frank, I use new parts all the time. I'm well aware that you've already said that if you made a wrong choice you wouldn't advertise it but hide it in embarrassment. But unlike you, If a new part doesn't work I will tell people so that they don't make the same mistake. I don't hide the fact that a a seatpost advertised as working with 9 mm carbon seat rails doesn't really do that. Instead you want all of that hidden and secret. No one cares what you find as funny. You are an incompetent idiot that Jobst made fun of and your comments are a perfect reason why.

As for your idiotic comments about Di2 on my bikes, tell everyone here how many bikes you've owned with Di2 on them? We can wait for the next ten years of silence from you about this. Here's one you could buy if you ever made the sort of money that these demand. https://www.ebay.com/itm/294442844289?hash=item448e294081:g:eJYAAOSwiENgfwhS

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 2, 2022, 3:51:31 PM2/2/22
I was particularly amused the time he couldn't figure out why his chain was skipping until Andrew told him to lube it. Then of course all the stories we repeatedly hear about how someone sent him the wrong parts.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 4:00:02 PM2/2/22
I am particularly amused with your invention of absolutely anything. Yes, I did buy an 820 off of Ebay and received an 810. I didn't know the difference and it operated just fine and it was dirt cheap. So am I supposed to care? Oh wait, YOU think that I'm supposed to care.

I know more about chain lubing and wear on gears than you will ever know in your entire life because you plainly are rather low IQ so don't pretend that I don't know how to lube my chain when chain skipping on the Campy 10 speeds is a common problem until Campy started building special non-stretch cables.

Don't you think you should show another photo that shows you in second place to impress everyone when the truth is that you came in lantern rouge?

Roger Merriman

Feb 2, 2022, 5:55:24 PM2/2/22
It’s a temperate climate but no not really a feature, clearly does have
fronts moving in mostly in winter, but it’s fairly stable as to the height
gained, and generally is believable considering the route for either my
commute or Gravel/MTB rides.

Most units will recalculate, to known heights etc. so while it’s true there
is some variably it’s a few feet over a big ride than by the 1000ft or so.

Roger Merriman.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 6:22:02 PM2/2/22
My altimeter on both the Garmin and the Levon (I think it is - a speedo with altitude and rate of climb) report every 3 feet on climbs so they are extremely sensitive to even rollers.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 6:29:31 PM2/2/22
Because the ears broke off of my 810 I ordered another rear case. But I also decided that since I intend to ride until something forcibly stops me I will buy a new Garmin 830 from the factory. My local bike shop put it on order and he will sell it to me cheaper than you can get used ones on Ebay for. Hopefully this one will include an operation manual since it appears to be entirely touch screen. I have all of the pickups - speed, cadence and heart-rate already. I installed the 800 on my Trek and the operating system on that is actually easier to figure out than the 810. It took me less than 5 minutes to train it to my sensors. I could pick up the 810 right now and it would take me 15 minutes to find the screen to change the sensors.

Roger Merriman

Feb 2, 2022, 6:57:44 PM2/2/22
To the best of my knowledge the devices and websites ie Garmin
connect/Strava and so on do correct to known values, last big ride it
claimed 3,970 ft climbing on device and websites.

The Garmin 830 in particular will flash up that it’s recalibrated to
location, every now and then when It’s started up.

In short I don’t believe that it’s massively over reading, I’m aware it’s
one of the things that gets claimed but the numbers do tend to tally with
the hills I’m climbing.

Roger Merriman.

