How do you pronounce....?

JDTPumps

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
I was wondering if there is some kind of glossary or pronunciation guide for
bike stuff. Example: I have been told by "knowledgeable" folk that Mavic is
pronounced "Ma-VEEK", while I have heard it pronounced "MA-vick" or "MAA-vick"
at just about every place I've been. Like, how do you pronounce peloton or
Gipiemme? Is Guerciotti "ger-chee-O-tee"? Am I the only person that wonders
about this kind of thing?
Bill Taylor

Tecnociclo

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
>Like, how do you pronounce peloton or
>Gipiemme?

Gipiemme is said as written. It's actually the initials GPM turned into a word
that then stuck and became a written word.

Marco.

a...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
I think peloton is pronounced as it is: pElotOn or smth like this. And I would
pronounce Guerciotti as ger-see-Ot-tee. That's only my opinion though.

Alexey Karshakevich

In article <19981111084109...@ng12.aol.com>,

er...@emieng.com

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
JDTPumps wrote:
> I was wondering if there is some kind of glossary or pronunciation guide
> for bike stuff.

At least for "Mavic", it's covered on their web site:
http://www.mavic.com/faq.html. Here's the pertinent paragraph.
The word MAVIC is actually an acronym. It stands for Manufacture
d'Articles VŽlocipediques Idoux et Chanel (MAVIC). Idoux and Chanel
are the two founders of MAVIC in 1890. Pronouciation will depend on
what side of the globe you're from. Typically, in the US it is pronounced
(Mah-vick), and globally it is pronounced (Mah-veek). Anyway you say
it is okay with us.

Jacob Høgh Olesen

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
a...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I think peloton is pronounced as it is: pElotOn or smth like this.

pe-lo-TON in French. Sort of like [pee-low-tong], only considerably shorter

Regards, Jacob H. Olesen

vcard.vcf

so...@spamlesssoleassociates.com

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
a...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

»I think peloton is pronounced as it is: pElotOn or smth like this. And I would

»pronounce Guerciotti as ger-see-Ot-tee. That's only my opinion though.

I don't speak a word of Italian, but a student of mine once told
me that there is no "see" sound in Italian for the letter "c". It
is (according to him) always a "ch" sound so this might be:

Gwer-chee-Ot-ee

--
-Kenneth

If you email please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Mark Atanowicz

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
In article <72cr26$8cq$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>
a...@my-dejanews.com writes:

> I think peloton is pronounced as it is: pElotOn or smth like this. And I would
> pronounce Guerciotti as ger-see-Ot-tee. That's only my opinion though.
>

> Alexey Karshakevich

The correct pronunciation of Gerciotti as told to me by one of them
I-talians is: ger-CHYO-tee (long "O").

Mark Atanowicz

alexgian

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

Guerciotti:
Goo-Er-cho-TT-e

Gipiemme:
Gee-pee(!)-eMMeh (sorry that's the closest one)

Alex

Rick Denney

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:11:50 GMT, a...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

>And I would
>pronounce Guerciotti as ger-see-Ot-tee. That's only my opinion though.

Change the 's' sound in the above to a 'ch' sound, and my opinion will
agree with yours. 'Guer' should rhyme with 'fair'.

Rick "Gringo-mouth" Denney

G.T.

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98

>>And I would
>>pronounce Guerciotti as ger-see-Ot-tee. That's only my opinion though.
>>

>Change the 's' sound in the above to a 'ch' sound, and my opinion will
>agree with yours. 'Guer' should rhyme with 'fair'.

guer = fair, yes. but i don't think any european, regardless of language,
would enunciate every syllable after that, it should roll off the tongue
like choati or something similar.

greg

Gregory Sutter

Nov 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/11/98
JDTPumps <jdtp...@aol.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is some kind of glossary or pronunciation guide for
> bike stuff. Example: I have been told by "knowledgeable" folk that Mavic is
> pronounced "Ma-VEEK", while I have heard it pronounced "MA-vick" or "MAA-vick"
> at just about every place I've been. Like, how do you pronounce peloton or
> Gipiemme? Is Guerciotti "ger-chee-O-tee"? Am I the only person that wonders
> about this kind of thing?
> Bill Taylor

It's LINN-uks, sort of rhyming with "cynics".

Sorry.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsu...@pobox.com "You uudecode it."

TROY A COLEMAN

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
This is why I like living in this country. We can pronounce anything any
damn way we please, and its correct cause wer 'amuricuns

Daniel Mildenberger

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
As with most situations in life, it's more important to be decisive than to
be correct.

Just pick a pronunciation and stick with it.

a...@my-dejanews.com

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Yes, your version is how it's really pronounced in Italian, but someone who
speaks English would say it in inglese style.

