58% of California is in Heavy Drought.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2017, 4:59:35 PM1/8/17
But the entire state is on a flood watch.

But the riding will undoubtedly be marvelous this spring with new growth everywhere and the old dead growth knocked down by the heavy winds and water soaked root systems.

The hills will be alive with plants and animals everywhere. The bird watchers made a count a week or so ago and I'll be seeing one this coming weekend to see the results among other things.

Since I saw a wolf on Mt. Hamilton and all called me a liar since there are no wolves in California they have a bit of egg on their faces discovering that there have been wolves spotted in several other places in California. There really are no such things as "lone wolves". These are very temporary. The Alpha Male or head wolf will evict the male pups from the pack after a couple of years when they get large enough to be a possible threat to his dominance. So seeing one wolf insures that many others are near.

The rivers even close to the cities are now turning up river otters. Naturalists are sort of confused about them. They only recently (relatively) discovered that sea otters are absolutely necessary to grow the kelp forests that grow the large diversity of sea creatures and other flora that maintain the health of the coastal waters. Now since river otters had disappeared so long ago the reappearance of them gives them pause. They do not understand what part they play in the ecosystem. They are still struggling with beavers as an absolute necessity as well.

If you LOOK while you ride it is amazing the things you can see. Now is only one of these reappearing animals will control the almost uncontrollable Crow and Raven populations.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 8, 2017, 5:52:04 PM1/8/17

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 8, 2017, 6:01:47 PM1/8/17
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 13:59:33 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

>But the entire state is on a flood watch.

The recent rains might help with reservoirs and surface water, but it
will take years to recharge the aquifier and return water table levels
to normal:
<http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>

This is from 3 years ago, but is still generally valid:
"NASA Analysis: 11 Trillion Gallons to Replenish California Drought
Losses"
<https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-analysis-11-trillion-gallons-to-replenish-california-drought-losses/>

Meanwhile, this is from only 4 days ago:
"California eyes treated wastewater for human consumption"
<http://www.sonomanews.com/news/6506804-181/california-eyes-treated-wastewater-for>

>Since I saw a wolf on Mt. Hamilton and all called me a liar since
>there are no wolves in California they have a bit of egg on their
>faces discovering that there have been wolves spotted in several
>other places in California.

There have been wolves in California for many years:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif>
It's just that us werewolves have a public relations problem and
prefer to maintain a low profile. Pretending that we're extinct is a
good defensive measure. Please keep your wolf siting to yourself.

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 8, 2017, 6:22:16 PM1/8/17

the drought began when I was thrown out.

the drought ends when I went back.

send $$$$

I was calling a wolf at Ortega Highway State Park n Rallye ...why I got the wolf to sit down in a field at 200', roll over n enthusiastically wag his tail where upon a Ranger began screaming 'ITS A DOG ITS A DOG'

ok ok its a dog.......

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 8, 2017, 6:31:29 PM1/8/17

russell...@yahoo.com

Jan 8, 2017, 7:22:01 PM1/8/17
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 3:59:35 PM UTC-6, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> But the entire state is on a flood watch.

You seem to be confusing droughts and floods. Floods are immediate events. Droughts are long term. Floods happen for a day or two or so. Droughts happen for years or more. Its very easy to have a flood during a drought. Droughts dry the soil so much it is unable to absorb any surface water. So a light rain which occurs once a year can result in a flood. The surface water has no where to go except through people's houses and cities. Haven't you ever watched the TV shows which show rains in the desert. They happen once a year or so and dump a foot or so of water in a few hours. All the water runs off and floods everything. But its still a desert and in a drought. Its also very possible to get heavy rains during a drought. If it rains 4 inches in one day, this does not counteract the fact the entire state is 48 inches of rain below normal. Still a drought. The 4 inches would cause a flash flood just for fun. There is also the very important consideration of frequency of waterfall. Plants and everything else need small amounts of water delivered frequently. Crops and everything else cannot grow if they receive one foot of rain in 24 hours and then nothing for the rest of the growing cycle. Even if 12 inches of rain is the correct annual waterfall, it has to be spaced out during the year for everything to do well. Rain is not like money. You can receive $1 million once a year or $2,739.73 per day all year. Doesn't really make any difference.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2017, 7:29:11 PM1/8/17
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 13:59:33 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >But the entire state is on a flood watch.
>
> The recent rains might help with reservoirs and surface water, but it
> will take years to recharge the aquifier and return water table levels
> to normal:
> <http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
>
> This is from 3 years ago, but is still generally valid:
> "NASA Analysis: 11 Trillion Gallons to Replenish California Drought
> Losses"
> <https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-analysis-11-trillion-gallons-to-replenish-california-drought-losses/>
>
> Meanwhile, this is from only 4 days ago:
> "California eyes treated wastewater for human consumption"
> <http://www.sonomanews.com/news/6506804-181/california-eyes-treated-wastewater-for>
>
> >Since I saw a wolf on Mt. Hamilton and all called me a liar since
> >there are no wolves in California they have a bit of egg on their
> >faces discovering that there have been wolves spotted in several
> >other places in California.
>
> There have been wolves in California for many years:
> <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif>
> It's just that us werewolves have a public relations problem and
> prefer to maintain a low profile. Pretending that we're extinct is a
> good defensive measure. Please keep your wolf siting to yourself.

Jeff - Did you actually READ the NASA paper? http://eprints.qut.edu.au/61707/1/JOH_2013.pdf is an analysis of the rates of recharge of aquafers and section 2 (page 9) is the true guts of the matter. The rest of the paper only tests these theories and finds them to be true.

And what is the conclusions of California? I think they are totally false. Why? Because the recharge rates they are quoting are STEADY STATE. This means that if farmers were to draw water ONLY from the aquifers as they did in the drought period it would require some 3 years of NORMAL rain to recharge.

But since water is much cheaper from water services using full reservoirs this is not a proper view.

The NASA paper makes the rather surprising statement that California's aquifers hold no more water than 1 1/2 times the total water held in California's largest reservoir. And that amount has so far been exceeded several times over.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2017, 7:37:36 PM1/8/17
russell - please give me some credit for having some idea of what I'm speaking of.

Are you aware of HOW you refill the reservoirs? Do you have any idea of the effects of the Stage 1 rains that California has been having for the last 2 months?

