Degrees

Tom Kunich

Aug 28, 2023, 5:26:16 PM8/28/23
I just pulled out a ring binder and there was my degree from the College of Marin for ship's navigation. I took that course because I was on yacht crews racing up and down the California coast. But it was a recognized commercial degree so that I could have been a ship's navigator if I wasn't making a ton of money as a electronics and software engineer actually going things unlike Flunky.

Too bad I lost my full resume in a computer crash. I still wasn't back enough from my concussion to know what to do and took it to a so-called computer repair shop. They totally erased the disk and installed a new operating system. It was unnecessary to erase the D drive since the operating system that had crashed is on the C drive. Somewhere on the group Liebermann was saying that most of the problems he was finding was loose metal bits and bad solder joints. Think about that for a minute. Motherboards are wave soldered at real computer manufacturers. It is nearly impossible to get a bad solder joint. So he is working on computers hand soldered in little shops likely in China. Also real high performance computers use multilayer boards that shorten the lengths of lines between components and lessen the capacitive delays.

So there is a reason to buy desktops and laptops from good manufacturers like HP or Dell. They may also have main components made in China, but they are properly designed and built correctly.

Now one of the mistakes on this build is that I picked out the incorrect bar. This isn't much of a mistake since handlebars are pretty much the same. It is the correct size. I just made a mistake on the exact shape of bar I wanted. I guess I was down the page looking at other bars and went back up to the wrong one. Frank will have us believe that it is like him wanting one EV and accidently getting another.

I will tell you one thing - getting the levers on a compact bar is a real pain in the ass. But I finally figured out the proper method. But getting the wiring properly routed through that bar will be another pain. The bar I meant to buy was open on the inside. This one has routing. Not fully but enough to need a lot of messing around.

I just got back from the dentist and she was replacing a very old bridge that had gotten a cavity under it. They now use a type of camera and AI to get a 3 dimensional representation of the replacement bridge. The keyboard on the computer is a full keyboard version of the one I invented for Dr. Kary Mullis's machine - a type of plastic covered keyboard with a metal contact entirely enclosed so that the keyboard can be fully disinfected and without any areas that can hide a virus. So my work carries on.

John B.

Aug 28, 2023, 8:37:46 PM8/28/23
On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:26:13 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just pulled out a ring binder and there was my degree from the College of Marin for ship's navigation. I took that course because I was on yacht crews racing up and down the California coast. But it was a recognized commercial degree so that I could have been a ship's navigator if I wasn't making a ton of money as a electronics and software engineer actually going things unlike Flunky.

Strange isn't it that the collage you "graduated from" doesn't seem to
offer a course in "navigation".
https://www1.marin.edu/sites/default/files/Catalog-2020-21.pdf
As for being a ship's officer? You need a licence from the USCG to be
an officer on a U.S. flag vessel.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2023, 1:47:32 AM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 07:37:39 +0700, John B. <sloc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:26:13 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
><cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just pulled out a ring binder and there was my degree from the College of Marin for ship's navigation. I took that course because I was on yacht crews racing up and down the California coast. But it was a recognized commercial degree so that I could have been a ship's navigator if I wasn't making a ton of money as a electronics and software engineer actually going things unlike Flunky.
>>
>Strange isn't it that the collage you "graduated from" doesn't seem to
>offer a course in "navigation".
>https://www1.marin.edu/sites/default/files/Catalog-2020-21.pdf
>As for being a ship's officer? You need a licence from the USCG to be
>an officer on a U.S. flag vessel.

It's more comical than that. I did a quick Google search for "college
of marin navigation program" and this appeared:

"COM Launches Navigate Platform"
<https://www1.marin.edu/news/com-launches-navigate-platform>

That was rather oddly worded, but it might be a platform to teach
navigation. However, after reading the announcement, it turns out
that it's a program to help students navigate through course
registration ordeal process:

"College of Marin (COM) launched a new platform aimed at making the
course registration process more user-friendly"

No mention of marine navigation. My guess(tm) is that Tom searched
for a nearby school that taught how to "navigate", found this page,
and assumed that the school taught marine navigation.

The College of Marin is a community college (formerly known as a Jr
college). That means a high school diploma is required, which Tom
lacks. I now see why they need a Navigate Platform to help make
registration less confusing. I couldn't find the admission
requirements. Apparently, I need to create an account in order to
obtain this information. I gave up.

At least we now know what school Tom was referring to in:
12/31/2021
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/-Hmh6pTCz7U/m/XiKHzpeCDwAJ>
"I read all of the books that would have gotten me a bachelors degree
and was learning the realities of the world as well. I was rather
taken aback to discover that I had a degree in ship's navigation. And
from a prestigious school in Marin County as well."

>>Too bad I lost my full resume in a computer crash.

14 pages of resume as I recall. You have 13 jobs listed on your
online resume. There's no room between the 13 jobs for any more jobs.
Perhaps it was your doppelganger (evil twin) who worked at all those
missing jobs and using your name.

>>I still wasn't back enough from my concussion to know what to do and took it to a so-called computer repair shop. They totally erased the disk and installed a new operating system. It was unnecessary to erase the D drive since the operating system that had crashed is on the C drive.

Sounds good. However, I find it odd that whenever something goes
wrong, it's always someone else's fault. I don't erase data without
the owners prior permission.