Tom Kunich

Feb 2, 2022, 7:23:35 PM2/2/22
My 810 kept telling me I was at 60,000 feet. The climbs were always correct compared to the Levon, but I couldn't find any way to fix that 60,000 foot altitude. Then I noticed a button somewhere that caused it to recalibrate to sea level. Problem solved. The known climbs I do fairly often always give me the same altitude within 3 feet.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 2, 2022, 7:35:35 PM2/2/22
On 2/2/2022 3:50 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:21:24 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> On 2/2/2022 12:37 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> But please stop hanging around on .tech and giving us the entirely incorrect advice from your long years of doing things wrong.
>> :-) That's pretty funny! _Me_ doing things wrong?? :-)
>>
>> Tom, did you get your saddle to stay attached after it fell off?
>>
>> Have you finally managed to get your handlebars to stop slipping down?
>>
>> Have you figured out yet which model Garmin you bought, and how to get
>> it to display what you want it to show?
>>
>> How's your derailleur adjustment these days? IIRC, last we heard it
>> shifted fine on small cogs but not on large - or was that vice versa?
>>
>> Do you still need more help ordering the right bottom bracket components?
>>
>> Did you ever get the right wires and components for your Di2, or did you
>> just give up?
>>
>> But hey, congratulations of finding something to hold you up when you
>> nearly toppled while climbing a hill. Maybe your luck is finally
>> starting to improve!
>
> Frank, I use new parts all the time. I'm well aware that you've already said that if you made a wrong choice you wouldn't advertise it ...

I think your memory is faulty yet again, Tom. But it doesn't matter
much. I tend to research what I buy fairly carefully, and I don't make
one hundredth the mistakes you do.

> You are an incompetent idiot that Jobst made fun of ...

Bullshit. Jobst and I corresponded quite pleasantly. And if he were here
he'd be raking you over the coals as he always did, and it would be well
justified.

--
- Frank Krygowski

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2022, 5:18:06 AM2/3/22
On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 4:00:02 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:51:31 PM UTC-8, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > > :-) That's pretty funny! _Me_ doing things wrong?? :-)
> > >
> > > Tom, did you get your saddle to stay attached after it fell off?
> > >
> > > Have you finally managed to get your handlebars to stop slipping down?
> > >
> > > Have you figured out yet which model Garmin you bought, and how to get
> > > it to display what you want it to show?
> > >
> > > How's your derailleur adjustment these days? IIRC, last we heard it
> > > shifted fine on small cogs but not on large - or was that vice versa?
> > >
> > > Do you still need more help ordering the right bottom bracket components?
> > >
> > > Did you ever get the right wires and components for your Di2, or did you
> > > just give up?
> > >
> > > But hey, congratulations of finding something to hold you up when you
> > > nearly toppled while climbing a hill. Maybe your luck is finally
> > > starting to improve!
> > >
> > I was particularly amused the time he couldn't figure out why his chain was skipping until Andrew told him to lube it. Then of course all the stories we repeatedly hear about how someone sent him the wrong parts.
>
> I am particularly amused with your invention of absolutely anything.

I've never claimed to have invented anything, though I do have my name on a few patents as part of design teams over the years.

> Yes, I did buy an 820 off of Ebay and received an 810. I didn't know the difference and it operated just fine and it was dirt cheap. So am I supposed to care? Oh wait, YOU think that I'm supposed to care.

I know I would care that I paid for a newer product as was sent an older one (and yes tommy, that's the reason they changed to model number, the 820 is newer than the 810). Besides, you complained many times over the years that you were sent something wrong. In reality you bought the wrong part, and claimed it was the sellers fault - idiot.

> I know more about chain lubing and wear on gears than you will ever know in your entire life

not likely. We've heard constant tales of your mechanical mishaps - idiot.

> because you plainly are rather low IQ

Sure, mr. "light lines" - idiot

> so don't pretend that I don't know how to lube my chain

I didn't write that. Chalk another one up for tommy's lack of reading comprehension - idiot

> when chain skipping on the Campy 10 speeds is a common problem until Campy started building special non-stretch cables.

haha...right, Campy had to build "special non-stretch cables", let me guess, that was after you called Tullio Campagnolo and told him to redesign it, right? Wow...this one's getting it's own thread - idiot

> Don't you think you should show another photo that shows you in second place to impress everyone when the truth is that you came in lantern rouge?