If you gained some $2740 a day you could invest it and done properly you could make 12% or more in addition to your million.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 8, 2017, 8:31:34 PM1/8/17
No, I skimmed it and moved on to the original calculations on
groundwater recharge rates. I am not a hydrologist, but I found the
stuff interesting. From my browser history:
<https://ca.water.usgs.gov/data/drought/groundwater.html>
<https://earthzine.org/2016/02/23/recharging-californias-diminishing-aquifers/>
<http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/wntsc/H&H/NEHhydrology/ch10.pdf>
I tried to estimate how many inches of rain, over some percentage of
the state, it would take to produce 11 trillion gallons (33,700,00
acre-ft) of groundwater recharge, and gave up as I was making far too
many assumptions and bad guesses.

>And what is the conclusions of California? I think they are totally
>false. Why? Because the recharge rates they are quoting are STEADY
>STATE. This means that if farmers were to draw water ONLY from
>the aquifers as they did in the drought period it would require
>some 3 years of NORMAL rain to recharge.
>
>But since water is much cheaper from water services using full
>reservoirs this is not a proper view.

So, you expect farmers to dump all the water conservation equipment
and procedures and return to the bad old days of over-irrigating and
water loss by evaporation? It's possible, but probably unlikely. The
state will not slack off on water use controls until the dry well
tests show an increase in water table levels and a reduction in salt
water incursion. That will take several years.

>The NASA paper makes the rather surprising statement that California's
>aquifers hold no more water than 1 1/2 times the total water held
>in California's largest reservoir. And that amount has so far
>been exceeded several times over.

What page? I couldn't find that statement.

California's largest reservoir is Lake Shasta.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_reservoirs_of_California>
which holds 4,552,000 acre-ft or 5.6 km^3. I'm not sure if the
underground aquifer includes those that were recently discovered.
"Large Aquifers Discovered Under California's Drought-Stricken Central
Valley"
<https://weather.com/science/environment/news/california-aquifers-discovered>
"Stanford researchers show that there are about 2,700 cubic
kilometers of accessible fresh or brackish water locked in
the Central Valley’s deep underground aquifers. That’s
almost triple the 1,020 cubic kilometers of freshwater that
had been previously estimated."
That would be 482 times the largest reservoir discovered, and 182
times the pre-discovery aquifer estimate. Something is obviously
wrong here.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 8, 2017, 9:59:51 PM1/8/17
Water. Sand. Gravel

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 6:53:28 AM1/9/17

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 6:54:57 AM1/9/17

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 7:47:37 AM1/9/17

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 7:50:48 AM1/9/17

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 8:53:15 AM1/9/17
Jeff, doing some research I looked up the historic water table in California in order to answer your question about "water conservation equipment".

Department of Water Resources: Groundwater Data and Monitoring.

This data is no more recent than 2011 but the story this tells is rather telling. There IS no water table in California. The Central Valley is essentially watered by river levels percolating through the porous soil. And the rivers are fed by the Sierra snow pack.

And the "water table" is WELL below the river levels except in the areas where the water flowing through the soil is forced over non-porous areas such as around Turlock in ONE very small area.

Otherwise to get water you have to drill down over 100 feet. The story this tells answers WHY farm windmills were only run to fill the animal water troughs. Because the energy necessary to pull the water up from that depth was too high and the percolation rate into the well hole too slow to make getting water in that manner as cheap as running a water pipe from a county supply line fed from a reservoir.

This also suggests that without the coastal range ALL of the groundwater would be brackish to the extend that the ground would soon fill with ocean salts and wells would give nothing other than brackish water.

So be VERY careful of anything where they are talking about "underground reservoirs of brackish water" because that has to be around the Delta.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 8:56:09 AM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 7:50:48 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/precipMaps.php?group=nca&hour=24&synoptic=0
>
> and a Data Exchange Center...

data exchange

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nv/nwis/uv/?site_no=10348000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 9:14:45 AM1/9/17

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 9:19:26 AM1/9/17
The numbers you didn't find were in the very first sentence of the NASA paper: "It will take about 11 trillion gallons of water (42 cubic kilometers) -- around 1.5 times the maximum volume of the largest U.S. reservoir."

There are 6,000.000 square inches to the acre. There are 231 cubic inches to the gallon. That means that one inch of rain falling on a single acre is 26,000 gallons. This is why you generally refer to rainfall in acre feet. One acre foot of water would equal to about a third of a million gallons - ONE ACRE.

The area in question (cropland) is approximately 1/5 of the state of California pt 27 million acres and it is ALL being inundated.

Assuming that we have minimum levels of rain at a bare foot over these areas so far this year this is equal to 8.5 Trillion gallons of water.

Assuming that the water percolation rate is a mere 10% we have had almost a trillion gallons of water added to the water table in half of the normal rainy season.

NONE of this includes the far greater amounts of water that almost all gets fed into the central valley from the coastal and sierra ranges of the FAR higher rainfall levels in northern California.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 9, 2017, 11:36:55 AM1/9/17
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 06:19:24 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

>The numbers you didn't find were in the very first sentence of
>the NASA paper: "It will take about 11 trillion gallons of water
>(42 cubic kilometers) -- around 1.5 times the maximum volume
>of the largest U.S. reservoir."

Oops. I was looking at the wrong paper.
<https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-analysis-11-trillion-gallons-to-replenish-california-drought-losses>
and as you note, it's obvious not correct.

>There are 6,000.000 square inches to the acre. There are
>231 cubic inches to the gallon. That means that one inch
>of rain falling on a single acre is 26,000 gallons. This
>is why you generally refer to rainfall in acre feet. One
>acre foot of water would equal to about a third of a
>million gallons - ONE ACRE.

1 acre-ft = 325,851 gallons.

>The area in question (cropland) is approximately 1/5 of
>the state of California pt 27 million acres and it is
>ALL being inundated.
>
>Assuming that we have minimum levels of rain at a bare
>foot over these areas so far this year this is equal
>to 8.5 Trillion gallons of water.

Most of which will be runoff and end up in the ocean. That's what I
as trying to estimate by reading the various papers on the topic of
groundwater recharge. It's quite non-linear and varies with soil
conditions and previous rainfall (ground saturation).

>Assuming that the water percolation rate is a mere 10% we
>have had almost a trillion gallons of water added to
>the water table in half of the normal rainy season.

Methinks it's much less than that, especially when the ground is
saturated by high rainfall in a short period of time. I don't want to
do the math, but if I take the total ocean discharge rate for all the
major California rivers during the current storm:
<https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/current/?type=flow>
I suspect I will get a fairly large percentage of the rainfall for the
last storm. The remainder will be delivered by the rivers over a
period of days (or weeks) as the accumulated surface water slowly
drains into the rivers.

>NONE of this includes the far greater amounts of water
>that almost all gets fed into the central valley from
>the coastal and sierra ranges of the FAR higher rainfall
>levels in northern California.

