e-bike news

AMuzi

Sep 21, 2021, 9:48:48 AM9/21/21

Andre Jute

Sep 25, 2021, 2:27:21 AM9/25/21
Another of the Peugeot 10-speed boyos expressing his opinion of electric bikes. File it under Freedom of Speech. --- AJ

AMuzi

Sep 25, 2021, 8:48:08 AM9/25/21
I did not express an opinion. I did enjoy the video!

jbeattie

Sep 25, 2021, 12:21:13 PM9/25/21
On Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 5:48:08 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/25/2021 1:27 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 2:48:48 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
> >> https://nypost.com/2021/09/20/citi-bike-explodes-on-subway-tracks-after-being-hit-by-oncoming-train/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Andrew Muzi
> >> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
> >> Open every day since 1 April, 1971
> >
> > Another of the Peugeot 10-speed boyos expressing his opinion of electric bikes. File it under Freedom of Speech. --- AJ
> >
> I did not express an opinion. I did enjoy the video!

Destruction of public property -- the bike and the train, and the delays caused, etc., etc. -- it makes me want a prosecution more than anything else. I feel sorry for the guys expecting to get somewhere on the R train or whatever it was. And I'd rather see a squashed escooter or eskateboard. And what about the poor rats that live on the tracks?

I like my ebike, which has been my trusty commuter during recovery. I was riding my meat bike up the street this morning after replacing a FD cable, and I thought the brakes were stuck on. Ebikes totally warp your internal effort/speed meter. I expend about the same effort on both, but one goes fast and the other doesn't. And when you exceed the assist level, its like riding on fly paper -- and I have to resist the urge to push the "+" button. It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know, I'll be on a Harley headed to Sturgis.

-- Jay Beattie.

AMuzi

Sep 25, 2021, 1:56:47 PM9/25/21

Lou Holtman

Sep 25, 2021, 2:05:09 PM9/25/21
On Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 6:21:13 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

> I like my ebike, which has been my trusty commuter during recovery. I was riding my meat bike up the street this morning after replacing a FD cable, and I thought the brakes were stuck on. Ebikes totally warp your internal effort/speed meter. I expend about the same effort on both, but one goes fast and the other doesn't. And when you exceed the assist level, its like riding on fly paper -- and I have to resist the urge to push the "+" button. It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know, I'll be on a Harley headed to Sturgis.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

I warned you. It is dangerous to start riding an E-bike. 80% never rides a normal bike again after a short time.

Lou

Andre Jute

Sep 25, 2021, 3:32:17 PM9/25/21
.
Not your opinion, the opinion of the fellow who threw the electric bike. -- AJ

Andre Jute

Sep 25, 2021, 4:20:50 PM9/25/21
.
Last year I was looking at the latest Honda Gold Wing with the autobox. But then I discovered that the local authorities demand, quite reasonably, that you ride a series of progressively larger bikes for a certain period before they give you a license for the big boys, and at my age I would probably have to renew the license annually, which is just too much of a nuisance. The last time I took a motorcycle license was roundabout my middle twenties, in Germany, moving up from a 350 Laverda that I kept in Johannesburg to Laverda's 750cc endurance racer. The tester thought I was some kind of a joker sending him up when I said, "I just want to ride it between opera houses." But I never came off it: it was an extremely fast bike but it was heavier than the contemporary fast bikes like the Ducati 750, and the engine was indestructible, so you'd set it at a corner much more like a BMW tourer or even a police bike than a short circuit racer, and come out of the apex accelerating hard, repeatedly into the red if that was your style; the designers told me it was designed to outlast a 24 hour endurance race, and it was in fact in 24 races it made its most famous mark. I think the bike from which mine was developed was the one sold in the States under the American Eagle brand, and I noticed when he invited me to inspect his bike that the American stuntman Evel Knievel rode a Laverda, presumably for its rock-solid handling that came from the weight being carried low. (Four main bearings plus an outrigger on a two-cylinder engine! One of my racing mechanics -- cars, not bikes -- when we opened it for a look said, "It's a tractor engine!" But many of the best Italian cars and bikes were in fact built by agricultural machinery makers, Lamborghini being the most famous; even Ferrari arose from the Avia electrical components factory the Commendatory operated between the time he left Alfa Romeo and when after the war he started building racing cars again.)