>>Somewhere on the group Liebermann was saying that most of the problems he was finding was loose metal bits and bad solder joints. Think about that for a minute. Motherboards are wave soldered at real computer manufacturers. It is nearly impossible to get a bad solder joint. So he is working on computers hand soldered in little shops likely in China.

The original quote was:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/YAgynT7Dw2I/m/lKxG17YbAQAJ>
"Many of the computers I saw for repair had intermittent problems.
Most were loose connectors, loose wires, metal debris on the
motherboard, bad soldering, bad crimps, bad wire bonds (inside
transistors and failing components (usually electrolytic capacitors)."

Today's motherboards do not have any hand soldering. However,
laptops, AIO (all in one), SBC (single board computers) and especially
power supplies, still have some hand soldering. That's because the
larger parts (electrolytic caps, switches, connectors, heat sinks,
power xsistors, etc) have sufficient thermal mass that an IR or other
reflow heater cannot transfer enough heat to the leads for the solder
paste to melt without also melting nearby small components.

>>Also real high performance computers use multilayer boards that
>>shorten the lengths of lines between components and lessen the
>>capacitive delays.

All, and I do mean all, of today's motherboards are multilayer. Nobody
makes a computer on a single sided PCB (printed circuit board).
Shortening traces is not to reduce delays. What's done is that bus
traces are laid out in equal lengths to prevent differential skew so
that digital signals along different wires in a bus all arrive at the
same time.

>>So there is a reason to buy desktops and laptops from good
>>manufacturers like HP or Dell.

Dell is mostly good. HP is marginal. Most of what I've work with in
the last 20 years is on Dell hardware. Many reasons, but the
economical availability of repair parts and boards is quite good.
Construction quality of Dell is generally excellent.

I have two Dell Optiplex 9010 DT computers on my desk that I'm
preparing to deliver to a customer in about 10 days.
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/185913407797>
The 9010 was released in 2010 but is still running just fine. The
only problem so far is the vendor sent me both machines with almost
dead CR2032 batteries. Total cost for each machine, including a new
Samsung EVO 870 EVO 500GB SSD, was $75/ea. Looking around my house,
most of the machines are Dell, with a few HP desktops.

>They may also have main components made in China, but they are
>properly designed and built correctly.

Everything is made in China. You get what you pay for. If you want
good computers, be prepared to pay the Chinese good money for them. If
you want the lowest selling price possible, be prepared to have the
Chinese deliver garbage.

(Comments about bicycle wiring, dentistry, and saving civilization
through keyboard design, mercifully deleted).

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 5:43:23 AM8/29/23
On Monday, August 28, 2023 at 5:26:16 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I just pulled out a ring binder and there was my degree from the College of Marin for ship's navigation. I took that course because I was on yacht crews racing up and down the California coast. But it was a recognized commercial degree so that I could have been a ship's navigator if I wasn't making a ton of money as a electronics and software engineer actually going things unlike Flunky.

And tommy's obsession with me continues.

John B.

Aug 29, 2023, 5:46:24 AM8/29/23
On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 22:47:17 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
From Tom's post, he talks about racing sail boats in the bay and I
would guess that "navigation" is a matter of "Hey! Look! We want to go
over there!". I "crewed" in the King's Cup Regatta, the biggest, I
believe, yacht race in Asia and certainly that's the navigation in
that race. "The regatta annually features upwards of 90 boats (record
of 103 in 2007)".

And yes, I've navigated a boat... from Thailand to Australia and
return (:-).

--
Cheers,

John B.

Tom Kunich

Aug 29, 2023, 11:01:12 AM8/29/23
Oh the tears and agony from you that I actually got a degree that I could and did use while you paid all of that time and money to do a job that you could have done without all of that useless effort. If you work hard enough you might be able to convince yourself that the College of Marin never gave any of those courses in the past.

Tom Kunich

Aug 29, 2023, 11:04:07 AM8/29/23
Let's see, I'm obsessed with you but you post in retaliation bare minutes after I did. Yeah, I'm obsessed with a man who claims to be an engineered that somehow has an entire working day free .

John B.

Aug 29, 2023, 11:11:13 AM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:01:09 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
What? Now your so called course in navigation has grown to a degree in
navigation?

Well, why not, after all it was an imaginary course so why not an
imaginary degree.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2023, 1:03:41 PM8/29/23
I don't believe you. I showed you mine:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/crud/diploma-jeffl.jpg>
Now you can show me yours. Please try to forge something more
authentic looking than your Aeolian Yacht Club life membership card.

Incidentally, obtaining a BSEE in 1971 was not as expensive as today.
I don't recall the exact amounts, but they were fairly affordable.
After Sputnik in 1957, we were competing with the evil Russians for
dominance in the space race. Producing more engineers and scientists
was considered sufficiently important that student loans, grants and
state educational subsidies were common. I worked part time while
attending college except for my last year, when I had to concentrate
on graduating.

While unnecessary, I do appreciate your concern for my expenditures of
time and money. If I had done it your way, I probably would have
ended up just like you.

06/07/2022
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/QNPNSofg064/m/Xaamy15iBQAJ>
"I would warrant that I've read more than 20 times more books than you
have. I read out three public libraries, the military library and all
of the books I used to gain the knowledge to become an engineer."