Yep. There has been some analysis done on the local well water to
determine it's origin. Most of our ground water comes from the
Sierras, not from local percolation. However, the major consumer, the
City of Santa Cruz gets 95% of its water from surface sources.

Gotta run (literally)...

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 12:21:27 PM1/9/17
Jeff, I am making MINIMAL estimates of 10%. Why is that? Because every gallon of freshwater run-off has only ONE exit from the central valley - the Carquinez Straits.

The average STREAMFLOW that enters the valley totally separate from the rain falling in the valley itself is some 32 million acre feet per year. 10 trillion gallons. This has to exit the valley almost entirely during low tides. Otherwise it is greatly impeded.

The numbers are available from the Library of Congress. There was a paper I read a long time ago that had to do with "Ground Water in the Central Valley" or some such.

As a scientist the very FIRST thing you learn is NEVER to trust the government on anything that is presently in the public eye. There is alway too much political profit hanging on both sides of the balance beam and whoever is presently in power gains the extra weight. Climate Change is the perfect example.

Plus a very large amount of "scientific information" is constructed upon the data of a single brick with an entire pyramid of supposition, theory and hypothesis above balancing so that the slightest gust of new information topples it.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 12:27:16 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 8:36:55 AM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 06:19:24 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >The numbers you didn't find were in the very first sentence of
> >the NASA paper: "It will take about 11 trillion gallons of water
> >(42 cubic kilometers) -- around 1.5 times the maximum volume
> >of the largest U.S. reservoir."
>
> Oops. I was looking at the wrong paper.
> <https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-analysis-11-trillion-gallons-to-replenish-california-drought-losses>
> and as you note, it's obvious not correct.
>
> >There are 6,000.000 square inches to the acre. There are
> >231 cubic inches to the gallon. That means that one inch
> >of rain falling on a single acre is 26,000 gallons. This
> >is why you generally refer to rainfall in acre feet. One
> >acre foot of water would equal to about a third of a
> >million gallons - ONE ACRE.
>
> 1 acre-ft = 325,851 gallons.

Of what use is a precise number in the middle of a hundred suppositions? Remember that we are discussing both present rainfall, over an extremely large area in which there are actually areas that this downpour has missed entirely, and the MEAN rainfall. So absolutely none of these figures is very accurate to within 20% and giving a number exact to the third decimal point in the middle is meaningless.

Sir Ridesalot

Jan 9, 2017, 12:49:22 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 11:36:55 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Snipped
> 1 acre-ft = 325,851 gallons.
>
> >The area in question (cropland) is approximately 1/5 of
> >the state of California pt 27 million acres and it is
> >ALL being inundated.
> >
> >Assuming that we have minimum levels of rain at a bare
> >foot over these areas so far this year this is equal
> >to 8.5 Trillion gallons of water.
>
> Most of which will be runoff and end up in the ocean. That's what I
> as trying to estimate by reading the various papers on the topic of
> groundwater recharge. It's quite non-linear and varies with soil
> conditions and previous rainfall (ground saturation).

Snipped

Long periods of no or little rain can cause the ground to dry out to the point that it does NOT absorb much water. You really do NOT want to be in a canyon with steep sides or in a dry weash in the desert when it rains even miles away or in an area that has had a long drought. That's because the water runs off and water levels in washes or canyons can rise very high EXTREMELY quickly and the force of that water roaring through is virtually irresistable. You'd never be able to outrun it either.

That's part of what makes it so hard for underground aquifiers to get replenished after a drought = the water runs off into rivers and such before it has a chance to penetrate to the aquifier.

Cheers

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 1:20:51 PM1/9/17
What you saw was most likely a coyote, though, Tom

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 1:23:12 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:49:22 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> Long periods of no or little rain can cause the ground to dry out to the point that it does NOT absorb much water. You really do NOT want to be in a canyon with steep sides or in a dry weash in the desert when it rains even miles away or in an area that has had a long drought. That's because the water runs off and water levels in washes or canyons can rise very high EXTREMELY quickly and the force of that water roaring through is virtually irresistable. You'd never be able to outrun it either.
>
> That's part of what makes it so hard for underground aquifiers to get replenished after a drought = the water runs off into rivers and such before it has a chance to penetrate to the aquifier.

However much truth there is to that this isn't the case since we had a month of very slow rains that gave the ground lot of time to reabsorb water all the way down to the water table.

Now the only thing standing in front of absorption is the normal percolation rates of the soils in various areas.

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 1:25:19 PM1/9/17
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 13:59:33 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >But the entire state is on a flood watch.
>
> The recent rains might help with reservoirs and surface water, but it
> will take years to recharge the aquifier and return water table levels
> to normal:
> <http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>
>
> This is from 3 years ago, but is still generally valid:
> "NASA Analysis: 11 Trillion Gallons to Replenish California Drought
> Losses"
> <https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-analysis-11-trillion-gallons-to-replenish-california-drought-losses/>
>
> Meanwhile, this is from only 4 days ago:
> "California eyes treated wastewater for human consumption"
> <http://www.sonomanews.com/news/6506804-181/california-eyes-treated-wastewater-for>
>
> >Since I saw a wolf on Mt. Hamilton and all called me a liar since
> >there are no wolves in California they have a bit of egg on their
> >faces discovering that there have been wolves spotted in several
> >other places in California.
>
> There have been wolves in California for many years:
> <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif>

You weren't doin that the day I met you

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 1:26:28 PM1/9/17
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 6:59:51 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> Water. Sand. Gravel

clean or brackish?

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 1:26:33 PM1/9/17
Right. We've always watched coyotes run across a mile of more of open ground at high speed. Coyotes are know for that don't you know. Are you aware that the spinal structure of a coyote and a wolf are different and that they have a different gait?

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 1:35:17 PM1/9/17
I should add that you should think about this for a second Doug. I'm sure that it's clear to you that a scavenger like a coyote has a completely different physical requirement than a predator.

Phil Lee

Jan 9, 2017, 2:13:27 PM1/9/17
Sir Ridesalot <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> considered Mon, 9 Jan 2017
It's a shame my father is no longer with us, as he quite literally
wrote the book on some of this stuff, with actual formulae to
calculate the expected retention of water on various ground types -
working back all the way to rainfall radar, so you could work out
flood likelihood in any given area from the radar images.
That was back when rainfall radar was a whole new concept.
Not being a member of the professional bodies of which he was a
member, I don't have access to the papers which he had published on
the subject.

Of course, rainfall - runoff - evaporation = water retention.
That part is simple and obvious.