Andre Jute
I meet the age requirement

jbeattie

Sep 25, 2021, 4:52:31 PM9/25/21
I just did a fully meat-powered ride -- about 30 miles (actually more like 26.5, but I'm disabled and rounding up) with lots of hills, and the best I can say is that I made it home. My wife was lurking behind me on her ebike, which was simultaneously comforting and annoying. There are a bunch of rollers in the last few miles, and I always sprint this one nothing little hill near Lewis and Clark College (proudly Monica Lewinski's alma mater) https://tinyurl.com/xdjb3pdx I sprinted about half-way and then gave up. No legs at all. Time to crawl back in the iron lung -- but first I have to make sure the Vado is on the charger. Really, though, an ebike is the perfect recovery bike. You can throttle yourself if you want, or just hit the "+" switch on the bars and cruise along at maximum assist.

BTW, a spectacularly beautiful day with summer warmth and that early fall look. Global warming is really working out in Portland except for the whole heat-wave thing and no AC. I can live without the 116F days, but otherwise, the return of the rain will be depressing. And during my recovery, a lot of things make me nervous -- like zero traction on wet, oily roads.

-- Jay Beattie.

AMuzi

Sep 25, 2021, 5:22:24 PM9/25/21
On 9/25/2021 3:20 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
> [...]

eatedly into the red if that was your style; the designers told me it was designed to outlast a 24 hour endurance race, and it was in fact in 24 races it made its most famous mark. I think the bike from which mine was developed was the one sold in the States under the American Eagle brand, and I noticed when he invited me to inspect his bike that the American stuntman Evel Knievel rode a Laverda, presumably for its rock-solid handling that came from the weight being carried low. (Four main bearings plus an outrigger on a two-cylinder engine! One of my racing mechanics -- cars, not bikes -- when we opened it for a look said, "It's a tractor engine!" But many of the best Italian cars and bikes were in fact built by agricultural machinery makers, Lamborghini being the most famous; even Ferrari arose from the Avia electrical components factory the Commendatory operated between the time he left Alfa Romeo and when after the war he started building racing cars again.)

While no fan of regulation, that protocol is maybe not
ridiculous. In my area, some significant number of men my
age retire, buy the big Harley (local product) they always
lusted for, and promptly do themselves harm.

John B.

Sep 25, 2021, 8:11:32 PM9/25/21
Harley = harm isn't necessarily a correlation. I rode a motorcycle all
the way through collage and never fell off once while I've fallen
twice, seriously enough to break bones, on a "push bike".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Tom Kunich

Sep 25, 2021, 8:13:00 PM9/25/21
Jay, remember the plates and screws and don't do stupid things to prove to anyone that you're tough. All it takes if for one of those plates to come loose and you could be permanently crippled.

Tom Kunich

Sep 25, 2021, 8:20:46 PM9/25/21
Harley makes a very good sport bike, but most people want to look like a Hell's Angel or some such and buy a piece of shit with ape hangers, the largest engine and open pipes. A good Harley Sportster can be seen up on the mountain roads being ridden VERY politely while the play racers are taking up both lanes trying to get around corners like real racers. Following these Honda guys down steep descents they didn't have a clue as to the proper line. If they weren't all over the road I could have passed them.

AMuzi

Sep 26, 2021, 11:11:03 AM9/26/21
Right.
More like big bike + inexperienced rider

John B.

Sep 26, 2021, 7:23:13 PM9/26/21
Well, we don't have "big bikes" here in the sense of a humongous
Harley. In fact I'd guess that the vast majority of the motorcycles
here are 125cc or smaller and they still manage to have something like
85% of road accidents. Probable, at least partially due to the fact
that there are some 20,289,721 motorcycles and only 14,406,056 autos
and pickups registered in the country.

But, as I mentioned I rode a motorcycle while in collage and yes there
is a certain joy in swooping down the highway, free as a bird, with a
big grin on your face. It's not difficult to exceed limits, whether
physical or mental.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Andre Jute

Oct 2, 2021, 4:26:32 PM10/2/21
On Monday, September 27, 2021 at 12:23:13 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:

> I rode a motorcycle while in collage> --

Do tell, Slow Johnny. Was this an animated collage in which you rode the motorcycle? Were you put in the collage by accident because you're such a shortass? Or were you put in the collage as punishment because, as well as being a physical dwarf, you're a moral dwarf as well?

