BEWARE Another Bike related ebay scam

Yametazamwa mara 57
Ruka hadi kwenye ujumbe wa kwanza ambao haujasomwa

Chad G

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 12:12:3017/12/2003
kwa
Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on
ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current seller posted a
very similar auction listing. He also used all the pictures that I took of
the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this,
especially this time of year. I figured I would bring it to everyones
attention because there are 15bids on it already.

The auction # is 3645460915

I hope this helps,
Chad

Q.

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 13:01:3917/12/2003
kwa

"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

I really hope you contacted eBay as well ...

C.Q.C.

Harris

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 13:06:5617/12/2003
kwa

Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice
he includes the words "good luck." ;->

Art Harris

Alex Rodriguez

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 13:27:2817/12/2003
kwa
In article <BC05F8AE.A26%cha...@sympatico.ca>, cha...@sympatico.ca says...

Did you get in touch with ebay? They might kill the auction early and
save someone from getting ripped off.
-----------------
Alex

Paul Southworth

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 13:48:5517/12/2003
kwa

John Rees

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 15:15:4017/12/2003
kwa
"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%cha...@sympatico.ca...

Another dead giveaway (if a brand new seller with no feedback isn't enough of a red flag) it's a private auction. There are eBay
users out there who have logins like 'bewareitsascam' and bid a ridiculous bid on the auction to further warn away potential
bidders. Making it private foils these guys from making it know it's a scam. There are items where a private auction is probably a
good idea, but I see no reason why a bike auction need to be one.

Did you ask the seller any questions? Did you get a response?

Werehatrack

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 15:51:5317/12/2003
kwa

Have you notified EBay yet? If those pictures are yours, then you
have the single easiest shot at getting him knocked off.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

onefred

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 19:09:3317/12/2003
kwa
> Wow! How can people bid $2500 on seller with no feedback rating? I notice
> he includes the words "good luck." ;->

Try $10,000+. And he only accepts payments in the form of a bank transfer.
I wonder what he would do if someone in NY won and wanted to pay in-person.

Dave

Q.

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 19:39:3817/12/2003
kwa

"onefred" <datay...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You're assuming these people actually live in NY ... and not Nigeria (c:

C.Q.C.

Jeff Starr

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 20:05:3917/12/2003
kwa
Harris <aha...@bookworm.suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message news:<4X0Eb.3095$5M.8...@dfw-read.news.verio.net>...

I just checked in, there was 11 minutes left and the bid was at
$14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.
Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915
Jeff

David

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 20:13:5417/12/2003
kwa

"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:BC05F8AE.A26%cha...@sympatico.ca...

Sold, for $14100. Looks a *little* high to me. What did yours sell for?

len

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 21:20:2317/12/2003
kwa

"Jeff Starr" <jst...@peoplepc.com> wrote> I just checked in, there was 11

minutes left and the bid was at
> $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.
> Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645460915
> Jeff
I just did some investigating: the original poster got about $ 2400, for the
bike, fair price, and those were indeed his photos. The thief is hoping to
get over $14000, this is truly amusing. I suspect he will not get dirt. But,
I could be wrong. In which case, the buyer has bought, a truly light bike. I
mean people brag about 16, 17, or 18 lbs bikes, but the buyer has bought a
bike, that cannot be weighed, it is so light. However, there may be
visibility issues. Reliability could be sketchy, too. rotflmao. len

Mark Janeba

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 22:34:5817/12/2003
kwa
Harris wrote:

The seller "Registered Dec-12-03 in United States" - that's another
giveaway.

Mark Janeba

John Rees

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 22:36:0717/12/2003
kwa

"Jeff Starr" <jst...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

It makes all the sense in the world to me. Someone, knowing it
was a scam, posted a bid for this amount knowing they would
never pay it. In doing so, they saved some potentially
ignorant eBay newbie from getting fleeced. Of course, nobody
is going to outbid 14k for that bike. Look at the bid history
below. It all looked pretty normal until the post appeared on
rbr. Then, very quickly, the bidding went over the top. The
guy who bid 1,425 will probably never learn the favour someone
did them.

BTW, another red flag: Payment by bank transfer ONLY. caveat
emptor, baby!

$14,100.00 12-17 12:11:01
$14,000.00 12-17 16:29:58
$10,000.00 12-17 14:32:16
$6,969.00 12-17 12:08:25
$5,000.00 12-17 08:47:50
$1,425.00 12-17 01:24:37
$1,400.00 12-16 21:47:06
$1,399.00 12-17 01:23:20
$1,300.00 12-16 20:55:16
$1,275.00 12-16 21:46:57
$1,150.00 12-16 21:46:49
$1,100.00 12-16 21:46:41
$1,050.00 12-16 21:46:28
$1,000.00 12-16 07:27:57
$800.00 12-15 13:36:03
$520.00 12-15 17:16:46
$500.00 12-14 05:26:02
$300.00 12-12 19:19:12
$300.00 12-13 02:03:03
$200.00 12-13 02:02:04

Werehatrack

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 22:44:5517/12/2003
kwa

I suspect that the bid was intentionally made that high by a fraud
blocker.

velojim

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 22:49:4917/12/2003
kwa
at present the seller is not a registered user.