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 2:30:59 PM1/9/17
As you can see Tom they are almost the same dam thing
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Gray-Wolf/Identification

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 2:31:40 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-8, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
They don't have em anywhere near Mt Hamilton
Tom I've been hearing this crap for 30 years

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 2:40:17 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 10:26:33 AM UTC-8, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
Sounds like you saw a coywolf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 3:47:23 PM1/9/17
That is a coyote in winter coat and showing pictures like that doesn't give you a perspective on what a large difference in size there is. A wolf is larger than a German Shepard many of which I owned while a coyote is significantly smaller.

Coyote's DO NOT run long distances and they have a hopping gait. Wolves have a LONG loping gait capable of running down dear in full flight.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 3:49:05 PM1/9/17
And maybe you've been seeing Peekayotes.

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 3:51:31 PM1/9/17
That's prokaryotes

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 4:18:44 PM1/9/17
Exactly why would you think it's crap? Because you personally have never observed it? Even in Montana and Idaho where they KNOW wolves are present they only get camera shots of them on rare occasions. Most people in those states sound as incredulous as you. I remember asking some farmers in Cor d'Lain about it and being laughed out of the cafe. "They been gone fer a century"

AMuzi

Jan 9, 2017, 5:30:50 PM1/9/17
Saw this in Science News;

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/distinctions-blur-between-wolf-species

DNA says coyotes/wolves overlap quite a bit now.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 6:27:46 PM1/9/17
down deep prob antediluvian.

did the rice paddies on upper Sac dry ?

NNJ had or has Lake Passaic. I'll look: goo.gl/ug1OC4

Lake Passaic was artesian with flowing fountains before The Bridge. Glacial water in gravel. That's Home or was caws as you know you can't ...

of interest are the photo spread of pre and post revolutionary war USA and preindustrial. I lived on Washington's escape routes and at the end of Speedwell Ave where is said the American industrial revolution began. Sam Morse's business mgr Alfred Vail had a summer home there at a mill pond.

Terrific land buys. HS ( Zisk, Daniels, Krisiloff and Dante) was at the intersection of Vail n Baldwin (locomotive works) a land of vast fields. Take a look at V&B today at Parsippany NJ.

I last herd THEY pumped it dry. ?

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 6:29:03 PM1/9/17

wolves have a larger head n more body mass

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 6:36:23 PM1/9/17

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 7:19:22 PM1/9/17
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 2:30:50 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

> Saw this in Science News;
>
> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/distinctions-blur-between-wolf-species
>
> DNA says coyotes/wolves overlap quite a bit now.

Andrew, these are called hybrids and they don't occur normally nor in high numbers. In Yellowstone wolves kill coyotes, they don't just chase them away like they do elsewhere.

Hybridization 98% of the time causes less fitter specimens. This is why we have wolves and coyotes as separate species in the first place.

There are no magic words to DNA. Wolves and coyotes certainly overlapped after all they have the same ancestors. But the ways that you tell when DNA differences occurred is extremely roundabout. I have not seen a DNA analysis that actually made a study beyond saying that this coyote has DNA from a wolf in it and that one doesn't and that somehow sets a time period. It doesn't because the absence of the wolf DNA can be the evolution and not a hybridization in the opposite direction.

Regardless of Doug's chanting that was not a wolf. It was very large, ran WAY too far and too fast. Within my eyesight it ran full speed for over a mile before getting out of sight. Scavengers like coyotes do not have running stamina.

And those pictures that you're showing are from zoo animals. They are far too well fed. So similarities in appearances aren't as they look in the wild. In fact http://tinyurl.com/jog39fh

Doug Landau

Jan 9, 2017, 7:33:52 PM1/9/17
Those are some small scrawny ones. The ones that stroll leisurely across our lawn in Los Gatos look much larger, much more well-fed, and generally more like wolves than the ones in these pix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+fat+coyote&espv=2&biw=1126&bih=660&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7o_2KqrbRAhXmw1QKHRrnC2EQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=zrZXO6YOCNA2UM%3A

AMuzi

Jan 9, 2017, 7:45:58 PM1/9/17
Thank you.

I am not an expert. I read across a variety of areas and
sorta half remember things once in a while. When this
discussion turned to taxonomy of wolves versus coyotes, I
remembered reading that article. Aside from the stock images
shown, the actual research was intriguing.

Tim McNamara

Jan 9, 2017, 8:03:31 PM1/9/17
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 15:01:47 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 13:59:33 -0800 (PST), cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>But the entire state is on a flood watch.
>
> The recent rains might help with reservoirs and surface water, but it
>will take years to recharge the aquifier and return water table levels
>to normal:
><http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA>

Yep, drought is more than simple rainfall or lack thereof. And in
California water is an enormous issue due to both the large population
and intensive agriculture. The aquifers are critical to food
production, livability and property values. A house with no water is
not going to sell for very much, after all.

> This is from 3 years ago, but is still generally valid: "NASA
>Analysis: 11 Trillion Gallons to Replenish California Drought Losses"
><https://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/december/nasa-analysis-11-trillion-gallons-to-replenish-california-drought-losses/>
>
> Meanwhile, this is from only 4 days ago: "California eyes treated
>wastewater for human consumption"
><http://www.sonomanews.com/news/6506804-181/california-eyes-treated-wastewater-for>

Well, ultimately all or nearly all of our water is recycled wastewater.

>>Since I saw a wolf on Mt. Hamilton and all called me a liar since
>>there are no wolves in California they have a bit of egg on their
>>faces discovering that there have been wolves spotted in several other
>>places in California.
>
> There have been wolves in California for many years:
><http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif>
> It's just that us werewolves have a public relations problem and
> prefer to maintain a low profile. Pretending that we're extinct is a
> good defensive measure. Please keep your wolf siting to yourself.

LOL! A wolf on Mt. Hamilton? I've never been there so I can't refute
or confirm, but individual wolves are known to travel very long
distances. One female traveled from far northern Minnesota to the
suburbs of Minneapolis-St. Paul and back a few years ago. And of course
many people will spot a coyote and think they've seen a wolf (in the
eastern US, they might be seeing a coyote-eastern wolf hybrid).

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 9, 2017, 8:42:27 PM1/9/17

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2017, 9:47:11 PM1/9/17
Tim, the aquifer map I showed you demonstrates beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is both difficult and expensive to pump water out of a well.

I have a cousin with a 40 acre plot in Tracy and used to have another with what I remember as a 40 acre Walnut Orchard but my older brother remembers as a tomato farm with Walnut trees around it in the Santa Clara Valley along what is now El Camino Real. Neither of these people used well water for large farms. (Though I distinctly remember harvesting walnuts with a tree shaker and there was another machine that would separate the good ones from the bad and also get rid of all the leaves and sticks that fell out when the shaker was shaking the tree. It looked like an inclined conveyer belt with a shelf on it. It was similar to a gold mining machine. Good walnuts are much heavier than the bad ones so at a particular speed and shake rate all of the light detritus would keep falling down while the heavy walnuts would catch in shelves on the conveyer belt and be shifted over the top into wooden boxes for shipping.)