AMuzi

Oct 2, 2021, 4:36:49 PM10/2/21
Everyone here has his (or her, Joy) own errors of typing,
spelling, grammar and civility (you know who you are).

As with recent comments about President Trump, some
understand him, taking his words figuratively but not
literally (those who laud his policies). Others, seeking
anything dark, hear not his meaning, taking him literally
alone (overlook his policy victories while concentrating on
his obesity, crudeness and punishment of the English language).

I understood Mr Slocumb perfectly.

Tom Kunich

Oct 2, 2021, 5:50:43 PM10/2/21
I find it off that the idiots have to work so hard to misunderstand President Trump. Do you remember that same sorts that were AFRAID to do the same thing with President Eisenhower because they wouldn't live very long after doing so?

William Crowell

Oct 2, 2021, 6:23:42 PM10/2/21
"Do you remember that same sorts that were AFRAID to do the same thing with President Eisenhower because they wouldn't live very long after doing so?"

No, I certainly don't remember that, Tom, but I do remember that people were afraid to get in President Eisenhower's face because he was so smart that he would make mincemeat of their logic with his verbal responses.

Hey, remember during the 1960 presidential election when JFK couldn't find any real issues to raise, so he claimed there was a "missle gap", i.e., the Russians had more nuclear ICBMs than we did? Eisenhower was from the old school, and didn't believe that Kennedy would intentionally make up a lie like that for mere political gain, so in good faith he invited JFK to the White House for a briefing. He demonstrated beyond any question of a doubt that the U.S. had several times more nuclear ICBMs than the Russians did. Kennedy appeared to understand, whereupon Eisenhower asked him if he had any questions. Kennedy said he did not, and Eisenhower thought he would therefore stop making the false claim. However, JFK went right back on the campaign trail and continued to claim there was a missle gap. It is reported that Eisenhower found this to be extremely disheartening. he just wasn't used to dealing with people who would lie like that.

So I went for a pretty Long & Hard ride yesterday (long and hard for an old guy, that is) and rode home via the bike trail. I saw lots and lots of ebikes on the trail, but I was not at all impressed. The riders all looked pretty fat and out-of-shape to me as they whizzed past with their supercilious looks. I'm not in favor of banning ebikes from the bike trails, though, just because I don't happen to like them, because people should be able to do what they want whenever possible. Freedom of choice is always better than its opposite.

John B.

Oct 2, 2021, 9:17:55 PM10/2/21
Well, not really a defense, but a "collage" can be "any collection of
diverse things" and when I left home and parents for education in a
foreign land, and believe me Florida was a "foreign land" to a young
man raised in upstate New England, I did learn many strange and
diverse things (:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.

Oct 2, 2021, 9:25:03 PM10/2/21
Well when a guy says, "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and
shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters", it would seem difficult
not to think that he meant what he said, but feel free to tell us any
hidden meanings.
--
Cheers,

John B.

AMuzi

Oct 3, 2021, 10:11:54 AM10/3/21
I understood it.
It's a hyperbolic metaphor not literal intent to do mayhem.

Andre Jute

Oct 3, 2021, 5:19:26 PM10/3/21
You may understand Slow Johnny perfectly but I've given up even trying. I don't trust Wikisocalledpedia, nor people whose "knowledge" consists entirely of great big chunks of this wiki or that dished up out of context, misunderstood and undigested. Beside, the little man is exactly as I described him, a petty bully, so I kick him in passing, and am not particular about where my kicks land on so little a target.

Andre Jute
Zero tolerance for scum.

Andre Jute

Oct 3, 2021, 5:27:19 PM10/3/21
Tell us then, Slow Johnny, if you have a college degree, how come the US Army didn't offer you a commission as an officer? Or did they too discover your fractured character before it was too late?

Unsigned out of contempt.

John B.

Oct 3, 2021, 9:38:37 PM10/3/21
Are you sure? After all this is the guy who has been accused by 26
women of sexual assault or misconduct. One was in the changing room in
a clothing store. Who know what the guy would do if he had a gun.
--
Cheers,

John B.