"Chris Phillipo" <cphi...@ramsays-online.coim> wrote in message
> In article <bmg1uvom0rousc27n...@4ax.com>, rault00
> @earthWEEDSlink.net says...

> And 15% of the time, eBay staff does the right thing so it's worth a
> shot.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

Werehatrack

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 22:51:0317/12/2003
kwa

A variant on the scam under discussion may be at work here; the
"seller" gets a fake bid for some absurd amount, and then contacts
each of the bidders who were down in the more reasonable area and
offers them the chance to buy the bike at their bid because that nasty
high bidder turned out to be someone who was just jerking the seller
around...and then the buyer is truly screwed, since it's taking place
outside even eBay's paltry protections.

onefred

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 00:50:0818/12/2003
kwa
> $14,100.00. It makes no sense at all.

Who's gonna pay those closing fees? Ouch.

LOL!

Dave

onefred

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 01:05:2418/12/2003
kwa
> You're assuming these people actually live in NY ... and not Nigeria (c:

Oh, I understand. I just wanted to know what his excuse would be...

I could see the excuse: "Well, I'm not in NY now... um... ya see..., I'm
stationed in Iraq... but... um... I'm a Nigerian immigrant who came to NY
and loved it so much that I joined the Marines to fight for this great
country... My Nigerian bank account # is 0123456789... Don't worry, the
bike is NEW!!!" Someone would eventually fall for it.

I wonder what these scammer's success rate is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646740310

Dave

Matthew

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 17:28:3817/12/2003
kwa

"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
And we know you're not the scam artist because ...?

Matthew

hayajasomwa,
17 Des 2003, 17:31:0117/12/2003
kwa

"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
And either way I don't think Lemond will be happy about its dealers selling
via mail order.

someone

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 04:00:4518/12/2003
kwa

> >Sold, for $14100. Looks a *little* high to me. What did yours sell for?
>
> I suspect that the bid was intentionally made that high by a fraud
> blocker.

I've seen a number of auctions like this lately, for example a Trek
5900 going for $15000 several times, and I have never understood what
is going on. It never occurred to me that someone would be trying to
block fraud by raising the price to an absurd level. Do you get in
trouble if you place a high bid and win and then don't buy the item?
My only guess before was that this was some kind of bizarre money
laundering operation.

Chad G

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 08:25:4618/12/2003
kwa
I am the original poster regarding this scam. As soon as I saw the auction
I notified ebay, I notified the respective newgroups, and I emailed the
seller. He promptly replied saying that he has a similar bike to sell.
Knowing how automated ebay services are I took it upon myself to put a max
bid of $17000 on the bike. From how the auction played out, I assume a few
other people decided to have some fun with it. When it ended I was
immediately sent a pretty funny email. Instead of paying $14100, he wanted
me to suck certain parts of him and he wanted to do dirty things to my wife.
Happy holidays everyone,
Chad

On 12/18/03 4:00 AM, in article
c7ffcbc0.03121...@posting.google.com, "someone"

David Damerell

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 08:46:3218/12/2003
kwa
Matthew <matthew...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on
>>ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current seller posted a
>>very similar auction listing. He also used all the pictures that I took
>And we know you're not the scam artist because ...?

How would it make sense for him to run a scam and then post alerting
potential buyers to the fact that it's a scam?
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?

Richard Adams

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 10:08:0318/12/2003
kwa

Probably set up with a stolen CC, how can you assume otherwise?

Edward Dike, III

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 10:59:1518/12/2003
kwa

"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Where did you transact the sale for the bike you ".... sold last week..."
eBay?...
What's the auction #?

ED3

Eric Struckhoff

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 14:07:5118/12/2003
kwa
ED3 inquired thusly:

> Where did you transact the sale for the bike you ".... sold last week..."
> eBay?...
> What's the auction #?

Try #3640806719.

Tim McNamara

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 14:35:0218/12/2003
kwa
Chris Phillipo <cphi...@ramsays-online.coim> writes:

> In article <OEF*UV...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
> dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk says...

>> Matthew <matthew...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> >And we know you're not the scam artist because ...?
>>
>> How would it make sense for him to run a scam and then post
>> alerting potential buyers to the fact that it's a scam?
>>

> That wouldn't make sense, what would make sense is someone trying to
> screw up a ligitimate auction because they hate the guy.\

Well, then we're into some kind of Laingian knot that cannot be
resolved. Look at the auction and decide for yourself. IMHO whoever
posted this auction is doing it for the amusement of him/herself and
possibly some buddies. Some people are easily amused.

Werehatrack

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 14:51:2518/12/2003
kwa
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:47:50 -0400, Chris Phillipo
<cphi...@ramsays-online.coim> may have said:

>> Matthew <matthew...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >And we know you're not the scam artist because ...?
>>
>> How would it make sense for him to run a scam and then post alerting
>> potential buyers to the fact that it's a scam?
>>

>That wouldn't make sense, what would make sense is someone trying to
>screw up a ligitimate auction because they hate the guy.