>If you work hard enough you might be able to convince yourself
>that the College of Marin never gave any of those courses in the past.

No need. I've already convinced myself that you're a rather bad liar.
We went through this wasted exercise previously when you claimed to
have graduated with a degree from CSU Maritime Academy and then
declared that it was located in the wrong county.
<https://www.csum.edu>
Cal Maritime also does not offer a degree in navigation.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 3:19:34 PM8/29/23
Of course you could put the entire issue to rest if you posted a picture of the degree. It should be easy to find since it's the only one you ever got (allegedly).

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 3:22:14 PM8/29/23
Yes, you wouldn't hear from me if you didn't keep calling my name.

> Yeah, I'm obsessed with a man who claims to be an engineered that somehow has an entire working day free .

Yes, you are, or you wouldn't keep calling my name. I wouldn't even have posted in this thread if you didn't mention me (in one of your jealous fits).

Tom Kunich

Aug 29, 2023, 3:45:11 PM8/29/23
Liebermann - the reason that you've spent your entire life as a failure is because your entire being is spent on proving other people wrong and not doing a correct job yourself. You are nothing and now it is too late for you to ever be anything. Too bad for you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=996962251448524&set=a.467381291073292

But, but, but - The College of Marine doesn't offer a course in navigation right? You are at the end of your life and have never managed to do a thing. I'm sure that the reason that you couldn't get a job in engineering is because you wanted everyone you worked for to be wrong and they finally had it up to here in just a couple of months.

You, like Flunky were never able to actually be an engineer. At least Flunky found a job where they only needed some Flunky to sign on the paperwork. You weren't even capable of that.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2023, 4:06:42 PM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:19:31 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Of course you could put the entire issue to rest if you posted a picture of the degree. It should be easy to find since it's the only one you ever got (allegedly).

Tom has claimed to have more degrees. He also claimed to have a
degree in navigation from CSU Maritime Academy, yet another degree in
navigation from Cabot College, and audited a physics class at UC
Berkeley:
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/3YvT5Pd6Om8/m/oOhWwh4WBAAJ>
However, he also claims to not have needed a degree because he read so
many books instead:

12/31/2021
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/-Hmh6pTCz7U/m/XiKHzpeCDwAJ>
"I read all of the books that would have gotten me a bachelors degree
and was learning the realities of the world as well. I was rather
taken aback to discover that I had a degree in ship's navigation. And
from a prestigious school in Marin County as well."

He also claimed that reading books was sufficient to become an
engineer:

06/07/2022
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/QNPNSofg064/m/Xaamy15iBQAJ
"I would warrant that I've read more than 20 times more books than you
have. I read out three public libraries, the military library and all
of the books I used to gain the knowledge to become an engineer."

Obtaining a degree in navigation is like obtaining a degree in
spelling. Navigation is just one of the many skills a sailor or
navigator would be expected to learn just like spelling is just one
skill that a writer is expected to learn.

Grrr... My firewood delivery seems to be late today.

Tom Kunich

Aug 29, 2023, 4:22:49 PM8/29/23
Sorry Liebermann - you just coughed again. I just published the title page on the course from Marin College that you claimed didn't exist. Why are you ignoring that? Are you ashamed because you again claimed there was no such thing?

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 4:28:34 PM8/29/23
Funny, I don't see any reference on that page to a degree program, all I see is some instruction of navigation fundamentals - hardley the stuff of a degree program, more like something you stole from the yacht club library. BTW - where was that from, Marin College, CSU Maritime Academy, or Cabot College - You've claimed navigation "degrees" from all three.

Nope. https://marin.elumenapp.com/catalog/current/program-and-course-descriptions#mainContent

> You, like Flunky were never able to actually be an engineer. At least Flunky found a job where they only needed some Flunky to sign on the paperwork.

Still waiting for that PWM cable testing tutorial.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 4:29:55 PM8/29/23
There is nothing in that page that references a college course. And no, we aren't going to take your word for it.

Tom Kunich

Aug 29, 2023, 5:00:18 PM8/29/23
And I already told you that I have no intentions of explaining anything to you because you will then present it to your boss as a genius level accomplishment of your own. We know that it would amaze you because you cannot even begin to understand the concept even after I gave you a large hint.

Tom Kunich

Aug 29, 2023, 5:10:55 PM8/29/23
If you have no idea what that page means it means that you NEVER went to college. But then I never expected you did because you can't read C and that is the basic language for anyone in an engineering course that has to do with u-processors. But after that stupid comment about detecting water that couldn't have been more plain. I am curious why you would present yourself as an engineer. When I was on the job I never had 2 minutes of free time and you have nothing else.

So you can stop the bullshitting because you've cut your own throat.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2023, 5:59:38 PM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:22:45 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just published the title page on the course from Marin College that you claimed didn't exist.

I didn't see your "publication". Could I trouble you for the URL? I'm
about 200 articles behind. I'm busy stacking firewood and would like
to be at least 1/3 done before the mosquitoes attack.

Incidentally, it's COM (College of Marin), not Marin College.

>Why are you ignoring that?

Because I didn't see it. Or are you going to be like Andre's 30,000
member writers group, where he expected me to find it for him?

>Are you ashamed because you again claimed there was no such thing?

Hardly. You show me your proof and I'll decide what I do next.

