41 miles yesterday 170 for the year

Catrike Rider

Jan 25, 2023, 5:57:42 AM1/25/23

10-15 mph wind and the temp was mid 70s, so it was comfortable but I
had to press a bit to get the 12.2 MPH average. The Suncoast trail is
notorious for funneling the wind. It must have been electric bicycle
day because I must have seen at least two dozen of them. Twice as many
as the pure pedal bikes on the trail. Almost all of the non-electric
bikes were head down, butt up racers. I suppose the usual bunch of
upright wobblers chose not to ride in the wind. I, myself, would have
opted out of a high wind day, except I really needed a bike ride and
this was the best available day.

Roger Merriman

Jan 25, 2023, 6:41:01 AM1/25/23
Had some lovely gravel ride last week back in wales over some old semi
paved roads potentially quite old I’d guess. Mix of Roman or pre Roman with
industrial.

A quite brutal climb over the valley’s ridge and rather cruelly I saw a van
from afar which I assumed to be the ice cream van at Keepers pond which
will be there all weathers, but sadly no was roadworks!

Beautiful clear if cold weather though! And got to test my new light out
few days later with a plummet down the gorge very impressive!

Roger Merriman

Catrike Rider

Jan 25, 2023, 9:04:30 AM1/25/23
Most of my rides are on the Suncoast Trail which is almost perfectly
flat where I ride. It's all rural and there is no food nor restrooms
of any kind available along the trail. I can take a three mile round
road trip to a county park with restrooms if needed for more than the
occasional step_off_the_trail pee stops which the mostly unoccupied
nature of the trail allows. Back in the day when I did 70/80 mile
trips I used to take a small container of tuna/pasta salad for the
half way stops, but these days, I only need water.

Tom Kunich

Jan 25, 2023, 12:21:31 PM1/25/23
The roads here are now do bad that descending into Montclair yesterday that I was dodging potholes by the dozens. In one spot I dodged a pothole into a shaded area which contained a 3" deep pothole that I hit so hard my aluminum bars rotated in the aluminum stem so 20 degrees. Luckily my tires were pumped up to recommended levels and didn't harm my Campy Shamal wheels. My friend was carrying a multitool so that I could correct it for the ride home which I was VERY CAREFUL of.

Catrike Rider

Jan 25, 2023, 12:25:36 PM1/25/23
Not many potholes on my rides. There was some nasty potholes on
Highway 52 where the Suncoast trail crosses. I notified the state DOT
and now they're fixed.

Lou Holtman

Jan 25, 2023, 12:33:37 PM1/25/23
First time this winter I had to wait a while before taking a shower in order to warm up my feet a bit after the ride; 77 km, around freezing, almost no wind and foggy. Yuck.

Lou

Roger Merriman

Jan 25, 2023, 2:00:02 PM1/25/23
Stuff shouldn’t be moving due to a pothole even if it’s a deep one, only
and only a possibility in a crash.

Roger Merriman

Tom Kunich

Jan 25, 2023, 5:36:15 PM1/25/23
So how is that turning out for you?

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 25, 2023, 9:29:33 PM1/25/23
On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 09:21:29 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The roads here are now do bad that descending into Montclair yesterday that I was dodging potholes by the dozens. In one spot I dodged a pothole into a shaded area which contained a 3" deep pothole that I hit so hard my aluminum bars rotated in the aluminum stem so 20 degrees. Luckily my tires were pumped up to recommended levels and didn't harm my Campy Shamal wheels. My friend was carrying a multitool so that I could correct it for the ride home which I was VERY CAREFUL of.

Potholes are caused by gophers, dinosaurs or alien visitors. My views
on potholes (circa Dec 1996):
<https://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/pothole.txt>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com