With a water table at 200 feet the rivers and the plumbing systems run by the counties are MUCH cheaper.

You don't think that you turn on the water and it runs like out of a hose do you? When you pump water you draw off all of the immediate water and the rest has to percolate into that well area. There are ways of drilling these wells so that they have a fairly large reservoir at the bottom for water to seep into when you aren't pumping but you are STILL limited by percolation rates of the soil.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 10, 2017, 2:02:10 AM1/10/17
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 10:25:16 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
<doug....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There have been wolves in California for many years:
>> <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/jeffl/jeffl-wolf.gif>

>You weren't doin that the day I met you

I only do that on the night of the full moon. I might consider
inviting you to watch the transformation, but I might be tempted to
devour you. Too much of a risk methinks.

Some of my werewolf stories from about 1997:
<http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/werewolf.txt>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 10, 2017, 7:59:42 AM1/10/17
So, Mr. Liebermann you're illness is not recent ?

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2017, 10:37:34 AM1/10/17
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 1:59:35 PM UTC-8, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> But the entire state is on a flood watch.
>
> But the riding will undoubtedly be marvelous this spring with new growth everywhere and the old dead growth knocked down by the heavy winds and water soaked root systems.
>
> The hills will be alive with plants and animals everywhere. The bird watchers made a count a week or so ago and I'll be seeing one this coming weekend to see the results among other things.
>
> Since I saw a wolf on Mt. Hamilton and all called me a liar since there are no wolves in California they have a bit of egg on their faces discovering that there have been wolves spotted in several other places in California. There really are no such things as "lone wolves". These are very temporary. The Alpha Male or head wolf will evict the male pups from the pack after a couple of years when they get large enough to be a possible threat to his dominance. So seeing one wolf insures that many others are near.
>
> The rivers even close to the cities are now turning up river otters. Naturalists are sort of confused about them. They only recently (relatively) discovered that sea otters are absolutely necessary to grow the kelp forests that grow the large diversity of sea creatures and other flora that maintain the health of the coastal waters. Now since river otters had disappeared so long ago the reappearance of them gives them pause. They do not understand what part they play in the ecosystem. They are still struggling with beavers as an absolute necessity as well.
>
> If you LOOK while you ride it is amazing the things you can see. Now is only one of these reappearing animals will control the almost uncontrollable Crow and Raven populations.

This morning I looked up the present seasonal rainfall, the normal for this time and the seasonal normal.

The season begins Oct 1, so we are presently a quarter of he way into the yearly measurement.

Northern California has about their seasonal max.
The bay area about one and a half times the season to this date normal.
Central California has between one and a half and twice season to this date normal. Some locations have hit their seasonal max.

It is predicted to rain steadily for the next two days and then we'll have a week's break where I can quickly get some riding in so all of my muscles don't atrophy.

Frank Krygowski

Jan 10, 2017, 12:38:14 PM1/10/17
On 1/9/2017 5:30 PM, AMuzi wrote:

> Saw this in Science News;
>
> https://www.sciencenews.org/article/distinctions-blur-between-wolf-species
>
> DNA says coyotes/wolves overlap quite a bit now.

Well, Tom knows DNA, of course.

FWIW: A couple years ago we were in Nova Scotia, and Cape Breton. At
one recreated historic village a blacksmith was forging a sword. When I
asked what he'd use it for, he said probably just a wall hanging unless
he needed it against a coyote-wolf hybrid. He claimed they were getting
common and were much less shy of humans than wolves, and occasionally
much more aggressive.

I filed the report as "Huh, never heard of that; wonder if it's true."

Last week on the PBS program Nova, those animals were part of the
hour-long show. Seems in the east, at least, they originated in
Algonquin National Park, which had an isolated wolf population. When
coyotes recently extended their range into the area, the coyotes and
wolves mated, and they continue to do so.

And the spread of coyotes has been remarkable. They now take young deer
in our forest preserve - a good thing, overall, I think. And with luck,
they may convince people to keep their dogs on leash.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 10, 2017, 1:07:38 PM1/10/17
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 04:59:37 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
<avag...@gmail.com> wrote:

>So, Mr. Liebermann you're illness is not recent ?

Well, that's a problem. We've tried to get lycanthropy listed as a
genuine malady worthy of a medical billing code so that it is covered
by various government and private insurance plans. So far, this has
been unsuccessful, but we'll keep trying. The main problem seems to
be getting medical staff to work on the night of the full moon.
Meanwhile, it's not an official illness. Also, from the point of view
of a werewolf, normal humans are the one's with the illness and are
considered little better than a meal.

Speaking of the full moon, have you ever wondered why we went to the
moon and brought back 382 kg (842 lbs) of moon rocks?

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2017, 1:29:25 PM1/10/17
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 10:07:38 AM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 04:59:37 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
> <avag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >So, Mr. Liebermann you're illness is not recent ?
>
> Well, that's a problem. We've tried to get lycanthropy listed as a
> genuine malady worthy of a medical billing code so that it is covered
> by various government and private insurance plans. So far, this has
> been unsuccessful, but we'll keep trying. The main problem seems to
> be getting medical staff to work on the night of the full moon.
> Meanwhile, it's not an official illness. Also, from the point of view
> of a werewolf, normal humans are the one's with the illness and are
> considered little better than a meal.
>
> Speaking of the full moon, have you ever wondered why we went to the
> moon and brought back 382 kg (842 lbs) of moon rocks?

The entry orbit of the Lunar Lander has to be EXTREMELY precise. They had to have backup plans in case the Lander failed to leave orbit and have to re-enter without having fired the engines that would take them to the Moon.

In those days it could take weeks to work out the re-entry orbits so after flying to the moon they carried back approximately the same weight as the fuel consumed. This was the short cut to massive calculations.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2017, 1:31:46 PM1/10/17
I should add that these rocks in and of themselves had a lot of scientific (geological) value.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 10, 2017, 2:57:13 PM1/10/17
no, why ?

jbeattie

Jan 10, 2017, 4:23:07 PM1/10/17
Two days of rain! My God -- how do you endure! I rode in the rain on melting ice/snow slush this morning. I'm riding on CX tires, which are lousy on pavement because they squirm -- but they are better than studs, which ride like tank tracks (or at least my cheap ones do). Tomorrow will be sheet ice, and I'll drive-skate to work. I look forward to getting back to my rain tires when the ice/snow finally goes away. I would never not ride because it is raining (and above freezing -- I draw the line at freezing rain). I just put on different clothes.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2017, 6:10:40 PM1/10/17
Well, you're welcome to come to California and ride around these drivers anytime.