What I would really like to see is a photo of your diploma from COM
like I previously asked. Are you ashamed that you can't produce your
diploma?

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2023, 6:04:14 PM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 14:59:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:22:45 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
><cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I just published the title page on the course from Marin College that you claimed didn't exist.
>
>I didn't see your "publication". Could I trouble you for the URL?

Never mind. Not need for a URL. I found your "publication". I'll
get back to this in about an hour after stacking some more firewood.

John B.

Aug 29, 2023, 6:42:14 PM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 14:10:53 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 1:29:55?PM UTC-7, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 29, 2023 at 4:22:49?PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
Hey! Timmy! That page you posted doesn't prove that you took any
course at all. There isn't even any indication that it came from a
collage or other school. Is this another Kunich lie?
--
Cheers,

John B.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 6:46:02 PM8/29/23
lol...sure, my boss is going to consider me a genius for presenting a testing teqnique that according to you is the most commonly used method. More likely he would consider me an idiot for even presenting the idea that PWM is used to test cables, much like anyone here even marginally familiar with the concept considers you to be now.

> We know that it would amaze you because you cannot even begin to understand the concept even after I gave you a large hint.

You gave no hints, you asked a generic question about the impedance characteristics of a cable (no, you didn't use the term 'impedance', but that's what you were hinting at, you're just too fucking stupid to understand the physics involved with wave propagation through a cable). I answered your questing and you didn't contest it. IOW - you can't explain testing cables with PWM because there is no application for it.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 6:50:22 PM8/29/23
Care to quote the section that denotes this was from a college course?

> But then I never expected you did because you can't read C and that is the basic language for anyone in an engineering course that has to do with u-processors. But after that stupid comment about detecting water that couldn't have been more plain.

Water detector was written into the header, dumbass.

> I am curious why you would present yourself as an engineer. When I was on the job I never had 2 minutes of free time and you have nothing else.

Likely because you were busy covering your ass from the avalanche of mistakes you were making. I have free time because I do my job well and am well rewarded for it. We know this is foreign concept to you.

> So you can stop the bullshitting because you've cut your own throat.

Says the guy who can't post even a link to a piece of test equipment used to test cables with PWM.

Keep thrashing skippy, I'm really enjoying this.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 6:51:35 PM8/29/23
Obviously

John B.

Aug 29, 2023, 7:12:56 PM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:22:45 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nope Tommy. You published a page that tasks about navigation but no
indication of where it came from. Life Magazine? Readers Digest? Who
knows.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 29, 2023, 9:58:29 PM8/29/23
On 8/29/2023 4:06 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> He also claimed that reading books was sufficient to become an
> engineer:
>
> 06/07/2022

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/QNPNSofg064/m/Xaamy15iBQAJ
> "I would warrant that I've read more than 20 times more books than you
> have. I read out three public libraries, the military library and all
> of the books I used to gain the knowledge to become an engineer."

I'd like to chip in some educational facts.

Reading a book on engineering is not remotely sufficient to master
whatever was the subject matter of that book. Engineering students
attend lectures, ask questions, and spend countless hours studying and
working on complex calculations. They attend laboratory sessions and
conduct experiments, taking data, processing data via calculations, and
writing lab reports. They take extremely difficult exams. They complete
courses in highly structured curricula, where courses have multiple
levels of prerequisites - as in, you take Calculus, then Statics, then
Dynamics, then Strength of Materials, then Design of Machine Elements,
then Hydraulics & Pneumatics, then Mechanisms, then Machine Controls
before you're even allowed to enroll in Robotics.

When I began my engineering education, an instructor in a freshman class
said "Look at the students around you. 90% of you will not earn the
degree." He was right.

For Tom to pretend he got the equivalent education by reading some books
merely proves that he has no idea what goes on at a university.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 29, 2023, 11:16:09 PM8/29/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:45:08 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=996962251448524&set=a.467381291073292

Fascinating. I like mysteries and this is a good one. The question
of the moment is "What the (deleted expletive) is this document"? I'll
try (and probably fail) to be brief.

One might assume this document is a page from some manner of college
level instructional material. That's obviously not the case. The
language is in the second person, as if the author was talking
directly at the reader, complete with the over use of "you". I would
expect that kind of language from a drill sergeant, not a college
instructor. I checked my various sailing books
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/3oXDf6yFyYSCHs8v5>
and college text books and none of them used 2nd person.

The document starts with a very simplistic explanation of how
navigation works. None of my college textbooks do that. They assume
that the student has survived a series of pre-requisites, such as
trigonometry for navigation. They then go directly into the topic of
the book. To be certain, I dusted off (literally) some more of my
college text books and verified that pre-requisites were assumed.

The language used in the article seems to be well below college level.
However, the author uses a "cue ball" in an example. That would
eliminate young children.

The article mentions "The four ways of determining position will
receive individual treatment as this course progresses". Ok, it's the
written material for some type of course. What type of course, I can
only guess, but I know it's not a college class.

The document itself offers some interesting clues.

The document is on 8.5 x 11 inch paper, but the original book was 8.5
x 8.5 inches. There is an obvious cut line above "Circular
Measurement" where parts of two pages were pasted together and
misaligned.

The text in the page is misaligned, not just at the cut line, but also
between the lower text and the College of Marin logo. The logo also
extends beyond the text right margin. Therefore, the logo was added
before it was photo copied.