A legit auction wouldn't have stolen someone else's auction photos.
(The use of promotional photos from a manufacturer's website is
marginally less suspicious in the case of a packaged, unopened item,
but it's still not entirely without its problematic components.)

A legit auction wouldn't have stated that it was connected to a bike
shop that it was not involved with.

A private auction when selling goods of a non-embarrassing or
nonsensitive nature is a warning flag that fraud is possible.

A private auction for a costly item with all of the above
characteristics is pretty much guaranteed to be fraudulent in fact,
and this particular listing is known to be fraudulent in the first two
instances anyway.

I have long suspected that the reason eBay does not crack down on
these frauds faster is that there are people who will bid up the
fraudulent auction spuriously; this increases the final sale fee that
eBay can demand. Unfortunately, it leaves the door open for the scam
artist to harvest the bidder contacts from the reasonable-amount bids,
and attempt to "sell" the item to them.

I have purchased some expensive things on eBay over the years, among
them the car that I'm currently driving. I would have found the cited
listing *very* suspicious, even had the OP not flagged the factors
that I would have not known about.

Alex Rodriguez

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 16:09:2118/12/2003
kwa
In article <Hg9Eb.150218$dl.63...@twister.southeast.rr.com>, jr...@jrees.net
says...

>BTW, another red flag: Payment by bank transfer ONLY. caveat
>emptor, baby!
>
>$14,100.00 12-17 12:11:01
>$14,000.00 12-17 16:29:58
>$10,000.00 12-17 14:32:16
>$6,969.00 12-17 12:08:25
>$5,000.00 12-17 08:47:50
>$1,425.00 12-17 01:24:37
>$1,400.00 12-16 21:47:06
>$1,399.00 12-17 01:23:20
>$1,300.00 12-16 20:55:16
>$1,275.00 12-16 21:46:57
>$1,150.00 12-16 21:46:49
>$1,100.00 12-16 21:46:41
>$1,050.00 12-16 21:46:28
>$1,000.00 12-16 07:27:57
>$800.00 12-15 13:36:03
>$520.00 12-15 17:16:46
>$500.00 12-14 05:26:02
>$300.00 12-12 19:19:12
>$300.00 12-13 02:03:03
>$200.00 12-13 02:02:04

Seller is also no longer an ebay member. Another red flag.
-----------
Alex

Edward Dike, III

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 16:31:2318/12/2003
kwa

"Alex Rodriguez" <ad...@columbia.edu> wrote in message

Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay... did something.
ED3

Charles Beristain

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 16:52:3418/12/2003
kwa
There are plenty of phony Cannondale auctions up .. and we have been
known to put in outrageous bids just to make the point that they are
phony.

Ebay doesn't seem to be too interested in being made aware of these
phony bids... anyone found a convenient mechanism for reporting these
phony auctions?

charlie

chris

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 16:58:0418/12/2003
kwa
Who would pay $14,000 for a Lemond?

Winning bid: US $14,100.00 (Reserve met)

"Edward Dike, III" <edd3remov...@qwestion.net> wrote in message news:<g8kEb.492$mr4....@news.uswest.net>...

len

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 18:09:2218/12/2003

> I am the original poster regarding this scam. As soon as I saw the
auction
> I notified ebay, I notified the respective newgroups, and I emailed the
> seller. He promptly replied saying that he has a similar bike to sell.
> Knowing how automated ebay services are I took it upon myself to put a max
> bid of $17000 on the bike. From how the auction played out, I assume a
few
> other people decided to have some fun with it. When it ended I was
> immediately sent a pretty funny email. Instead of paying $14100, he
wanted
> me to suck certain parts of him and he wanted to do dirty things to my
wife.
> Happy holidays everyone,
> Chad

Go Ahead, man you are alright! Did good! I did a little investigation, last
night, I found your original e-bay. He did copy you. You got what I thought
was a fair price. I feel you were also a victim. It is a shame that you had
to do anything, most people would have done nothing. You know this guy has
commited an actual felony. ( Now think along with me for a minute. Suppose
that there is some enforcement agency that really cares. Now, they track him
down, by your email. He is convicted of a couple of felonies, and sentenced
to 10 years at real prison. Now, he gets an education in body parts
sucking.) fantasy over
Whatever, you helped keep some honest people from being victims too.
And, I'm sorry the situation, also provided me with excelent entertainment
Len

Hope his negative feedback does not hurt you {;<]

onefred

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 18:19:3618/12/2003
kwa
You;ve probably disrupted his flow of heroin money.

DiabloScott

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 22:43:0018/12/2003
kwa
Charles Berista wrote:
> There are plenty of phony Cannondale auctions up .. and we have
> been known to put in outrageous bids just to make the point that
> they are phony.
> Ebay doesn't seem to be too interested in being made aware of these
> phony bids... anyone found a convenient mechanism for reporting these
> phony auctions?
> charlie

What happens when you make these outrageous bids? Does the auction close
normally and then you just tell the phony seller that you have no
intention of going through with it? Are there ways of making outrageous
bids without risking your eBay rating?

--

meb

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 22:43:0118/12/2003
kwa
DiabloScott wrote:
> What happens when you make these outrageous bids? Does the auction close
> normally and then you just tell the phony seller that you have no
> intention of going through with it? Are there ways of making outrageous
> bids without risking your eBay rating?