Sir Ridesalot

Jan 10, 2017, 6:12:51 PM1/10/17
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 4:23:07 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 7:37:34 AM UTC-8, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
Snipped
> > It is predicted to rain steadily for the next two days and then we'll have a week's break where I can quickly get some riding in so all of my muscles don't atrophy.
>
> Two days of rain! My God -- how do you endure! I rode in the rain on melting ice/snow slush this morning. I'm riding on CX tires, which are lousy on pavement because they squirm -- but they are better than studs, which ride like tank tracks (or at least my cheap ones do). Tomorrow will be sheet ice, and I'll drive-skate to work. I look forward to getting back to my rain tires when the ice/snow finally goes away. I would never not ride because it is raining (and above freezing -- I draw the line at freezing rain). I just put on different clothes.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

I too ride a lot in the rain. Sometimes I've even had to ride in freezing rain. THAT can be "verrrry interestink". LOL

I like 26" x 2.125 or 2.25" big knob tires for snow. I drop the pressure down to 15 - 20 psi in deep snow or on ice. I too like cyclo-cross tires in slush because they go right through it to the pavement. My tires are 700C x 30 mm Schwalbe CX Pros. I don't find those squirmy on pavememt and they can go to 90 psi.

Cheers

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 10, 2017, 6:25:13 PM1/10/17

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 10, 2017, 6:29:51 PM1/10/17

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 10, 2017, 6:53:08 PM1/10/17

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 10, 2017, 7:30:51 PM1/10/17
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:57:11 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
<avag...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 1:07:38 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 04:59:37 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
>> <avag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >So, Mr. Liebermann you're illness is not recent ?
>>
>> Well, that's a problem. We've tried to get lycanthropy listed as a
>> genuine malady worthy of a medical billing code so that it is covered
>> by various government and private insurance plans. So far, this has
>> been unsuccessful, but we'll keep trying. The main problem seems to
>> be getting medical staff to work on the night of the full moon.
>> Meanwhile, it's not an official illness. Also, from the point of view
>> of a werewolf, normal humans are the one's with the illness and are
>> considered little better than a meal.
>>
>> Speaking of the full moon, have you ever wondered why we went to the
>> moon and brought back 382 kg (842 lbs) of moon rocks?

>no, why ?

Sigh. Work on the critical thinking.

Morphing into a werewolf requires viewing the full moon. Painting a
circle on the ceiling, filling it with moon dust, and shining a sun
lamp on it, makes a tolerable but expensive moon facsimile for those
werewolves who want to get an early start on the nights festivities,
or want to turn into a werewolf on a night when the full moon is not
shining. You don't believe that we spent all that public money going
to the moon just to irritate the Russians?

It doesn't take much dust:
"Lost Apollo 11 Moon Dust Found in Storage"
<http://www.space.com/21050-apollo-11-moon-dust-found.html>

Have you ever wondered for whom those anatomic bifurcated bicycle
saddles were designed to fit? Hint: They were not designed for
hemorrhoid victims.

Duane

Jan 10, 2017, 8:12:56 PM1/10/17
I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. If it's pouring when I get up for
work I'm likely to drive. I won't let the threat of rain stop me so I've
been caught in it. I ride my road bike in the rain since I sold the
touring bike. I don't really have problems with the 700c 23s that I use.
I'm running them at 90 psi and they grip well enough. The real problem with
rain for me is the visibility. Both mine and the drivers. As for freezing
rain, forget it.

--
duane

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 10, 2017, 9:01:01 PM1/10/17
14-15 Gov printing office

jbeattie

Jan 10, 2017, 9:12:18 PM1/10/17
I have 32mm Hutchinson CX tires (run at 60psi) that are narrower than my 35mm sale-table Performance "rain tires" (big semi-slicks that spin in slush). I have some 35mm Innova cheap-o studs for snow, but it is rare that snow sticks around for long enough to justify mounting them. They are really, really hard to get beaded.

I recall getting stuck in some freezing rain on the way to work and meeting up with another commuter at a light. He looked over at me and said, "what the f*** are we doing?" I had no good answer. I try to avoid the freezing rain and ice.

-- Jay Beattie.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 11, 2017, 2:55:09 AM1/11/17
Izzit that intelligent people wth $$$ buy cheap rain tires caws expensive tires are no better than less costly than...tires ?

jbeattie

Jan 11, 2017, 10:26:57 AM1/11/17
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:55:09 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
> Izzit that intelligent people wth $$$ buy cheap rain tires caws expensive tires are no better than less costly than...tires ?

I'm sure there are better tires out there, but the ones I chose had a decent compound and a good tread pattern -- not a pure slick but lots of rubber on the road. http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1175240_-1_400904__400904#reviewsTab

Flat resistance is not great when they get worn, and I just dumped my rear tire and replaced it with a Gatorskin I had hanging around -- a 28mm. I'm going to shop around for something in the 32mm range, but no way I'm going to spend $50 on an exotic Marathon or equivalent.

EPILOG -- studs going on today because we got about a foot of snow overnight and its still falling. Totally not like Portland. Sad. What is this, Nazi Germany (in winter)?

Riding home last night in about an inch or two, the CX tires were great. All the freaked-out motorists were not so great.

-- Jay Beattie.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2017, 12:14:37 PM1/11/17
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:12:56 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:

> I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. If it's pouring when I get up for
> work I'm likely to drive. I won't let the threat of rain stop me so I've
> been caught in it. I ride my road bike in the rain since I sold the
> touring bike. I don't really have problems with the 700c 23s that I use.
> I'm running them at 90 psi and they grip well enough. The real problem with
> rain for me is the visibility. Both mine and the drivers. As for freezing
> rain, forget it.

It isn't the rain that bothers me nearly so much as the drivers in California are terrible to begin with and the rain doesn't make them any better. When you turn on the news and 20 minutes after the rain starts you have crashes on every freeway in the entire area you get the idea. And then Google Maps will route cars around the wrecks on side streets that are not meant for anything over 20 mph and they will attempt to drive at 40 mph.

I drive down a hill and stop at the light at the bottom and two cars slide into the intersection and it's only by the grace of God that no one was in the way. And THIS right in front of the Sheriff's department.

I'm going to ride in this sort of thing without 3 feet of armor around me?