I agonized over identifying the copying process. My guess(tm) is that
the copy was made with a thermofax, Diazo or one of the wet paper
processes popular in the mid 1950's and early 1960's. What is amazing
is how well preserved the paper seems to be. Both processes change
the black print to brown and the paper to splotchy light brown. Yet,
there is only a little evidence of this. Even the staple in the upper
left corner is still intact. The document must have been very well
preserved or I made a really bad guess as to the age and process.

So, who would cut apart a book or pamphlet so that it could be copied?
There was some of that happening at the fraternities and sororities in
college, but the document is not from a college text book. Based on
my copying process guess (1955 to 1965), Tom would been 11 and 21
years old. That might work since he joined the US Air Force in 1961.
I'd like to also blame Tom for destroying the original book by
underlining everything, I can't prove that. There's not enough
information available to draw a proper conclusion (yet). My best
guess(tm) is that the document was written by experienced sailor and
sold as an educational book on navigation to aspiring young sailors.
The original document size is typical of the odd sizes found in vanity
press books.

In any case, the document photo is certainly not proof that the
College of Marin offers a degree in navigation. For that matter, no
college offers a degree based taking a class on one topic.

Note that there's nothing offered in navigation in the college
catalog. See the list on the left:
<https://marin.elumenapp.com/catalog/current/program-and-course-descriptions#mainContent>

I was also going to harangue Tom about not having a High Skool
diploma. However, it seems that a high school diploma is not required
for admission to COM:
<https://marin.elumenapp.com/catalog/current/admissions-information#mainContent>
All that's required is to be over 18 and a California resident.
However, I don't believe that was the case 60 years ago.

I've anyone has some experience or insight into the copy process used,
I would be interested.

John B.

Aug 30, 2023, 3:40:43 AM8/30/23
On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 20:15:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:
If you search for "Tom Kunich is an ass", you get some 258,640 "hits"
dating back to Dec 26, 2005, some 18 years ago. In one of his posts
Jobst Brandt states, "I thought we had gotten over him, now that we
have other contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always
carping while offering no useful information."

Eighteen years of posting lies, half truths and fantasies. And he's
"still going strong". Think of it, nearly 20 years of being called a
liar, having his statements proven wrong and generally acting the
fool.

The question might be asked, "Is this guy sane?"
--
Cheers,

John B.

Tim R

Aug 30, 2023, 8:17:52 AM8/30/23
As soon as I read the initial post, I realized there are two possibilities.

Life is rarely binary but this time, maybe.

1. Tom has been hacked.
2. You have all been pranked.

Lou Holtman

Aug 30, 2023, 10:12:33 AM8/30/23
One could get that impression because it was such a stupid post.

Lou

William Crowell

Aug 30, 2023, 10:19:43 AM8/30/23
If Tom is a prankster, then we need to notify Jay Beattie, Esq. about it and get him back on the board so that Prankster Tom can prank him some more. That would be rather entertaining. (Far be it from me to be a troublemaker.) Also, out of kindness we should immediately notify Andre Jute about Prankster Tom so that Andre can re-evaluate whether he wants to continue to agree with everything Tom says. Of course the whole Tom Kunich construct could be part of a simulation that is hoodwinking us.

Tom Kunich

Aug 30, 2023, 10:40:49 AM8/30/23
So you believe the choir of the Stupid 4 that the College of Marin never offered a degree in navigation despite the title page of the course that was shown? You certainly have been witness to these four failures crying that I could not have been successful because I simply wasn't as good as they are. I had a 145 IQ and an early tendancy to study on my own. According to Frank, that's not enough. You HAD to sit in a classroom and listen to some bumbling idiot like him droning on as if that imparted something. And do you know why he is so positive? Because one past student returned to thank him. Thank him for what would be a good question. There are plenty of smart and quick students that learned it all themselves and didn't realize that all the teacher did was reinforce their own intelligence.

Slocomb spent a lot of time bragging about how he was a crew chief on an never used bomber that was replaced by the B47 before it was ever in service. (for the uninformed B50 becomes later than B47). Then another load of cock and bull about his life in the Air Force because he had absolutely no talents to fall back on. Then his after military retirement in a company that SERVICED military bases. These occurred after the military drawdown. At this point actual military became too valuable to use cleaning toilets and driving a streetsweeper on a runway. He continued talking about riding a bike into Bangkok. From his previous comments it was clear that he was in his 90's and when I asked how a 90 year old man was riding a clunker that far he denied his age and then recently made a comment about his and his wife's age the showed him again lying.

Flunky is a paperwork queen and nothing more. All you have to do is look at the times and how often he posts to know he does NO work at all and even if he had a degree it never carried the least meaning since he never used any of that knowledge and it does not age well.

Liebermann claims that he designed in vacuum tubes. I am older than he is and I designed with vacuum tubes in my early teens. The transfer to transistors and then integrated circuits was simple and easy. So why couldn't he make such a transition? Instead he was fired from job after job in SILICON VALLEY! That market was so hot that they were taking anyone that could hold a pen in their correct hand! Ask yourself why he had to resort to working for himself as a technician changing out inkjet printer cartridges for people that didn't know how?