I already showed my strava result for that race. Besides, no shame in DFL: https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1499/lanterne-rouge-at-the-tour-de-france -idiot.

shut the fuck up tommy

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2022, 5:19:55 AM2/3/22
I was going to say.....All the reading of past threads I've done showed Jobst giving sparky shit, no attacks on you.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 11:25:15 AM2/3/22
Well, I see you have a very selective memory. I suppose that helps your ego.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 11:29:06 AM2/3/22
I see, your are so proud of downfield results that you are now saying that Lantern Rouge is honorable. Please, please shut me up. Here i am a poor little old 77 year old and you are this young and vital bicycle racer, you shouldn't have any trouble should you. So you should shut me up. I'm waiting fearfully.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2022, 12:16:17 PM2/3/22
Finishing the tour is honorable, even in last place.

> Please, please shut me up. Here i am a poor little old 77 year old and you are this young and vital bicycle racer

young? no.
Vital - my Dr seems to think so.
Racer? yes.

2 out of three sparky - 66%....hey wasn't that you GPA when you dropped out of high school.

> you shouldn't have any trouble should you. So you should shut me up. I'm waiting fearfully.

you aren't worth the plane fare.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 12:24:05 PM2/3/22
\My memory isn't faulty, you think that anything newer than 1970 is worthless junk and you wouldn't admit ever using it even if it was the only thing available. You have continuously made that crystal clear to everyone here. So make any claims you like but it isn't fooling anyone.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 12:26:24 PM2/3/22
Perhaps you'd like to comment on my GPA compared to yours and also compare my accomplishments and my income? You are what, a test engineer? Or less - a manager of test engineers?

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2022, 12:47:12 PM2/3/22
Sure, Considering you never went to college, all we can compare is high school. I had enough credits to graduate when I was a junior, and graduated with GPA of 3.85 IIRC. You didn't even know how many credits you had, and were doing so poorly you thought you would flunk out, so you dropped out.

> and also compare my accomplishments and my income?
Sure, I'm living very comfortably in a large home in a safe neighborhood, putting away 10% of my salary into my investment funds with every paycheck. You're living on social security in a hellhole with gunfights, rampant crimes, and illegal immigrants. And no, no one here beleives you make 12K a month on your investments, or you wouldn't be living on social security in a hellhole with gunfights, rampant crimes, and illegal immigrants.

> You are what, a test engineer?

I've done that, still do some of that, not my title now.

> Or less - a manager of test engineers?

Right, so a test engineering manager makes less than a test engineer. No wonder you dropped out of high school

shut the fuck up.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 3, 2022, 1:15:01 PM2/3/22
On 2/3/2022 12:24 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> \My memory isn't faulty ...

HA HA HA HA! :-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2022, 4:24:26 PM2/3/22
Anything newer than 1970 is worthless junk? I would definitely disagree with that assertion. Assuming of course that Frank made such an assertion. Which he did not. Tommy made that up. The late Nuovo Record was introduced in 1967. And that was followed by Super Record in 1973. That was used by Campy up into the 1980s at least. Classic. Even if it didn't work all that well and was surpassed by superior Japanese components from Shimano and Suntour. But at least it was better than the French stuff. And then of course came the most beautiful Campagnolo or any bike components ever made on earth. Campagnolo C Record. Early mid 1980s. I see on eBay that this old Campagnolo stuff is selling for crazy prices. I love C Record for its looks, but don't know if I am that crazy to pay many thousands of dollars for it.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2022, 4:39:37 PM2/3/22
On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 10:29:06 AM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I see, your are so proud of downfield results that you are now saying that Lantern Rouge is honorable. Please, please shut me up. Here i am a poor little old 77 year old and you are this young and vital bicycle racer, you shouldn't have any trouble should you. So you should shut me up. I'm waiting fearfully.