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 11, 2017, 3:15:37 PM1/11/17
opened ur post reading first paragraph then went to find a can of Brisk...thinking well there are average tire, one or 2 less as time goes on...and several good tires but no OUTSTANDING rain tire...

then I get back to the screen and the well off lawyer isnot spending an extra 20+ for the outstanding range in his life's passion

an epidemic disease of incroyable cheapness ....spend jersey's , computers, faux wooden baskets ....but the contact patch.... ????

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 11, 2017, 3:18:22 PM1/11/17
the drought has laid in a shellacing of grease n hydrocarbon debris mixed with graphite.

the rain is liquefying the solid whahooooo in between cracks n baby its ooozin' out

yawl best take care not to slide under the bus.

Tim McNamara

Jan 11, 2017, 6:57:18 PM1/11/17
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:38:09 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Last week on the PBS program Nova, those animals were part of the
> hour-long show. Seems in the east, at least, they originated in
> Algonquin National Park, which had an isolated wolf population. When
> coyotes recently extended their range into the area, the coyotes and
> wolves mated, and they continue to do so.

I saw that, too- quite interesting as I knew little about the urban
coyote phenomenon. My Mom lived in a suburb of Chicago and reported to
me that coyotes had been seen in town. I was skeptical but apparently
it's a thing.

Here in the Twin Cities some have been spotted, but the prairies are not
too far away to the west and south, and the Mississippi River corridor
makes for pretty convenient migration of non-flying animals into and
through the metro area. I live a more or less literal stone's throw
from an interstate smack in the middle of the Twin Cities and there was
a large grey fox living within a block of our house. Deer have been
seen in backyards here. The Mississippi River gorge is less than a mile
away which probably accounts for this. And of course we have the usual
complement of rabbits, squirrels, racoons, oppossums and a few times a
year we see red-tail hawks and an eagle or two in our immediate
neighborhood.

> And the spread of coyotes has been remarkable. They now take young deer
> in our forest preserve - a good thing, overall, I think. And with luck,
> they may convince people to keep their dogs on leash.

Peoples is everywhere and animals are adapting to our encroachment into
their ranges with urban expansion by figuring out how to live in urban
areas themselves. In what, 40 years or so the Earth's population has
nearly doubled and will do so again in even less time (barring famine,
pestilence or an outbreak of rationality).

Doug Landau

Jan 11, 2017, 7:11:19 PM1/11/17
http://www.kcra.com/article/bear-spotted-wandering-streets-of-tracy-evades-police/6421251

"I didn't know you had bears in Tracy" I said to a friend.
"Neither did we."

John B.

Jan 11, 2017, 8:54:28 PM1/11/17
I've read that the white tailed deer population in New Hampshire
actually increased, during the 1800's and early 1900's, in northern
parts of the state, with an increase in the human population due to
the killing of wolves and the clearing of forest land which provided
the deer with a greater food supply due to an increase in grazing
areas.

I'm sure though that the population decreased with the paving over hay
fields to make parking lots :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 11, 2017, 8:57:28 PM1/11/17
I was outside Terlingua TX in deep quiet wit an occasional rrrrrrrr vehicle.

Was dark n opened a can of soup for dinner ....immediately the desert began yowyowyowling with 2-3 coyote packs. Not next door.....somewhere over the hill n thru the brush.

I understand the word for a positive ( not coyote but grackles eating off Walmart's parking lot ) human-animal association is 'commensurate'

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 11, 2017, 8:58:25 PM1/11/17
corn for dairy cattle

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 11, 2017, 9:47:04 PM1/11/17
Bing has a homepage for the Nubian fossil water deposit

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/seasons/statewide/

David Scheidt

Jan 11, 2017, 11:56:27 PM1/11/17
Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
:On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:38:09 -0500, Frank Krygowski
:<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
:>
:> Last week on the PBS program Nova, those animals were part of the
:> hour-long show. Seems in the east, at least, they originated in
:> Algonquin National Park, which had an isolated wolf population. When
:> coyotes recently extended their range into the area, the coyotes and
:> wolves mated, and they continue to do so.

:I saw that, too- quite interesting as I knew little about the urban
:coyote phenomenon. My Mom lived in a suburb of Chicago and reported to
:me that coyotes had been seen in town. I was skeptical but apparently
:it's a thing.

I live in Chicago. I've seen them from my living room.

--
sig 65

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 12, 2017, 9:36:46 AM1/12/17

moist California rivers are not near flood stage...flowing but not bankfull.

according to the USGS stream gauges accessed thru the caption bar atop the local NWS from National map

here's the Eel at Fernbridge last crossing before the Pacific, a broad gravel plain last I was there with a walkable main stream.

https://ca.water.usgs.gov/webcams/fernbridge/

Frank Krygowski

Jan 12, 2017, 11:51:25 AM1/12/17
I doubt it. Whitetail deer seem to have adapted extremely well to
suburbia. They may not like parking lots, but they love the "edge
habitat" that abounds when people move into former woods or farmland and
plant grass, tasty shrubs, etc. Their population has soared in recent
years.

Look at the plot of whitetail population:
http://www.deerfriendly.com/_/rsrc/1474256275604/decline-of-deer-populations/1450Pop.jpg?height=318&width=400

Our neighborhood is admittedly atypical in that we've got acres of woods
within an area surrounded by highways, freeways, plazas and parking
lots. But I've seen deer running down our residential street many
times. Yesterday I added two new protective nets over the shrubs we
planted in the fall, in addition to all the other winter fencing we put
up a few weeks ago. The deer decided these new shrubs are tasty, and
they're not dissuaded by the fact that the shrubs are just three feet
from the main entrance to our house.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Doug Landau

Jan 12, 2017, 4:09:53 PM1/12/17

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2017, 4:24:26 PM1/12/17
Doug, according to John you can't tell the difference between a Wolf and a Coyote so how do they know what it is?

Phil Lee

Jan 12, 2017, 4:40:34 PM1/12/17
Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> considered Wed, 11 Jan 2017
This seems to be very similar to the rise of urban foxes that has been
noted in the UK.

AMuzi

Jan 12, 2017, 4:56:19 PM1/12/17
the coyote probably won't kill you:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-cyclist-killed-in-humboldt-park-crash-20170111-story.html

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Tim McNamara

Jan 12, 2017, 6:52:34 PM1/12/17
I grew up in DuPage county just across the county line.

Chicago does have a number of parks and forest preserves, some green
waterway corridors, bike corridors, etc., which I suppose facilitate
getting into various neighborhoods without having to cross the Ike or
the Dan Ryan.