Now, I would never have talked about any of this if these 4 morons weren't denying my success. I in fact let it go for a long time before giving it back to them. Jobst Brant's reaction to my simply saying that he wasn't aware that he was leading rides in such a manner as to endanger all of the newbies that he attracted because of his fame from his books was another example. Not one of these lunatics knew or rode with Jobst but me and they fully approved of Jobst publishing my mother's address as mine when I was actually married and living in Fremont at the time - 20 miles away. That started an entire marketplace of publishing addresses supposedly of mine. Do a search on Tom Kunich and you will find hundreds because Kunich is a very common name and Croats all use the names of Saints as surnames. There was another entirely unrelated Tom Kunich in San Leandro so another of those who thought of Jobst as a God, published HIS mother's address and claimed that he was living with his mother as well. I don't know if that was true but I do know that Mary Kunich ended up getting the same garbage thrown in her front yard the same as my mother.

Tell me what you think of Liebermann stalking me. His absolutely ignorant claim that because he couldn't see my Taurus X in my driveway from Google Earth I didn't own one! When I said that I had a life membership in my yacht club the son of a bitch called the yacht club and tried to give them the fourth degree. Flunky's claim from a full continent away that an EV burned into the asphalt could have been anything (clue - water puts out gasoline fires) Since I rode around that burned car for months before they scraped most of it off of the pavement it became a demand of theirs that I was lying about something so petty.

The overwhelming ignorance of these 4 is just too much. It is an actual freak show and they could make a fortune by putting it on the road and actually showing people the real them.

Tom Kunich

Aug 30, 2023, 11:01:44 AM8/30/23
Bill, Jay Beattie is referred to as a Super Lawyer by the bar. I think this has to do withy the percentage of cases he wins. And yet what BLM and the American Taliban known as the woke have entirely destroyed Portland like they have now done to San Francisco. Jay used to work for a firm who could no long afford him and released him and several other "voluntarily resigned". So he is taking ANY cases he can get. Apparently the Stupid 4 are crying that it would be a crime for him to accept any way to make a living he can. They believe that he doesn't need to support himself. They believe that the Port of Portland is still doing lots of business and that the unions are still suing the Port for union member's injuries.

Or maybe they believe he is rich and doesn't need to make a living. My reaction to all of this is that I was successful by knowing how the world works. They are all pretty much failures by denying the world around them. Eking out a living is better than living on welfare but it hardly qualifies as success.

Lou was a successful mechanical engineer. Krygowski simply couldn't hack it and took an academic position. Those who can, do, and those who can't, teach. Lou was capable of looking at things from all directions and Frank wasn't. No big deal since both are necessary. But let's not pretend the world is where its at because of people like Frank and not people like Lou.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 30, 2023, 11:54:03 AM8/30/23
That post of Tom's, like most of his, was just another bit of evidence
about his mental state.

It's actually a little sad. I'd be sympathetic if he weren't so bloody
obnoxious.

--
- Frank Krygowski

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 30, 2023, 12:52:51 PM8/30/23
I can't introduce any insight into the copy method, but consider this:
It may have been a pamphlet made by some organization - say tommy's "yacht" club, for instance - that published it with money made by advertising. The logo in the bottom left - as you note is truncated through the copy process - may have been an advertisement. It certainly isn't likely the school would have plopped a logo into what would have been the middle of the original page, but certainly an advertisement.

John B.

Aug 30, 2023, 7:31:33 PM8/30/23
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:40:45 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
What's the term? "Much ado about nothing"?

Does any U.S. collage or university offer a degree in "Navigation". A
quick search doesn't show a singe collage in the U.S. offering such a
degree. But Tommy says he has such a degree.

As for bragging? I didn't think I was. From memory (sometimes faulty)
Tommy was bragging about being an electronics guy and I replied that I
was a Crew Chief... and as for being an outdated airplane, well as a
bomber that is certainly correct but the RB 50 flew as a
reconnaissance airplane up and down the China coast until 1961.

But, I suppose that Tommy, being a lifetime failure - he still lives
in his mother's house, in a neighborhood, he tells us, swarming with
illegal immigrants - has to have, I guess, something to brag about.

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Aug 30, 2023, 8:14:37 PM8/30/23
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 08:01:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 7:19:43?AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
>> On Wednesday, August 30, 2023 at 7:12:33?AM UTC-7, Lou Holtman wrote:
This from a bloke who lives in a $70,000 house, drives a clapped out
old Banger and whines about the cost of groceries. Who at the age of
79 announced that his assets, not including the house, had, at last,
reached $1,000,000.

According to his own posts he joined the Air Force in 1964 and was
discharged in 1966 so in a 50 year working life at a self described
salary of $240,000 he must have earned something like $12,000,000....
and saved $1,000,000.

Obviously just the person to advise others about finances.
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

Aug 30, 2023, 10:06:28 PM8/30/23
One of our founders was educated here:
https://www.suny.edu/campuses/maritime/

He called it the 'Merry Time Academy'. Although I'm sure
navigation was covered (differently then than now!) it's not
a degree in itself.
--
Andrew Muzi
a...@yellowjersey.org

John B.

