Quick links

Mark Cleary

May 19, 2022, 7:42:24 PM5/19/22
I need a quick for Shimano 10 spd chain and I have used WIpperman they are the best. Does a Sram work with Shimano it should? I went to LBS today and they have them but said that is it not advised. To me based on information and experience this is stupid they will be fine. Does and anyone know and is the LBS full of crap?
Deacon mark

AMuzi

May 19, 2022, 8:34:35 PM5/19/22
On 5/19/2022 6:42 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> I need a quick for Shimano 10 spd chain and I have used WIpperman they are the best. Does a Sram work with Shimano it should? I went to LBS today and they have them but said that is it not advised. To me based on information and experience this is stupid they will be fine. Does and anyone know and is the LBS full of crap?
> Deacon mark

Haven't used a SRAM 10 link in a Shimano 10 chain but the
issues with incompatibility were mostly over 15 years ago.
We use a lot of KMC links in many chains including Shimano
without issues.

If the link cannot lock, you're out a few dollars but IME
that's quite rare nowadays.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tom Kunich

May 21, 2022, 7:26:41 PM5/21/22
On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 5:34:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 5/19/2022 6:42 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
> > I need a quick for Shimano 10 spd chain and I have used WIpperman they are the best. Does a Sram work with Shimano it should? I went to LBS today and they have them but said that is it not advised. To me based on information and experience this is stupid they will be fine. Does and anyone know and is the LBS full of crap?
> > Deacon mark
> >
> Haven't used a SRAM 10 link in a Shimano 10 chain but the
> issues with incompatibility were mostly over 15 years ago.
> We use a lot of KMC links in many chains including Shimano
> without issues.
>
> If the link cannot lock, you're out a few dollars but IME
> that's quite rare nowadays.

My experience is that KMC quick links all work well the firs use. After that it's a matter of chance. Some I've had last for years and other not work after the first installation. But the Wipperman ALWAYS works properly. As I said, pricing chains lately certainly surprised me They are now all far more expensive than they used to be.

Sepp Ruf

May 22, 2022, 3:52:49 AM5/22/22
Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 5:34:35 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
>> On 5/19/2022 6:42 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
>>> I need a quick for Shimano 10 spd chain and I have used WIpperman
>>> they are the best. Does a Sram work with Shimano it should? I
>>> went to LBS today and they have them but said that is it not
>>> advised. To me based on information and experience this is stupid
>>> they will be fine. Does and anyone know and is the LBS full of
>>> crap?

Even if the shop had gathered all the compatibility data, if anything
turns out less than perfect, they don't want to be blamed by a customer
who obviously was not sure himself about what to combine.

>> Haven't used a SRAM 10 link in a Shimano 10 chain but the issues
>> with incompatibility were mostly over 15 years ago. We use a lot of
>> KMC links in many chains including Shimano without issues.
>>
>> If the link cannot lock, you're out a few dollars but IME that's
>> quite rare nowadays.
>
> My experience is that KMC quick links all work well the firs use.
> After that it's a matter of chance. Some I've had last for years and
> other not work after the first installation. But the Wipperman ALWAYS
> works properly.

They'll all wear ("stretch"), wearing down the drivetrain faster if you
were to inherit them to your next chain(s).

> As I said, pricing chains lately certainly surprised
> me They are now all far more expensive than they used to be.

How could anyone have expected differently?

<http://allamericaninvestor.blogspot.com/2010/07/money-supply-m2-comparison-chart.html>

AMuzi

May 22, 2022, 11:48:49 AM5/22/22
That's right.
Like gasoline, rent, nice Italian Reds and everything else.