The Twin Cities has even had to have special bow hunting permits in the
wooded areas in some neigborhoods to reduce the mushrooming population.
With no predators to speak of, not to mention some folks feeding them,
there is a deer boom. The hunts are not to everyone's liking, of
course. But the alternative is starvation, getting hit by cars, etc.

Minnesota is also monitoring and trying to contain chronic wasting
disease in the deer and related animal populations; I think they are
trying to test every deer taken by getting biopsies of salivary glands
or something lke that. Keeping the deer population from getting too
overcrowded ought to help with that.

Radey Shouman

Jan 12, 2017, 7:56:49 PM1/12/17
Coyotes are well established themselves on Cape Cod. They're snacking on
shih-tzus and moggies. Much bigger than they were in their original
range, give them a few hundred generations and there will be wolves again.

cycl...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 11:00:41 AM1/13/17
Not if Darwin has anything to say about it. Predators and scavengers have an entirely different physical and social make-up. That's what really ticks me off when I watched a wolf running for almost a mile. Scavengers do not have the physical make-up to so anything like that. And coyotes do NOT look like a wolf. Showing zoo animals fat and sassy is not showing what really is the case in the wild.

Doug Landau

Jan 13, 2017, 12:48:23 PM1/13/17
>And coyotes do NOT look like a wolf.
Huh?!? Tom they both look like a german shepherd, just a bit bigger

jbeattie

Jan 13, 2017, 4:06:13 PM1/13/17
So is the drought over? I've been off my bike (except on rollers) since a storm on Wednesday that dropped a foot of snow. On the roadways, its mostly packed into mounds since we don't have good snow removal in the PDX. I'd ride in on my studs, but it would put me on the roadways right next to the cars. It's too deep to ride (even with a fat bike) on the side paths. So much for the bike share bikes. http://image.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/pgmain/img/oregonian/photo/2017/01/11/-04d51a0d798225cd.JPG

Riding home at the start of the storm on Tuesday evening, I was getting snow down my throat, which I hate. If it were like this in PDX on a regular basis, I'd move. I'm looking forward to rain in the city and snow in the mountains, where it belongs. Blue bird ski day on Sunday!

-- Jay Beattie.

Duane

Jan 13, 2017, 4:56:56 PM1/13/17
Sounds like a typical fall day in Québec. <g> Don't move, get XC skis
and snow shoes.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 13, 2017, 6:11:38 PM1/13/17
is the drought over ? wishful thinking yet Texas deluged then ...Texas...TMS...was in drought in west when I arrived 8 months after Noah left.

Ima going back in a few weeks. Go over to Anza Borrego see what the creosote looks like.

Know of my rain experiment journey ? AFAIK, compares to the Red Sea incident.

Interesting fact, journey began with a post in Groups.

jbeattie

Jan 13, 2017, 6:52:51 PM1/13/17
I feel like a dope because I got ride of all my XC equipment, which was collecting dust after switching to downhill. Anyway, snow never hangs around for more than a week at a time -- ten days tops, so its not a place where you can easily switch from riding to skiing or snow-shoeing. By next Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll be riding in slop and gravel.

-- Jay Beattie.

sms

Jan 13, 2017, 7:39:44 PM1/13/17
On 1/11/2017 9:14 AM, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:12:56 PM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain. If it's pouring when I get up for
>> work I'm likely to drive. I won't let the threat of rain stop me so I've
>> been caught in it. I ride my road bike in the rain since I sold the
>> touring bike. I don't really have problems with the 700c 23s that I use.
>> I'm running them at 90 psi and they grip well enough. The real problem with
>> rain for me is the visibility. Both mine and the drivers. As for freezing
>> rain, forget it.
>
> It isn't the rain that bothers me nearly so much as the drivers in California are terrible to begin with and the rain doesn't make them any better.

California could finance a lot of new infrastructure if they just issued
$500 tickets to anyone driving a grey car that doesn't turn on their
lights in the rain.

The advent of DRLs have made things worse since now you have all these
drivers with only their front DRLs on, with no tail lights.

---

John B.

Jan 13, 2017, 9:15:12 PM1/13/17
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:37:48 -0800, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:
By God, Sir! I believe that you are correct. But why should
automobiles be singled out? Why not a $500 fine for all highway users
that violate the traffic laws? Like those who were responsible for the
54% of the bicycle - Auto collisions, in which it was possible to
assign blame, investigated by the CHP in Los Angeles' County?
--
cheers,

John B.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 13, 2017, 9:31:03 PM1/13/17
Drive a grey mini or topo ....

If you do...does insurance cost more ?

Local noise advises creosote is not pleased.

Duane

Jan 14, 2017, 8:03:42 AM1/14/17
I prefer downhill but XC is certainly cheaper.

We've been going through this heavy freeze - thaw - rain - heavy freeze
cycle for a while now. The result is ice everywhere. We had 5c and rain
Thursday and last night it was -22c. Ice and high winds make it tough to
do anything. I've been mostly doing the gym or the trainer lately.

--
duane

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 14, 2017, 8:57:45 AM1/14/17
duane

goo.gl/TFUdbb RBC RBC !

goo.gl/lA9fzd

goo.gl/VyG6MW $180 11/15-4/15 water n trash MTB n open road

Tim McNamara

Jan 14, 2017, 11:55:11 AM1/14/17
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 19:56:47 -0500, Radey Shouman <sho...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Coyotes are well established themselves on Cape Cod. They're snacking
> on shih-tzus and moggies. Much bigger than they were in their
> original range, give them a few hundred generations and there will be
> wolves again.

Could be coywolves:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coywolf

Tim McNamara

Jan 14, 2017, 11:58:22 AM1/14/17
Well, coyotes and wolves have some similarity in appearance but also
some distinctive differences that are pretty easy to spot. Ditto the
various subspecies of wolves. And both coyotes and wolves look quite a
bit different than a German shepherd.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 14, 2017, 7:57:25 PM1/14/17

goo.gl/PrJVwj

goo.gl/E6WP6R

goo.gl/PrJVwj

during the rain event, quakes in the valley of SF and below were not occurring. Quakes over at the edge near the N in Nevada, at Hawthorne

goo.gl/20kzS2…replacing the Black Desert swarm as the mega pool's margin under Yellowstone moves south prob a result from fracking

with water runoff n weight relief, quakes began as above. Heavy stuff, water.

Larger and more smaller reservoirs….beats the Wall, right ? but priorities are fencing MX and porking money.

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 14, 2017, 8:20:38 PM1/14/17
Lieb ? can the canal system run backwards into the desert while Colorado reservoirs n Lake Mudd fill ?

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Jan 14, 2017, 10:36:55 PM1/14/17
Beets the Wall

https://goo.gl/KoTgQq