Aug 30, 2023, 11:16:10 PM8/30/23
Which was my point in another post. It is illogical to assume that
navigation would be taught as a "degree" subject as it is only part of
what a person needs to know to be a licensed ship officer.
As an example, the test subjects for a "6 pack" the lowest level of
licensed officer - licensed for a vessel carrying up to 6 people are:

Rules of the Road - 50 questions Minimum acceptable score - 90%
Plotting - 10 - 90%
Navigation General - 50 - 70%
Deck General - 50 - 70%
https://blog.marinerslearningsystem.com/captain-test-difficulty

--
Cheers,

John B.

sms

Aug 31, 2023, 2:50:00 AM8/31/23
On 8/29/2023 8:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 12:45:08 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=996962251448524&set=a.467381291073292
>
> Fascinating. I like mysteries and this is a good one. The question
> of the moment is "What the (deleted expletive) is this document"? I'll
> try (and probably fail) to be brief.

IIRC, Tom once claimed that he attended the California Maritime Academy,
though since he didn't know where it was located, stating that it was in
Marin County, it's unlikely that this is true. The California Maritime
Academy became part of the California State University system in 1995.

Perhaps at that time he was actually referring to the College of Marin,
a community college in Marin County which has not ever offered any
courses or degrees in navigation.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

sms

Aug 31, 2023, 2:55:34 AM8/31/23
On 8/29/2023 1:06 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

<snip>

> <https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/-Hmh6pTCz7U/m/XiKHzpeCDwAJ>
> "I read all of the books that would have gotten me a bachelors degree
> and was learning the realities of the world as well. I was rather
> taken aback to discover that I had a degree in ship's navigation. And
> from a prestigious school in Marin County as well."

Nothing wrong with College of Marin, but to call a community college a
"prestigious school" is a stretch.

CSU's California Maritime Academy does have courses in navigation, but
no degree, and it is not in Marin County.

John B.

Aug 31, 2023, 5:18:56 AM8/31/23
On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 23:55:31 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/29/2023 1:06 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/rec.bicycles.tech/c/-Hmh6pTCz7U/m/XiKHzpeCDwAJ>
>> "I read all of the books that would have gotten me a bachelors degree
>> and was learning the realities of the world as well. I was rather
>> taken aback to discover that I had a degree in ship's navigation. And
>> from a prestigious school in Marin County as well."
>
>Nothing wrong with College of Marin, but to call a community college a
>"prestigious school" is a stretch.
>
>CSU's California Maritime Academy does have courses in navigation, but
>no degree, and it is not in Marin County.

And, of course, the record shows that Tom has been ranting and raving
since 2005, at least, and, as described by Jobst Brandt, been "rude
and obnoxious, always carping while offering no
useful information."

And I came across another post dated December 2005 that says, in part,
"As far as I can tell, from reading your posts for over 10 years, is
that you (1) routinely post malarkey and (2) have a tendency to be
paranoid as all get-out. Your bitterness about your personal life
situation spills over... "

So maybe he's been obnoxious not for years and years but for years and
years and years...
--
Cheers,

John B.

sms

Aug 31, 2023, 9:12:36 AM8/31/23
On 8/31/2023 2:18 AM, John B. wrote:

<snip>

> So maybe he's been obnoxious not for years and years but for years and
> years and years...

True. Yet he is encouraged to continue by those that respond to him.

<https://www.livetpg.com/1-minute-matters-the-parable-of-the-donkey-the-tiger/>

"The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who
doesn’t care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs
and illusions.

Never waste time on discussions that make no sense. There are people
who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to
understand. Others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and
the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t."

Tom Kunich

Aug 31, 2023, 10:09:47 AM8/31/23
Sailing down the coast I had a sexton and a satellite watch so I always had Greenwich time (I still have that watch) but the yachts were all outfitted with satellite navigation so I was merely a Watch Captain practicing at navigation. It was advantageous to be able to use the Sexton to tell how far we were off of the coast because there's a sweet spot where the wind lifts for the coastline and being in that area gives you the best drive on your sails.

Jeff Liebermann

Aug 31, 2023, 12:56:20 PM8/31/23
On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:09:43 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sailing down the coast I had a sexton and a satellite watch so I always had Greenwich time (I still have that watch) but the yachts were all outfitted with satellite navigation so I was merely a Watch Captain practicing at navigation. It was advantageous to be able to use the Sexton to tell how far we were off of the coast because there's a sweet spot where the wind lifts for the coastline and being in that area gives you the best drive on your sails.

What is a "sexton"? The first time you spelled sextant wrong, I
attributed it to a possible typing error. However, doing so again, in
the same message, suggests that you are not familiar with the use of a
sextant. There's no way you could have learned to use a sextant from
library books or thermofaxed tutorials, without reading the word
sextant hundreds of times.

There's no such position as a "watch captain". A vessel has only one
captain. However, there seems to a "captain of the watch" which only
appears in a computer game.

There is also no such thing as a "satellite watch". What does one do?
Use binoculars to watch for overhead satellites?

The "best drive on your sails" is rather awkward. Something like
"best angle to the wind" would more appropriate.