Alexey Karshakevich

In article <72cvko$24c6$1...@newsgate.sps.mot.com>,

MAtan...@aol.com (Mark Atanowicz) wrote:
> In article <72cr26$8cq$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>
> a...@my-dejanews.com writes:
>

> > I think peloton is pronounced as it is: pElotOn or smth like this. And I

would
> > pronounce Guerciotti as ger-see-Ot-tee. That's only my opinion though.
> >

> > Alexey Karshakevich
>
> The correct pronunciation of Gerciotti as told to me by one of them
> I-talians is: ger-CHYO-tee (long "O").
>

> Mark Atanowicz

J999w

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
<<Gipiemme:
Gee-pee(!)-eMMeh (sorry that's the closest one)

Alex

After breaking 2 pedals in one month (years ago) I ended up calling them "Gyp -
me's".

I'm sure their quality is much improved now though!

How about "Bontrager" ??

Is it Bont' - rage -er , Bont - rag '- er, or Bon - trager' ???

John Wilke

PUNCHESFTW

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98

>How about "Bontrager" ??
>
>Is it Bont' - rage -er , Bont - rag '- er, or Bon - trager' ???
>
>John Wilke
bahn- tray- gerr

ago...@dd.palmer.edu

Nov 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/15/98
In article <72gn5c$r...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "TROY A COLEMAN" <troyc...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>This is why I like living in this country. We can pronounce anything any
>damn way we please, and its correct cause wer 'amuricuns
>Gregory Sutter wrote in message <364a6...@news.mediacity.com>...
>>JDTPumps <jdtp...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> I was wondering if there is some kind of glossary or pronunciation guide
>for
>>> bike stuff. Example: I have been told by "knowledgeable" folk that
>Mavic is
>>> pronounced "Ma-VEEK", while I have heard it pronounced "MA-vick" or
>"MAA-vick"

Ma-VEEK is correct.

>>> at just about every place I've been. Like, how do you pronounce peloton
>or
>>> Gipiemme? Is Guerciotti "ger-chee-O-tee"? Am I the only person that

Gee-pee-ehM-May

gwear-chee-OH-tee

Steve

rich...@cruzio.com

Nov 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/16/98
In article <19981115175908...@ng82.aol.com>,

Close

BAHN tray gerr

Lazy Amurikahn tongues... ;-)

It used to be

Borntraeger

(the ae was actually an A with an Umlaut - a German character).

I have a hard time with the "orn" - my Euro trilled r's are
not world class...

Keith bohn trah Jeah (a French version).

alexgian

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
ago...@dd.palmer.edu wrote:

> In article <72gn5c$r...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "TROY A COLEMAN" <troyc...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >This is why I like living in this country. We can pronounce anything any
> >damn way we please, and its correct cause wer 'amuricuns
> >Gregory Sutter wrote in message <364a6...@news.mediacity.com>...
> >for
> >Mavic is
> >"MAA-vick"
>
> Ma-VEEK is correct.

> >or
>
> Gee-pee-ehM-May
>
> gwear-chee-OH-tee

Close but no cigar:

Gwer-cho-TTee
(you actually do not hear the mid 'i" in Guerciotti)

and Gipiemme:

Gee-pee-emm-eh (the eh is the hard part.... :)

Alex

Jobst Brandt

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
In this light we might consider some rules of Italian pronunciation
rather than investigating specific names and words.

Italian has no J,K,W,Y as such but generates these and other sounds
with combinations.

hard c / k = ch as in Chianti [kie-ahn'-tie]
ch is used to make a hard c before e and i
soft c = ci as in Cino Cinelli [chee'-no] [chin-ell'-ie]
the soft c occurs with ci and ce, c is otherwise hard
hard g = gh as in Ghisallo [gie-sal'-oh], spaghetti
gh is used to make a hard g before e and i
soft g / j = gi as in Gianni [jah'-ny] or [johnny] the "i" is part
of the "j" sound and is not pronounced preceding another vowel
y-sound = gn as in Bagno [bahn'-yo]
or gl as in Bivigliano [biv-il-yah'-no]

The accent falls on the penultimate syllable unless an accent' is
used or the word is a composite such as Ferrovia, where the two
words ferro and via retain their identity [fe'-ro..vi'-ah] (railway)
Italy has many towns with foreign language names that don't follow
these rules or have an accent such as Forli' or Temu'.

Colorful names like Cinque Terre, Civitavecchia, Riomaggiore and
many others can be pronounced by the above rules.

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Sheldon Brown

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
[posted; not mailed]

Jobst Brandt wrote:

> In this light we might consider some rules of Italian pronunciation
> rather than investigating specific names and words.

Thanks, that was helpful...but the one that always confuses me is what to do
about words that end in "e"?