Tommy, the French add an extra "e" on the end of Lantern. It makes it more sophisticated that way. I've been in three official bike races in my life. 15 or so years ago. One criterium and two road race. I placed third in the criterium. Got a trophy. On one of the road races it was two or three laps I believe. Each lap about 15 or so miles I believe. Long ago so I have forgotten the details. The group dropped me on the first or second lap. Again, can't remember the details. But the group rode away from me. So when I finished the lap, I stopped and dropped out. I did not finish the race. No regrets or remorse on my part. I was not fast enough over that kind of terrain and length. There were hills on the route. Unlike the criterium where I got THIRD PLACE, with a trophy. It was perfectly flat and short. Maybe 10 miles at most. So my abilities allowed me to compete. The other road race was about 25 miles long or so. I think. On the last big hill before the finish, still three miles away, I made a break for it. And I think was first to the top. But a few others were in a chase group and caught me after the crest. We formed a paceline for a little bit. Then two guys took off and left the rest of us. I tried to catch them and chased them but I did not get into their draft stream so got dropped. And then the big chase group caught me about 100 yards before the finish line and passed me. So I could not even hold off for the final 100 yards for third place. I was 20th place or something. In hindsight on that day I should have tried harder and dug deeper to get into the slip stream. Then maybe I could have held onto third place. Mistakes and regrets on that race.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 3, 2022, 4:45:42 PM2/3/22
Tom never commented on this guy.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/hes-done-82-year-old-cyclist-overwhelmed-hits-1million-miles-442080

Russ Mantle can probably outride Tom by miles. And look at that
beautiful equipment!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 4:59:18 PM2/3/22
Here I am posting all I wish to. I'm still waiting for you to do something about it you sniveling little coward.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 5:03:15 PM2/3/22
Don't talk to me about this - remember, I have new bikes and new groups. It is your pal Frank Kragowski who thinks that it isn't a bike unless you can install fenders and carry a handlebar bag on it. That unless it has downtube shifters it is a failure waiting to happen. That anything other than steel is worthless and not worth the money and if you'd buy it you're obviously mentally ill.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 5:18:51 PM2/3/22
Why are you making fun of French spelling? And don't you know what the English translation of lanterne is? Or perhaps you don't know that Rouge is also English for Red? https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/18688

If you raced more power to you. So why argue that sprinters don't have almost identical top speeds. The difference between a pro and a Cat 1 isn't speed but that the Pro can spring at that speed after 120 miles and three climbs and they can hold that sprint longer.

Comparing my sprint to some pro is silly and meant nothing and anyone that ever used a power meter would know it. The sprints I made just a couple of years ago sounded almost as fast as a pro but that small difference in speed was a 40% difference in power. I used to commonly beat all of the traffic across an intersection. So I had a good sprint forever. What I didn't have was good climbing when there was a lot of climbing involved. So that is what I worked on and that comes at the expense of a sprint.

Tom Kunich

Feb 3, 2022, 5:40:59 PM2/3/22
You just showed everything I said that you're like. Congratulations. You think that someone on a heavy steel bike with downtube shifters can ride faster than I can. Obviously he is a great rider but you have the sick impression that he is a pro racer when he is a respectable touring type rider. You, flunky, john and a couple more have damaged this group probably beyond repair. Just in 2010 before I was injured and didn't post for several years this group had literally hundreds of posters. When I came to and started riding again and looked at the group they were almost entirely gone. This is the group that you like. One in which you can pretend to know something without people like Tim McTeague,. Peter Chrisholm, Bob Hubert, Dan Connelly, Mike Jacoubowsky, Mike Krueger and others are all gone now. Ridesalot is undoubtedly Stella Hackell who used to get her feelings hurt at the slightest perceived criticism even when none were intended but even when they were undetectable.

AMuzi

Feb 3, 2022, 5:56:41 PM2/3/22
As Russel notes, pedantically, the correct spelling is
'lanterne rouge'

'Red Lantern' doesn't do it.
In English we say 'DFL'. Dead F**king Last.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Frank Krygowski

Feb 3, 2022, 8:31:46 PM2/3/22
Of course, the "slip stream" makes a huge difference. I did only a
couple road races, but the experience of a fast pack's slip stream is
pretty cool.

One of the races, in a small southern town, attracted some experienced
racers from the big city maybe 50 miles away. One of those was a racer
I'd met before who arrived so full of confidence that at the start, he
rode slowly for a bit to chat up some of the women in the ladies race
(shorter distance, but starting simultaneously with the men). He figured
to catch us small town folk after he charmed some ladies.

