Shimano Nexus 7-spd vs. SRAM Spectro S7?

Wesson Smith

Oct 13, 2002, 6:18:03 PM10/13/02
What are your opinions on the relative advantages/disadvantages of the
Shimano Nexus 7 speed and SRAM Spectro S7 transmissions? Correct me if I'm
wrong, but both are apparently 7 speed transmissions internal to the rear
hub.

Sam Bixby

Oct 14, 2002, 4:43:50 AM10/14/02
ive got a trek 6045 with a nexus 7 speed hub, which i thinks ok. but have
never used a sram , and in lots of reviews the nexus got a bit of a kicking.
but like i said ive no problem with it

Wesson Smith <nosp...@xyz.net> wrote in message

alex wetmore

Oct 14, 2002, 12:31:23 PM10/14/02
"Wesson Smith" <nosp...@xyz.net> wrote in

Both are internal 7sp hubs.

I have owned both and prefer the SRAM S7. The Nexus works well and I
prefer it's shifter (the RapidFire one). The SRAM is user maintainable
though, small parts are available, it has a wider range, has less
resistance, and I think that the clickbox makes it easier to remove the
rear wheel.

I've owned three internally geared 7sp hubs. The first was a Nexus. Later
I found a cheap Sachs S7 (same as the SRAM S7) wheel for my folding bike
and bought that. After doing some long rides on the SRAM S7 I found that I
really preferred it, and found another used SRAM S7 for my bike that had
the Nexus. The Nexus is now sold (or lost to the post office...the
recipient hasn't recieved it yet).

alex

Bluto

Oct 14, 2002, 3:01:10 PM10/14/02
"Wesson Smith" <nosp...@xyz.net> wrote:

> What are your opinions on the relative advantages/disadvantages of the
> Shimano Nexus 7 speed and SRAM Spectro S7 transmissions?

I have both. The SRAM hub is more robust, feels more efficient to me,
has a slightly wider gear range, builds up with less dish, and makes
it easier to do wheel changes. The Shimano hub carries all its
shifting paraphernalia inboard of the chainstays and thus out of
harm's way. They weigh about the same (4 lbs).

IMO both are excellent alternatives to derailleur shifting for
practical bikes. They require far less repair and adjustment than
derailleur systems I have owned and are way more crud-resistant and
less sensitive to wear.

I find the fact that they build a much stronger wheel than a cassette
hub to be compelling enough all by itself.

I do wish that one or the other of these manufacturers would get with
it and produce a modern version with sealed cartridge bearings. The
14 speed Rohloff hub features these, but is too expensive to compare
directly with the 7-speed alternatives.

Chalo Colina

Paul Nendick

Oct 14, 2002, 10:44:36 PM10/14/02
I just undertook this very same decision for my project and went with
the SRAM S7. I couldn't be happier. I am having difficulty finding a
way of mounting the shifter (intended for MTB bars) on my road bars.

Other than that, it's superb; the old Peugeot was never this fun to ride
before! Oh and I get tons of random compliments on the street -- a
first for my bicycle projects. I promise to post pics when it's done.

/p

Sheldon Brown

Oct 15, 2002, 12:18:15 AM10/15/02
Paul Nendick wrote:

> I just undertook this very same decision for my project and went with
> the SRAM S7. I couldn't be happier. I am having difficulty finding a
> way of mounting the shifter (intended for MTB bars) on my road bars.

I ran into this problem while installing a Rohloff 14 speed on a
customer's Atlantis.

I used a cut-down MTB bar end mounted on the stem quill. It worked very
nicely.

There are some pix at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/atlantis

Sheldon "Where There's A Will..." Brown
| Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. |
| --Theodore Roosevelt |
Phone 617-244-9772, 617-244-1040 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Tom Ace

Oct 15, 2002, 1:10:56 AM10/15/02
Paul Nendick wrote:

> I just undertook this very same decision for my project and went with
> the SRAM S7. I couldn't be happier. I am having difficulty finding a
> way of mounting the shifter (intended for MTB bars) on my road bars.

I had the same problem (with a different internal-gear hub) and made
my own road bar twist grip. I can't say it's a quick/easy solution,
but it works well. For pics, see http://www.qnet.com/~crux/twist.html

Tom Ace

S R Sharp

Oct 15, 2002, 11:09:22 PM10/15/02
alex wetmore wrote:

> I have owned both and prefer the SRAM S7. The Nexus works well and I
> prefer it's shifter (the RapidFire one). The SRAM is user maintainable
> though, small parts are available, it has a wider range, has less
> resistance, and I think that the clickbox makes it easier to remove the
> rear wheel.

Does the Nexus Rapidfire shifter work similar to other Rapidfire/EZ-Fire
shifters? Meaning when you pull on the upper or forward lever the "spring
tension" shifts it to a harder gear?

Anyone know if the hub can be "RapidRised"? Maybe by flipping some stuff
around and reversing a spring? I've been meaning to get one and prefer
Rapidfire to twist but don't want to have to concentrate on which lever to hit-
I've got Rapidrise on my ATB.

Thanks

alex wetmore

Oct 18, 2002, 11:46:38 AM10/18/02
Sheldon Brown <capt...@sheldonbrown.com> wrote in news:3DAB9705.2040604
@sheldonbrown.com:

> Paul Nendick wrote:
>
>> I just undertook this very same decision for my project and went with
>> the SRAM S7. I couldn't be happier. I am having difficulty finding a
>> way of mounting the shifter (intended for MTB bars) on my road bars.
>
> I ran into this problem while installing a Rohloff 14 speed on a
> customer's Atlantis.
>
> I used a cut-down MTB bar end mounted on the stem quill. It worked very
> nicely.
>
> There are some pix at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/atlantis

Another solution is to get a Minoura Space Grip and mount this to your
handlebars. The space grip provides a stubby 22.2mm bar that you can put
the shifter onto. You do need to drill a new hole into the Space Grip to
slide the handlebar stub all the way to one side to make it long enough.

I tried Sheldon's approach but found that my knee bumped into the shifter
when I was climbing.

The nicest solution would be a drop bar shifter for the SRAM S7. My LBS
makes sure to point this out every time he orders a hub from them (many of
the hubs that he sells end up on drop bar bicycles), but he says they
aren't buying it...

alex

Matt O'Toole

Oct 18, 2002, 12:09:04 PM10/18/02

"alex wetmore" <al...@phred.org> wrote in message

> The nicest solution would be a drop bar shifter for the SRAM S7. My LBS
> makes sure to point this out every time he orders a hub from them (many of
> the hubs that he sells end up on drop bar bicycles), but he says they
> aren't buying it...

They ought to make the cable pull the same as with a derailer, so the hub
could be used with any shifter. I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to make
a bellcrank or cam type adaptor, so you could use the hub with the shifter
of your choice. All you'd need to know is the cable pull for each. I
wonder if Avid is listening...

Matt O.

alex wetmore

Oct 21, 2002, 11:48:04 AM10/21/02
"Matt O'Toole" <ma...@deltanet.com> wrote in

My LBS was working on a cam adapter, but I'm not sure if he ever followed
through.

The SRAM S7 has much more cable pull than a regular barend shifter. I
think it uses even more cable pull than SRAM ESP shifters, although I
haven't measured exactly. And of course there aren't drop bar ESP shifters
anyway...

A cam setup that mounted onto the downtube shifter brazeon would be ideal.

alex