Hill Rides

Tom Kunich

Jan 28, 2023, 3:17:26 PM1/28/23
I cannot do anymore of the common hill rides until the dam roads have been repaired. I know a couple of routes that have been so badly damaged that cars no longer drive along them so they are not deteriorating as the others. But they connect to roads that have been severely damaged one had a car run into the telephone pole and the replacement was moved to another position that punctured a sewer line. Sewer water is acidic so even though i reported the puncture to the telephone company three different times, they ignored it and that acidic water ate though 3 inches of asphalt leaving a gapping trench where the road used to be. Cars ignore it breaking the road up still further. This means that coming out of the hills, you either have to negotiate that route very carefully of go down a very steep hill with heavy traffic and no bike lane. The hill is far too dangerous to use so you have to go across that trench. The remainder of the street isn't too badly destroyed but traffic pours out of side streets without looking. At the bottom of that is a freeway exit where the traffic exiting the freeway often doesn't expect any traffic and then after another three blocks you have to again cross over a freeway exit that feeds into a major street through Oakland.

I am used to all of this, but the worsening roads make the drivers unpredictable. Since the Democrats have been in power in California, they have made it clear that they have no intentions of repairing these damaged roads even after the voters voted extra taxes to do so.

This leaves me riding on gravel bike paths a larger and larger amount of the time and my memory from before my accident is missing so I don't know where a lot of these are. I remember that there was a gravel trail that went from the entrance of the parking lot in the entrance to the road to the bike path over Dumbarton bridge that went to Alviso but I cannot remember anything about if and if there are any twists and turns (which the trails out there have in excess) it would be easy to get lost and lose your way. The old Salt Ponds are down there and the service roads out around them could lead you very far astray.

This is one of the reasons that ALL of the companies are leaving California. And Governor Gavin Gruesome is talking about running for the Democrat Presidential nomination so he can do this to the entire country.

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 28, 2023, 10:34:48 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:17:24 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Sewer water is acidic

Nope. Before entering the sewer system and treatment plant, the sewer
water is suppose to be neutral (pH = 7)

From "Treatment Plant Operations" magazine:
<https://www.tpomag.com/editorial/2013/12/what_exactly_is_ph>
"Raw wastewater generally has a pH near neutral (7.0), although it may
vary between 6 and 8."

Industrial users are required to neutralize their wastewater before it
enters the sewer system. The acceptable limits vary for different
states, but they are all as close to neutral as possible to avoid
corroding the sewer pipes, plumbing and fittings.

Note: Kitchen sink chemistry experiment wastewater should be
neutralized before pouring down the drain:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/#img=kitchen-drain.jpg>
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/home/Plumbing/index.html#img=kitchen-sink-drain.jpg>

--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

funkma...@hotmail.com

Jan 29, 2023, 1:47:23 PM1/29/23
On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 10:34:48 PM UTC-5, je...@cruzio.com wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:17:24 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Sewer water is acidic
>
> Nope. Before entering the sewer system and treatment plant, the sewer
> water is suppose to be neutral (pH = 7)
>
> From "Treatment Plant Operations" magazine:
> <https://www.tpomag.com/editorial/2013/12/what_exactly_is_ph>
> "Raw wastewater generally has a pH near neutral (7.0), although it may
> vary between 6 and 8."
>
> Industrial users are required to neutralize their wastewater before it
> enters the sewer system. The acceptable limits vary for different
> states, but they are all as close to neutral as possible to avoid
> corroding the sewer pipes, plumbing and fittings.
>
> Note: Kitchen sink chemistry experiment wastewater should be
> neutralized before pouring down the drain:
> <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/#img=kitchen-drain.jpg>
> <http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/home/Plumbing/index.html#img=kitchen-sink-drain.jpg>
>
> --

Geeze Jeff, I thought for sure "ALL of the companies are leaving California" would have piqued your interest....

Jeff Liebermann

Jan 29, 2023, 2:27:17 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 10:47:21 -0800 (PST), "funkma...@hotmail.com"
<funkma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Geeze Jeff, I thought for sure "ALL of the companies are
>leaving California" would have piqued your interest....

I prefer to avoid the political comments that Tom likes to add to his
rants. Such comments, which include "companies leaving California",
are primarily there to attract attention to the author. Say something
outrageous and he will get everyone's attention. Unfortunately, that
works, as shown by the all too common topic drift found in bicycle
related discussions. Invariably, most discussions will rapidly shift
to politics, current events, guns, mass shootings, etc. I want no
part of these, so I try to ignore these topics as much possible.

It is also impossible for me to read every message and follow every
wandering topic. At over 100 messages per day, I don't have enough
time to read everything, much less produce a proper reply. In the
past, I would offer some hints on limiting the pollution, such as
"don't post anything that you wouldn't also consider reading".
However, that's not going to work in RBT. Too many people with hair
trigger sensitivity to any form of criticism. Best to leave things
alone.