Not only are DiabloScott's buyer ratings a concern but:

1) The phony bidders have themselves engaged in fraudulent activity and
could be expelled from Ebay;
2) and the phony bidders have entered a binding contract subjecting
themselves to a breach of contract suit by the phony reseller. The
phony bidders had full knowledge of the fraudulent bike shop
association before placing the bid, so they have no fraud defense to
fall back on should the seller file an action against them

Seems these phony buyers are taking a mighty big risk themselves in
their efforts to block an alleged fraud.

BTW: Several persons on this thread have misconstrued the resellers use
of the photos as a fraud. Since this is the same bike, there is no fraud
regarding the photos. There is a possible copyright right argument and
resulting cause of action that the photos were the intellectual property
of the original seller, but the reseller could argue a fair use defense
against any copyright infringement action and might prevail on the
infringement cause of action or at least find no willful infringement
existed precluding treble damages award for the value of the
photographic infringement. At any rate, the second innocent buyer lacks
a cause of action or defense on copyright issues for the photos, only
fraud for the misrepresentation of the reseller's association with the
bike shop. The only apparent fraud on the part of the reseller appears
to be the misrepresented association with the bike shop.

--

John Rees

hayajasomwa,
18 Des 2003, 23:18:3918/12/2003
kwa

"Edward Dike, III" <edd3remov...@qwestion.net> wrote in
message news:J%oEb.525$mr4....@news.uswest.net...

| "Alex Rodriguez" <ad...@columbia.edu> wrote in message
| | In article
<Hg9Eb.150218$dl.63...@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
| jr...@jrees.net
| | says...
| |
| | >BTW, another red flag: Payment by bank transfer ONLY.
caveat
| | >emptor, baby!
| | >
| | Seller is also no longer an ebay member. Another red flag.
| | -----------
| | Alex
| |

| Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay...
did something.
| ED3

And yet, eBay still decided to send me an email telling me how
much they were sorry I didn't win the auction:

ITEM NOT WON - SIMILAR ITEMS FOUND
Dear ********,Unfortunately, your bid did not win the following
item from gabri3l5:
Item name: Lemond Tete de Course Titanium Dura
Ace - New
Item number: 3645460915
Final price: $14,100.00
Your maximum bid: $6,969.00
End date: Dec-17-03 17:10 PST

Here are some other items on eBay you might be interested in:

MORE FROM THIS SELLER
View Seller's other items for sale at

SIMILAR ITEMS FOUND ON EBAY
Item name: 2002 Lemond Tete de Course Titanium
Bicycle
Price: $860.00
Bids: 8
End date: Dec-21-03 21:00 PST

Boyd Speerschneider

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 02:01:1119/12/2003
kwa
"John Rees" <jr...@jrees.net> wrote in news:z_uEb.174944$I53.6842666
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

> And yet, eBay still decided to send me an email telling me how
> much they were sorry I didn't win the auction:

You actually bid on it? Sucker ;)

- Boyd S.

Arthur Harris

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 08:00:4719/12/2003
kwa
"Charles Beristain" wrote:
> Ebay doesn't seem to be too interested in being made aware of these
> phony bids... anyone found a convenient mechanism for reporting these
> phony auctions?

About a year ago, I noticed a seller that had about ten auctions going, all
with unreasonably high minimum bids. For several days, there were no bids on
any of them. Then within a one minute period, one particular person bid on
every one of them (obviously a shill). I reported it to eBay, and got a
response back that yes it looked somewhat suspicious, but there was nothing
they could do about it.

Art Harris

Arthur Harris

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 08:10:0719/12/2003
kwa
"meb" wrote:

> The phony bidders have themselves engaged in fraudulent activity and
> could be expelled from Ebay;

> Seems these phony buyers are taking a mighty big risk themselves in

> their efforts to block an alleged fraud.

Agree.

> BTW: Several persons on this thread have misconstrued the resellers use
> of the photos as a fraud. Since this is the same bike, there is no fraud
> regarding the photos.

How do we know this guy even bought the bike in the first auction? He could
have just stolen the photos and put up his own fake auction. If it is indeed
a scam, he doesn't need to have the actual bike in his possession.

Art Harris

ajames54

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 08:56:5919/12/2003
kwa
excel_...@hotmail.com (chris) wrote in message news:<a7157f5e.03121...@posting.google.com>...

> Who would pay $14,000 for a Lemond?
>
> Winning bid: US $14,100.00 (Reserve met)
>
> "Edward Dike, III" <edd3remov...@qwestion.net> wrote in message news:<g8kEb.492$mr4....@news.uswest.net>...
> > "Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

snip

> > | I hope this helps,
> > | Chad
> >

> > Where did you transact the sale for the bike you ".... sold last week..."
> > eBay?...
> > What's the auction #?
> >

> > ED3

Sorry all I'm poasting through Google and am not yet used to how this
threads..

