Tired on Rides

Tom Kunich

Nov 25, 2021, 4:27:15 PM11/25/21
All last week and especially last Thursday I was flying.
but since last Sunday I've been dragging along as if I can't ride at all. Though perhaps this is all imaginary since my morning ride of 21 miles was at 13.3 mph despite the last 8 miles into a wind holding me down to 12-13 mph with occasional surges to 14.

Last Thursday I averaged over 12 mph for 52 miles and I got pretty tired in the final 4 miles and that included 2400 feet of climbing. Now since most of my rides over the last several years have averaged 11.5 mph area either I'm getting faster or the bikes I'm using which are quite a bit heavier than the carbon fiber bikes I sold off simply ride faster.

And I'm still beat up from my crash last Thursday.

While I wasn't passed in the first half of the ride which was downwind I think, the second half of the ride had a big young guy go by me so fast that he had a back breeze.

I don't think I started any earlier than usual but I got back a full hour earlier than normal. The wind was coming out of the southeast so I had a headwind all the way back and people seemed to be just getting out for rides since there were several groups. One I believe was the club I belong to but seldom ride with and there was another group of 4 or 5 Chinese guys that I see occasionally.

Last Tuesday evening I looked at my phone and there had been a message from a friend about a ride out and back to Moraga. That would have been a nice ride if I had seen it earlier. That is a 37 mile 3400 foot ride and its been a long time since I rode that because the coffee shop out there is still covid-freaky. The idea that this is a disease that escaped a Category 4 containment facility but you're perfectly safe wearing a paper or home-made cloth mask is just too stupid to think that people actually believe. So I avoid places that say "masks required" on the doors. Can you believe that they do this on restaurants where you are supposed to wear a mask to your table but then become perfectly safe removing it?

But that is off point. I seem to be doing my usual end of year spurt of fitness. I'm pretty sure that if the weather permits, that I can make another 500 miles to the end of the year and have a 5,000 mile year. I'm already at 87,000 feet of climbing and if I start doing the usual rides in 2022 I will be back to 5,000 feet per week or 250,000 for the year.

But I hope that this winter will be a heavy rain year. It normally would start in January. That is normal but right now we have the TV screaming that since we don't have rain now it is due to global warming. Talk about idiots.