New Sheldon Brown article on gear interchangeability

Sheldon Brown

Nov 3, 2005, 1:14:36 PM11/3/05
I get a lot of email questions about compatibility of "n-speed"
doohickeys with "n+1-speed" frammises.

I've put together a Web page that tries to summarize these issues in a
clear and concise manner.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds

Sheldon "Speedy" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts
| The nice thing about standards is that |
| there are so many of them to choose from. |
| --Andrew S. Tanenbaum |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Jasper Janssen

Nov 3, 2005, 1:51:03 PM11/3/05
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 13:14:36 -0500, Sheldon Brown
<capt...@sheldonbrown.com> wrote:

>I get a lot of email questions about compatibility of "n-speed"
>doohickeys with "n+1-speed" frammises.
>
>I've put together a Web page that tries to summarize these issues in a
>clear and concise manner.
>
>See: http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds

Just a heads-up: your 'see the Capreo page' link on this page links to
.../capreo.html, when it should link to ../capreo/.

Jasper

Sheldon Brown

Nov 3, 2005, 2:15:43 PM11/3/05
Jasper Janssen wrote:

Thanks, I've fixed it so both URLs work.

Sheldon "Forwarding" Brown
| In our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: |
| freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence |
| never to practice either of them. --Mark Twain |

dvt

Nov 3, 2005, 2:57:10 PM11/3/05
Sheldon Brown wrote:
> I get a lot of email questions about compatibility of "n-speed"
> doohickeys with "n+1-speed" frammises.
>
> I've put together a Web page that tries to summarize these issues in a
> clear and concise manner.
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds

Good summary, Sheldon. If I may be so bold, I would like to suggest you
add a reference:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

That's for the nerdy types (i.e. me) that like the gory details. I'd put
it in the "Derailers - Rear" section of your page.

Keep up the excellent work.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

meb

Nov 4, 2005, 4:17:33 AM11/4/05

Is the middle hub (that state Uniglide compatible in contrast to the
right which has no compatibility statement) in that trio Hyperglide and
Uniglide
hubs some sort of universal hub that accepted Hyperglide lockrings and
Uniglide threadon small sprockets?

--
meb

Jasper Janssen

Nov 4, 2005, 6:13:58 AM11/4/05

It'd be really nice to have that link somewhere I can easily find it (ie,
on sheldonbrown.com). So far, I've just been spreading it around here at
every opportunity, so if I need it I can google groups myself with a
likely keyword, but that's a bit of a laborious process.

Bookmarks? What's that? As Linus Torvalds once said: "Backups are for
wimps. Real men upload their data to an FTP site and have everyone else
mirror it."

Jasper

Jasper Janssen

Nov 4, 2005, 6:19:23 AM11/4/05
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:17:33 +1100, meb
<meb.1...@no-mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>Sheldon Brown Wrote:
>> I get a lot of email questions about compatibility of "n-speed"
>> doohickeys with "n+1-speed" frammises.
>>
>> I've put together a Web page that tries to summarize these issues in a
>> clear and concise manner.
>>
>> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds

>Is the middle hub (that state Uniglide compatible in contrast to the

>right which has no compatibility statement) in that trio Hyperglide and
>Uniglide
>hubs some sort of universal hub that accepted Hyperglide lockrings and
>Uniglide threadon small sprockets?

You're referring to http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#uniglide , I take it?
Short answer: yes. You can tell on the photo that the rightmost two bodies
have the wide spline and internal threads for a modern lockring (and the
leftmost one doesn't), and that the leftmost two ones have the external
threads for a locking sprocket (and, of course, old-spline cogs will fit
on either type).

Jasper

Sheldon Brown

Nov 4, 2005, 12:22:04 PM11/4/05
Jasper Janssen wrote:
I wrote:

>>>I get a lot of email questions about compatibility of "n-speed"
>>>doohickeys with "n+1-speed" frammises.
>>>
>>>I've put together a Web page that tries to summarize these issues in a
>>>clear and concise manner.
>>>
>>>See: http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds

A shy person suggested:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

> It'd be really nice to have that link somewhere I can easily find it (ie,
> on sheldonbrown.com).

I had not seen that before. I've added links at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary ("Derailer" entry)

http://sheldonbrown.com/speeds

Sheldon "Lynx" Brown
| I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. |
| --Mark Twain |

jim beam

Nov 4, 2005, 12:42:33 PM11/4/05
sheldon, your meta content is still from your fixed gear page:

Content="Fixed gear bicycles are usually associated with track cycling,
but many riders enjoy riding them on the road. How to set up and ride a
fixed-gear bicycle for road use."