Sheldon "Better At French Than Italian" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| Whatever became of eternal truth? |
Phone 617-244-1040 FAX 617-244-1041
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Stella Hackell

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
In article <72sg5k$f9p$9...@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>, jbr...@hpl.hp.com (Jobst
Brandt) wrote:

[snip useful post]

> Colorful names like Cinque Terre, Civitavecchia, Riomaggiore and
> many others can be pronounced by the above rules.

"Cinque Terre" looks French and would be pronounced (very approximately)
Sahnk Terr. Do the Italians pronounce it according to the Italian rules,
Chink-ay Terr-eh?

--
Stella Hackell ste...@wco.com

She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the
mastery of life.
--Frances E. Willard, _How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle_

Jobst Brandt

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Sheldon Brown writes:

>> In this light we might consider some rules of Italian pronunciation
>> rather than investigating specific names and words.

> Thanks, that was helpful...but the one that always confuses me is
> what to do about words that end in "e"?

All vowels are pronounced with the exceptions I mentioned. Therefore,
a trailing e is pronounced and is a long e as in Fiesole
[fie-ay'-so-lay] or Firenze [fi-ren'-zay] (Florence). The town Faenza
is pronounced with all vowels, the ae not making a new sound
[fah-en'-zah].

a = [ah]
b = [bay]
c = [say]
d = [day]
e = [ay]
f = [eff]
g = [gay]
i = [ie]
o = [oh]
u = [ooh]

Just as in English, there are long and short forms of vowels and some
of the same rules apply. Double t's, l's, n's, etc make preceding
vowels short although in English we append a silent e to lengthen them,
as in "bitter" "bite" "bit". English has more exceptions.

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Jobst Brandt

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Stella Hackell writes:

>> Colorful names like Cinque Terre, Civitavecchia, Riomaggiore and
>> many others can be pronounced by the above rules.

> "Cinque Terre" looks French and would be pronounced (very
> approximately) Sahnk Terr. Do the Italians pronounce it according to
> the Italian rules, Chink-ay Terr-eh?

Yes, but they say [chink'-way]. You can see where this region is on
the map shown at:

http://city.net/maps/view/?mapurl=/countries/italy

The coast between La Spezia [spay'-tsia] and Monaco [Mo'-na-co] is a
mixture of french and italian, having switched sides now and then in
antiquity.

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

alexgian

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Stella Hackell wrote:

> In article <72sg5k$f9p$9...@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>, jbr...@hpl.hp.com (Jobst
> Brandt) wrote:
>
> [snip useful post]
>
> > Colorful names like Cinque Terre, Civitavecchia, Riomaggiore and
> > many others can be pronounced by the above rules.
>
> "Cinque Terre" looks French and would be pronounced (very approximately)
> Sahnk Terr. Do the Italians pronounce it according to the Italian rules,
> Chink-ay Terr-eh?

Even if it may look French to an American (you may be thinking of
something think of cirque) Cinque Terre is very Italian: it means
"five lands" and yes it's a stunning place where they still produce a
great wine on terraces facing the sea...
Alex

alexgian

Nov 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/17/98
Jobst Brandt wrote:

Not bad, not bad at all, just some adjustments:

> All vowels are pronounced with the exceptions I mentioned. Therefore,
> a trailing e is pronounced and is a long e as in Fiesole
> [fie-ay'-so-lay] or Firenze [fi-ren'-zay] (Florence).

The pronuonciation of "e" at the end of any word is not really 'ay' but
rather 'eh' and this is a common mistake of most English speaking (in
fact it is what immediately gives them away them even if they speak a
correct Italian...)

The town Faenza
> is pronounced with all vowels, the ae not making a new sound
> [fah-en'-zah].

Yes but it is not an exception, the Latin dypthongs ae, oe did not
survive in Italian

> a = [ah] OK
> b = [bay] close but it's [bee]
> c = [say] no, it's [chee]
> d = [day] no, it' [dee]
> e = [ay] close but it's [eh]
> f = [eff] no, it's [eff-eh]
> g = [gay] no, it's gee
> i = [ie] OK
> o = [oh] OK
> u = [ooh] OK

It's quite nice to see this interest in the Italian language (this
subject appears frequently on the NG), this really sets the cycling
population in a class of its own in a Country where foreign languages
are at best ignored.
By the way do you have a real life (bicycling) connection with the
three cities you mentioned, Firenze, Fiesole, Faenza?

Alex (riding a bike with a what we call a Doorahceh gruppo)

Jobst Brandt

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Alex Gian writes:

> Not bad, not bad at all, just some adjustments:

>> All vowels are pronounced with the exceptions I mentioned.
>> Therefore, a trailing e is pronounced and is a long e as in Fiesole
>> [fie-ay'-so-lay] or Firenze [fi-ren'-zay] (Florence).