This is probably just another version of the re-mailer scam... the guy
that bought the bike from the OP is probably not the guy posting this
auction.

the scam runs basically like this

the scammer sets up people to act as re-mailers... often through "earn
money from home" style ads ... the people who take these jobs are told
that they will be receiving items and re-posting them/and or receiving
payments and transferring them. (the shipping recieving department is
swamped don't cha know) most often overseas or to another "cutout" ...

then the scammer posts auctions.. sometimes just cutting and pasting
an older auction. he or she also bids on items.

Payments are never made in winning auctions and items are never
received by winning bidders, and the simple schmuck who took the
re-mailer job is on the hook ... some of them have lost large cash
because they are responsible to the banks for the transfers they
originate..

Dave Kahn

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 09:28:5419/12/2003
kwa
meb <usenet...@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<9tuEb.24670$N35....@fe10.private.usenetserver.com>...

> The only apparent fraud on the part of the reseller appears
> to be the misrepresented association with the bike shop.

Unless I've misunderstood the whole situation the fraud is that the
"reseller" is not reselling the original bike, but that he is selling
a bike he does not have.

--
Dave...

D. Keith Arbuckle

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 10:21:2619/12/2003
kwa
Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de
Course, auction # 3647004827. This one is pretty good, this supposedly has
custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom paint". He also
states to "Check my feedback and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is
zero!

He is located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where does
he really live? Finally, personal checks or wire transfer are his only
methods of payment.

So what do you think? Sounds a little suspect to me.
-Keith

"Chad G" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on
> ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week. The current seller posted a
> very similar auction listing. He also used all the pictures that I took
of
> the bike. In his listing he stated that the bike is being sold through
> Freewheel Cycle...the shop I work at. Beware of people like this,
> especially this time of year. I figured I would bring it to everyones
> attention because there are 15bids on it already.
>
> The auction # is 3645460915

Chad G

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 10:19:1119/12/2003
kwa
I posted the original warning about the fake auction. As soon as I saw it
on Ebay I contacted the seller. He was quick to reply and his response was
very polite. From the original email I realized he knew absolutely nothing
about the bike he was selling. My first reaction to the auction was that he
probably had the same bike but didn't have photos and decided to use mine
(which doesn't bother me). Then I saw that he was using my place of
employment as the shop that is selling the bike. I found that irritating.
Then I posted to the newsgroups and ebay about the peculiarities of the
auction. At risk of getting negative feedback I decided to bid on the bike
and win it. Literally 1 minute after the auction ended he emailed me some
amusing threats. Funny enough, he keeps emailing me. The last message
stated that he's going to steal my user ID and then steal everything
associated with it. Whether or not he can do it, I don't know. I'm not too
computer savvy. I am a bit concerned for my credit info and paypal stuff
etc... But from the behaviour of the guy, I think he's just a dishonest
teenager having some "fun" (I hope).

On 12/19/03 9:28 AM, in article
57db8bde.03121...@posting.google.com, "Dave Kahn"

Ilambert

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 11:07:4019/12/2003
kwa
Run away,run away!
"D. Keith Arbuckle" <dkarbuckle-don't-need-t...@yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:WHEEb.100047$b01.2...@twister.tampabay.rr.com...

John Rees

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 11:24:5819/12/2003
kwa

"D. Keith Arbuckle" <dkarbuckle-don't-need-t...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de
| Course, auction # 3647004827. This one is pretty good, this supposedly has
| custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom paint". He also
| states to "Check my feedback and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is
| zero!
|
| He is located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where does
| he really live? Finally, personal checks or wire transfer are his only
| methods of payment.
|
| So what do you think? Sounds a little suspect to me.

Well, it looks like scam artists abound with Canada registered ebay logins.
Look at the bikes on offer from this seller. Brand new id and quite
a collection of bikes.
http://search-desc.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?satitle=bike&sotextsearched=2&saseller=116643637

For example, here is a Cannondale Scalpel offered by what appears to be a legitimate
seller, and is for a worthy charity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645818723

Here is mr sleaze bucket auction
Does the picture look familure?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3647007933

Rick Onanian

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 11:45:5319/12/2003
kwa
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:51:25 GMT, Werehatrack
<rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:
>>> How would it make sense for him to run a scam and then post alerting
>>> potential buyers to the fact that it's a scam?
>>
>>That wouldn't make sense, what would make sense is someone trying to
>>screw up a ligitimate auction because they hate the guy.

The OP said that he used those photos in an earlier auction; it
should be possible to confirm everything around that piece of
information.

>I have purchased some expensive things on eBay over the years, among
>them the car that I'm currently driving. I would have found the cited

You're driving and typing a message at the same time?
--
Rick Onanian

Alex Rodriguez

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 12:28:4219/12/2003
kwa
In article <J%oEb.525$mr4....@news.uswest.net>,
edd3remov...@qwestion.net says...

>Apparently the, oft maligned, do nothing behemoth, eBay... did something.
>ED3

Often they do nothing. This time they did something, but I think it was a
bit late. Hopefully they contacted all the bidders letting them know this
guy/gal was a scammer. That way they won't fall for the 'the high bidder
backed out and I am willing to sell the item to you for you high bid'
scam.
--------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 12:33:5419/12/2003
kwa
In article <WHEEb.100047$b01.2...@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
dkarbuckle-don't-need-t...@yahoo.com says...

