Conti Grand Prix 3000

1 view

Jim

Feb 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/19/99
Any opinions on the Continental Gran Prix 3000 road tires? Besides the
price how are they? Interested in some feedback from people that have
ridden them along with other tires.

Thanks, Jim

B2723m

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
I've got two road bikes equipped with them and a mountain bike shod with
Double Fighter duals...I like them. A friend put the 700x25 on his bike and he
loves them.
One bike has had them for almost a year...wear has been about average but
the ride is twice as nice as anything else I've ridden. On the other hand,
Specialized has a new tire out (don't remember the model) that may be as good
or better.
Brad

CritUSA

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
Have u tried the new Michelin Axel Pro?

Peter Duthie

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
I have used them for two seasons for fast training. The only problem I had
was some sidewall damage to one tire.

In case you haven't used Continental tires before they run narrow. So if
you might want to consider purchasing one width wider than you might with
some other brand.

Peter

Mike Hasselbeck

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
I recently put on a pair of GP3000 clinchers to replace my worn out Conti
Super Sports. I know this is in no way quantitative (ie. purely
subjective), but I believe these tires are a bit faster. I have a
distinct feeling that I can make the bike go quicker, particularly on very
smooth pavement. (Of course, I may be getting into better shape which
could explain the difference) On the other hand, Continental indicates
excellent puncture resistance or something like that in their advertising;
I seem to get just as many flats as I did before.

John Harkness

Feb 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/21/99
I have used them for a year now and if there is one thing I can count on
is good puncture resistance. I have not had a puncture yet. Axial Pro's
might have better rolling resistance from my experience, still they are
less puncture resistant. The 3000's softer tread gives excellent
cornering abilities. I have complete confidence that if I need to lean
hard in a corner they will stick. True they do wear quicker so by all
means fill them to their max 120psi.

John

Martin Harker

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99

I have used them for a while now. They're ok but soft so they wear a bit
quick. Nice on corners and I run them at 115psi.

Matrin Harker

Jobst Brandt

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99
Jim (who?) writes:

> Any opinions on the Continental Gran Prix 3000 road tires? Besides
> the price how are they? Interested in some feedback from people
> that have ridden them along with other tires.

The tread looks like a wet road accident waiting for a sucker to take.
The tread rubber is grey and has apparently no carbon black, something
that should make anyone who rides in wet weather to suspect. These
tires seem to be primarily a fashion statement encompassing all the
latest features of color, esoteric tread pattern and small cross section.

Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Thomas Mark Fleckenstein

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
I love th GP3000s in the dry, but, as suspected below, they do not
ride well in the wet. Several people (including myself) went down in
a crit on Sat when it started to sprinkle. The Specialized Team
Turbos seemed to handle the wetness very well, but i dont like them as
much in the dry.

Steve Sloan

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
I had Conti 3000's come apart on me after about 400 miles. They started
shedding threads off of the sidewalls. I started arguing with my LBS
about them, then decided if they warrantied them I wouldn't want more of
the same.

I switched to Michelins...no complaints!

Steve Sloan
sl...@jmc.sjsu.edu

PFagerlin

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
>jn...@webtv.net (John Harkness)

>I have used them for a year now and if there is one thing I can count on
>is good puncture resistance. I have not had a puncture yet

And the God of flats chuckled...............never take his name in vain.
Pete Fagerlin

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've
forgotten this before. -- Steven Wright

Patrick Hansmeier

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
Hello,

> > Any opinions on the Continental Gran Prix 3000 road tires? Besides
> > the price how are they? Interested in some feedback from people
> > that have ridden them along with other tires.

Admittedly, I haven't used them or others of that diameter range. I
will just pass on what a test a german roadie-bike-magazine ('tour')
said autumn of last year. Some comments after that.

