Leave my bicycle alone, dammit.

AMuzi

Dec 8, 2023, 9:49:15 AM12/8/23
https://cwbchicago.com/2023/12/cta-chicago-loop-passenger-knocked-unconscious-charges-filed.html

No photo or description of said bicycle.
--
Andrew Muzi
a...@yellowjersey.org

Tanguy Ortolo

Dec 8, 2023, 11:19:36 AM12/8/23
AMuzi, 2023-12-08 15:49+0100:
> https://cwbchicago.com/2023/12/cta-chicago-loop-passenger-knocked-unconscious-charges-filed.html

I already saw some car drivers ready to act like that because I touched
knocked on their vehicle. Except they probably did not have an
“extensive criminal record”.

--
Tanguy

Catrike Rider

Dec 8, 2023, 11:47:00 AM12/8/23
On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 08:49:11 -0600, AMuzi <a...@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>https://cwbchicago.com/2023/12/cta-chicago-loop-passenger-knocked-unconscious-charges-filed.html
>
>No photo or description of said bicycle.

...and some people are intent on taking people's guns away from
them....

Frank Krygowski

Dec 8, 2023, 11:47:12 AM12/8/23
Last year, my wife and I were walking the sidewalk on a local street.
Just as we approached a crosswalk at a little residential street, a
young guy in a BMW rushed up to the stop sign, blocking the crosswalk in
front of us.

We walked around behind his car, and as we did, the shopping bag I was
carrying slightly bumped the back of his car. Despite his great hurry,
he took the time to lower his window and say "Did you just bump my car?"

I said "I think my bag might have bumped a car that's illegally blocking
the crosswalk. Should we both try to do better?"

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Dec 8, 2023, 11:57:23 AM12/8/23
I know neighborhoods in Chicago where that sort of exchange
will get you shot dead. And bystanders would testify
'justified'.

John B.

Dec 8, 2023, 7:20:45 PM12/8/23
I was walking and I bumped his car??? Drunk? On crutches?Somebody
pushed me? I'm just clumsy?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Dec 8, 2023, 7:25:47 PM12/8/23
I suppose that's one of the reasons I live in this neighborhood.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski

Dec 8, 2023, 7:58:52 PM12/8/23
My bag bumped his car just as accidentally as his car blocked the
crosswalk.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Radey Shouman

Dec 9, 2023, 5:29:35 PM12/9/23
Years ago, when I was in high school, and most of you duffers were no
more than middle aged, I heard a tale about a classmate. Finding a car
blocking the crosswalk, he took the shortest path, opening the right
rear door, scooted across the rear seat, and exited the other rear door.
The driver, a lady likely younger than I am now, was nonplussed.

I did not see it, but it seemed plausible to me at the time. If my
classmate had been shot dead many would have thought he got what he
deserved. But it seemed funny at the time.

Needless to say, this would not likely work today. Back in the day car
doors had to be locked one at a time, and many people never locked them.
Rear seats were almost always flat benches, not buckets.

Tom Kunich

Dec 9, 2023, 6:48:00 PM12/9/23
If the driver had shot your friend dead in those days it would have been the electric chair and not someone thinking he got what he deserved. If anyone had shot a kid under those circumstances when I was in school the people on the street would have hung her on the spot.

Radey Shouman

Dec 9, 2023, 8:11:26 PM12/9/23
Maybe in California.

John B.

Dec 9, 2023, 9:45:07 PM12/9/23
On Sat, 09 Dec 2023 20:11:21 -0500, Radey Shouman
<sho...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Tom Kunich <cycl...@gmail.com> writes:

Maybe in California but in the little New England town I grew up in
the woman driving the car might say something to you but certainly
she would have told her friends who would have told their husbands and
by lunch time everyone that met your father on the way to lunch would
be saying things like, "I hear your kid broke into a car" and the
Ladies at the Church Social would be making snide remarks about
"proper raising of children" making sure that your mother overheard
the remarks and by the time you got home from school your mother would
be saying, "Just you wait until your father gets home from work" and
when he did get home you would discover just why creeping into cars
was a very, very, very, bad thing to do.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Radey Shouman

Dec 10, 2023, 9:29:18 PM12/10/23
This was not a town so small that everyone knew everyone else. If it
were the kid would have said "Hi Mrs. Dumpkopf" as he slid from one door
to the other.

John B.

Dec 10, 2023, 10:25:34 PM12/10/23
On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 21:29:13 -0500, Radey Shouman
I was responding to Toms saying that in California they'd be shot or
hung :-)

But certainly a small town has far fewer juvenal problems then a large
city or even big towns as the kids all know that if the do some evil
deed that they WILL get caught. I remember my uncle, a deputy sheriff,
saying that in event of a car theft they would call "that" kids's
parents and say, "Is you kid home" and if the parents said "no" they
would put out a call to arrest that kid and if the parents said "Yes"
they'd put out a warrant for the other kid as there were only two kids
in town that dared to steal a car.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Dec 10, 2023, 11:16:12 PM12/10/23
On 12/10/2023 10:25 PM, John B. wrote:

> I was responding to Toms saying that in California they'd be shot or
> hung :-)
>
> But certainly a small town has far fewer juvenal problems then a large
> city or even big towns as the kids all know that if the do some evil
> deed that they WILL get caught. I remember my uncle, a deputy sheriff,
> saying that in event of a car theft they would call "that" kids's
> parents and say, "Is you kid home" and if the parents said "no" they
> would put out a call to arrest that kid and if the parents said "Yes"
> they'd put out a warrant for the other kid as there were only two kids
> in town that dared to steal a car.

Very vaguely related: When I was still working, one of my best friends
(and riding buddies) was a Professor of Criminal Justice. Not
surprisingly, he was good friends with the head of the Campus Police,
who worked very closely with the city police.

Well: One day I stopped by my friend's office, and the Campus Police guy
was there. While we briefly chatted, that guy looked out the window and
made a call on his radio. Something like "John Doe is just crossing
Lincoln Avenue and heading up into campus. Keep an eye on him." When I
asked, he said that John Doe was known to them as a pilferer and general
troublemaker. It made sense to watch him carefully, and probably to let
him know he was watched.

That opened my eyes a bit. Good policing is often proactive.

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi

Dec 11, 2023, 9:17:34 AM12/11/23
In theory but that horse has left the barn

https://catholicvote.org/priest-killed-in-100th-attack-on-catholic-church-this-year

" he is known to police as a repeat offender against
seemingly random targets. In addition, the victim in this
case has been the subject of local controversies and once
admitted to a large-scale financial theft."

Tom Kunich

Dec 12, 2023, 10:36:59 AM12/12/23
Religion accepts that there is something greater than man and government and the present government is not about to accept that,