>Seems like this guy is back again selling another 57 Lemond Tete de
>Course, auction # 3647004827. This one is pretty good, this supposedly has
>custom paint but there are no pictures of the "custom paint". He also
>states to "Check my feedback and bid w/ confidence" and his feedback is
>zero!
>He is located in UK, but registered in Canada on 18 Dec 03 -- so where does
>he really live? Finally, personal checks or wire transfer are his only
>methods of payment.
>So what do you think? Sounds a little suspect to me.

Ask where the bike is located. Then ask if you can inspect the bike in
person.
--------------
Alex

Charles Beristain

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 14:01:0719/12/2003
kwa
On quite a few of the Cannondale phony auctions, I've emailed the
seller and asked questions like:

1) where is the bike located... I would like to see it.

The answer is I can't see it as they are selling from a bike shop and
they can't mix internet and bike shop, as the internet prices are
much, much lower.

2) "wire" is the only payment method .. I find that uncomfortable..
what else can you do on payment.
The answer is, check or send half of the money and put the other half
in escrow ..

3) how come you have so many different sizes and seem to have a large
quantity.
The answer is that they are selling thru a bike shop .. and the bikes
can come from Holland or the U.S.. depending upon availability.

These guys just keep coming back in email trying to get me to send
some cash.

Ebay does NOT do enough to keep this stuff off the auction listings.
There are many "triggers" like no history/new ID, private auction, no
reserve, minimal starting bid, multiple auctions of the same product.

Ebay does not make it easy to report these fraudulent auctions

when we have placed phony high bids on these items, it seems to be a
trigger for ebay to look at the auction and always pulls it. Ebay has
not come back to us about it.

charlie

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:33:54 -0500, Alex Rodriguez <ad...@columbia.edu>
wrote:

Mike Krueger

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 15:47:1619/12/2003
kwa
<< Hopefully they contacted all the bidders letting them know this
guy/gal was a scammer. >>

Funny how *all* 20 of the bids were hidden to protect the user's identities,
including the ones that went to 3X the new retail price of the bike. You don't
suppose the guy was shill bidding his own auction, do you ;>0
BTW, the "seller" has been kicked off ebay-now "not a registered user"-good
riddance.

Werehatrack

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 15:55:5619/12/2003
kwa
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:19:11 -0500, Chad G <cha...@sympatico.ca> may
have said:

>I posted the original warning about the fake auction. As soon as I saw it
>on Ebay I contacted the seller. He was quick to reply and his response was
>very polite. From the original email I realized he knew absolutely nothing
>about the bike he was selling. My first reaction to the auction was that he
>probably had the same bike but didn't have photos and decided to use mine
>(which doesn't bother me). Then I saw that he was using my place of
>employment as the shop that is selling the bike. I found that irritating.
>Then I posted to the newsgroups and ebay about the peculiarities of the
>auction. At risk of getting negative feedback I decided to bid on the bike
>and win it. Literally 1 minute after the auction ended he emailed me some
>amusing threats. Funny enough, he keeps emailing me. The last message
>stated that he's going to steal my user ID and then steal everything
>associated with it. Whether or not he can do it, I don't know. I'm not too
>computer savvy. I am a bit concerned for my credit info and paypal stuff
>etc... But from the behaviour of the guy, I think he's just a dishonest
>teenager having some "fun" (I hope).

Probably not a teenager.

There are a number of professional thieves and frauds who have been
operating via eBay. It would be appropriate, at this point, to
contact your provincial police and to forward the information in your
possession to them.

The fact that eBay has removed the user's ID from active status is a
strong indicator that they also found reason to question the sale's
validity. The chances are good that the perp will pop up again with
yet another fake or stolen eBay ID.

BTW, stolen eBay IDs happen primarily when a foolish eBay user
receives a fraudulent email stating that they need to log into a
suipplied URL to verify some part of their eBay information, and in
the process, their ID and password is collected. (This probably
accounts for 90% of the stolen eBay IDs.) There are other methods,
though, and given the recent revelations about the lack of security in
Internet Explorer, it's probably wise to use some other browser unless
Microsoft finally decides to get serious about taking the idiotic
security-eliminating bells and whistles back out of IE.

TDWFL

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 17:49:2319/12/2003
kwa
> meb usenet...@cyclingforums.com wrote: >the phony bidders have entered a

binding contract subjecting
> themselves to a breach of contract suit by the phony reseller. The
> phony bidders had full knowledge of the fraudulent bike shop
> association before placing the bid, so they have no fraud defense to
> fall back on should the seller file an action against them
>
>Seems these phony buyers are taking a mighty big risk themselves in
>their efforts to block an alleged fraud.

Wouldn't this be like calling the cops because someone's stealing your pot
plants?

Tim

jim gravity

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 18:19:0919/12/2003
kwa
"John Rees" <jr...@jrees.net> wrote in message news:

> Well, it looks like scam artists abound with Canada registered ebay logins.
> Look at the bikes on offer from this seller. Brand new id and quite
> a collection of bikes.
> http://search-desc.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?satitle=bike&sotextsearched=2&saseller=116643637
>
> For example, here is a Cannondale Scalpel offered by what appears to be a legitimate
> seller, and is for a worthy charity.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3645818723
>
> Here is mr sleaze bucket auction
> Does the picture look familure?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3647007933

wow, that was pretty quick...looks like ebay already pulled the plug on that guy.