But right at the start the men organized into a really nice pace line.
He said he saw us pull away and took off after us, "But you guys were
moving along like a freight train!" He never made it up to the group.

Another big city guy looked absolutely fearsome, with muscular thighs
the size of tree trunks. I remember thinking "THIS guy is going to win."
But within half a mile of the start, we turned left at a gravelly
intersection. The guy with the thighs started yelling frantically
"GRAVEL! GRAVEL! GRAVEL!" and slowed way down. We heard later that he'd
recently suffered a bad crash on a gravelly turn. He, too, never caught
the rest of us.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Feb 3, 2022, 8:45:32 PM2/3/22
On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 14:18:49 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why are you making fun of French spelling? And don't you know what the English translation of lanterne is? Or perhaps you don't know that Rouge is also English for Red? https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/18688

"List of English words of French origin"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin>
"... 45% of all English words have a French origin."

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Frank Krygowski

Feb 3, 2022, 8:57:40 PM2/3/22
On 2/3/2022 5:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 1:45:42 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
>>
>> Tom never commented on this guy.
>> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/hes-done-82-year-old-cyclist-overwhelmed-hits-1million-miles-442080
>>
>> Russ Mantle can probably outride Tom by miles. And look at that
>> beautiful equipment!
>
> You just showed everything I said that you're like. Congratulations. You think that someone on a heavy steel bike with downtube shifters can ride faster than I can. Obviously he is a great rider but you have the sick impression that he is a pro racer...

No, Tom, I never claimed Russ Mantle is a pro racer. (Why won't your
wife help you with reading comprehension? Doesn't she like you?)

I noted your claim that because Jeff or others ride fewer miles than
you, you must be more expert.

And I said that by the same "logic" Russ Mantle must be even more expert
than you. His mileage totally eclipses yours! Decades and decades of
14,000+ miles per year!

And it seems he rides equipment you disparage. Downtube shifters! Is
that half step plus granny? Fenders!! A big saddlebag!

But then, there's no mention of Russ's handlebars slipping, his
derailleur going out of adjustment, his saddle falling off, his bottom
bracket parts not matching ...

Sounds like he does know more than you.

--
- Frank Krygowski

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 12:41:06 AM2/4/22
On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 7:57:40 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 2/3/2022 5:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 3, 2022 at 1:45:42 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >>
> >> Tom never commented on this guy.
> >> https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/hes-done-82-year-old-cyclist-overwhelmed-hits-1million-miles-442080
> >>
> >> Russ Mantle can probably outride Tom by miles. And look at that
> >> beautiful equipment!
> >
> > You just showed everything I said that you're like. Congratulations. You think that someone on a heavy steel bike with downtube shifters can ride faster than I can. Obviously he is a great rider but you have the sick impression that he is a pro racer...
>
> No, Tom, I never claimed Russ Mantle is a pro racer. (Why won't your
> wife help you with reading comprehension? Doesn't she like you?)
>
> I noted your claim that because Jeff or others ride fewer miles than
> you, you must be more expert.
>
> And I said that by the same "logic" Russ Mantle must be even more expert
> than you. His mileage totally eclipses yours! Decades and decades of
> 14,000+ miles per year!
>
> And it seems he rides equipment you disparage. Downtube shifters! Is
> that half step plus granny? Fenders!! A big saddlebag!

Sounds kind of like Jobst Brandt. He used the Carradice saddlebag. Just the medium large size, not the real large size. He made that distinction in his posts. And he used downtube shifters of course. And toe clips. But not fenders.

John B.

Feb 4, 2022, 12:41:26 AM2/4/22
I always thought that the Campi Delta brakes were the slickest things
ever. I did read that they were in fact a rather poor brake but who
cares, damn they were slick looking. And, of course expensive.

Years and years later I came across a bloke at a "swap meet" who had a
whole bunch of Campagnolo stuff and right there at the front of his
table was a set of Delta brakes. Hot Damn! I'm going to, finally, get
a set of Delta Brakes and I bellied right up to the table and says,
"how much for them old brakes there?" The guy sort of smiled and
quoted a price and after my heart palpitations settled down he sort of
smiled some more and commented, "Some of this older Campi stuff is
sort of dear these days".