> The pronuonciation of "e" at the end of any word is not really 'ay'
> but rather 'eh' and this is a common mistake of most English
> speaking (in fact it is what immediately gives them away them even
> if they speak a correct Italian...)

That depends on how you define ay and eh. I didn't use standard
dictionary procedure to normalize the sound of ay. English doesn't
have exactly the same intonation. This is most apparent with the
English o that is so close but yet so far from the Italian to the
trained ear.

>> The town Faenza is pronounced with all vowels, the ae not making a
>> new sound [fah-en'-zah].

> Yes but it is not an exception, the Latin dypthongs ae, oe did not
> survive in Italian

It is an exception to the English speaker who thinks it is a double
vowel.

>> a = [ah] OK
>> b = [bay] close but it's [bee]
>> c = [say] no, it's [chee]

>> d = [day] no, it's [dee]

>> e = [ay] close but it's [eh]

>> f = [eff] no, it's [eff-eh] I should remember to end in a vowel

>> g = [gay] no, it's gee
>> i = [ie] OK
>> o = [oh] OK
>> u = [ooh] OK

> By the way do you have a real life (bicycling) connection with the

> three cities you mentioned, Firenze, Fiesole, Faenza?

I biked there a few times but I don't get to the Toscana much any more
being wrapped up in the Alps on the short time I get to ride there.

> Alex (riding a bike with a what we call a Doorahceh gruppo)

Hey! THat's mu line. I also drink Slee-chay and Spree-tay, thos
famouse Italian brands.

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Jacob Høgh Olesen

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Stella Hackell wrote:

> "Cinque Terre" looks French

If it was French it would be "Cinq Terres". The above is Italian.

Regards, Jacob H. Olesen

vcard.vcf

Karl Frantz

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
So how about "Giro"?
--
Karl Frantz * fra...@eng.pko.dec.com

M. Marletta

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
Jobst Brandt wrote:
> The coast between La Spezia [spay'-tsia] and Monaco [Mo'-na-co] is a
> mixture of french and italians, having switched sides now and then in
> antiquity.

Actually, the pronunciation you seem to suggest for
Spezia is the one which immediately betrays a tourist
as German. In the film `Das Boot', the German sailors
pronounce Spezia as spay'-tsia. The `e' in Spezia
should be pronounced the same way as the `e' in the English
word `red'.

To get back on topic, Liguria is a great place to go
cycling. There are plenty of flat roads for people who
cannot climb, and plenty of climbs for the grimpeurs.
The climb I particularly like is from Riomaggiore to
Volastra: 400m of climbing in 3km, on the side of a
completely exposed hill. The sun can be merciless, and
there are sections so steep that even jumping on the pedals
in my lowest gear of 42x21 I was hard put to maintain
13 km/h.

Because cycling is so popular in Italy, and not merely
a recreation for hardcore racers and massochists, there
is no problem of being regarded as a `Fred' if you have
a belly and ride a triple.

Marco

Michael kelly

Nov 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/18/98
: So how about "Giro"?

Just pronounce like in "gyroscope." Really. You'll make lots of Italian
friends fast.

Really, it's "zhee-RO" -- the zh being more of a soft g, but that's how
I've seen it spelled phonetically.

Mike in DC

alexgian

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98
Jobst Brandt wrote:

> > Alex (riding a bike with a what we call a Doorahceh gruppo)
>
> Hey! THat's mu line. I also drink Slee-chay and Spree-tay, thos
> famouse Italian brands.

LOL

Alex

Jobst Brandt

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
Reinhard Gruner writes:

>> about words that end in "e"?

> I know I'm getting a little off the point, but in the same way the
> German 'e' at the end of a word is always pronounced. One famous
> example is Porsche, which most English speaking people pronounce as
> 'Porsh', but has really an e-sound like the first 'e' in 'enter'.
> The accent is still on the 'o'.

Yes but the English "eh" is not easily tacked onto the end of a word as
practice shows. Those who attempt it often come up with something that
sounds more like "portia". Try Przyblinski or Wrzbrz bot good names in
eastern Europe.

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Stuart Paynter

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98

Jobst Brandt wrote:

> Reinhard Gruner writes:
>
> >> about words that end in "e"?
>
> > I know I'm getting a little off the point, but in the same way the
> > German 'e' at the end of a word is always pronounced. One famous
> > example is Porsche, which most English speaking people pronounce as
> > 'Porsh', but has really an e-sound like the first 'e' in 'enter'.
> > The accent is still on the 'o'.
>
> Yes but the English "eh" is not easily tacked onto the end of a word as
> practice shows. Those who attempt it often come up with something that
> sounds more like "portia".

Unless, of course, you are Canadian, where it is perfectly natural to
endany word with an "eh".

"Look at that Porsche, eh".

Stu, proud Canadian, eh