DiabloScott

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 20:56:3719/12/2003
kwa
meb wrote:
> The OP said “Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti

> Lemond for sale on ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week.” The
> subject is clearly bike, not photos. Neither photos nor auction pics
> were even mentioned at the quoted point in the post.
> One would have to be awfully cynical to jump to an accusatory assumption
> that the reseller is also selling a bike he didn’t buy premised upon a
> belief that OP meant more than he stated merely because there is a fraud
> identified elsewhere regarding the bike shop association.
> OP never said the reseller doesn’t have the bike the OP sold, he
> identified the photos as his and identified the bike shop listed is
> where he is employed (I thought it reasonable infer that since OP was
> employed at the bike shop, he would be in a position to know of an
> improperly advertised association and was making that accusation).

The OP is Chad - yes he did say the seller did not have the bike - he
did so in two follow-up posts. No jumping on accusatory assumptions is
required because Chad clarified the situation TWICE.

The fraudulent seller did not have ANY bike to sell and copied Chad's
photos from a legit auction that had already ended.

--

meb

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 20:56:3819/12/2003
kwa

[...]

Kevin

hayajasomwa,
19 Des 2003, 23:55:3719/12/2003
kwa
Check out this link. This may help tie all the pieces together with
the shady Ebay bike. HOpe this didn't get covered earlier in this
post but I didn't read it too thoroughly.

http://msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3730401&p1=0

Kevin

Arthur Harris

hayajasomwa,
20 Des 2003, 08:46:0020/12/2003
kwa
"meb" wrote:

> OP never said the reseller doesn't have the bike the OP sold, he
> identified the photos as his and identified the bike shop listed is
> where he is employed (I thought it reasonable infer that since OP was
> employed at the bike shop, he would be in a position to know of an
> improperly advertised association and was making that accusation).

The OP *did* say that at the very least, the seller had not bought the bike
he had sold.

He said : "My first reaction to the auction was that he

probably had the same bike but didn't have photos and decided to use mine
(which doesn't bother me)."

The OP goes on to describe the response he got from the seller: "From the

original email I realized he knew absolutely nothing
about the bike he was selling."

The fact that it was a private auction, the fact that the seller claims to
be in NY but is selling through an LBS in Ontario, and the fact that he has
no feedback should set off alarm bells. The fact that he is no longer a
registered eBay user is the clincher.

If that makes me "awfully cynical" so be it.

Art Harris

TomP

hayajasomwa,
20 Des 2003, 11:22:2420/12/2003
kwa
These scams are all over the place. A friend found a personal water craft at
"such a deal" on Ebay. He contacted the seller and said he'd pay the "buy it
now" price, pay in cash and come pick it up from the seller's, meeting place of
choice.

Well, the seller had more excuses as to why that could not happen. My friend
quit the deal. Three days later the same PWC was on Ebay again, different
seller ID and this time the seller was located in Italy, instead of
Atlanta,GA...

--

Tp

-------- __o
----- -\<. ------ __o
--- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<.
----------------- ( ) / ( )

Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

meb

hayajasomwa,
20 Des 2003, 17:56:1820/12/2003
kwa
Art Harris wrote:
>The OP *did* say that at the very least, the seller had not bought the
>bike he had sold.

>He said : "My first reaction to the auction was that he probably had
>the same bike but didn't have photos and decided to use mine (which
>doesn't bother me)."

>The OP goes on to describe the response he got from the seller: "From
>the original email I realized he knew absolutely nothing about the bike
>he was selling."

Not inconsistent with original post that it was a bike the OP sold
previously. Many people own bikes without understanding them. Half
the people out there don’t even known the displacement of their own
car engine. If you took a survey on many bike paths, you’d probably
find most people on bike don’t know what a bottom bracket or a
chain stay are.

>The fact that it was a private auction, the fact that the seller claims
>to be in NY but is selling through an LBS in Ontario, and the fact that
>he has no feedback should set off alarm bells. The fact that he is no

>longer a registered Ebay user is the clincher.

The misrepresented bike shop affiliation ought be enough to kick him off
Ebay independent of whether he had possession of the bike.

The private auction is an alarm, but not a very specific one. If selling
items via private auction on Ebay constituted evidence a seller didn’t
posses the item he was trying to sell, I’d speculate Ebay would
discontinue the practice. Could be the seller found it easier to conceal
shill bids elevating the sale price with a private auction.

As for the absence of feedback, how much feedback you would expect from
a first time Ebay seller? Are you insinuating most first time Ebay
sellers lacking feedback histories lack the product they are selling?
Every seller has to start sometime.

That post doesn’t show the lack of possession/authorization on the part
of the (re)seller.

Kevin’s link shows a lot permutations as to what may be going on, some
of which included persons receiving their products as part of identity
theft and bank fraud transactions. A lot of other possibilities have
been posted by others as well. It would be a lot easier to quickly be
detected and get prosecuted or sued for not delivering the goods he
didn’t posses than getting an elevated price through the fraudulent
misrepresentation of a bike shop sale.