Needless to say I never did get to have any Delta Brakes (:-(
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Feb 4, 2022, 1:48:43 AM2/4/22
On Thu, 03 Feb 2022 17:45:23 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Feb 2022 14:18:49 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
><cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Why are you making fun of French spelling? And don't you know what the English translation of lanterne is? Or perhaps you don't know that Rouge is also English for Red? https://www.color-hex.com/color-palette/18688
>
>"List of English words of French origin"
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin>
>"... 45% of all English words have a French origin."

Largely, I would suggest, because there was a period in English
History when the "Gentry" spoke French (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 5:56:15 AM2/4/22
Ain't free speech grand?

> I'm still waiting for you to do something about it you sniveling little coward.

I'm still waiting for you to finally go kick someones skull in like you've repeatedly threatened

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 5:58:55 AM2/4/22
+1

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 9:11:31 AM2/4/22
They are of a distinct aesthetic but the leverage is all wrong.

Tom Kunich

Feb 4, 2022, 10:18:48 AM2/4/22
You could adjust them so that the leverage was pretty good. The brake shoe material they were using at the time wore fairly rapidly and this would reduce the leverage and the brakes rapidly faded away. Remember that even Mavic made a set of Delta brakes as well. And didn't I see some modern version of them recently?

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 12:21:48 PM2/4/22
Some of the many Delta foibles you may have forgotten over
and beyond the leverage issue:

https://www.bikehugger.com/posts/the-campagnolo-delta-brake/

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 1:07:16 PM2/4/22
On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 12:21:48 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

> Some of the many Delta foibles you may have forgotten over
> and beyond the leverage issue:
>
> https://www.bikehugger.com/posts/the-campagnolo-delta-brake/

Great link Andrew, thanks for sharing. I laughed at this line:

"Having completely rebuilt those two Delta brake calipers, I almost have a certain fondness for those diabolical mechanical monstrosities, sort of like a Stockholm Syndrome for bicycle mechanics."

That's sort of how I felt about the Rochester Quadrajet back in my motorhead days, until I finally caved and bought a Holley double-pumper.

Sir Ridesalot

Feb 4, 2022, 3:24:29 PM2/4/22
I have the old Dura Ace AX brake calipers on one of my bicycles and those calipers work really well. I remember the first time back in the mid-1980's when I hit the brakes hard in a panic stop and lifted the rear wheel quite a bit. I immediately released the front brake lever to maintain control.

Iirc, the "modulation" of the Campagnolo Delta brake calipers was applied once it was discovered that those brakes didn't stop a bicycle very well. "Modulation" rather than true stopping power was said to be what the pros wanted.

I didn't realize that the Delta brake calipers had such a complicated assembly. The Shimano AX brake calipers are quite simple in comparison.

Cheers

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 3:50:12 PM2/4/22
Yes, Campagnolo Delta brakes were pornography on bikes. The good kind of pornography. I also heard they did not brake too well. You squeezed as hard as you could. Bringing the brake lever in until it stopped against the handlebar. Then you pulled your cleats out of your Alfredo Binda toestraps, and drug your shoes on the ground. And hopefully you would stop before running the stoplight and then being stopped by the car you broadsided. But bike racers don't use brakes in races. So their functionality was a mere sidenote.

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 3:52:45 PM2/4/22
> I have the old Dura Ace AX brake calipers on one of my bicycles and those calipers work really well. I remember the first time back in the mid-1980's when I hit the brakes hard in a panic stop and lifted the rear wheel quite a bit. I immediately released the front brake lever to maintain control.
>
> Iirc, the "modulation" of the Campagnolo Delta brake calipers was applied once it was discovered that those brakes didn't stop a bicycle very well. "Modulation" rather than true stopping power was said to be what the pros wanted.
>
> I didn't realize that the Delta brake calipers had such a complicated assembly. The Shimano AX brake calipers are quite simple in comparison.
>
> Cheers