We've previously discussed in RBT how to use a sextant to determine
your position or distance from shore. I'm too busy to dig through the
archives for links right now. As I recall, you couldn't explain how
it's done with a sextant. There are several ways. The easiest is
using the "Distance by vertical angle measured between waterline at
object and top of object" (Table 16) in a nautical almanac.
<https://thenauticalalmanac.com/Bowditch-%20American%20Practical%20Navigator/TABLE%2016-%20DISTANCE%20BY%20VERTICAL%20ANGLE%20MEASURED%20BETWEEN%20WATERLINE%20AT%20OBJECT%20AND%20TOP%20OF%20OBJECT.pdf>

Enough fun for now. I need to go back to stacking firewood. Photos
when I'm done.

funkma...@hotmail.com

Aug 31, 2023, 4:38:45 PM8/31/23
But jeff, you don't have a degree in navigation. Tommy does...Why, he can navigate with a sexton as a watch captain while consulting his satellite watch and trim for the best drive on the sails. In fact, I'll bet he's the only person in the world to have ever done that using those tools (especially since none of that really seems to exist).

John B.

Aug 31, 2023, 8:51:53 PM8/31/23
On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 09:56:09 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <je...@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:09:43 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
><cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Sailing down the coast I had a sexton and a satellite watch so I always had Greenwich time (I still have that watch) but the yachts were all outfitted with satellite navigation so I was merely a Watch Captain practicing at navigation. It was advantageous to be able to use the Sexton to tell how far we were off of the coast because there's a sweet spot where the wind lifts for the coastline and being in that area gives you the best drive on your sails.
>
>What is a "sexton"? The first time you spelled sextant wrong, I
>attributed it to a possible typing error. However, doing so again, in
>the same message, suggests that you are not familiar with the use of a
>sextant. There's no way you could have learned to use a sextant from
>library books or thermofaxed tutorials, without reading the word
>sextant hundreds of times.

"A sexton is an officer of a church, congregation, or synagogue
charged with the maintenance of its buildings and/or an associated
graveyard. In smaller places of worship, this office is often combined
with that of verger.[1] Larger establishments, such as cathedrals, may
employ a team of sextons."

>There's no such position as a "watch captain". A vessel has only one
>captain. However, there seems to a "captain of the watch" which only
>appears in a computer game.

The ships officer in charge of a "watch" is referred to as the
"Officer of the Deck" or sometimes "Deck Officer".

>There is also no such thing as a "satellite watch". What does one do?
>Use binoculars to watch for overhead satellites?
>
>The "best drive on your sails" is rather awkward. Something like
>"best angle to the wind" would more appropriate.

The wind near a coast depends primarily (of course) on which way the
wind is blowing and secondly on the topography. Wind from the shore
over a steep bluff or cliff would be somewhat different then a wind
over a low lying shore line.

--
Cheers,

John B.

sms

Sep 1, 2023, 12:08:34 PM9/1/23
On 8/31/2023 9:56 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:09:43 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sailing down the coast I had a sexton and a satellite watch so I always had Greenwich time (I still have that watch) but the yachts were all outfitted with satellite navigation so I was merely a Watch Captain practicing at navigation. It was advantageous to be able to use the Sexton to tell how far we were off of the coast because there's a sweet spot where the wind lifts for the coastline and being in that area gives you the best drive on your sails.
>
> What is a "sexton"? The first time you spelled sextant wrong, I
> attributed it to a possible typing error. However, doing so again, in
> the same message, suggests that you are not familiar with the use of a
> sextant. There's no way you could have learned to use a sextant from
> library books or thermofaxed tutorials, without reading the word
> sextant hundreds of times.

It's possible that he brought along a sexton. "A sexton is an officer of
a church, congregation, or synagogue charged with the maintenance of its
buildings and/or an associated graveyard."

<snip>

Jeff Liebermann

Sep 1, 2023, 2:47:41 PM9/1/23
On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:08:31 -0700, sms <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/31/2023 9:56 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 07:09:43 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
>> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sailing down the coast I had a sexton and a satellite watch so I always had Greenwich time (I still have that watch) but the yachts were all outfitted with satellite navigation so I was merely a Watch Captain practicing at navigation. It was advantageous to be able to use the Sexton to tell how far we were off of the coast because there's a sweet spot where the wind lifts for the coastline and being in that area gives you the best drive on your sails.
>>
>> What is a "sexton"? The first time you spelled sextant wrong, I
>> attributed it to a possible typing error. However, doing so again, in
>> the same message, suggests that you are not familiar with the use of a
>> sextant. There's no way you could have learned to use a sextant from
>> library books or thermofaxed tutorials, without reading the word
>> sextant hundreds of times.

>It's possible that he brought along a sexton. "A sexton is an officer of
>a church, congregation, or synagogue charged with the maintenance of its
>buildings and/or an associated graveyard."

How such a sexton would be useful "to tell how far we were off the
coast" will likely be left to the imagination. Perhaps divine
guidance might be involved.

Jeff Liebermann

Sep 1, 2023, 2:58:36 PM9/1/23
On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 13:38:43 -0700 (PDT), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But jeff, you don't have a degree in navigation. Tommy does...

As you've mentioned recently, Tom claims to have degrees in navigation
from 3 different schools, none of which actually offer degrees in
navigation.

However, I made a bad assumption that there were no schools that
offered such degrees. I finally found one:
<https://www.caribbeanjobs.com/Education/Courses/Diploma-In-Maritime-Operations-Navigation-26.aspx>
<https://utt.edu.tt/?wk=1&programmes=1&utt_programme_key=133>
The University of Trinidad and Tobago offers a
"Diploma In Maritime Operations - Navigation".
All Tom needs to do is attend the college full time for 2 years and he
will be able to claim that he has a "degree in navigation".