This thread has split into at least 2 threads (probably from a cross
post or a subject line modification) making it harder to track all the
posts. If someone knows where it was stated by Chad that the seller does
not have the bike, could they identify the post and thread? I’ve yet to
locate any such statement by Chad.

It would be easy for Chad to clarify this issue if he has contacted the
purchaser he sold/delivered the bike to and confirmed purchaser still
owns the bike and the bike has not been sold or attempted to be resold
since bought from Chad.

--

Charles Beristain

hayajasomwa,
30 Des 2003, 23:29:5330/12/2003
kwa
more cannondale scams
Item number: 3650286010
Item number: 3650265868
Item number: 3650285975
Item number: 3650265897

these were up last week and pulled... and now are back again.

charlie

Mike McDonald

hayajasomwa,
6 Jan 2004, 01:52:5806/01/2004
kwa
Check around and you will find out allot about this guy. He has been doing
this for quite a while, and he seems to be really successful at it. It
always amazes me everytime I see him at it again. Got to the trader
feedback forum on MTBR.com for a history about this.

"John Rees" <jr...@jrees.net> wrote in message

Hanker

hayajasomwa,
6 Jan 2004, 11:35:0206/01/2004
kwa
re: Scam! Ripoff! Outrage!

Seems to be some confusion about Ebay.

1. You are not participating in an auction when you use Ebay - period.
2. Descriptions frequently omit or "badly" describe product details.
3. Use of someone else's pics for an identical item is very common.
4. Buyers and sellers do have mechanisms for recourse in the event of
outright fraud.

Tick Tack

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 01:11:1508/01/2004
kwa
Chad G <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<BC05F8AE.A26%cha...@sympatico.ca>...
> Just want to let everyone know that there is a 57cm Ti Lemond for sale on
> ebay. This is a bike that I sold last week.

1. Winning bidder has zero feedback;

2. Neither you nor the seller have given each other any feedback;

3. The transaction was over a month ago.

What's up with this scenario?

JB

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 10:17:2108/01/2004
kwa

Ilambert

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 14:57:1208/01/2004
kwa
Hi.Could you tell us what tips you off to the scam in that ad?It does seem
like a good price.
"JB" <JBI...@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message

Cathy Boland

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 17:40:2608/01/2004
kwa
The seller has only one feedback and it is negative.

"Ilambert" <ilam...@optonline.net> wrote in message

peter

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 19:19:5308/01/2004
kwa
Probably not a scam. GURU is a Quebec company and the seller is listed as a
Quebec, Canada resident. Besides would you try to scam someone with a
picture of a bike with no chain? Most of the scam auctions have
stock/catalogue pictures since the "seller" doesn't really have any stock.
Quebec residents are not that familiar (except for JayofMontreal) with eBay
and this seller may not realize what that negative does for his reputation.
(My steriotyping Quebec residents and eBay are made from observations).

Cheers
Peter
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

"Cathy Boland" <cboland@_DONTSPAMME_mindspring.com> wrote in message

Ilambert

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 20:47:4708/01/2004
kwa
Ya,that seems like it makes sense.Thanks

"Cathy Boland" <cboland@_DONTSPAMME_mindspring.com> wrote in message

Robert Strickland

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 22:25:4408/01/2004
kwa
> Probably not a scam. GURU is a Quebec company and the seller is
> listed as a Quebec, Canada resident. Besides would you try to scam
> someone with a picture of a bike with no chain? Most of the scam
> auctions have stock/catalogue pictures since the "seller" doesn't
> really have any stock. Quebec residents are not that familiar (except
> for JayofMontreal) with eBay and this seller may not realize what
> that negative does for his reputation. (My steriotyping Quebec
> residents and eBay are made from observations).
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Did you read what his negative feedback rating was for? Non-delivery of a
bicycle. May not be a scam but it doesn't sound like someone I'd do business
with.

Rob Strickland

JayofMontreal

hayajasomwa,
8 Jan 2004, 23:41:1108/01/2004
kwa
Hello Peter (fellow Montrealer) -- Cold enough for ya?

Remember when we use to have a track here? (sniff...)

I think you're right, that not a lot of Canadians (Quebecers included (oh!))
are aware of Ebay, sounds like the guy perhaps auctioned off something in
the past, and not understanding that if no one bid to a price he liked, he
had to sell it at the price it garnered.

I think anyone buying bike parts in Canada at the retail level needs their
head examined. As an example, I built an Eddy Merckx MXM carbon bike this
year, complete DA10, sweet wheels, everything the top-end-poop!. I built it
for about 60% of the US list price (which almost anyone with a little
knowhow can do). The price for the bike here, in Canadian $$$ worked out to
more than 200% of what I paid, additionally, slap another 15% in taxes onto
that.

One of the biggest problems in Canada is that the retailers are buying from
the US distributors, and paying top dollar, in some cases the Canadian cost
price on an item is the price that you can pay directly in the USA.

Jay
Freezing my butt at -27C

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com