There's not much similarity except a general shape when
viewed from across the street. A couple of minutes with both
caliper styles and a vernier caliper will reveal why the AX
design actually stops while the Delta leverage is inadequate.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 3:55:35 PM2/4/22
But didn't France and England mix up kings and queens a few times too? The married, widowed, sister king or queen of one became the other's king or queen or maid servant or mistress. Or the cousin or sister of one married the other's aunt and the offspring became queens and kings. I know there is some historical connection between all the royal families of those two countries.

ritzann...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2022, 4:05:26 PM2/4/22
On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 11:21:48 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
> Some of the many Delta foibles you may have forgotten over
> and beyond the leverage issue:
>
> https://www.bikehugger.com/posts/the-campagnolo-delta-brake/
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andy, did you ever get the thrill, excitement, joy, and dare I say it, ecstasy, of working on the Delta brakes in your mechanic life? There must be some millionaire bicyclists up in Madison riding this Campagnolo creation.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 4, 2022, 4:20:10 PM2/4/22
On 2/4/2022 3:24 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 12:21:48 p.m. UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
>>>
>> Some of the many Delta foibles you may have forgotten over
>> and beyond the leverage issue:
>>
>> https://www.bikehugger.com/posts/the-campagnolo-delta-brake/
>> --
>
> I have the old Dura Ace AX brake calipers on one of my bicycles and those calipers work really well. I remember the first time back in the mid-1980's when I hit the brakes hard in a panic stop and lifted the rear wheel quite a bit. I immediately released the front brake lever to maintain control.
>
> Iirc, the "modulation" of the Campagnolo Delta brake calipers was applied once it was discovered that those brakes didn't stop a bicycle very well. "Modulation" rather than true stopping power was said to be what the pros wanted.
>
> I didn't realize that the Delta brake calipers had such a complicated assembly. The Shimano AX brake calipers are quite simple in comparison.

To me, it's interesting to browse _The Data Book_ and other sources to
look at all the historic variations in bike brakes. It seems every
conceivable mechanism has been tried at one time or other. But the Delta
brakes must be close to the record (um... so to speak) for the greatest
number of bits, the most complicated assembly.

I tend to prefer simplicity to complexity.

I suspect the Delta idea was to move the shoes quickly to toward the rim
(i.e. with low mechanical advantage) and have the mechanical advantage
be higher for stronger brake force once they contacted. But that
increase in mechanical advantage would be very dependent on things like
the initial adjustment, the wear of the brake pads, etc. Seems to me it
would be unpredictable.

David Gordon Wilson, in the first edition of _Bicycling Science_, had a
proposal and prototype for a brake that performed that change in
mechanical advantage; but instead of a continuous change, it was
supposed to occur as a step change once the rim was contacted. He
bemoaned the fact that no manufacturers were interested. I'd bet that
the action was unpredictable, perhaps even dangerously so.

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 4:53:13 PM2/4/22
Right you are.

The Habsburg, Hohenzollern, Bourbon, Saxe Goteburg, Romanov
and others have family trees which look like a micrograph of
felt fibers. When one cannot generally marry a commoner
that's just what happens.

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 4:58:47 PM2/4/22
On 2/4/2022 3:05 PM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 4, 2022 at 11:21:48 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
>> Some of the many Delta foibles you may have forgotten over
>> and beyond the leverage issue:
>>
>> https://www.bikehugger.com/posts/the-campagnolo-delta-brake/

> Andy, did you ever get the thrill, excitement, joy, and dare I say it, ecstasy, of working on the Delta brakes in your mechanic life? There must be some millionaire bicyclists up in Madison riding this Campagnolo creation.

Of course. We still service them. I even made a handy 3.5mm
T-wrench. Delta do not lend themselves to home mechanics.

Although more expensive than, f'rinstance my own Weinmann
500, they weren't 'out of reach' pricey compared to common
things much more expensive at that time, a Holley carburetor
or an early HP Laser printer.