Conti GP 3000 was ranked the top tire among fourteen. They tested the
yellow version (at least that one is depicted) in 23mm. Runner-up was
Conti's GP 23, with rolling resistance slightly higher but dry-grip
slightly better. They regarded rolling resistance as more important,
that's where their ranking comes from. I'd have a look at the price
tag...

> The tread looks like a wet road accident waiting for a sucker to take.

Maybe I got s.th. wrong. I always thought tread does explicitly not
affect wet-grip at tire diameters bikes usually have (do I have to
exclude for-the-sake-of-discussion-deliberately-insane scenarios)?

As far as the 'podium' of said test is concerned: GP 3000 has a
mentionable tread, GP23 and Specialized Team Turbo (ranked 3rd) have
none to little. Dry/wet grip rated 'out of 5' is GP 3000: 3/3; GP 23
4/3; Spec TT: 4/2. These and even the rest do not look like 'rule of
thumb at hand'. To me.

> The tread rubber is grey and has apparently no carbon black, something
> that should make anyone who rides in wet weather to suspect. These

'Grey' indicates that you have a different tire/version in mind than
the one tested (depicted?) in the article I refer to (they say color
doesn't matter with the silica-compounds...). Anyway: in how far does
a tire's color affect grip? If you are referring to material: the
figures 'tour' gives are not conclusive in this regard, too.

> tires seem to be primarily a fashion statement encompassing all the
> latest features of color, esoteric tread pattern and small cross section.

To be honest: all this color/tread stuff sucks. There are cheap tires
of any color that are o.k., there are cheap "down the drain"s. There
are expensive "o.k."s and expensive suckers. Life is easy - your
choice.

Patrick

--
remove the spam-preventer from
my email-address to reply

Kevin McFadzen

Feb 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/23/99
ditto! all Conti's I've ever had failed at the sidewalls long before the
tread was done. I've also switched to Michelins and love how they last and
how they ride.
Kevin.
mcfakd.vcf

Reinhard Gruner

Feb 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/24/99
Sigh!
Are you telling me I have to keep a few sets of wheels (like the Grand
Prix Cars), one for rain, one for dry wheather? Maybe even exchange them
in the middle of a race?

Gregg

Mar 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/1/99
I went thru a pair more quickly than any tire I have ever rode. Of course I
was on a Softride Power V 650c w/ x 20 at 140PSI. Dry ride was excellent,
no crit riding just flat out. I just ordered a new pair for my Vortex, I'll
ride 'em softer and make 'em last. <g>.

Gregg

Jobst Brandt wrote in message <7as86p$qfl$2...@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>...

>Jim (who?) writes:
>
>> Any opinions on the Continental Gran Prix 3000 road tires? Besides
>> the price how are they? Interested in some feedback from people
>> that have ridden them along with other tires.
>

>The tread looks like a wet road accident waiting for a sucker to take.

>The tread rubber is grey and has apparently no carbon black, something
>that should make anyone who rides in wet weather to suspect. These

>tires seem to be primarily a fashion statement encompassing all the
>latest features of color, esoteric tread pattern and small cross section.
>

>Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Martin Harker

Mar 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/4/99

>Jobst Brandt wrote in message <7as86p$qfl$2...@hplms2.hpl.hp.com>...
>>Jim (who?) writes:

>The tread looks like a wet road accident waiting for a sucker to take.
>The tread rubber is grey and has apparently no carbon black, something
>that should make anyone who rides in wet weather to suspect. These
>tires seem to be primarily a fashion statement encompassing all the
>latest features of color, esoteric tread pattern and small cross section.
>
>Jobst Brandt <jbr...@hpl.hp.com>

Well I'm a sucker cos I use them, albeit in the dry.
I don't know what a GOOD tyre looks like and I didn't buy them for their
colors, I honestly thought they were better than the japanese ones that came
with my bike.

Martin, I'm prepared to listen to experts, Harker

Michaud

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Same here - the sidewalls are for shit.

Much happier with Vredestein's, cheaper too!

Bernie

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
Ahh Jobst, what do you know about bike wheels?