Tuesday Ride

Tom Kunich

Jan 17, 2023, 6:22:59 PM1/17/23
Since it is going to rain again tomorrow and I haven't ridden in three weeks, I took the bike out for a ride. I put in 25 miles and despite not having eaten any breakfast other than a cup of coffee, (which I could REALLY FEEL) I retained my Zone 2 training for an average speed of 11.3 mph.

My idea was to look at the route that we normally do on Saturday mornings and see if there was much damage. I was rather surprised that despite storm level rains yesterday that there was only one spot that had deep mud but could be bypassed. Another couple of spots where the rain left deep pools but could also be bypassed so Saturday should be OK since there is rain tomorrow (Wednesday) and dry and sunny Thursday and Friday.

It was about 40 degrees for the entire ride which was cold but I have the proper clothing. I believe that if the weather isn't too cold on Thursday I will do my "mild" 40 mile climbing ride.

The Saturday ride will be a recovery ride.

Tom Kunich

Jan 25, 2023, 11:45:17 AM1/25/23
Because all of the hill roads are closed off, We decided to ride up to Montclair which is only about 700 feet but with so many ups and downs that the total climbing is 1,400 feet and with several 17% or more sections.

It turned out that these roads as well were all tore up by disrepair and the recent rains. Somehow I got out in front of the group and while I'm out of shape they climb faster than me. So I assumed that they ere3 off of the front.

After hitting the high point at which you are exhausted after one of those 17% climbs and 30 feet of which you are blocking a freeway entrance so you can't slow down, there is a descent down to the climb back into Montclair for which the 12% seems almost easy. I got to the coffee shop and was so exhausted I couldn't do anything but sit for 5 minutes. Then the others showed up. We parked the bikes and went into the coffee shop to get coffee and a Danish.

The other two were in bad shape and i know several downhill returns. So on the way back I took the lead, but one of them bailed at the BART station in a rather unsavory neighborhood. But he didn't have any problems.

The remaining two of use wound our way though Oakland and San Leandro to home with a total of 30 miles and REALLY sore legs. I had my legs twitching moist of the night and stretching my legs in the morning produced cramps.

So, 30 miles and 1350 feet.

Despite freezing cold and very heavy rains I already have 120 miles for the year and think I can make 200. Last march which was much milder returned only 239 miles. I think that was when I contracted Covid-19 and was off of the bike for 3 or 4 days from that and another 2 weeks of feeling exhausted all of the time reducing my riding.

I tried to install a CVS Pharmacy App so that I could order my pills ahead of time and but it was infected with a crooked site that took my information and attempted to steal money from me. But the bank was smarter than they were. I had to destroy that card and it will be Friday before a new one arrives. By this time this is old hat so it is only inconvenient.

Roger Merriman

Jan 25, 2023, 2:06:50 PM1/25/23
Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because all of the hill roads are closed off, We decided to ride up to
> Montclair which is only about 700 feet but with so many ups and downs
> that the total climbing is 1,400 feet and with several 17% or more sections.
>
> It turned out that these roads as well were all tore up by disrepair and
> the recent rains. Somehow I got out in front of the group and while I'm
> out of shape they climb faster than me. So I assumed that they ere3 off of the front.
>
> After hitting the high point at which you are exhausted after one of
> those 17% climbs and 30 feet of which you are blocking a freeway entrance
> so you can't slow down, there is a descent down to the climb back into
> Montclair for which the 12% seems almost easy. I got to the coffee shop
> and was so exhausted I couldn't do anything but sit for 5 minutes. Then
> the others showed up. We parked the bikes and went into the coffee shop
> to get coffee and a Danish.
>
> The other two were in bad shape and i know several downhill returns. So
> on the way back I took the lead, but one of them bailed at the BART
> station in a rather unsavory neighborhood. But he didn't have any problems.
>
> The remaining two of use wound our way though Oakland and San Leandro to
> home with a total of 30 miles and REALLY sore legs. I had my legs
> twitching moist of the night and stretching my legs in the morning produced cramps.
>
> So, 30 miles and 1350 feet.