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 5:01:57 PM2/4/22

Tom Kunich

Feb 4, 2022, 5:12:48 PM2/4/22
Maybe that was the original one. The one I had wasn't Record but I think Chorus. The arms that in that picture show that they are at an X shape had the initial position of the arms much lower with the hinges horizontal. This gave measurably greater leverage. It didn't last long but when you first set it up the Delta brakes worked pretty good. I have a real problem with Campy and their brakes. They had the Campy 9 speed dual axle brakes. They were issued for a while on the 10 speed. Then they invented the Skeleton brakes and those things worked well enough but were no where as powerful with the previous brakes.

Tom Kunich

Feb 4, 2022, 5:20:41 PM2/4/22
I think that it wasn't Chorus but Croce D'Aune? In any case while similar, that mechanism was different enough that the brakes worked pretty good for a short while.

Tom Kunich

Feb 4, 2022, 5:27:44 PM2/4/22
I remember what it was - there was a 3 pivot and a 5 pivot design. One of them (probably the 5 pivot) worked fairly well but only when it was perfectly adjusted.

AMuzi

Feb 4, 2022, 5:44:48 PM2/4/22

John B.

Feb 4, 2022, 9:06:52 PM2/4/22
Well, there was some miscegenation (:-) but the change from
"Angle-Saxon" was largely due to the Norman (French) William defeating
the English King Harold Godwinson and of course placed all these who
supported him in positions of authority. Thus the "nobility" spoke
French while the commoners spoke "English"
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Feb 4, 2022, 9:10:52 PM2/4/22
And to a great extent, why would one want to marry a commoner when
marrying an "equal" might give one more fame and fortune.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Ralph Barone

Feb 5, 2022, 12:41:34 AM2/5/22
And to steer this torturous thread drift back to bicycles, at least one
person believes that the invention of the bicycle did more to reduce
inbreeding than anything else in human history.

https://www.edge.org/conversation/steve_jones-steve-jones-on-extinction

John B.

Feb 5, 2022, 1:42:41 AM2/5/22
(:-) Well, I'm not sure if it was the bicycle, per se, but certainly
it was improvements in transportation. The writer talks about coming
from a small Welsh village where almost everyone married a neighbor,
so to speak, but who, in the village, ever traveled more then a day's
walk from the village?
--
Cheers,

John B.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Feb 5, 2022, 8:12:58 AM2/5/22
On Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 12:41:34 AM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:

> And to steer this torturous thread drift back to bicycles, at least one
> person believes that the invention of the bicycle did more to reduce
> inbreeding than anything else in human history.
>
> https://www.edge.org/conversation/steve_jones-steve-jones-on-extinction

Nice link!

AMuzi

Feb 5, 2022, 9:15:39 AM2/5/22
Thank you that's interesting.

Speaking of royalty and bicycles, the last queen of Hiva
Hiva Oa willed that she be buried with her beloved bicycle
and they were.

Frank Krygowski

Feb 5, 2022, 1:16:49 PM2/5/22
It was. Articles like that are one reason I don't complain about topics
of conversation changing, either online or in real life.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.

Feb 5, 2022, 8:03:51 PM2/5/22
If that is Vaekehu Queen of Nuka Hiva, she also claimed to have eaten
her first husband (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

Feb 6, 2022, 11:21:51 AM2/6/22
Don't recall her name but everyone has good habits and bad.
Not sure which is which here (the island is poorer by one
bicycle vs maybe the guy had it coming?)

Tom Kunich

Feb 6, 2022, 6:31:21 PM2/6/22
Odd thing happened today, Since the ears tore off of the 810, I ordered a new rear case and decided to use the 800. About 10 miles into the ride, the speed went to zero. I assumed that the magnet had slipped since I put on a better set of wheels. I stopped and looked and the magnet was fine. I continued riding and the speed remained at zero. Now, the speed is supposed to come off of the sensor and the sensor was matched to the 800. So I continued riding and about 4 miles later it all turned back on with speed and distance again working.

Could the problem be that it had lost the GPS lock?

I will have a new 830 on Tuesday and it has a much more powerful uC which will maintain multiple GPS locks through almost anything. The 810 gets a lock quite a bit faster than the 800.