The broad ratio I’ve heard is for a ride to be hilly you need 1000ft for
every 10miles though I’d say is more to that, but certainly that sort of
ratio your quoting would be say a flat ride to Windsor.

My ride in wales in another thread, was 33miles and 4114ft though the early
part was fairly gentle grades, was crossing the valleys after the gravel
that was hard work, not helped that I’d forgotten how steep it is! Very
pretty though!

> Despite freezing cold and very heavy rains I already have 120 miles for
> the year and think I can make 200. Last march which was much milder
> returned only 239 miles. I think that was when I contracted Covid-19 and
> was off of the bike for 3 or 4 days from that and another 2 weeks of
> feeling exhausted all of the time reducing my riding.
>
> I tried to install a CVS Pharmacy App so that I could order my pills
> ahead of time and but it was infected with a crooked site that took my
> information and attempted to steal money from me. But the bank was
> smarter than they were. I had to destroy that card and it will be Friday
> before a new one arrives. By this time this is old hat so it is only inconvenient.

That’s not a good sign unless your installing it from somewhere hooky or
phone has stuff on it already.

Roger Merriman

Joerg

Jan 25, 2023, 3:12:55 PM1/25/23
On 1/25/23 8:45 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> Because all of the hill roads are closed off, We decided to ride up to Montclair which is only about 700 feet but with so many ups and downs that the total climbing is 1,400 feet and with several 17% or more sections.

I hate hills :-)

Supposedly an interviewer asked Eddy Merckx whether the chocolate cake
he was just eating isn't bad for him. "Chocolate cake? No, that's good
for you. Hills, that's what's bad for you".

[...]

> The remaining two of use wound our way though Oakland and San Leandro to home with a total of 30 miles and REALLY sore legs. I had my legs twitching moist of the night and stretching my legs in the morning produced cramps.

Not enough electrolyte? If I don't drink that latest before the last
15-20miles of a ride I also get cramps at night.

> So, 30 miles and 1350 feet.
>
> Despite freezing cold and very heavy rains I already have 120 miles for the year and think I can make 200.

Same here. But it wasn't all hills, only some of the miles were. There
was, however, a brewpub visit during all weekday rides (not the Sunday
afternoon rides). No coffee shops or sweets in our riding group.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Tom Kunich

Jan 25, 2023, 5:33:04 PM1/25/23
Roger, you're perfectly welcome to come on some of our riders and then decide if they are hilly enough for you. Using rules of thumb are remarkably inaccurate.

Roger Merriman

Jan 26, 2023, 4:00:10 PM1/26/23
No the ratio of ft vs miles is fairly consistent assuming all else is
equal.

Even with the difference in terrain with gravel it’s remarkably consistent,
as to how hard a ride is.

Roger Merriman

Tom Kunich

Jan 26, 2023, 4:06:22 PM1/26/23
Tuesday's ride really burned me out. My normally easy Thursday 1400 ft ride with 25 miles really killed me today and the ride doesn't have any steep spots in it. Tuesday I thought I was behind and really kicked it up the really steep stuff. So it all depends on your kind of riding and you are only using a rule of thumb for your rides at your speed in your area.

Roger Merriman

Jan 26, 2023, 6:09:22 PM1/26/23
I’m not only using height vs distance as well I ride off road and as such
soggy stuff as it was today can be hard work, in the summer when it’s dry
and dusty you fly on the trails but that ratio will tell.

I ride in wales ie hills if not Mountains, plus areas around london plus
areas within reach.

Remember I almost I’m younger I’m used to steep stuff, my bikes are off
road designed so have lower gearing, so unless it’s getting on for 30% or
around that area I’m generally comfortable with steep.

I did notice years back after coming out of hospital that gearing could
trump power in that I was unwell and unfit, I took the MTB up the steepest
road climb in the Surrey hills has nasty kick at the end well over 20% but
spinning away at 3mph the hill was tamed! Or at least not hard work.

Roger Merriman